Beware of the BBQ Metal Grill Brush

Filet Mignon
2012/07/11 08:46:17
According to this article, it could potentially kill you!
http://apnews.excite.com/article/20120710/D9VU6DFG0.html
carlton pierre
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Beware of the BBQ Metal Grill Brush 2012/07/12 05:55:03
Yikes!
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Beware of the BBQ Metal Grill Brush 2012/07/12 14:08:45
I always look for bristles in my food, metal or synthetic.

Brass bristled brushes are illegal in California, but still sold by many. Schwarzenegger banned them.
Re:Beware of the BBQ Metal Grill Brush 2012/07/12 14:20:50
Why were they banned?  Groundwater contamination?

This seems to be a popular subject in the grilling world these days.  General recommendations are to brush when the grate is hot (any crud will be looser and less likely to "grab" a bristle) and wipe it down with an oiled cloth or paper towel prior to cooking for additional cleaning.  Grill stones and scrubbers are other alternatives but the main thing is to keep the grate consistently clean.

mar52
Sirloin
Re:Beware of the BBQ Metal Grill Brush 2012/07/12 14:28:59
Brass bristles are toxic.  Don't know if it's for us humans or the water supply.

I clean prior to cooking when the grills are hot.  I also wipe it down to remove any possible bristle contamination.

If you have cast iron grates, the stones take away a layer when you're cleaning them.  Great for the grate replacement stores.

I use a Weber Stainless steel bristled brush. 
Re:Beware of the BBQ Metal Grill Brush 2012/07/12 14:35:01
It'd be interesting to see just what kind of brushes have been contributing to this apparent epidemic.  I'd bet that in the majority of the cases it's a cheap, poorly-made product and the plastic isn't as heat-resistant as it should be.
Zagut
Junior Burger
Re:Beware of the BBQ Metal Grill Brush 2012/07/12 15:15:36
As my father used to say. "It a wonder we're not all dead"
bartl
Re:Beware of the BBQ Metal Grill Brush 2012/07/26 22:18:51
I use a stainless steel wire brush on a battery powered drill. Works great.

Hmmmmm. Now I'm wondering if there's an attachment for an oscillating multifunction tool that would do the job well.

Bart
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:Beware of the BBQ Metal Grill Brush 2012/07/26 22:32:16
I've been using a brass bristle brush to clean my cast iron pots and pans for 25 years.
I'm still here! 
carlton pierre
Re:Beware of the BBQ Metal Grill Brush 2012/07/27 07:35:01
I'd never thought about the potential for a bristle to get left behind but it's certainly possible.  Hopefully the fire will burn it off.  I guess a metal scraper would be better.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Beware of the BBQ Metal Grill Brush 2012/07/27 10:25:03
The potential for issues to occur can happen and will happen.  We all dodge danger every day.  I am surethat the grill is one of them.  I suggest using caution with everything that you do including your grill, driving life and other issues.

Personally I do not know how to dodge danger.  Quit going to the theatre, don't drive, don't buy food or just do not live.  If the right one don't get you, the left one will.  Sooner or later.  Hopefully later.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
bartl
Re:Beware of the BBQ Metal Grill Brush 2012/07/27 16:04:03
carlton pierre I'd never thought about the potential for a bristle to get left behind but it's certainly possible.  Hopefully the fire will burn it off.  I guess a metal scraper would be better.

That's making me think more about the oscillating multifunction tool. For those not familiar with it, it's a tool that's been around for a couple of decades, but, because of patent issues, has only been widely available for the last 3-4 years. It oscillates for a very short distance at a very rapid rate, and carries attachments for sawing, scraping (note the relevance), sanding, and things like grout removal. I don't want to advertise any particular brand, but you can look it up on Youtube and see them in action for yourself (and you will see why I thought that there might be a useful grill cleaning tool attachment).

Bart
marzsit
Cheeseburger
Re:Beware of the BBQ Metal Grill Brush 2012/08/04 08:37:08
mar52

Brass bristles are toxic.  Don't know if it's for us humans or the water supply.

I clean prior to cooking when the grills are hot.  I also wipe it down to remove any possible bristle contamination.

If you have cast iron grates, the stones take away a layer when you're cleaning them.  Great for the grate replacement stores.

I use a Weber Stainless steel bristled brush. 

the danger is from cheap imported brass brushes, since most chinese brass contains high levels of lead, which makes the brass more malleable and flexible.  this danger applies to anything made from brass that comes from china, not just grill brushes.....

the fear is that the lead will contaminate the grill and transfer lead to the food.

stainless or plain steel is a better plan. won't last as long, but if you're afraid of lead poisoning..........