Ice Cream advice needed.

holdem
  • Total Posts : 411
  • Reward points : 0
Ice Cream advice needed. - Mon, 07/2/12 3:58 PM
I'm in a festival next week that I've done for awhile. The comity has asked me to add ice cream to my menu. Which I agreed to do. It is going to be hot out during the festival and I have no A/C. I have an account with an ice cream company and plan to sell hand dipped ice cream. I have a chest freezer to put the ice cream in. I'm worried that with opening and closing the freezer a lot that it will melt. I thought about taking 2 freezers and rotating the ice cream back and forth. 1 freezer to serve from and one to store it. Any thoughts from someone that sells ice cream would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

jcheese
  • Total Posts : 739
Re:Ice Cream advice needed. - Mon, 07/2/12 6:02 PM
No experience, but keep in mind, cold air sinks, hot air rises. Unless the ambient temp is extreme, or the sun shines into your freezer, don't see a problem. Ever notice in grocery stores how many display cases have no lids?

Fried Pie Lady
  • Total Posts : 42
Re:Ice Cream advice needed. - Tue, 07/3/12 10:38 AM
I wish I had the answer for you but instead I have a question. I sell fried pies and have been thinking about buying a small tabletop freezer (small trailer - no room for a big freezer and I don't want to have to replace my refrigerator for one with a freezer) so I can offer ala mode. What kind of freezers did you go with?

Chicnscoop
  • Total Posts : 291
Re:Ice Cream advice needed. - Sat, 07/7/12 12:46 PM
Doing ice cream for a single event may be difficult. It took us about 1.5 weeks to get the dipping cabinets to stablize to a temp where you could scoop the ice cream properly and consistanly. (1) was too cold - making the ice cream too hard to scoop right and the other was leaving us with the ice cream a bit soft.

lornaschinske
  • Total Posts : 1610
Re:Ice Cream advice needed. - Mon, 07/9/12 11:29 AM
We just put a small 7 cf chest freezer in for ice cream. Had to take a rubber mallet to "reshape" the round containers slightly to fit 4 (staggered) in the unit. Minimum order is 5 tubs. We can't get the freezer above 0°F. But ice cream is scoopable. Choc Chip is the hardest though. We need to remove the lid and put a sliding glass top on it (dual pane double hung house window). Took two days to trying to get the freezer warm enough without shutting it off.

holdem
Re:Ice Cream advice needed. - Mon, 07/9/12 4:07 PM
Thanks for the help. What temperature would you recommend the freezer to be at?

lornaschinske
  • Total Posts : 1610
Re:Ice Cream advice needed. - Mon, 07/9/12 5:48 PM
I heard to shoot for between 0°F & 6°F (6 being better as the lower sugar content ice creams get really hard). We keep a thermometer in the freezer all the time.

holdem
Re:Ice Cream advice needed. - Wed, 07/11/12 3:29 PM
I checked my freezer. It was way too cold. Adjusting the temperature now before I put the ice cream in it.

Linairs
  • Total Posts : 8
Re:Ice Cream advice needed. - Sun, 07/15/12 10:51 AM
We are an ice cream truck so we know a little something about it. 0-6 degrees is correct. You want the ice cream at 6 but the freezer may need to be actually colder due to the opening and closing. We use a pizza type freezer with a lid. We totally remover the lid when we're busy or if the ice cream is too hard. I want digital thermostat for Christmas. For higher quantity events we bring a 16 cf chest freezer along. We have a/c in our trailer. Not having a/c makes a big difference down here if the lid is open much. Sun hitting your ice cream will too but can't see that being an issue with a chest freezer. Fyi Freezer compressors will spike your electricity when they kick in.

How much ice cream do you plan to move? Since it's not your main item the one freezer setup may work just fine for you. if you use a second freezer, monitoring the ice cream with a probe thermometer is better info than a freezer thermometer. If you're using one freezer you'll know when you scoop if it's not right.

Never had a freezer that I couldn't adjust to warmer than 0. I can go as warm as 20 no problem.

holdem
Re:Ice Cream advice needed. - Sun, 07/15/12 7:02 PM
We did the event. Everything worked out fine. We didn't sell a lot of ice cream so the freezer was not a problem. It was a 3 day event. We bought 4 tubs of ice cream and sold 90 percent of it. Thanks again for the help.

oqanani
  • Total Posts : 69
Re:Ice Cream advice needed. - Mon, 07/16/12 10:49 AM
Chicnscoop

Doing ice cream for a single event may be difficult. It took us about 1.5 weeks to get the dipping cabinets to stablize to a temp where you could scoop the ice cream properly and consistanly. (1) was too cold - making the ice cream too hard to scoop right and the other was leaving us with the ice cream a bit soft.

To ellaborate on this, you need a freezer that is adjustable.  The best temp for storing ice cream is between -5 degrees F and 0 degrees F.  For serving however the ideal temp is between 6 degrees and 10 degrees F.