Gloves off For Oregon Chefs

Dr of BBQ
  • Total Posts : 3716
  • Reward points : 0
Gloves off For Oregon Chefs - Tue, 07/17/12 7:46 AM
No Gloves Needed For Oregon Chefs
The gloves are off in the debate over requiring restaurant chefs to wear the latex hand gear while preparing your food. The Oregon Health Authority is now shelving the proposed mandate that would have taken affect on July 1st.
Local chefs against the mandate said they needed to feel the food with their bare hands rather than with gloves while cooking, as long as they applied the double-washing hand rule.
The protests from the food service industry caused the Health Authority to work on a new provision.

chefbuba
  • Total Posts : 1952
Re:Gloves off For Oregon Chefs - Tue, 07/17/12 10:53 AM
What sucks is that I can see these guys not using gloves from where I'm located, but I'm required to use them. 

lleechef
  • Total Posts : 6225
Re:Gloves off For Oregon Chefs - Tue, 07/17/12 11:20 AM
I have always been anti-gloves.  The only time I use them is when I'm dealing with really hot peppers.

pnwchef
  • Total Posts : 2234
Re:Gloves off For Oregon Chefs - Tue, 07/17/12 1:02 PM
I agree with it, the Chef is touching food that is about to be cooked, or in the process of cooking. A good Chef will cook food using all his/her senses, feel, touch, smell, sight, taste, are all part of them creating the dish........pnwc

chefbuba is that because you under mobil guidelines by the health dept ...???????

<message edited by pnwchef on Tue, 07/17/12 1:09 PM>

RestaurantBiz
  • Total Posts : 36
Re:Gloves off For Oregon Chefs - Thu, 07/19/12 3:05 PM
Chefs should not be required to use gloves - they really do need to be able to feel the food. 

jcheese
  • Total Posts : 739
Re:Gloves off For Oregon Chefs - Thu, 07/19/12 4:33 PM
My inspector saw me chopping onions and peppers to be grilled with gloves on and said it wasn't needed cuz I was gonna cook them. Served raw would be different.