Ketchup on a hot dog, why not?

senor boogie woogie
  • Total Posts : 225
  • Reward points : 0
Ketchup on a hot dog, why not? - Sat, 07/28/12 5:51 PM

I was watching a Food Channel show which had several shows on the best of food in the United States. The one I enjoyed was the pizza episode. Mostly the New York and the New Haven styles. Then I saw the hot dog episode.

One "famous" hot dog place eschewed ketchup so much that they disallowed ketchup in their restaurants and actually had signs saying that no ketchup was allowed.

On my dog? Ketchup, sweet pickle relish and onion. Fantastic. Ketchup is no more ghetto than freaking French's yellow mustard. Mustard is OK, but why is mustard more acceptable than ketchup? The ketchup haters are idiots and it doesn't matter what you like on it. Sure, I can do without it, give me chili, onion, cheese and a small amount of ghetto mustard. But to have someone turn their noses up at ketchup is stupid.

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17815
Re:Ketchup on a hot dog, why not? - Sat, 07/28/12 6:27 PM
Are you sure you're not referring to hamburgers? There was a repeat last night of a Best/Hamburgers with one of the segments about Louis Lunch in New Haven, where catsup is banned.

lleechef
  • Total Posts : 6220
Re:Ketchup on a hot dog, why not? - Sat, 07/28/12 6:42 PM
I do not like ketchup on a burger, no way, but don't mind it on a hot dog.

CCinNJ
  • Total Posts : 7745
Re:Ketchup on a hot dog, why not? - Sat, 07/28/12 6:43 PM
Well...some places in this area have been in business for a long time. Maybe generations. If your Father or Grandfather saw to it that there was no ketchup served...you follow suit. Maybe because if you carry ketchup because some people want it...next the pizza parlors would have to carry ranch dressing so they don't hurt any feelings or scar a child for life.

Usually when you make the decision of what to carry or not (I bet most BBQ places would be thrilled if you asked for ketchup) along the way people might have put up a big fuss about not having it...to the point they all "I'll show you" and that usually does not work out very well here.
<message edited by CCinNJ on Sat, 07/28/12 6:46 PM>

Foodbme
  • Total Posts : 9546
Re:Ketchup on a hot dog, why not? - Sat, 07/28/12 9:18 PM
Man Law #64:
Ketchup on Hamburgers
Mustard on Hot Dogs
Sissy Law #2
Whatever

Michael Hoffman
Re:Ketchup on a hot dog, why not? - Sat, 07/28/12 9:23 PM
Boy are you in trouble.

CLVdog
  • Total Posts : 53
Re:Ketchup on a hot dog, why not? - Sat, 07/28/12 9:37 PM
I never agreed with the anti-ketchup on hot dogs phobia. To each their own. Ketchup is so good on other things. I don't use it on hot dogs but I would never wince if somebody else uses it.

CCinNJ
Re:Ketchup on a hot dog, why not? - Sat, 07/28/12 9:57 PM
It's not a phobia. Way back when hot dog carts existed only in certain places with old-school vendors who had a cultural connection to the hot dogs or were schooled by an old timer traditions were things that they upheld and it would be offensive to ask. Just like I would not ask for ketchup on my Lasagna. I wouldn't dare. So when people gasp...it's like when people insist their oven baked spare ribs are "BBQ" or beans or not in chili.
<message edited by CCinNJ on Sat, 07/28/12 10:14 PM>

stricken_detective
  • Total Posts : 2330
Re:Ketchup on a hot dog, why not? - Sun, 07/29/12 2:26 AM
"There are 2 kinds of people who put ketchup on a hot dog. Texans, and mental patients."

Name that movie.

I don't like ketchup on *anything*, much less a hot dog.

Yankeedoodle
  • Total Posts : 15
Re:Ketchup on a hot dog, why not? - Sun, 07/29/12 3:39 AM
stricken_detective

"There are 2 kinds of people who put ketchup on a hot dog. Texans, and mental patients."

Name that movie.

Bad news bears remake.

Captain Morgan
  • Total Posts : 503
Re:Ketchup on a hot dog, why not? - Sun, 07/29/12 10:41 AM
"Nobody, but nobody, puts ketchup on a hot dog"

Name that movie.

MetroplexJim
  • Total Posts : 3704
Re:Ketchup on a hot dog, why not? - Sun, 07/29/12 10:47 AM
There's nothing better on both burgers and dogs than Mezzetta's Sweet Bell Pepper Relish.

Michael Hoffman
Re:Ketchup on a hot dog, why not? - Sun, 07/29/12 11:07 AM
Captain Morgan

"Nobody, but nobody, puts ketchup on a hot dog"

Name that movie.

