~ "The Greggie Award" ... Best Restauranteur

wheregreggeats.com
  • Total Posts : 4530
  • Reward points : 0
~ "The Greggie Award" ... Best Restauranteur - Sat, 06/23/12 11:48 AM
Aside from trying my hand at cooking lunch at "the lodge" ... one day a week, for precious few people, I've developed a huge respect for people who really do it up right.
I was eating a superb meal at a tremendous, one-of-a-kind restaurant yesterday and felt the owner would be worthy of a salute.

DEBORAH FLYNN owns THE EASTSIDE GRILL here in Northampton ... she took over the restaurant about 5 years ago and tweaked it, improved it, knew enough to leave it well enough alone, maintained quality, manages the kitchen, greets customers ... the whole works. 

My meal yesterday was a superb Cajun fish & chips with slaw off the 6-day-a-week bar menu ... I wouldn't have changed a molecule and it was everyday affordable.

I'm wondering if you have anyone to "nominate" who runs a ONE-OF-A-KIND place and gets everything right.

I'm guessing, from within our ranks, chewingthefat might qualify :)

lleechef
  • Total Posts : 6232
Re:~ "The Greggie Award" ... Best Restauranteur - Sat, 06/23/12 12:56 PM
I nominate Don and Margaret Varlamos, proprietors and chefs of Swiftwater Seafood Cafe in Whittier, AK.  The food is always superb, especially the halibut.  On the weekends they do a smoked prime rib that is killer.  No matter how busy they are, Margaret always makes time to come to the table to say hello.  If I only had time for one meal in AK, it would be there.

chewingthefat
  • Total Posts : 6097
Re:~ "The Greggie Award" ... Best Restauranteur - Sat, 06/23/12 5:02 PM
wheregreggeats.com

Aside from trying my hand at cooking lunch at "the lodge" ... one day a week, for precious few people, I've developed a huge respect for people who really do it up right.
I was eating a superb meal at a tremendous, one-of-a-kind restaurant yesterday and felt the owner would be worthy of a salute.

DEBORAH FLYNN owns THE EASTSIDE GRILL here in Northampton ... she took over the restaurant about 5 years ago and tweaked it, improved it, knew enough to leave it well enough alone, maintained quality, manages the kitchen, greets customers ... the whole works. 

My meal yesterday was a superb Cajun fish & chips with slaw off the 6-day-a-week bar menu ... I wouldn't have changed a molecule and it was everyday affordable.

I'm wondering if you have anyone to "nominate" who runs a ONE-OF-A-KIND place and gets everything right.

I'm guessing, from within our ranks, chewingthefat might qualify :)

Thank You!....I hope so, this biz is a tough row to hoe!

TJ Jackson
  • Total Posts : 4484
Re:~ "The Greggie Award" ... Best Restauranteur - Sat, 06/23/12 11:25 PM
Especially collecting all those coins from the pay-per-use toilets

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17837
Re:~ "The Greggie Award" ... Best Restauranteur - Sun, 06/24/12 7:00 AM
TJ strikes (out) again.

wheregreggeats.com
Re:~ "The Greggie Award" ... Best Restauranteur - Wed, 06/27/12 7:01 PM
lleechef

I nominate Don and Margaret Varlamos, proprietors and chefs of Swiftwater Seafood Cafe in Whittier, AK.  The food is always superb, especially the halibut.  On the weekends they do a smoked prime rib that is killer.  No matter how busy they are, Margaret always makes time to come to the table to say hello.  If I only had time for one meal in AK, it would be there.

Wow ... Coming from you, that is a major salute.

wheregreggeats.com
Re:~ "The Greggie Award" ... Best Restauranteur - Wed, 06/27/12 7:05 PM
I'll add RENNY & PENNY who own THE BRICKYARD in Daytona.
They keep a sliver of a place busy serving superb bar food (especially the burgers and CC'd grilled wings).
Again ... front of the house and a kitchen we can all see.
Superb servers ...