The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut

Change Page: < 12345 > | Showing page 3 of 5, messages 61 to 90 of 122
nuggie

• Total Posts: 2
Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut Wed, 09/19/12 11:28 PM (permalink)
I purchased two tickets to the CT tour on Sept. 29 and 30.  Now it's impossible to go.  Anyone want to buy?
<message edited by nuggie on Thu, 09/20/12 4:28 PM>

TnTinCT

Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut Thu, 09/20/12 4:40 PM (permalink)
    Any idea when we might see an itinerary for the weekend? We are looking to put together something for Friday night but would like to hit as many different places as we can, so trying to avoid duplicating anything on the tour list.

Michael Stern

Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut Thu, 09/20/12 4:59 PM (permalink)
      TnTinCT

Any idea when we might see an itinerary for the weekend? We are looking to put together something for Friday night but would like to hit as many different places as we can, so trying to avoid duplicating anything on the tour list.

We will be bringing lots of donuts to the bus (along with some other goodies), but may not be able to get to Orangeside Luncheonette in New Haven for donuts, so if that's on your hit list, you should go. We've loaded more onto Saturday and hope to be back in Hartford Sunday early enough for people to catch flights at a reasonable hour.

Saturday is shaping up to be: The Lunch Box, Super Duper Weenie, Wave Hill Bakery, The Spot (Pepe's), Blackie's, The Big Dipper.

Sunday: Doogie's, Lenny & Joe's, Zuppardi's Apizza, Ashley's ice cream.

ChiTownDiner

Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut Thu, 09/20/12 5:32 PM (permalink)
        That's a good start...need the afternoons next! 

Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle

• Total Posts: 1350
          • Roadfood Insider
          Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut Thu, 09/20/12 6:31 PM (permalink)
          Excellent! You got a steamed cheeseburger in, and you got the two best clam pies in the state, which should be interesting to compare. Only one hot dog place on Sunday - Michael, you are showing such restraint.

buffetbuster

Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut Thu, 09/20/12 6:35 PM (permalink)
            That is a really nice mix of restaurants.  Glad there are two ice cream stops in there.  Since I have already been to Ted's and K. Lemay's, I love the fact that we are going to The Lunchbox for steamed cheeseburgers.

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7407
              • Roadfood Insider
              Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut Thu, 09/20/12 6:53 PM (permalink)
              I love the fact that Chi Town Diner will still be hungry after we're done !

jjylkka

• Total Posts: 13
                Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut Fri, 09/21/12 8:29 AM (permalink)
                If you want a great Bahn Mi near the airport, try Pho 75.  Everything we've had there is delicious.

jjylkka

• Total Posts: 13
                  Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut Fri, 09/21/12 8:30 AM (permalink)
                  The address for Pho 75 is:
                  Windsor Locks, CT 06096‎(860) 627-7575

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                    Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut Fri, 09/21/12 8:43 AM (permalink)
                    jjylkka

If you want a great Bahn Mi near the airport, try Pho 75.  Everything we've had there is delicious.

Paging Cousin Johnny

buffetbuster

Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut Fri, 09/21/12 8:45 AM (permalink)
                      WJ-
                      Now that's funny!

Ralph Melton

Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut Fri, 09/21/12 8:47 AM (permalink)
                        Thank you very much for posting the itinerary. It's good to know that we have to stop at Dr. Mike's beforehand.

buffetbuster

Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut Fri, 09/21/12 9:10 AM (permalink)
                          During a family gathering last night, I was telling my twin nephews about the Roadfood bus tour.  Since they are both 15 and are eating machines, they thought it sounded like a lot of fun.  It is too late this year, (they already have other commitments), but don't be surprised if they are on next year's tour, where ever that may be. 

I already took them on their first Roadfood eating weekend with me earlier this year and they now love Cincy's 5-Way chili.

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                            Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut Fri, 09/21/12 9:23 AM (permalink)
                            buffetbuster

During a family gathering last night, I was telling my twin nephews about the Roadfood bus tour.  Since they are both 15 and are eating machines, they thought it sounded like a lot of fun.  It is too late this year, (they already have other commitments), but don't be surprised if they are on next year's tour, where ever that may be. 

I already took them on their first Roadfood eating weekend with me earlier this year and they now love Cincy's 5-Way chili.

Buffetbuster

Between my brother who thinks I'm completely out of my mind and certifiable for turning down bisquick for pancakes at the Blue Benn Diner 40 miles a way, and my nephews that "like" Taco Bell and Subway  on facebook and my cousin who has a sensitive stomach for bbq and southern food, I wonder sometimes if I was "hatched"

buffetbuster

Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut Fri, 09/21/12 10:21 AM (permalink)
                              wanderingjew

I wonder sometimes if I was "hatched"

So, so tempting, but I am going to take the high road!

WJ-
                              I give my sister credit for exposing the boys to all kinds of interesting foods.  They have both loved Indian and Thai food since they were small.  While we were in Cincy, they were eager to try goetta and loved it!  That's not something you typically see from someone their age.

