I got arrested!!

chewingthefat
  • Total Posts : 6093
  • Reward points : 0
I got arrested!! - Mon, 07/30/12 5:59 PM
A guy calls in reserving tables for 60 people for dinner on a bus tour, staying in Gettysburg, they we're from the West Coast. The guy insisted on giving me a credit card on the phone, I told him to give me the card when they had finished, he wanted me to write down the #, so I did. They came in, ate, stayed late, I wasn't here when they left, but the guy told the waitress to run the card # with an 18% tip. He left, got on the bus, it left, the card was bogus, $900.00 tab. My waitress called me, panicked, I told her to have a waiter, Alex follow the bus and keep the in phone contact. I left my house at about 1000 mph stayed in touch by cell, found the bus at the old Holiday Inn in Gettysburg, people still getting off the bus. I found the guy, asked him WTF he thought he was doing, he said don't worry, I'll take care of it tomorrow...that's when the fun began...I got, ah, angry!!!!!!!!!!!! He walked back to the lobby, me in tow, telling him what was going to happen to his azz if he didn't pay immediately, he said I couldn't talk to him that way because he was an ex Marine {we all knoe once a Marine, always a Marine} I got louder, the Police arrived, arrested me, cuffs and all, for verbal assault, wouldn't listen to ANY explination, I spent 2 1/2 in cuffs at the Gburg police station, got 3 tickets, all for the same thing, verbal assault, cost me $636.oo, no misdemeanor charges, it was like a speeding ticket.
Lesson learned? No! If your going to try to screw me out of $900.00, I'm on you, I don't care!!! I got my money from the guy, Alex stayed with it...Your thoughts?
<message edited by chewingthefat on Mon, 07/30/12 6:00 PM>

Glenn1234
  • Total Posts : 509
Re:I got arrested!! - Mon, 07/30/12 6:29 PM

Well, first off,  the customer guy is definitely a fraud.  He called himself an ex-Marine.  No such thing.  No marine wold call himself that. 

Secondly, I'd do the same thing you did.  Don't look back.  You done right. 

Glenn

pnwchef
  • Total Posts : 2230
Re:I got arrested!! - Mon, 07/30/12 9:02 PM
Tom, anyone who knows you knows you fight for whats right. I'm proud to be your friend......................Bill

mar52
  • Total Posts : 7596
Re:I got arrested!! - Mon, 07/30/12 9:55 PM
Even I would do the same as you did.  I'm irate reading what he did to you and what you went through.  I'd be livid!

Any type of business insurance that would cover your "costs"?

Did you get his ID?  He needs to go through coming back to Maryland at his own expense to answer to a small claims lawsuit.  I don't think any judge would be on his side.  The act occurred in Maryland so that's where the court case would take place.  Even if he won, it would just be your court costs and his trip cost to fight it.

I'm angry!  I've been through too many similar stories. 

edwmax
  • Total Posts : 2014
Re:I got arrested!! - Mon, 07/30/12 9:58 PM
One: educate your waitress to always see the card and run the bill from the card.
Two: You got your money, but ... call your state police, CIB (??) and report the card and the customer.  If the card was bogus, then he still committed a crime.   ......  It's very likely that person can be connected to other fraudulent charges with the same card.  ... now stick it to him ....
<message edited by edwmax on Mon, 07/30/12 10:08 PM>

CCinNJ
  • Total Posts : 7745
Re:I got arrested!! - Mon, 07/30/12 10:49 PM
If someone calls in with a reservation for 60 you can run a pre-authorization for verification and/or deposit or hold for a no-show.

When the party arrives request to see the credit card and photo id especially if you won't be there at the end of the meal.

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17815
Re:I got arrested!! - Tue, 07/31/12 2:47 AM
Good for you.

Foodbme
  • Total Posts : 9544
Re:I got arrested!! - Tue, 07/31/12 5:18 AM
20/20 Hindsight:
You should have called the police first and let them handle it.
Get in touch with the Tour company and turn him in.
There's an Association of Tour Bus Operators. Let them know about them.
http://www.buses.org/
He's probably stiffed some other people along the way. Report them to the state police and ask them to run a nationwide search.
Since they're doing interstate business, report them to the FBI
http://www.fbi.gov/scams-safety
Or the ICC
<message edited by Foodbme on Tue, 07/31/12 5:36 AM>

edwmax
  • Total Posts : 2014
Re:I got arrested!! - Tue, 07/31/12 6:35 AM
chewingthefat

....arrested me, cuffs and all, for verbal assault, wouldn't listen to ANY explination, I spent 2 1/2 in cuffs at the Gburg police station, got 3 tickets, all for the same thing, verbal assault, cost me $636.oo, no misdemeanor charges, it was like a speeding ticket.
...Your thoughts?

