2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut

Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 61 to 120 of 122
nuggie
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut - Wed, 09/19/12 11:28 PM
I purchased two tickets to the CT tour on Sept. 29 and 30.  Now it's impossible to go.  Anyone want to buy?
<message edited by nuggie on Thu, 09/20/12 4:28 PM>

TnTinCT
  • Total Posts : 443
Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut - Thu, 09/20/12 4:40 PM
Any idea when we might see an itinerary for the weekend? We are looking to put together something for Friday night but would like to hit as many different places as we can, so trying to avoid duplicating anything on the tour list.

Michael Stern
  • Total Posts : 1021
Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut - Thu, 09/20/12 4:59 PM
TnTinCT

Any idea when we might see an itinerary for the weekend? We are looking to put together something for Friday night but would like to hit as many different places as we can, so trying to avoid duplicating anything on the tour list.

We will be bringing lots of donuts to the bus (along with some other goodies), but may not be able to get to Orangeside Luncheonette in New Haven for donuts, so if that's on your hit list, you should go. We've loaded more onto Saturday and hope to be back in Hartford Sunday early enough for people to catch flights at a reasonable hour.

Saturday is shaping up to be: The Lunch Box, Super Duper Weenie, Wave Hill Bakery, The Spot (Pepe's), Blackie's, The Big Dipper.

Sunday: Doogie's, Lenny & Joe's, Zuppardi's Apizza, Ashley's ice cream.

ChiTownDiner
  • Total Posts : 2659
Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut - Thu, 09/20/12 5:32 PM
That's a good start...need the afternoons next! 

Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle
  • Total Posts : 1350
Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut - Thu, 09/20/12 6:31 PM
Excellent! You got a steamed cheeseburger in, and you got the two best clam pies in the state, which should be interesting to compare. Only one hot dog place on Sunday - Michael, you are showing such restraint.

buffetbuster
  • Total Posts : 9811
Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut - Thu, 09/20/12 6:35 PM
That is a really nice mix of restaurants.  Glad there are two ice cream stops in there.  Since I have already been to Ted's and K. Lemay's, I love the fact that we are going to The Lunchbox for steamed cheeseburgers.

wanderingjew
  • Total Posts : 7411
Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut - Thu, 09/20/12 6:53 PM
I love the fact that Chi Town Diner will still be hungry after we're done !

jjylkka
  • Total Posts : 13
Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut - Fri, 09/21/12 8:29 AM
If you want a great Bahn Mi near the airport, try Pho 75.  Everything we've had there is delicious.

jjylkka
  • Total Posts : 13
Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut - Fri, 09/21/12 8:30 AM
The address for Pho 75 is:
Windsor Locks, CT 06096‎(860) 627-7575

wanderingjew
Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut - Fri, 09/21/12 8:43 AM
jjylkka

If you want a great Bahn Mi near the airport, try Pho 75.  Everything we've had there is delicious.

Paging Cousin Johnny

buffetbuster
Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut - Fri, 09/21/12 8:45 AM
WJ-
Now that's funny!

Ralph Melton
  • Total Posts : 788
Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut - Fri, 09/21/12 8:47 AM
Thank you very much for posting the itinerary. It's good to know that we have to stop at Dr. Mike's beforehand.

buffetbuster
Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut - Fri, 09/21/12 9:10 AM
During a family gathering last night, I was telling my twin nephews about the Roadfood bus tour.  Since they are both 15 and are eating machines, they thought it sounded like a lot of fun.  It is too late this year, (they already have other commitments), but don't be surprised if they are on next year's tour, where ever that may be. 

I already took them on their first Roadfood eating weekend with me earlier this year and they now love Cincy's 5-Way chili.

wanderingjew
Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut - Fri, 09/21/12 9:23 AM
buffetbuster

During a family gathering last night, I was telling my twin nephews about the Roadfood bus tour.  Since they are both 15 and are eating machines, they thought it sounded like a lot of fun.  It is too late this year, (they already have other commitments), but don't be surprised if they are on next year's tour, where ever that may be. 

I already took them on their first Roadfood eating weekend with me earlier this year and they now love Cincy's 5-Way chili.

Buffetbuster

Between my brother who thinks I'm completely out of my mind and certifiable for turning down bisquick for pancakes at the Blue Benn Diner 40 miles a way, and my nephews that "like" Taco Bell and Subway  on facebook and my cousin who has a sensitive stomach for bbq and southern food, I wonder sometimes if I was "hatched"

buffetbuster
Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut - Fri, 09/21/12 10:21 AM
wanderingjew

I wonder sometimes if I was "hatched"

So, so tempting, but I am going to take the high road!

