Smashburger

Hamburger
2012/07/06 01:46:57
Arriving in my hometown next week.

Has anyone eaten here? Good? Bad? Indifferent? Opinions, please.

Their concept [except for apparently smashing mounds of beef on a grill] is similar to a popular Left Coast chain, The Counter. Ya customize to the limit.

If anyone can weigh in, burger loving sweetie and I would appreciate comments.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Smashburger 2012/07/06 02:27:16
Suggest you do a search on here. There's been a lot of discussions about Smashburgers.
kland01s
Filet Mignon
Re:Smashburger 2012/07/06 10:57:51
We have had one for almost 2 years now, I went 3 times shortly after they opened and then we got a better burger place and I have't been back since. I thought Smashburger was too salty and greasy. My vegetarian partner did like the salads though because they are a nice mix of greens and not your standard iceburg. They also have fried pickles and a nice veggies frite which are flash fried in a  tempura type batter.  
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Smashburger 2012/08/14 13:47:10
Totille,  have you been yet?  Is it open?  Guess that would help.

I've been to The Counter twice.

If it's similar it would not tempt me.
iluvcfood
Cheeseburger
Re:Smashburger 2012/08/14 14:32:05
There is a Smash burger just a couple of miles from us that opened a few months ago.
I had heard great reviews about their Burgers so I was anxious t try them out especially after our favorite Fuddruckers closed it's doors!
The wait was WELL worth it!  The place is on the smallish side but not the menu!  The meat is fresh, juicy and tender and the buns taste just like they made them on the spot! 
I LOVE them and highly recommend the place!
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Smashburger 2012/08/15 08:56:48
Foodbme

Suggest you do a search on here. There's been a lot of discussions about Smashburgers.

Indeed:  http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/tm.aspx?m=678391&high=smashburger

My initial infatuation with Smashburger has been tempered a bit by the fact that they use a strong seasoning.  Applied properly it is excellent; if a 'burger chef' lets the top fall off his seasoning shaker it's another matter entirely.  That said, I patronize them as often as I do Five Guys and continue to love both chains.
harleytexas
Cheeseburger
Re:Smashburger 2012/08/16 00:16:11
I went once, it was mediocre and not worth the price at all.
the grillman
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Smashburger 2012/08/20 13:41:12
it's better than Five Guys.  Burgers were fine, as you'd expect, the thin variety.  I tried the special garlic parmesan fries, and found them a bit too greasy for me; next time, I'll get the regular ones.

My favorite style of burger, though, is the thicker pub variety, about a 1/2 pound, cooked medium or medium rare.  Smashburger is closer to a Steak and Shake burger, not that there's anything wrong with that...
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Smashburger 2012/08/28 13:45:49
We've had two pop up within a 15-minute drive here in the Cincinnati area in the past six months.

Pretty good -- I think it's about on par with Five Guys. I'm not a huge fan of paying $7-plus dollars for a fast food burger, but I'll do it on occasion.
totillie
Hamburger
Re:Smashburger 2012/08/29 01:06:03
We Smash'd recently.

It was good. The fries could have been better. The wine/beer license is a plus. The burger was good beef, but a fast-food burger. But it was good. I would place it a solid third behind The Habit and In 'n Out, at least here. I do not like our Five Guys at all.

Mar, it's Counter-like, which I am also not fond of. They also list 'regional' specialties, and  I chose one of those - a Mushroom Swiss burger. My sweetie liked the custom choices, because he's picky about his burgers.

We'll go again. But we now have something like seven burger-centric places here - and that doesn't include the FF big boys -  and then with multiple local restaurants, as well as all the non-FF chains offering burgers. Geez.
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Smashburger 2012/08/29 01:18:47
Totille, it's interesting that you put it behind The Habit.  That's a place that I don't like at all.  Possibly the source for buns is different at your location than it was at the Sherman Oaks location. 

It was right across the street from my store so I had it often, even though it wasn't my favorite. 

My problem was that whenever or whatever I ordered on a bun...  the bun would fall apart in my hand as I was trying to eat it.

I like In n Out for what it is, but it's not a wonderful burger.

Our Counter serves raw meat as a standard.  Dark red, bluish raw meat that they call medium.  It's also way too expensive for what you get.

Do you have a Fatburger?  The one near me has great burgers at decent prices. 
totillie
Hamburger
Re:Smashburger 2012/08/31 00:42:14
Never a problem with Habit's buns here. How weird! I've been eating their burgers since their original location in SB in the 70's.

No Fatburgers here, they're about the only one who is not here. But a former roommate, four or five lives ago, worked at the Ralphs near the Beverly Center, and I used to meet a bunch of people at the FB store close by. Good stuff.
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Smashburger 2012/08/31 01:18:27
Very good.  I have one right across the highway.  I could/should walk there but of course I don't.

I'm surrounded by fast food or very expensive places.