In and Around Lubec, Maine

CinCin
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
In and Around Lubec, Maine - Mon, 07/30/12 1:55 PM
Most of the posts I've seen regarding recommendations in the area of Lubec, Maine are several years old.  I'll be heading there in September and I'm wondering if there are any updates I ought to know about.  Thanks!

Tony Bad
  • Total Posts : 5114
Re:In and Around Lubec, Maine - Mon, 07/30/12 9:27 PM
CinCin

Most of the posts I've seen regarding recommendations in the area of Lubec, Maine are several years old.  I'll be heading there in September and I'm wondering if there are any updates I ought to know about.  Thanks!

I'll be there in a couple of weeks and will let you know. Last summer I had some good meals at Family Fisheries over on Campobello and a pretty good lobster roll  at The Bold Coast Smokehouse in Lubec, but I heard the latter closed earlier this year.

I'll do my best to remember to report back.

syrupmi
  • Total Posts : 19
Re:In and Around Lubec, Maine - Sat, 08/4/12 3:08 PM
     I was in Callais a couple of weeks ago.  However the only two places I got to were the Wickachee Diner and the Restaraunt connected to the Callais Motor Inn.  Karen's Diner and Jo's Pizza looked interesting.  A lot of people seemd to like Helen's in Machias which is around 30 mile from Lubec.

The Website Chowhound ()  has a thread callled Northern New England.
It covers Vermont, Maine and New Hampshire.  I'm sure someone there has mentioned something around Lubec.

Tony Bad
  • Total Posts : 5114
Re:In and Around Lubec, Maine - Mon, 08/27/12 2:16 PM
Just got back. Had a good breakfast at Murphy's Village Restaurant (which seems to be changing name to village restaurant...maybe Murphy left??), which is only place open for breakfast in Lubec. Homemade breads were good and omlet was also tasty. My kids loved their HUGE pancakes...one had blueberry, the other raspberry. They were a bit understaffed on a busy Saturday, so service was a bit slow, but well worth the wait.

Ate late lunch at Cohills, right by town docks in Lubec. Nice people, good food. I had a salmon sald which was really good and also stole a bite of my son's burger, which was big and juicy and tasty.  http://www.cohillsinn.com/

Had dinner twice at Uncle Kippy's right on the main road. The place looks a bit dated but the food is great. Had a stuffed Haddock dish one night. The fish was thick, and flaky and cooked perfectly. One kid had fish and chips, made with same great fish, and that too was really great. Next night I had a lobster stew, which was more like a soup, but was amazing. Tons of big chunks of lobster in a cream base. Simply made but what a treat! http://unclekippys.com/

Went to Family Fisheries on Campobello but was a bit disappointed. We were there late, so maybe that was it, but the fish in the fish and chips wasn't even close to that we got from Uncle Kippy's and the "chips" were frozen food service specials. After really enjoying the place in past I was a bit disappointed.

Hope you have a great trip. Lots of seals and eagles and other birds to see! Please report back.