WJ-
I give my sister credit for exposing the boys to all kinds of interesting foods.  They have both loved Indian and Thai food since they were small.  While we were in Cincy, they were eager to try goetta and loved it!  That's not something you typically see from someone their age.

TnTinCT
Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut - Fri, 09/21/12 10:50 AM
We live very close to the airport, so I thought I would share some nearby food ideas that aren't yet on the official Roadfood website if anyone is interested.(working to get photos and do some "official" reviews!) Unfortunately the way Bradley is situated you really need a car to get around, but these are all a pretty quick drive from the airport -
Little City Pizza – Simsbury – thin crust,  12 miles from Bradley, and a pretty drive – if Pepe’s Pizza is a 10, this is a 9.95 – we are regulars here. http://www.littlecitypizzaco.com/
Red Rose – family style Italian, great red sauce, and Italian pizza (not New Haven style) – Up Rt 91 to Springfield, 20 miles from Bradley – quick drive up the highway.  http://www.redrosepizzeria.com/
Plan B Burger Bar – local joint, now expanding into small regional chain. Exceptional burgers ,great beer list. Old railroad station so cool interior, too – Simsbury, 12 miles from Bradley. http://www.planbburger.com/flash.html
J Fosters Ice Cream – local – sits between Little City Pizza and Plan B Burgers in Simsbury (yep, there’s some great food in Simsbury!) http://www.jfostericecream.com/location.html
Right down the street on Rt 75 / Ella Grasso Tpke from the airport is Dairy Cream – great ice cream neon – they don’t appear to have a website, here’s an overview - http://windsorlocks.patch.com/listings/dairy-creme
Pho 75 mentioned earlier in this thread – have not had the bahn mi, but the pho is excellent, and the folks that run the place really nice. http://www.pho75.net/
Looking forward to seeing everyone!
Tim and Terri

mr chips
  • Total Posts : 4715
Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut - Fri, 09/21/12 1:26 PM
I hope all of you will enjoy a great tour. I will try to be with you in spirit though can't be there physically.

nuggie
  • Total Posts : 2
Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut - Sat, 09/22/12 10:41 AM
Hi Michael, Nuggie here.  I can't make the trip.  Have contacted Steve, but not response.  Can you assist?

ompollock
  • Total Posts : 3
Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut - Mon, 09/24/12 1:25 AM
I have a conflict next weekend and will be unable to go. If anybody would like to buy my extra ticket, please send me a PM,

Owen

buffetbuster
Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut - Wed, 09/26/12 3:29 PM
Well, ChiTownDiner is on the ground and blazing a trail.  During the next 24 hours, he has stops planned at Roadfood restaurants in all six New England states.  He is my hero!

wanderingjew
Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut - Wed, 09/26/12 3:35 PM
I'll be joining ChiTownDiner for the RI portion of his tour tomorrow

waltpiii
  • Total Posts : 378
Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut - Wed, 09/26/12 4:45 PM
Dale, Where are you going tomoorrow?

Walt

wanderingjew
Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut - Wed, 09/26/12 5:58 PM
waltpiii

Dale, Where are you going tomoorrow?

Walt

Walt, 

I have no idea, ChiTownDiner has the list

ChiTownDiner
Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut - Thu, 09/27/12 7:41 AM
Opening the day at The Friendly Toast in Portsmouth. Gotta luv this one...The Sklarmageddon Omelet...."an omelette built to kill"...seems to be calling me!

Ralph Melton
  • Total Posts : 788
Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut - Thu, 09/27/12 10:34 AM
I've had the Sklarmageddon in the Boston location of the Friendly Toast. It was a tasty omelet, but not nearly as metal as the name.

wanderingjew
Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut - Thu, 09/27/12 2:48 PM
Just completed the RI Portion of ChiTownDiner's  bite of New England (actually more like" great big chunk out of New England")  we actually started at Kelly's Roast Beef in Revere Beach MA and worked our way south.
He is now heading back to Connecticut to wreak havoc there...

