Your Prescription Medications

Sirloin
2012/08/01 20:03:20
I picked up my prescription drops for my toes last week at CVS even though I still have a few squeezes left in my bottle.

The drops I'm using are actually ear drops but much cheaper than the same prescription designated for toes.  (Kudos to my doctor for that one)

Anyway, last night I picked up the refill prescription box and instead of ear drops, they were eye drops so I handed them to Sharon who has used and is using several different types of eye drops since her cataract surgery.  Only problem was this was not one of them.

I looked at the ingredients on them and the ingredients on my ear/toe drops and they shared the main ingredient.  All of the other ingredients were way different.  I guess any different is way different.

I looked at the bottle inside and they were clear drops.  My drops were milky.

So...  Went back to CVS today to let them know that I received the wrong drops  The woman I spoke with said,  "This is NOT acceptable!"  She went on and on about how it could have been pills that were wrong or it could have been the first time I was taking the drops and I wouldn't have known they were wrong.  She was irate and I know someone is going to get their ass in a ringer. 

I never thought about first time prescriptions and how dangerous a mistake like this could have been... I just wanted my drops.

What was amazing was when she handed me the right prescription she also handed me $10, what it cost.  I told her that she didn't have to do that, but she said...  "No, you took extra time out of your day and it cost you to drive here.  The $10 is yours".

Kudos, CVS...  for making something wrong, right.  I hope they don't fire the person who filled my prescription.  Although it's a severe accident, they do happen.  Please just learn from it.

The thing about this is that I can now tell all of you...   Before ever taking a prescription, new or refill...  Check it and make sure it's the correct medication.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Your Prescription Medications 2012/08/01 20:17:37
Personally, I really like CVS and I really appreciate the way you were handled but the lady should never have berated the others in front of others.  I would have been super had she gave you the money.  The probably avoid a lawsuit maybe.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN 
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Your Prescription Medications 2012/08/01 20:25:37
Paul, only I could hear her which was a good thing.  I was at the consultation window.
plb
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Your Prescription Medications 2012/08/01 21:48:57
The same thing happened to me at the local CVS a few years ago.
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:Your Prescription Medications 2012/08/01 23:36:12
I get mine at Walgreen's, but every single one comes with a description of the colour, shape and size of what I'm supposed to be taking. I'm one of those people who reads absolutely everything they give me before I put anything into my system, but that has potential for disaster if it's someone who doesn't! Good on CVS!
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Your Prescription Medications 2012/08/02 01:16:52
Wanna good shock?
Read this!!!!!
"Well over 100,000 Americans die every year from adverse reactions to prescription drugs and that drug side effects are a leading cause of death in the U.S. (See “The FDA’s Skewed Policies,” this issue, pp 104 - 105.)"
http://www.lightparty.com/Health/HealingRegeneration/html/AccidentalDeathPrescriptio.html
post edited by Foodbme - 2012/08/02 01:19:20
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Your Prescription Medications 2012/08/02 01:56:07
Very scary.  I never thought about it prior to this.

I always read the labels and description because my generics look different every time I receive them.  I want to make sure they're right before I take them.
stricken_detective
Re:Your Prescription Medications 2012/08/02 20:43:37
CVS = Peter Luger's

Express Scripts = McDonald's
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Your Prescription Medications 2012/08/03 04:05:04
More people are hospitalized from NSAID bleeding than ALL of American War Casualities! 
NSAID's include Ibuprofen, Aleve, Advil & Bayer Aspirin plus others.
The July 1998 issue of The American Journal of Medicine stated the following:
"Conservative calculations estimate that approximately 107,000 patients are hospitalized annually for nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID)-related gastrointestinal (GI) complications and at least 16,500 NSAID-related deaths occur each year among arthritis patients alone. The figures of all NSAID users would be overwhelming, yet the scope of this problem is generally under-appreciated."
You bleed to death folks!
http://www.healthsentinel.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2668:more-hospitalized-from-nsaid-bleeding-than-all-american-war-casualties&catid=5:original&Itemid=24
My Back Doc enlightened me last week!
He said, last year, approx. 200,000 people went to the hospital with Gastro Bleeding----10% of them died! 20,000 people! 

post edited by Foodbme - 2012/08/03 04:14:06
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
Re:Your Prescription Medications 2012/08/03 10:12:15
Your local stand-alone mom and pop pharmacy is always a much better bet than any of the chains. The owner is local, mabe your neigbor, and he cares about you and your family.

