Smothered Cabbage

Double Cheeseburger
2004/02/27 10:53:45
In Michael Stern's review of Sgt. White's BBQ, he mentions a side of smothered cabbage. What is it, and does anyone have a recipe? I've never heard of it....
6star
Filet Mignon
RE: Smothered Cabbage 2004/02/27 11:00:22
quote:
Originally posted by Kristi S.

In Michael Stern's review of Sgt. White's BBQ, he mentions a side of smothered cabbage. What is it, and does anyone have a recipe? I've never heard of it....

Here is a website with a recipe AND pictures of the steps:
http://www.cookinglouisiana.com/Cooking/recipes/Vegetables/smothered-cabbage.htm
Art Deco
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Smothered Cabbage 2004/02/27 11:32:05
Pretty good recipe, though the salt pork and sausage really isn't necessary. Just cooking it with the bacon grease provides plenty of flavor...
Donna Douglass
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Smothered Cabbage 2004/02/28 17:36:57
I also found a recipe for smothered cabbage that didn't call for meat. I tried it and it is very good.

5 TBSP butter
2 TBSP flour (I used Wondra)
1 cup milk
1 cups shredded cabbage
salt and pepper

Make the roux (melt butter and flour together, add milk slowly stirring all the while and bring to boil. Add seasoned cabbage (salt and pepper to taste (I used 2tsp Kosher salt and 1/4 tsp pepper), cover and simmer on low 50-60 minutes.

It was very creamy and I think quite good. I posted this basic recipe in the tomato gravy thread, substituting can of diced tomatoes for the cabbage and think that would serve as a good tomato gravy.

Donna