ChiTownDiner
Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut - Thu, 09/27/12 11:31 PM
Dinner tonight included the Polish National Home for pieogies, stuffed cabbage, mashed potatoes, rye bread, kielbasa and haluski, followed by Chef's Dog House for GREAT dogs, burgers, conversation and a super condiment bar, followed by Luna Pizza for a veggie wsith garlic and a half margarhita/white clam, followed by Shady Glen and the unique cheese covered and fried hard burgers and dogs and more ice cream than we should have, followed by Rein's Deli for chopped liver and matza ball soup...whew!  Early wake-up call for White Hut which opens at 6:30am!

ompollock
  • Total Posts : 3
Still looking to sell my extra ticket for CT tour - Fri, 09/28/12 12:31 AM
Please email me if anyone if interested: owenpollock@gmail.com

ChiTownDiner
Re:Still looking to sell my extra ticket for CT tour - Fri, 09/28/12 8:51 AM
TTMd at White Hut...good donuts at Donut Dip....jamming at LaSalle Market and Deli in Colinsville....

billyboy
  • Total Posts : 2363
Re:Still looking to sell my extra ticket for CT tour - Fri, 09/28/12 9:41 AM
LOOOOVE the Donut Dip!  Enjoying your action shots on the FB!  Keep on truckin'!!

The Happy Fork
  • Total Posts : 4
Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut - Fri, 09/28/12 1:27 PM
I am in Harford early Friday night and would love to join in. I am up for anything. Just ping me the details. Brad
<message edited by bradvr on Fri, 09/28/12 1:53 PM>

The Happy Fork
Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut - Fri, 09/28/12 1:53 PM
I arrive early evening so if there is a group outing of any sort I am in. Just ping me here with any details. I am at the assigned Sheraton hotel. Brad

blizzardstormus
  • Total Posts : 274
Re:Still looking to sell my extra ticket for CT tour - Fri, 09/28/12 2:14 PM

Mom and I are on our way!

TnTinCT
Re:Still looking to sell my extra ticket for CT tour - Fri, 09/28/12 4:12 PM
ChiTownDiner

TTMd at White Hut...good donuts at Donut Dip....jamming at LaSalle Market and Deli in Colinsville....

AH - it's Big E time (Eastern States Exposition) - White Hut has a space at the Big E for their burgers, and the traffic is bad so they shut down their regular location during fair days.

paulde
  • Total Posts : 46
Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut - Fri, 09/28/12 5:08 PM
I am at thr Bradley Hotel.  Any plans for a get togather?

Paul

The Happy Fork
Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut - Fri, 09/28/12 6:47 PM
Paul and I are heading to Pho 75 for some dinner. Anyone else in town please drop bye and join us. Cheers!
<message edited by The Happy Fork on Fri, 09/28/12 10:47 PM>

Voyageur
  • Total Posts : 400
Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut - Fri, 09/28/12 8:24 PM
Just rolled in from Pepe's in New Haven. Had to experience the original & get a preview of Saturday.

Had the clam pie of course, a medium. Unbelievable. 

A lady asked if I was going to eat all that. She certainly didn't know me!

ChiTownDiner
Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut - Sat, 09/29/12 6:50 PM
A standing room only crowd enjoyed donuts al fresco from both vNeil's Donut and Bake Shop and Coffee An'...great seeing old friends and meeting new! 
Let's get this party rolling and off we went heading to The Lunch Box.  steamed chesseburgers, a regional delicacy were the order of the day.  Lots of combinations including the massive steamed cheeseburger omelet...wow!
Off to Sup[er Duper Wienie where our CIA trained owner displayed a wide range of toppings on a solid griddled dog.  We enjoyed ours with saukraut and sauce, chili, cheese and onions and threw in a solid cheesburger deluxe, fries and a B&W shake...all really good!
Wave Hill Bakery was next with oddles of bread and sandwich samples.  Throw in a triple nut brownie, an almond croissant, a GREAT club sandwich and French Toast on house made bread....so good!
The highlight - Frank Pepe's grandson describing his love for Pepe's Pizza and then showcasing a pizza buffet with over 10 different topping combinations!!!  Tal about luving your work!
The audible...Libby's Italian Bakery for cookies...so sweet, so soft, so damn good!
Blackies was up next fro deep fried dogs.  Tried em regular and well done with the spicey relish sauce they are known for!
Finally...love in a cup or cone as mother and son described their love affair with ice cream and the business they've built at Big dipper Ice Cream.
All are reviewed on Roadfood for additional info and I am sure folks will throwe in their comments as well. 
Day 1 - I'm luving it!

karilyn
  • Total Posts : 142
Re:Still looking to sell my extra ticket for CT tour - Sun, 09/30/12 6:13 PM
Had such a great time on the tour  . . . wonderful food but even more fabulous people!

