Slawsa

Sirloin
2012/07/21 11:18:00
http://www.slawsa.com/

Has anyone tried this product yet?  It was supposed to be in all Florida Publix stores effective July 15, but the two stores I queried had never heard of if.
kevincad
Cheeseburger
Re:Slawsa 2012/07/21 11:34:20
Adjudicator

http://www.slawsa.com/

Has anyone tried this product yet?  It was supposed to be in all Florida Publix stores effective July 15, but the two stores I queried had never heard of if.

It's in my local Ingle's so if you have Ingle's in Tallahassee, give them a try.
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:Slawsa 2012/07/21 14:17:10
Looks like a mustard base chow-chow.  I'd give it a try if it ever came up north.

Buddy
UncleVic
Sirloin
Re:Slawsa 2012/07/21 15:52:15
Hmmm... Spicy version sounds good!  Have to go snoop in my local Publix's relish section...
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Slawsa 2012/07/21 16:39:59
Looks interesting but hasn't made it to much of the Southwest yet.
I'd be interested to know the ingredients. Looks like a chopped cabbage and mustard mix.
HarryDunn
Junior Burger
Re:Slawsa 2012/07/21 17:50:34
Oh my gosh...yes, yes, yes.  Had a friend introduce me to it July 4th (well, the weekend before...we get thing started early in Charleston) and I will be a lifelong customer of Slawsa.  I haven't checked my Publix but got it at Piggly Wiggly here.  I know it looks a little like chow chow or heavily mustard but it's anything but and SO GOOD.  I highly recommend to buy it if its near you.  Our Pig only had the Regular flavor but I'd be interested in the spicy too.  It has a nice amount of heat to it, I like the crunch and it also has a nice moisture content.  We had Slawsa on brats and never will we go back to mustard.  I've since had on ham sandwich and pulled pork.  Whoever invested this stuff was a genius!  We'll be tailgating at UGA games all fall with our jar of Slawsa in hand.  Go Dawgs!
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:Slawsa 2012/07/21 19:52:47
Welcome to our fun forum's, Harry! Looking forward to more of your input!!
HarryDunn
Junior Burger
Re:Slawsa 2012/07/21 21:01:23
Thanks!  Actually, you may recognize Harry Dunn from "Dumb and Dumber."  Thought it might be a good handle!  What a cool site/forum.

Adjudicator
Sirloin
Re:Slawsa 2012/07/23 18:10:18
HarryDunn

Oh my gosh...yes, yes, yes.  Had a friend introduce me to it July 4th (well, the weekend before...we get thing started early in Charleston) and I will be a lifelong customer of Slawsa.  I haven't checked my Publix but got it at Piggly Wiggly here.  I know it looks a little like chow chow or heavily mustard but it's anything but and SO GOOD.  I highly recommend to buy it if its near you.  Our Pig only had the Regular flavor but I'd be interested in the spicy too.  It has a nice amount of heat to it, I like the crunch and it also has a nice moisture content.  We had Slawsa on brats and never will we go back to mustard.  I've since had on ham sandwich and pulled pork.  Whoever invested this stuff was a genius!  We'll be tailgating at UGA games all fall with our jar of Slawsa in hand.  Go Dawgs!

Ummm.  Go Noles  !
jcheese
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Slawsa 2012/07/23 18:44:06
Would be cool if they could send a free sample to pro's that may feature it on their menu. Their shipping costs more than the product.
will_work_4_bbq
Cheeseburger
Re:Slawsa 2012/07/25 07:16:45
Found some at Publix in Alabama last night.  It is on the condiments aisle but sitting with the organic and specialty items.  Cannot wait to try it!
joerogo
Filet Mignon
Re:Slawsa 2012/07/25 08:01:19
It looks very familiar.
kozel
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Slawsa 2012/07/25 11:03:22
The July issue of National BBQ News had an article on the product written by Kent Whitaker.
Adjudicator
Sirloin
Re:Slawsa 2012/07/25 18:15:20
kozel

The July issue of National BBQ News had an article on the product written by Kent Whitaker.

http://www.thedeckchef.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=289:slawsa-packs-flavor-and-more&catid=76:food-products&Itemid=217
ken8038
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Slawsa 2012/07/25 19:53:44
I just read this thread last night, and, having never heard of Slawsa, I checked where it might be available in NJ. It turns out there is only one place:

http://www.highlandmarket.com/

And, in an amazing coincidence, my wife and I had earlier decided to take a day trip today to the towns of New Hope and Lambertville, on the Delaware River. Driving there involved a short, but scenic, detour down Rt 519 to the one NJ source of Slawsa. It set me back $5.49 (it's a gourmet shop), which turns out to be just about the cost each if I ordered 6 of them from the Slawsa website, including shipping.

Interesting stuff, looks like that mustard based pickled condiment in jars everywhere, and yes, also looks quite a bit like Rutts Hut's famous relish, but it takes like neither. A little spicy, and worth a detour. It didn't knock my socks off like some of the reviews, but a nice change of pace. I may order a 6 pack.