Actually, it's "Nobody ... I mean nobody puts ketchup on a hot dog."

Sudden Impact.

chewingthefat
  • Total Posts : 6093
Re:Ketchup on a hot dog, why not? - Sun, 07/29/12 11:34 AM
I like both ketchup and mustard on my dogs.

Mosca
  • Total Posts : 2929
Re:Ketchup on a hot dog, why not? - Sun, 07/29/12 2:22 PM
It's not really a big deal what you put on your hot dog, but IMO it's an homage to a larger world and larger traditions to not put ketchup on your hot dog. By not ketchuping your dog you are honoring those who have established a kind of love and discipline for enjoying a thing; you don't just enjoy the hot dog, you also enjoy being a part of a long tradition.

In truth, ketchup on a hot dog is pretty good. But regardless, put it on your fries instead.

John Fox
  • Total Posts : 2313
Re:Ketchup on a hot dog, why not? - Sun, 07/29/12 3:12 PM
I would sooner put ketchup on a steak from Peter Luger's than desecrate a hot dog with that stuff. Ketchup on a hot dog is an abomination. It just is. In fact, our Creator prohibited the stuff on the Holy Frankfurter. It was one of the Lost Commandments that was originally handed down to Moses.

I know that some argue "that's how I eat mine, and who are you to tell me otherwise?" Well, if you want to defile a perfect food, I can't stop you. I just wish that you wouldn't do it in public. It's a shameful act that years ago was only committed in the privacy of one's home. I have to admit that my son used to engage in this behavior. I was shocked and had to question my wife regarding the boy's paternity. Nonetheless he stopped this antisocial behavior when he turned 16. Part of it had to do with the maturing process, while the rest of it was because I had threatened to put him up for adoption. My wife and I spent a lot of time and effort administering some tough love in an attempt to turn my son around. I'm glad things turned out ok.

My daughter (24 and out of the house) never put ketchup on a hot dog. But for some inexplicable reason, she stopped eating meat at the age of 16. But that's another story for another day.

The topic of ketchup on a hot dog has come up frequently on Roadfood. I am an opinionated person, especially when it comes to hot dogs, beer, religion, and politics. But I have refrained, until recently, from commenting on this subject. Why? you may ask. Because it scares me. I've been reluctant to discuss the issue, but I feel like I can share something personal with my Roadfood family. According to my regular family, I spend more time on these forums listening to you people than them. Anyway, about two years ago I had the most horrible nightmare I've ever had. Fascists took over the country and the first thing they did was take away the right of law abiding citizens to own guns. Then they decreed that hot dogs must be eaten with ketchup. As leader of the opposition, I was arrested. The fascists wanted to make an example of me, so they put me on national television and tried to force feed me a hot dog with ketchup on it.

Just before they were able to pry my mouth open, I woke up in a cold sweat. I was so scared that I jumped in my car and drove to my childhood home. I crawled into bed between my elderly parents and even insisted that my mother go up into the attic and bring down my old teddy bear and security blanket. With the help of a loving family and a good therapist, I have been making progress dealing with my phobia.

This whole ketchup on a hot dog abomination should have been nipped in the bud. Because it wasn't, we are reaping the consequences. Reprobates have opened trendy hot dog restaurants (in New Jersey of all places!) and introduced all kinds of deviations from the traditional hot dog. In addition to ketchup, we now have such things as cream cheese, peanut butter, broccoli rabe, corn flakes, and eggs being thrown at us. And that's just some of the things. The rest I've blocked out, fearing a relapse and a possible return to the psychiatrist's couch. I shudder to think what might be next. The rumor going around in hot dog circles is that two twenty something guys are looking to open their own place soon. Their goal is to outdo the existing hot dog eateries where the focus is the crap piled on the dog rather than the dog itself. Proposed toppings include raisinets, gummy bears, rice crispies, oatmeal, and sweet tarts.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Michael Hoffman
Re:Ketchup on a hot dog, why not? - Sun, 07/29/12 3:32 PM
OMIGOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CCinNJ
Re:Ketchup on a hot dog, why not? - Sun, 07/29/12 4:48 PM
Mom...I've decided to jump off the bridge.

No. That will break my heart.

I decided to put ketchup on my hot dog.

What happened to the bridge?

