Speaking of The Red Lobster

Sirloin
2012/07/09 15:14:20
A couple of weeks ago friends wanted to go to Red Lobster for their advertised $14,.95 dinner.  I think the Television commercial said there were maybe 9 different dinners to choose from.

So the four of us drive there.  It's not particularly close but those gorgeous $14.95 dinners were calling one out of four of us.  The other three of us knew better and were just letting him win this one battle.

We get there and there are people with vibrating disks all over the place.  There is a minimum 45 minute wait.  One of the three smart ones starts complaining about the wait, trying to sway Mr. Know-it-all from his choice.

He goes in to get his disk and a menu for us to peruse.

What happened next was perfect.  There were no $14.95 specials on the menu.  They were all $19.95.   WHAT?  All four of us had seen the commercials.  He goes back in to ask about the price.  He hates being taken and starts accusing them of bait and switch.  He's an idiot, but that's another story.  He wants his $14.95 dinner and now he doesn't want to wait for it.

Thank goodness he decides they're not getting his money. 

The reason for the price difference is what is interesting.  They told him that in California the prices are higher because of taxes.  I think that was just a made up on the spot answer because $5 a dinner???  Taxes???  They don't pay taxes on what they buy AND taxes are after the purchase, not part of it.

Anyway, the reason for this post is...

Why are prices $5.00 more per dinner in California?

iluvcfood
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Speaking of The Red Lobster 2012/07/09 15:52:11
IF you look CLOSELY at the footnotes on that commercial you would see that Ca. etc are "slightly" higher!
We went there a short while ago for that meal and it was only $15.99
It must depend upon the area of California in which you live in!
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:Speaking of The Red Lobster 2012/07/09 15:56:27
It definitely depends on where...many cities have their own sales tax on top of the state sales tax. I can't imagine it was five bucks worth of tax on a $15.00 meal (1/3 of the sale price!), but sales tax definitely varies by location.
post edited by felix4067 - 2012/07/09 15:57:28
Re:Speaking of The Red Lobster 2012/07/09 16:08:03
"He's an idiot, but that's another story."
Mar, do you have a wealth of entertaining stories that feature this friend of yours?
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Speaking of The Red Lobster 2012/07/09 19:02:45
Brad, are you trying to get me in trouble? 

(yes)
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Speaking of The Red Lobster 2012/07/09 19:04:17
Maybe the commercials should state....

$19.95 or under depending on location.  Tiny print at the bottom of a screen I'm not particularly paying attention to, anyway seems seedy.

Mileage may vary.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Speaking of The Red Lobster 2012/07/10 04:57:53
mar52
Maybe the commercials should state....
$19.95 or under depending on location.  Tiny print at the bottom of a screen I'm not particularly paying attention to, anyway seems seedy.
Mileage may vary.

Here's the Ad:
http://www.redlobster.com/menus/specials/?cmpid=RL_PPC_BNG_Intention%20%7C%20Desktop%20%7C%20Core_33351
It does have a disclaimer saying "Prices may vary in CA, NYC, HI and Canada" right on the front page.
That's the price you high rollers in LA have to pay for living in a smoggy, crime ridden, overcrowded, overpriced Paradise like LA!
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Speaking of The Red Lobster 2012/07/10 13:56:00
$5 per meal is a lot of "vary"

It's in the middle 70's here today. 

kland01s
Filet Mignon
Re:Speaking of The Red Lobster 2012/07/10 16:26:30
My late MIL used to give me Red Lobster gift certificates for every occasion at $100 amounts. I felt bad because she had Alzheimer's and didn't know..... she liked it when she was able so she thought it was a great gift. The best thing I can say about it is that you got a pretty nice salad, a baked potato and then some sea food item that shrunk over the years.
Cosmos
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Speaking of The Red Lobster 2012/07/12 13:22:18
Red Lobster has a terrific marketing team. I learned a looong time ago they cannot deliver food to match what they show on the commercials.

I think they should change the name to Rubber Shrimp....its more honest.
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:Speaking of The Red Lobster 2012/07/12 13:37:44
The one thing they do well is their cheddar bay biscuits. If I have to go there, I can easily make a meal out of them.