So, thanks everyone for the tip.
Here's another on line article about the Slawsa people.
http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2012/apr/03/slawsa-family-recipe-launches-local-business/

kozel
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Slawsa 2012/07/25 21:20:38
Adjudicator

kozel

http://www.thedeckchef.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=289:slawsa-packs-flavor-and-more&catid=76:food-products&Itemid=217

Some of my news still comes by USPS, sorry I'm not up to the minute.
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:Slawsa 2012/07/25 21:44:19
No offense to Mr.Odom, but my family has been eating this kind of concoction for years..........my Mom always served this type of mixture on hot dogs, brats, etc....

ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:Slawsa 2012/07/25 21:46:02
Actually was sauerkraut,mustard and pickle relish mixed......

ScreenBear
Re:Slawsa 2012/07/25 22:46:05
Where I originally hail from, the Weequahic section of Newark, N.J., a hot dog with sauerkraut, mustard and sweet relish was called a Sweetworks. In my most fearsome nightmare, I am exiled to Elba, and given the choice of an unending supply of Sweetworks or that Jersey icon, the Italian Hot Dog, but not both. It is a daunting dilemma, and probably the main reason I never, in my travels, fall out of favor with the French Republic during the 19th Century. 

The Bear
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Slawsa 2012/07/26 00:57:04
ScreenBear

Where I originally hail from, the Weequahic section of Newark, N.J., a hot dog with sauerkraut, mustard and sweet relish was called a Sweetworks. In my most fearsome nightmare, I am exiled to Elba, and given the choice of an unending supply of Sweetworks or that Jersey icon, the Italian Hot Dog, but not both. It is a daunting dilemma, and probably the main reason I never, in my travels, fall out of favor with the French Republic during the 19th Century.  
The Bear

Be Careful or Dogbert will send you to The Republic of Elbonia!!
cavandre
Re:Slawsa 2012/08/27 18:58:12
Our local Publix finally got this stuff. They're stocking it with the pickles & relishes. It's a nice addition to a hot dog.
MellowRoast
Re:Slawsa 2012/08/27 20:30:46
Slawsa originates here in nearby Hixson, and I bought it at Walmart.  I thought it was  unremarkable and short on flavor, but I have friends who like it a lot.
post edited by MellowRoast - 2012/08/29 14:36:33
BR
Cheeseburger
Re:Slawsa 2012/08/28 17:06:24
Ive tried it. To me it tastes like chow chow with sugar and mustard added. It was $4.00 a pint including tax. I think if you added just a little mustard and a tsp of sugar(+/-) to some chow chow you'd be pretty close... and save a couple bucks.
If you like chow chow you'll probably like it. I do think it would work on a hot dog.
post edited by BR - 2012/08/28 17:07:31
MellowRoast
Re:Slawsa 2012/08/29 14:54:47
ann peeples

Actually was sauerkraut,mustard and pickle relish mixed......

Ann, I think I'd like that.  Is that dill or sweet pickle relish?
Phildelmar
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Slawsa 2012/08/29 15:17:36
Any sightings in the Delaware region?
sk bob
Re:Slawsa 2012/09/08 14:49:37
saw it in 2 local Publix.
haven't tried it yet.
tdj_tx
Cheeseburger
Re:Slawsa 2013/01/13 12:08:15
Foodbme

Looks interesting but hasn't made it to much of the Southwest yet.
I'd be interested to know the ingredients. Looks like a chopped cabbage and mustard mix.

It looks like chopped saurkraut and pickle relish with mustard to me. Could someone post the ingredients list? I might be able to clone the recipe, or at least something that tastes similar.
cavandre
Re:Slawsa 2013/01/13 13:42:51
cabbage, sugar, mustard, green bell peppers, onions, vinegar, carrots, salt, xanthan gum, spices & yellow dye #3.
tdj_tx
Cheeseburger
Re:Slawsa 2013/01/13 14:27:54
cavandre

cabbage, sugar, mustard, green bell peppers, onions, vinegar, carrots, salt, xanthan gum, spices & yellow dye #3.

Thanks! I never would have guessed green bell peppers. They have a spicy version as well, I bet it has some jalapeno pepper in it.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Slawsa 2013/01/13 15:07:36
Kroger stores here just began carrying Slawsa.
Re:Slawsa 2013/01/13 17:24:33
Michael Hoffman

Kroger stores here just began carrying Slawsa.

Michael, this is seriously good stuff, especially the Spicy! I got a case of Spicy and Regular, great on Hot Dogs or just straight up! 

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Slawsa 2013/01/13 17:40:59
I'm going to get some on my next visit to Kroger. I don't know whether they have the spicy version.
tdj_tx
Cheeseburger
Re:Slawsa 2013/01/13 17:45:53
cavandre

I just made a batch, turned out pretty good too. I want to tweak the recipe a little then I'll post a link to it. I live in Texas and there are no Krogers stores here so I figured I'd try and make it myself, plus it kind of fun.

ChrisOC
Re:Slawsa 2013/01/16 12:48:14
I checked my Walmart today, they don't have it
Benzee
Re:Slawsa 2013/03/19 15:28:00
Hello all ,
Just seeing the post now .
I gave a full report on our facebook page - Hot Dog Nation that John Fox and I moderate
Just had gotten a bottle  of Slawsa sent to me from Oklahoma and had to try it .
Great taste , different than rutts in taste  but similar to Mista Dales as well .
All in all I will be looking at purchasing a few of both mista dales and  slawsa in the near future .
Benzee