Pitts
  • Total Posts : 78
Re:Ketchup on a hot dog, why not? - Sun, 07/29/12 5:18 PM
I also like Durkees Famous Dressing on hot dogs. If it tastes good eat it!!
Regards

Michael Hoffman
Re:Ketchup on a hot dog, why not? - Sun, 07/29/12 5:22 PM
I love Durkees, but the bottles I buy know their place -- and it's not on hot dogs.

pnwchef
  • Total Posts : 2230
Re:Ketchup on a hot dog, why not? - Sun, 07/29/12 5:42 PM
lleechef

lleechef and this little gal will slap you all silly if they don't get their way. Michael, you better agree or it just may be a TV dinner tonight. lleechef, Mollie say's any time girls night out, shes game. Girls rule, Boys Drool.......................

John Fox
Re:Ketchup on a hot dog, why not? - Sun, 07/29/12 6:05 PM
Hopefully she'll grow out of it.

pnwchef
Re:Ketchup on a hot dog, why not? - Sun, 07/29/12 6:47 PM
John, I just hope she always lives in a Country that lets her have that choice....

John Fox
Re:Ketchup on a hot dog, why not? - Sun, 07/29/12 7:07 PM
Oh come on. You don't think we're looking to ban ketchup do you?

pnwchef
Re:Ketchup on a hot dog, why not? - Sun, 07/29/12 7:34 PM
John, she already lives in that country that lets her think her own mind, eat what she likes. We were in Peter Lugers a few weeks ago, they didn't care if we put ketchup on our steak, they were just happy we paid the $150 lunch bill.....................

John Fox
Re:Ketchup on a hot dog, why not? - Sun, 07/29/12 7:59 PM
pnwchef,

I think you miss the whole point. What we're posting here mostly involves lighthearted humor. Seems many lack a sense of humor. It's one thing to make fun of ketchup on a hot dog. I'm entitled to call it foolish. But quite another to ban it. Or insinuate that some of us won't let her "think her own mind, eat what she likes."

It seems that those who cry the loudest for "tolerance, freedom of choice", etc. are the most intolerant when someone disagrees with them or criticizes their choices.

Let me repeat. My opinion is that ketchup doesn't go well on a hot dog. I think it's something for an unrefined palate. But that doesn't mean I'm looking to take away your freedom of choice.

You can put dog doo on your hot dog for all I care. Probably goes better with it than ketchup.

Mosca
  • Total Posts : 2929
Re:Ketchup on a hot dog, why not? - Sun, 07/29/12 9:47 PM
In other words, it's a fun thing to have a tongue-in-cheek argument over, and write fun tongue-in-cheek screeds about. Well done, Mr Fox. Good screed.

wanderingjew
  • Total Posts : 7384
Re:Ketchup on a hot dog, why not? - Mon, 07/30/12 6:42 AM
I'm just glad this innane dribble (yes dribble, not drivel) finally got moved off the front page

joerogo
  • Total Posts : 4463
Re:Ketchup on a hot dog, why not? - Mon, 07/30/12 1:16 PM
And I thought the 381 Posts HERE would have been enough to put this subject to bed. 

bartl
  • Total Posts : 1208
Re:Ketchup on a hot dog, why not? - Mon, 07/30/12 2:48 PM
John Fox

Oh come on. You don't think we're looking to ban ketchup do you?

Shhhhh! New York City's Mayor Bloomberg may hear you!!!!

Bart

John Fox
Re:Ketchup on a hot dog, why not? - Tue, 07/31/12 7:59 AM
Did you see him at the Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest? Apparently he has no problem with someone eating 68 hot dogs in 10 minutes as long as they don't wash them down with a large soda.

lleechef
  • Total Posts : 6220
Re:Ketchup on a hot dog, why not? - Tue, 07/31/12 11:20 AM
pnwchef,

Tell Mollie I said, "You Go Girl"!!!!

CCinNJ
Re:Ketchup on a hot dog, why not? - Tue, 07/31/12 12:22 PM
I'm sure he got a photo with the Nathan's Mustard Yellow Belt.

Tony Bad
  • Total Posts : 5114
Re:Ketchup on a hot dog, why not? - Tue, 07/31/12 4:28 PM
I really don't care much one way or the other how folks treat/abuse their food, but my kids are visiting cousins in Chicago area and sent this just a few minutes ago...

John Fox
Re:Ketchup on a hot dog, why not? - Tue, 07/31/12 6:12 PM
My son was in Chicago and saw a book titled "Never put ketchup on a hot dog." He bought it for me. I read about half of it. Great book about the history of the hot dog stands and people who owned and patronized them.