Cheers, John 
kland01s
Filet Mignon
Re:Your Prescription Medications 2012/08/03 10:18:07
seafarer john

Your local stand-alone mom and pop pharmacy is always a much better bet than any of the chains. The owner is local, mabe your neigbor, and he cares about you and your family.

Cheers, John 

And where do you find said dinosaur? The last 2 local ones I know of were bought out by the big boys and then they went to work for them.
harriet1954
Re:Your Prescription Medications 2012/08/03 10:40:26
I only take one med for acid reflux - the generic of Prilosec - and have been getting my refills from Walmart for a few years now. Have never had a problem yet. My daughter always uses Target for her prescriptions and prefers to use them. I used to use Rite Aid, which never seemed to have what I'd gone there for, and the CVS down the corner from me is just awful.
chefbuba
Re:Your Prescription Medications 2012/08/03 10:40:37
You have to watch what your docs are doing also, Had to call the docs office a while back for a refill on one of my diabetes meds, I take 2, 500mg tabs a day,  when I picked up the refill at the pharmacy the script said take 2, 3x's day.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Your Prescription Medications 2012/08/03 11:23:22
kland01s
seafarer john
Cheers, John 

And where do you find said dinosaur? The last 2 local ones I know of were bought out by the big boys and then they went to work for them.

The term "Mom & Pop" is one that will disapper from our vocabulary very soon.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Your Prescription Medications 2012/08/03 11:27:29
Most of us old farts have multiple Docs. One prescribes something; the next guy takes you off it and prescribes something else. It's musical pills! Watch out and keep your Meds List up to date!
SeamusD
Re:Your Prescription Medications 2012/08/03 13:40:01
Thank goodness my only prescription is for an inhaler, so they really can't screw that up.
kland01s
Filet Mignon
Re:Your Prescription Medications 2012/08/03 16:45:34
Foodbme

kland01s
seafarer john
Cheers, John 

The term "Mom & Pop" is one that will disapper from our vocabulary very soon.

I know one of the last M&P's here and the kids had no interest in the business.  That's what kills them.
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:Your Prescription Medications 2012/08/03 18:13:47
We used to have an independent pharmacy just down the road from me in my little town. But the pharmacist who owned it didn't have children, and no one else was interested in going to school for that long to take it over from him. So it closed when he retired a few years ago, and now there's a liquor store in that space. I don't believe there is another one, even in Grand Rapids, any more. I do, however, have my choice of Walgreen's, Rite Aid, CVS, Meijer, Target, Walmart, and several run by Spectrum Health. I automatically went with Walgreen's because they used to be the only one open 24 hours, and I almost never need a prescription during business hours.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Your Prescription Medications 2012/08/03 18:30:52
felix4067
We used to have an independent pharmacy just down the road from me in my little town. But the pharmacist who owned it didn't have children, and no one else was interested in going to school for that long to take it over from him. So it closed when he retired a few years ago, and now there's a liquor store in that space. I don't believe there is another one, even in Grand Rapids, any more. I do, however, have my choice of Walgreen's, Rite Aid, CVS, Meijer, Target, Walmart, and several run by Spectrum Health. I automatically went with Walgreen's because they used to be the only one open 24 hours, and I almost never need a prescription during business hours.

In the old days, Whiskey was used for all kinds of "Medicinal" purposes including as an antiseptic, anesthetic, snake bites and Dandruff. Thank goodness you got a liquor store in it's place!!!
mr chips
Filet Mignon
Re:Your Prescription Medications 2012/08/03 21:55:25
None of the stats surprise. i deal with pharmacies on a regular basis and I am surprised there are not more problems.