TnTinCT

Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut Fri, 09/21/12 10:50 AM (permalink)
                                We live very close to the airport, so I thought I would share some nearby food ideas that aren't yet on the official Roadfood website if anyone is interested.(working to get photos and do some "official" reviews!) Unfortunately the way Bradley is situated you really need a car to get around, but these are all a pretty quick drive from the airport -
                                Little City Pizza – Simsbury – thin crust,  12 miles from Bradley, and a pretty drive – if Pepe’s Pizza is a 10, this is a 9.95 – we are regulars here. http://www.littlecitypizzaco.com/
                                Red Rose – family style Italian, great red sauce, and Italian pizza (not New Haven style) – Up Rt 91 to Springfield, 20 miles from Bradley – quick drive up the highway.  http://www.redrosepizzeria.com/
                                Plan B Burger Bar – local joint, now expanding into small regional chain. Exceptional burgers ,great beer list. Old railroad station so cool interior, too – Simsbury, 12 miles from Bradley. http://www.planbburger.com/flash.html
                                J Fosters Ice Cream – local – sits between Little City Pizza and Plan B Burgers in Simsbury (yep, there’s some great food in Simsbury!) http://www.jfostericecream.com/location.html
                                Right down the street on Rt 75 / Ella Grasso Tpke from the airport is Dairy Cream – great ice cream neon – they don’t appear to have a website, here’s an overview - http://windsorlocks.patch.com/listings/dairy-creme
                                Pho 75 mentioned earlier in this thread – have not had the bahn mi, but the pho is excellent, and the folks that run the place really nice. http://www.pho75.net/
                                Looking forward to seeing everyone!
                                Tim and Terri

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
                                  Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut Fri, 09/21/12 1:26 PM (permalink)
                                  I hope all of you will enjoy a great tour. I will try to be with you in spirit though can't be there physically.

nuggie

• Total Posts: 2
                                    Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut Sat, 09/22/12 10:41 AM (permalink)
                                    Hi Michael, Nuggie here.  I can't make the trip.  Have contacted Steve, but not response.  Can you assist?

ompollock

Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut Mon, 09/24/12 1:25 AM (permalink)
                                      I have a conflict next weekend and will be unable to go. If anybody would like to buy my extra ticket, please send me a PM,

Owen

buffetbuster

Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut Wed, 09/26/12 3:29 PM (permalink)
                                        Well, ChiTownDiner is on the ground and blazing a trail.  During the next 24 hours, he has stops planned at Roadfood restaurants in all six New England states.  He is my hero!

wanderingjew

• Location: East Greenwich/ Warwick, RI
                                          • Roadfood Insider
                                          Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut Wed, 09/26/12 3:35 PM (permalink)
                                          I'll be joining ChiTownDiner for the RI portion of his tour tomorrow

waltpiii

Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut Wed, 09/26/12 4:45 PM (permalink)
                                            Dale, Where are you going tomoorrow?

Walt

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                                              Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut Wed, 09/26/12 5:58 PM (permalink)
                                              waltpiii

Dale, Where are you going tomoorrow?

Walt

Walt, 

I have no idea, ChiTownDiner has the list

ChiTownDiner

Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut Thu, 09/27/12 7:41 AM (permalink)
                                                Opening the day at The Friendly Toast in Portsmouth. Gotta luv this one...The Sklarmageddon Omelet...."an omelette built to kill"...seems to be calling me!

Ralph Melton

Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut Thu, 09/27/12 10:34 AM (permalink)
                                                  I've had the Sklarmageddon in the Boston location of the Friendly Toast. It was a tasty omelet, but not nearly as metal as the name.

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                                                    Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut Thu, 09/27/12 2:48 PM (permalink)
                                                    Just completed the RI Portion of ChiTownDiner's  bite of New England (actually more like" great big chunk out of New England")  we actually started at Kelly's Roast Beef in Revere Beach MA and worked our way south.
                                                    He is now heading back to Connecticut to wreak havoc there...

ChiTownDiner

Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut Thu, 09/27/12 11:31 PM (permalink)
                                                      Dinner tonight included the Polish National Home for pieogies, stuffed cabbage, mashed potatoes, rye bread, kielbasa and haluski, followed by Chef's Dog House for GREAT dogs, burgers, conversation and a super condiment bar, followed by Luna Pizza for a veggie wsith garlic and a half margarhita/white clam, followed by Shady Glen and the unique cheese covered and fried hard burgers and dogs and more ice cream than we should have, followed by Rein's Deli for chopped liver and matza ball soup...whew!  Early wake-up call for White Hut which opens at 6:30am!

ompollock

Still looking to sell my extra ticket for CT tour Fri, 09/28/12 12:31 AM (permalink)
                                                        Please email me if anyone if interested: owenpollock@gmail.com

ChiTownDiner

Re:Still looking to sell my extra ticket for CT tour Fri, 09/28/12 8:51 AM (permalink)
                                                          TTMd at White Hut...good donuts at Donut Dip....jamming at LaSalle Market and Deli in Colinsville....

billyboy

• Total Posts: 2363
                                                            • Location: New York City, NY
                                                            Re:Still looking to sell my extra ticket for CT tour Fri, 09/28/12 9:41 AM (permalink)
                                                            LOOOOVE the Donut Dip!  Enjoying your action shots on the FB!  Keep on truckin'!!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345 > | Showing page 3 of 5, messages 61 to 90 of 122

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com