I think you just paid the standard fines for the citations.   Go to Court and explain to the judge.  ... He will listen and just might refund the fines back to you. $636 is a good payday and worth the effort to try.  ... I think if the police office wasn't listening to me (in your situation), I would get louder and agitated too.  Be sure to tell the judge what the Officer was not doing to help you.

Asked the Judge,   when a thief snatches a woman's purse on the street and she starts yelling at the thief, does the Officer arrest her too for making disturbance?   ... You are the business owner he just stole $900 from and you had chased him down.  Damn right you were loud and wanted everyone around him to know what he had done; and any other business taking his card to know what he had done while you were waiting for the police.
<message edited by edwmax on Tue, 07/31/12 7:07 AM>

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15060
Re:I got arrested!! - Tue, 07/31/12 7:05 AM
Chewie, Advice given while this old guy is not under the 'heat of the event' as you were... Crossing the state line to PA probably was a contributing factor to the results.  This is one that should have been handled by  1. the credit card company, and 2. Your local police from the start. Keeping a tail on the 'Perp' was good, but letting the wheels of Justice handle the details probably would have saved you the fines.
    Remind me not to use a bad card when I pay my check at your place. I cry when folks yell at me ! 

CCinNJ
  • Total Posts : 7745
Re:I got arrested!! - Tue, 07/31/12 9:41 AM
Are there two other parties that pressed charges of verbal assault other than the man mentioned?

FriedClamFanatic
  • Total Posts : 1496
Re:I got arrested!! - Tue, 07/31/12 10:25 AM
If you decide to plead your case before a judge, I'd suggest you take along some of your BBQ sandwiches as a bribe.

chewingthefat
Re:I got arrested!! - Tue, 07/31/12 11:41 AM
CCinNJ

Are there two other parties that pressed charges of verbal assault other than the man mentioned?

I have no idea, the cop-cops from Gburg were real aholes, they even threatened my with with lying to a police officer because she was so scared that when asked a question by them she couldn't even talk, they said that's the same as lying...I felt like I was in the Twilight zone!

joerogo
  • Total Posts : 4463
Re:I got arrested!! - Tue, 07/31/12 11:49 AM
Chewy, You're the best!  I will volunteer as a character witness at your trail.

mayor al
Re:I got arrested!! - Tue, 07/31/12 2:30 PM
What TRAIL, Joe,???  Did I miss a clue??? Did he 'flee the scene'?

Chewie, I got a ticket from the National Park Police once at the Gettysburg Battlefield for stuffing one of the field artillery pieces full of beer cans and denying that I did it, until a trickle of beer ran out of the muzzle of one and I could not stop myself from laughing.   This was in the early 70's and the $50 ticket was for littering. I paid by mail.

Tony Bad
  • Total Posts : 5114
Re:I got arrested!! - Tue, 07/31/12 3:34 PM
joerogo

When they say "character witness" I think they want people with good character Joe, not people who are characters.  

Treetop Tom
  • Total Posts : 321
Re:I got arrested!! - Tue, 07/31/12 3:34 PM
What a hassle!  But a word of caution: Even though you have settled up with the police for your "bad behavior", don’t be surprised if the object of your “verbal assault” decides he is going to file a civil suit for defamation.  I’d be very careful about what I put in writing about this incident (I agreed to take the guy’s credit card # over the phone, the cops were a-holes, the waitress refused to cooperate with the police questioning etc.), even on an internet message board.  If I were you I’d forget this post ever existed.
<message edited by Treetop Tom on Tue, 07/31/12 3:36 PM>

joerogo
  • Total Posts : 4463
Re:I got arrested!! - Tue, 07/31/12 4:07 PM
Tony Bad

joerogo

When they say "character witness" I think they want people with good character Joe, not people who are characters.  

Oh, Sorry Chewy, I'm out.

mayor al
Re:I got arrested!! - Tue, 07/31/12 6:48 PM
And, should you ever try to purchase a firearm and have to fill out the background check forms for the BATF check...don't be surprised to get  a "hold for further investigation" on the return. They use this sort of incident to deny purchase clearance quite frequently.

FriedClamFanatic
Re:I got arrested!! - Thu, 08/2/12 6:50 PM
OMG..............now here's a Roadside first... We should all go to Emmetsburg and have a good meal.  Then we can all say we do associate with a known felon! ( Do we still wait for "proof") and a conviction before deciding that?

FriedClamFanatic
Re:I got arrested!! - Thu, 08/2/12 6:55 PM
New Menu items appearing shortly:
1. Verbal Assault BBQ
2. Slaw with Slander
3. Keeping Creeps honest Ketchup
4. Juicy G-burg Jail Hawg Jowls with a side of Smart A Hot Sauce
5. Cuffed Chicken-Fried Steak

chewingthefat