Can't eat for days . . . 

The Happy Fork
Re:Still looking to sell my extra ticket for CT tour - Sun, 09/30/12 6:21 PM
karilyn

Had such a great time on the tour  . . . wonderful food but even more fabulous people!

Can't eat for days . . . 

Ditto that. Had a blast. Fun hanging out with the Sterns and fellow foodies. Now what's for dinner?
Brad

Michael Stern
Re:Still looking to sell my extra ticket for CT tour - Sun, 09/30/12 6:32 PM
From the Mayor of West Haven to the Roadfood Tour:

ChiTownDiner
Re:Still looking to sell my extra ticket for CT tour - Mon, 10/1/12 2:21 PM
Sunday began much like Saturday...only this time, it was Dottie's  Diner Donuts for everyone as we prepared to depart.
Breakfast was at Doogies where many folks partook in the monster 24 inch hot dog, available with many different topping combinations!
Next up, Lenny & Joe's Fish Time restaurant for HOT lobster rolls (as opposed to the cold lobster rolls found northwards), fried whole belly clams, shrimp and scallops (many other combinations were available) and shrimp chowder.  Great to get a fried seafood fix in. 
We finished the Tour at Zuppardi's Apizza in West Haven were the 3rd generation of the family told their story and we got to meet them all along with a good many of the 4th generation!  The fresh shucked white clam pizza (described on the today's Roadfood cover) was fantastic.
A great 2 days with a lot of really neat Roadfooders!
Thanks to Michael Stern and Stephen Rushmore for coordinating and planning this event.
And a special shout out to buffetbuster and Cousin Johnny who have made all 8 tours! 
Can't wait to start planning for next year...

buffetbuster
Re:Still looking to sell my extra ticket for CT tour - Mon, 10/1/12 3:21 PM
We flew back from Hartford this morning and I was back at work by 9:00AM. 

Speaking for myself, my girlfriend and cousin Johnny, we had a fantastic time!  There was a great group of people who really enjoyed participating.  The variety of foods this year made this one of the best tours yet.

I can't seem to find my cable to download photos off of the camera.  May have to go buy a card reader tonight.  Hopefully, I will be able to post some photos in the next few days.

wanderingjew
Re:Still looking to sell my extra ticket for CT tour - Mon, 10/1/12 5:14 PM
It was a short 1 hour and 45 minute drive back home for me yesterday afternoon.

The roadfood selections was fantastic, the company was even better, my girlfriend who lives about an hour from Hartford joined in for the Saturday evening festivities and she even had 3 slices of Pizza at 
Modern Pizza in New Haven and an ice cream cone (albeit child size) at Ashley's Ice Cream

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17855
Re:Still looking to sell my extra ticket for CT tour - Mon, 10/1/12 5:50 PM
Um, that's Modern Apizza.

wanderingjew
Re:Still looking to sell my extra ticket for CT tour - Mon, 10/1/12 6:01 PM
Michael Hoffman

Um, that's Modern Apizza.

oops 

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17855
Re:Still looking to sell my extra ticket for CT tour - Mon, 10/1/12 6:06 PM
And don't you forget it!

blizzardstormus
  • Total Posts : 274
Re:Still looking to sell my extra ticket for CT tour - Mon, 10/1/12 9:01 PM
WOW! What a fantastic time! Both Mom and I had a fabulous time, seeing old friends, making new friends and eating great food! Thanks for everyone's patience with my boot and wheelchair. I appreciate everyone's tolerance. Mom was excited about meeting with Jane again;   and Michael thank you for your graciousness. I know some were worried that I was not able to enjoy myself as much as others but I had 2 days of sitting next to Michael and picking his brain. What a rare treat!

My early vote for next year..Charleston!
<message edited by blizzardstormus on Mon, 10/1/12 9:03 PM>

ann peeples
  • Total Posts : 8317
Re:Still looking to sell my extra ticket for CT tour - Mon, 10/1/12 9:08 PM
WJ-you have a girlfriend? I am crushed..........lol! Glad you had a good time!

ChiTownDiner
Re:Still looking to sell my extra ticket for CT tour - Mon, 10/1/12 9:21 PM
He broke my heart also....

ann peeples
  • Total Posts : 8317
Re:Still looking to sell my extra ticket for CT tour - Mon, 10/1/12 9:34 PM
Glad you ALL had a great time!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ChiTownDiner
Re:Still looking to sell my extra ticket for CT tour - Tue, 10/2/12 7:46 AM
Anybody naming their favorite tour stop and/or favorite non-tour stop?