Of course, I would never expect anyone who lives on a coast to eat there, because you have a million other options. But for those of us who live in the middle of the country, where good seafood is often cost-prohibitive (I am not always able to pay $20+ for shrimp fettuccine), it's not awful. 
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Speaking of The Red Lobster 2012/07/12 15:33:58
I remember eating at the Red Lobster before it became a chain. It was in Florida -- Clearwater, I think. Peel and eat shrimp -- all you could eat -- $2.95. Same with lobster -- Florida lobster -- $4.95. And it was terrific food. We were excited when we read around 1974 that Red Lobster was opening in Columbus. What a letdown.
stricken_detective
Re:Speaking of The Red Lobster 2012/07/27 04:08:04
Just ate there last night, our meals were $14.95 for that special. They give you WAY too much food. After the soup & "salad" (I pick off the tomatoes & cucumbers, dip them in the dressing & give the bowl of iceberg back to them--blech) came a ginormous pasta dish & then a slice of pie. After maybe 5 bites of pasta we had them wrap up the rest & the pie.

The only thing they have going for them is those dang biscuits. And maybe the langostino mashed potatoes.

There was a family of 6 or 7 sitting at a table next to us. The waiter was trying to give them all their waters when a glass SHATTERED. It spooked the waiter, who lost his balance on the tray and DRENCHED this poor woman who was sitting there in ice & water from the other glasses because they tipped when he startled. She had on a yellow tank top & white shorts. At least she got cooled off, but wtf? Then the waiters yelled at us because we walked through their bar. I just said, "There's broken glass the other way, sorry!"

mar, not to put too fine of a point on it, but don't you live in Los Angeles? The City of Angels? It's that city that's...oh, I don't know...what's the word...located next to an...OCEAN???!?!?!?!? Why would anyone who lives in L.A. choose Fred Robster?

DawnT
Re:Speaking of The Red Lobster 2012/07/27 06:06:02
Why would they cite taxes? Even if there is a city and state tax, that's not figured into the posted price of a meal until the entire meal is totaled.

senor boogie woogie
Cheeseburger
Re:Speaking of The Red Lobster 2012/07/28 17:43:10

As a caveat, I have never really eaten in a Red Lobster. the reason is that my father disliked any kind of seafood whatsoever, including lobster, shrimp and catfish, sort of the default seafood meats for those who hate seafood.

Lobster itself is difficult to screw up. Boil the critter and then serve it on a plate with melted butter.
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Speaking of The Red Lobster 2012/07/29 00:44:05
stricken_detective,  It was not my choice to eat there.  The $14.95 ads were calling out to my friend.
stricken_detective
Re:Speaking of The Red Lobster 2012/07/29 02:36:21
mar52

stricken_detective,  It was not my choice to eat there.  The $14.95 ads were calling out to my friend.
Oh, I know. You made that very clear. I'm just wondering what kind of logic someone uses to visit a chain restaurant for seafood instead of something for fresh seafood near the shore? Was it the commercial + promised price that sucked your friend in? Where did you guys end up eating?

ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:Speaking of The Red Lobster 2012/07/29 10:04:41
I have a cousin in N.Carolina that loves to go to Red Lobster. We hate it, but she was our hostess. It always confounds me because she can get way better seafood there at little out of the way places, and pretty cheap, too. But, some of us are roadfooders, some of us are not......

MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Flagged as Spam (2)
Re:Speaking of The Red Lobster 2012/07/29 10:41:13
Excuse me, but isn't a discussion of high taxes POLITICAL?

As it is a historical fact that the California State Legislature has been under "one party" rule for the last half-century+, I believe any discussion of "high taxes" (or "unsustainable deficits" or "municipal bankruptcies", or "sanctuary cities", etc.) disparages that particular political party and its governing philosophy. 

I am offended.  Where's the moderator?
ces1948
Re:Speaking of The Red Lobster 2012/07/29 11:08:51
Even here on the East Coast of Florida the Red Lobsters are packed. Unfortunately most of our local places charge an arm and a leg (or should I say a fin and a claw) for seafood so I think that has something to do with it.
I haven't been to one in years but I have to say they have some tempting advertisements.
bartl
Re:Speaking of The Red Lobster 2012/07/29 13:28:50
I have heard the chain called, "McLobster."

One hint: take whatever "wood fired" choice there is, and order it "naked". You will get a decent piece of fish without all the salt, artificially flavored sauces, etc.

Bart
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Speaking of The Red Lobster 2012/07/29 16:02:53
Where we ended up eating wasn't any better than having to eat at Red Lobster.  Does Chinese Buffet give you a hint?

They shared the same parking lot and I was with very hungry people who don't know or have the want of decent food.  They just wanted food NOW.

My loss.
stricken_detective
Re:Speaking of The Red Lobster 2012/08/02 20:30:46
mar52

Where we ended up eating wasn't any better than having to eat at Red Lobster.  Does Chinese Buffet give you a hint?

They shared the same parking lot and I was with very hungry people who don't know or have the want of decent food.  They just wanted food NOW.

My loss.
That makes me sad. I know the OC has a lot of great little places you could've had seafood at. :(