Some comments on Germany

Filet Mignon
2012/07/09 07:37:21
Just returned from 10 days in Germany (Baden-Wurrtemberg, Hesse and Rhineland-Pfalz), visiting friends and enjoying food.
I was looking for regional highlights and luckily we didn't do "tourist" things. Here are few:

1. Summer local "wine festivals" : at this time of year, many local communities have "fests" which are like community "block parties."We went to 3 different ones near Heidleberg. They serve local wine and other snacks. Currywurst is popular, as are different pork grills with sauerkraut and potato salad. Its a fun thing, tables are set up in the local square, all the neighbors come out and drink and eat and hear local music (we have the high school band which was very good - lots of tuba!). The next morning they also meet for breakfast there!  I wish USA did this.
2. Homemade cakes: A common experience is to have gatherings where people bring home made cakes. We went to a large 60th birthday celebration with about 25 cakes, all different, all delicious, all beautiful (lots of fresh fruits on top, cream, cakes made from nut flour). Many Germans are excellent cake bakers. You go from table to table sampling. We also had a similar experience in one of the tents at a "weinfest" where you buy a slice of homemade cake, about $3 a slice. Yum!!
3. Local seasonal foods: Restaurants feature local favorites, in all sorts of varieties. Fresh just now were mushrooms in many recipes, trouts, rhubarb. Just finished asparagus season, also many recipes. Also many pretzel variations (bread, rolls, sandwiches, sweet dessert and just plain).
4. Castle foods: Heidleberg has a lovely fine restaurant inside (dinner included rabbit, raspberry souffle, and we ended with a concert of American pop music by the Heidelberg Philharmonic in the castle courtyard a night. Another day to Bad Homberg castle and lovely coffee/cake in their cafe. Wonderful and atmospheric.

If I think of more, I'll add. Sorry no photos, too busy eating.

kozel
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Some comments on Germany 2012/07/09 09:27:51
I'd be interested in the names of the places you visited in Baden-Wurrtemberg.
NYNM
Filet Mignon
Re:Some comments on Germany 2012/07/09 12:04:03
Heidelberg, Rohrbach, Weinheim, Mannheim, Ladenburg, Schwetzingen, Baden-Baden, Bad Schonbrun, Karlsruhe.

Also (other places) Bad Homburg, Maikammer, Speyer.
kozel
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Some comments on Germany 2012/07/09 15:01:12
Thanks, my ancestral home is Hollenbach near Mulfingen.  Some day we'll get there.
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Some comments on Germany 2012/07/27 06:34:07
Mein Gott, sie gehen nach Deutschland und bringen sie uns keine Fotos? Ach du leiber!
My God, you go to Germany and don't bring us any photographs?

I'm planning a trip there next year, I'll take plenty for both of us.
pjckmen
Junior Burger
Flagged as Spam (1)
Re: Some comments on Germany 2014/07/12 10:39:42
Germany will win the World Cup 2014 :D