Tampico
  • Total Posts : 84
Re:Ketchup on a hot dog, why not? - Tue, 07/31/12 6:21 PM
pnwchef

lleechef

lleechef and this little gal will slap you all silly if they don't get their way. Michael, you better agree or it just may be a TV dinner tonight. lleechef, Mollie say's any time girls night out, shes game. Girls rule, Boys Drool.......................

You might want to think about an Exorcism to save her.

badart
  • Total Posts : 35
Re:Ketchup on a hot dog, why not? - Wed, 08/1/12 5:38 PM
John Fox

My son was in Chicago and saw a book titled "Never put ketchup on a hot dog." He bought it for me. I read about half of it. Great book about the history of the hot dog stands and people who owned and patronized them.

I bought that book for my father who is always giving one of his golfing buddies a hard time about putting ketchup on his dog. He read it then mailed it anonymously to his ketchup loving friend.

rebeltruce
  • Total Posts : 698
Re:Ketchup on a hot dog, why not? - Wed, 08/1/12 7:38 PM
If at a wienie roast and cooking my dog on the end of a stick over a fire.............I'm all about the ketchup! But any civiilized person knows ya never put ketchup on a hotdog!!!!!.......ROTFLMAO!!!.....

To each his or her own......!!!

Large Man
  • Total Posts : 75
Re:Ketchup on a hot dog, why not? - Wed, 08/1/12 8:42 PM
Prefer slaw on my dog but I'll eat one with the kitchen sink including ketchup.  I'll eat any kind of hot dog. 

WarToad
  • Total Posts : 1787
Re:Ketchup on a hot dog, why not? - Thu, 08/2/12 10:48 AM
When the zombie appocolypse comes, I'll go down with a gun in one hand and a well ketchuped hotdog in the other.

gostillerz
  • Total Posts : 218
Re:Ketchup on a hot dog, why not? - Thu, 08/2/12 6:10 PM
I'm tired of the food elitists. I'll put whatever I want on my food. I'll put ketchup on a dog once in a while at a cookout or something, but usually I do either mustard or horseradish. On a corn dog, it has to be ketchup. I tried it with mustard and hated it. I have to say, potato chips dipped in ketchup are really good though.

If putting ketchup on a hot dog takes away the flavor of a perfectly cooked sausage, then what does putting tomato, celery salt, sport peppers, onions, mustard and pickle, or chili and slaw do? (Chicago dogs are my favorite by the way)

Who in the hell would destroy ice cream by putting hot fudge on it. Oh my God! That's an abomination!

stricken_detective
  • Total Posts : 2330
Re:Ketchup on a hot dog, why not? - Thu, 08/2/12 8:24 PM
Yankeedoodle

stricken_detective

Name that movie.

Bad news bears remake.

I laughed out loud at that part & thought of the thread jorogo posted.

Mustard & onions, please.

bartl
  • Total Posts : 1208
Re:Ketchup on a hot dog, why not? - Fri, 08/3/12 10:29 PM
gostillerz
Who in the hell would destroy ice cream by putting hot fudge on it. Oh my God! That's an abomination!

What about ketchup?

Bart

Cosmos
  • Total Posts : 1448
Re:Ketchup on a hot dog, why not? - Tue, 08/7/12 9:43 PM
Whats wrong with putting gasoline on a fire?

ScreenBear
  • Total Posts : 1503
Re:Ketchup on a hot dog, why not? - Tue, 08/7/12 10:59 PM
If one wishes to be truly astute about this, the question is not whether one should put mustard or ketchup on their frankfurter, but rather, why is it that people are so seemingly passionate about which condiment belongs on said wiener?
  While anthropologists have found evidence of very early forms of both mustard and ketchup strewn along the ground at presumed scenes of battle between opposing forces in the cave days, they, alas, have no explanation for the apparent enmity. 
  There was a period, however, when humankind relented for a few centuries in its turmoil over ketchup vs. mustard, choosing instead to argue about the nature of the deity and how he/she should be worshiped. 
  Lately, people seem to confuse both arguments. I for one believe in freedom of condiment application. In fact, I think it's in our Constitution. 

The Bear

John Fox
Re:Ketchup on a hot dog, why not? - Wed, 08/8/12 6:47 AM
The late great Pulitzer Prize winning Chicago columnist Mike Royko said it better than anyone in a column on November 21, 1995 "No, I won't condemn anyone for putting ketchup on a hot dog. This is the land of the free. And if someone wants to put ketchup on a hot dog and actually eat the awful thing, that is their right. It is also their right to put mayo or chocolate syrup or toenail clippings or cat hair on a hot dog. Sure, it would be disgusting and perverted, and they would be shaming themselves and their loved ones. But under our system of government, it is their right to be barbarians."