How do you keep track of your favorite restaurants?

Junior Burger
2012/07/11 14:10:32
Hey All!
I just joined, and this is my first post :)

My list of favorite restaurants is always growing, but I haven't found a great way to keep track of all of them.  My paper lists are inconvenient (and more often then not, I lose them), so I'm looking for an easy and reliable online/mobile tool.  I've checked out a few, but haven't found one I really like :/

Do you have any suggestions? I'd love to hear how you all are managing it, thanks! 
Birdhunter
Hamburger
Re:How do you keep track of your favorite restaurants? 2012/07/11 16:57:36
I keep a book and have 6 or 8 pages seperating each state.
I watch a lot of food channel's.
Then when I travel I plan my routes to a few of these eating places.
Works great.
post edited by Birdhunter - 2012/07/11 16:59:00
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:How do you keep track of your favorite restaurants? 2012/07/11 17:01:17
In my head........LOL!
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:How do you keep track of your favorite restaurants? 2012/07/11 17:56:35
I create files using my computer in "Documents". I have a file with sub headings for Recipes and one for Restaurants.
For restaurants, each state has a file and then sub files by food type- Breakfast, Mexican, Chinese etc. You can break it down even further - State, City, food type.
I also keep restaurant web sites in my "Favorites" by city.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:How do you keep track of your favorite restaurants? 2012/07/11 17:58:52
ann peeples
In my head........LOL!

Must be a very short list!!!
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:How do you keep track of your favorite restaurants? 2012/07/11 18:02:36
Some of us keep track in this thread.
joerogo
Filet Mignon
Re:How do you keep track of your favorite restaurants? 2012/07/11 18:12:42
The BadMan turned me on to Google Maps.  Create a map and keep adding your restaurants.  
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:How do you keep track of your favorite restaurants? 2012/07/11 18:27:53
buffetbuster
Some of us keep track in this thread.

I'm Confused----(Again)
How does one go about finding Buffetbusters list on that thread without going thru 8 pages of posts?
post edited by Foodbme - 2012/07/11 18:31:57
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:How do you keep track of your favorite restaurants? 2012/07/12 08:41:24
Foodbme-
I wasn't necessarily linking to my list, but it is on page 3 of that thread if you wanted to see it.  A few of us also mark our favorites, which ones we didn't care for, ones that are closed, etc.
ScreamingChicken
Filet Mignon
Re:How do you keep track of your favorite restaurants? 2012/07/12 08:47:07
You can search each page individually (Alt-E or Edit > Find on this page) for his name.  You still have to hit each page but at least you don't have to check every post.  He's about 1/4 of the way down page 3, BTW. 
kaszeta
Double Cheeseburger
Re:How do you keep track of your favorite restaurants? 2012/07/12 09:51:53
Places I've been I track on my website (offbeateats.org)
Places I want to try, I track via Google Maps (I keep a "Hit List" map)
mochamike
Junior Burger
Re:How do you keep track of your favorite restaurants? 2012/07/20 14:28:22
Hey Everyone,
Thanks for responding; at the suggestion of a few friends I'm going to use urbantag (urbantag.com)  at least for a while to keep track of favorite restaurants.  I really like how visual their site/app is, but it's pretty new so we'll see how it goes.

Thanks again! 
bartl
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:How do you keep track of your favorite restaurants? 2012/07/26 22:13:54
In order:

A) I take menus and/or cards from each restaurant you visit or plan to visit. Put them in a folder (stapling cards to menus).

B) I look at Yelp.

C) I look here. The easiest way to find a restaurant review here is to go to Google, and type out the city name, the word "restaurant" (without quotes) and (also without quotes), "site:roadfood.com". This helped me a BUNCH on an unplanned drive from Cape Canaveral to northern New Jersey.

Bart

stricken_detective
Re:How do you keep track of your favorite restaurants? 2012/07/27 01:50:23
Send yourself a text message. You can include the address & phone number from the back of the menu & what you ate there that was awesome.

When you receive the text, lock it so it doesn't get deleted.

(but mostly they are in my head)

Cosmos
Re:How do you keep track of your favorite restaurants? 2012/08/07 21:41:23
I post on UrbanSpoon so I have a defacto list...but I never really had a need to keep track of them..
ken8038
Re:How do you keep track of your favorite restaurants? 2012/08/08 07:45:59
Back in the early 90's when I first learned to use a spreadsheet for work I started making a list of places (including restaurants) in New Jersey that I wanted to go to. At the time it was primarily intended to keep track of places to take my kids. Over the years it's evolved into mostly a restaurant list (the kids are grown now) with over 1200 places, about 800 of which are restaurants. I've been to about 80% of the places, the others are on my perpetual "to do" list. I'm still adding to it, and also making a note when I hear of a place closing, and occasionally dropping a place when I see bad reviews.

Over the years I also expanded it with tabs for PA, Philadelphia, NY City, Upstate NY, Long Island, and CT. In other words, anywhere I'm likely to make a day or overnight trip.

So, I'm always set. It's been my go-to guide for about 20 years, I refer to it almost daily.