Cant find need help...

Hamburger
2012/07/28 06:09:28
Ok i have been researching and studying and there are two parts I cant seem to find. followed by some questions.  

The first is underneath the larger fold up concession windows people have drink holders dispensers etc.  All the people who I have met who have this in their truck say they dont know if its a custom thing or if its a premade insert one can buy?  Any answers about this?  Second if any of you have one, what are the pros and cons?  Im still in layout stage and trying to figure out if its worth the do. IE el guapo truck here in detroit

The Second piece I am curious about I typically see in Cali trucks.  They have that raised roof that looks like sky lights.  Usually they have solar pannels on them.  My question being is this a certain model trucks roof or is it purchasable.  I read a thread on roofs and I know i should be extremely careful but im curious.  Also with this type of roof is it not possible to do a ceiling exhaust?  All my reaserch says that is the way to go and doing side vents will turn out to be a regret.  Im also planning on the fan moving enough air that I wont have to install an AC unit.  Prolly add 1 or two ceiling vents... IE the nom nom truck in LA

Ok thanks in advance, I know this one is kinda strange and Im sure someones asked it, but my search didnt pull it up mainly because im sure the parts have specific names but I dont know them.

Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
Re:Cant find need help... 2012/07/28 08:46:12
Are you talking about a Cup Dispenser?There are dozens of companies that make them. Here is just one do a search and you'll find others but unless your doing fountain service or lemon shake ups in my mind they would be a waste.

(In-Counter)
http://www.velter.com/cup_dispensers_incounter.htm

The roof issue is here on road food do a search at the top of the page there are pictures and it's covered in a couple of threads.
Edit to add if you want a roof mounted exhaust your vehicle  can only be so tail by law (highway restrictions), underpasses etc. Otherwise you'd knock the top off your truck. LOL
post edited by Dr of BBQ - 2012/07/28 08:52:41
oqanani
Hamburger
Re:Cant find need help... 2012/07/29 23:05:45
Ok so I got extremely lucky this week.  I am so glad for people like you Dr.  and everyone in this industry.  Its nothing like the restaurant business, everyone is so friendly.  Its all about cross marketing and pollinating an area.  Creating a culture.

The insert i was talking about isnt a beverage dispenser.  Its an entire unit that runs the length of the window.  There are some that have ice bins, some that have drink dispensers, some that have chip racks etc.  as well as the actual windows.  From what I have gathered it is all custom builds and requires re enforcing the side of the truck because you are cutting away so much of the box..  

I was at a food truck rally this weekend, and I met a few truck owners, they all let me tour their trucks and one of the guys actually does builds.  He has built over 40 trailers and is extremely knowledgeable.  He showed me around his rigs and the differences in buildouts.  Now that I have seen some of the differences I have learned there are certain things I cant live without. 

The coolest thing I saw was one of his trucks didnt have a hot water heater...Instead the hot water tank was located above the grill.  The heat from the equipment kept the water beyond scolding hot.  

I have decided that roof top hood is just a bad move all around and I will be doing side exhaust.  There are too many issues with having a roof mounted air unit.  Like you said mainly clearance.  And I see the issues in the truck that I work in.  To do the roof modification that I want is expensive and I am going to pass on this truck but definitely on the next one.

Some other really cool things that cost more upfront but I pay off in the long haul is cold plate refrigerator and freezers.  They hold temp much much longer even without power.  I will be doing a propane generator that runs both AC and DC power.  I will be undermounting the generator and propane.  And lastly, im even more excited to get the ball rolling.
chefbuba
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Cant find need help... 2012/07/30 01:22:43
Double check with the HD on the cold plates. Most require mechanical refrigeration.
oqanani
Hamburger
Re:Cant find need help... 2012/07/30 08:14:48
chefbuba

Double check with the HD on the cold plates. Most require mechanical refrigeration.

Its kosher in oakland county MI.  There are several trucks that are already running cold plates and I had already discussed it with the inspector a few weeks ago.  I wonder why they dont allow them?
chefbuba
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Cant find need help... 2012/07/30 09:57:44
Cold plate can't keep a constant temp. Cold just radiates off the plate, the air is not circulated.