I enjoyed Zuppardi's and Pepe's almost equally with a dead tie between zip's white clam pie and Pepe's heirloom tomato pie which slipped into the mix as the last pizza out of the oven!

Non tour stop favorites included Bob's Clam Hut, Rich Farm and Mamie's...all tops in their categories!

Most frustrating...the time spent locating Clamp's even after a local gave us directions (no sign, no phone) and indicated it was still open...and it wasn't!  TTM'd!!!

wanderingjew
Re:Still looking to sell my extra ticket for CT tour - Tue, 10/2/12 8:15 AM
ann

After all the eating I did this weekend, I can truly say there is plenty of me to go around

Chi Town Diner

Don't fret, you had Cousin Johnny to console you the entire weekend

blizzardstormus

I think I speak for everyone that we were all so glad that you and your mom were there to join us in Connecticut over the weekend. 

buffetbuster
Re:Still looking to sell my extra ticket for CT tour - Tue, 10/2/12 8:37 AM
ChiTownDiner

Most frustrating...the time spent locating Clamp's even after a local gave us directions (no sign, no phone) and indicated it was still open...and it wasn't!  TTM'd!!!
That what I get for listening to some surfer looking dude in the middle of Connecticut!

Zuppardi's probably ended up being my favorite tour spot, although there was plenty of great competition.  Favorite non tour stops would have been Mamie's, Modern Apizza and Dr. Mike's.

Cousin Johnny's favorite place from the weekend was Goulash Place, while Mariton especially loved Wave Hill Breads.   

wanderingjew
Re:Still looking to sell my extra ticket for CT tour - Tue, 10/2/12 8:45 AM
buffetbuster

ChiTownDiner

That what I get for listening to some surfer looking dude in the middle of Connecticut!

Zuppardi's probably ended up being my favorite tour spot, although there was plenty of great competition.  Favorite non tour stops would have been Mamie's, Modern Apizza and Dr. Mike's.

Cousin Johnny's favorite place from the weekend was Goulash Place, while Mariton especially loved Wave Hill Breads.   

I've got to go with all tree Apizza Joints (on the official and unofficial tour) as my favorites- Pepe's Zuppardi's and Modern .
And then, Lenny and Joe's Lobster Roll would fall into second place...

buffetbuster
Re:Still looking to sell my extra ticket for CT tour - Tue, 10/2/12 8:49 AM
WJ-
You must have received a much better lobster roll at Lenny & Joe's than we did, because ours was not good at all.  No worries, the wonderful fried clams more than made up for that!

wanderingjew
Re:Still looking to sell my extra ticket for CT tour - Tue, 10/2/12 9:09 AM
buffetbuster

WJ-
You must have received a much better lobster roll at Lenny & Joe's than we did, because ours was not good at all.  No worries, the wonderful fried clams more than made up for that!

Just like I kept getting the better selection  of veggies in Atlanta
I liked it,  however that's probably because the last lobster roll I had  to compare it to in Manchester NH with Ayersian and Travelin Man was a complete fail

What were your thoughts on The Goulash Place? I thought it was just ok but doesn't even come close to Alex's place in Pittsburgh.

buffetbuster
Re:Still looking to sell my extra ticket for CT tour - Tue, 10/2/12 9:21 AM
I thought the food at Goulash Place was good, but nothing special.  The fact that it was our 13th stop of the day probably didn't help.  But, I would agree with you, Jozsa Corner is significantly better.

Michael Stern
Re:Still looking to sell my extra ticket for CT tour - Tue, 10/2/12 10:32 AM
Greg;

A few years ago I arrived at Clamp's at 2:05pm. They close at 2:00, on the dot, and despite my cajoling, would not make me a hamburger. Fortunately, someone at a table there recognized my dilemma and suggested I might want to drive over to Roxbury and a place called Mamie's: Travelin' Manned, but with a happy ending!

buffetbuster
Re:Still looking to sell my extra ticket for CT tour - Tue, 10/2/12 10:52 AM
Michael-
So that is how you found Mamie's?  That is a happy ending.  We loved that place. 

What I don't get about Clamp's is that they have no phone and no street address, other than just U.S. 202 in New Milford.  It's as if they really want to be kept a secret.   

Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 61 to 120 of 122