The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Fried Bologna And Roadfood.com

Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 2 of 4, messages 31 to 60 of 91
kevincad

• Total Posts: 399
Re:Fried Bologna And Roadfood.com Sat, 08/11/12 12:53 PM (permalink)
pogophiles

Just buy the chub and smoke it...

It's hard to keep lit....!!!

kevincad

• Total Posts: 399
    Re:Fried Bologna And Roadfood.com Sat, 08/11/12 12:57 PM (permalink)
    ayersian

kevincad

In the upstate part of South Carolina, the mountainous part, it is prime fried bologna territory. They slice it thick, fry it nice and charred on the outside, real bologna, not that store bought chicken lips stuff. Nice and garlicky. It's a thing of beauty. I take a scenic route and there is a real roadfood place along the way. I always stop and get a fried bologna sandwich!

Kevin, would you mind telling us where this place is? I'd certainly like to try that bologna sandwich!  Is it near Clemson?    Chris

It's a ways from Clemson, it's further up on State Road 11 (Cherokee Scenic Highway) quite close to Table Rock State Park. If you are going northeast, it will be on your left, a REAL rustic place!

scrumptiouschef

• Total Posts: 641
      Re:Fried Bologna And Roadfood.com Sat, 08/11/12 1:23 PM (permalink)
      yep, 2" is just about right, keeps you powered up for a long afternoon raking hay in Knox County Kentucky.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9574
        Re:Fried Bologna And Roadfood.com Sat, 08/11/12 6:44 PM (permalink)
        scrumptiouschef

In Eastern Kentucky you'd get jumped if you called baloney balogna!
        Fried Baloney Sandwich Recipe:
        Ingredients:
        * 2 Slices Baloney, Thick cut, each slice lightly scored at the noon, 3pm, 6pm and 9 pm positions [ prevents cupping of the meat ]
        * 2 Slices Bread, White
        * Onion, Sweet, Thinly sliced
        * Mayonnaise, enough for spreading
        Method:
        * Heat cast iron pan til good and hot
        * Place baloney in un-oiled pan
        * Cook til nicely browned
        * Spread a skift of mayonnaise on each slice of white bread
        * Add thinly sliced sweet onion, some folks like it on the top, some like it on the bottom. Me I'm a top but if you're a bottom that's alright too.
        * Add fried baloney
        * Compact everything into the classic sandwich format
        backstory on growing up eating baloney in Appalachia
        http://www.scrumptiousche...Fried-Baloney-Sandwich

Oh Darn!
        I KNEW I was doing something wrong.
        I was scoring mine at 10 - 2 - 4 & 8!

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7761
          Re:Fried Bologna And Roadfood.com Sat, 08/11/12 11:37 PM (permalink)
          Since bologna & boloney are pronounced the same I think we'd be safe calling it bologna.

Foodbme

Re:Fried Bologna And Roadfood.com Sun, 08/12/12 1:34 AM (permalink)
            CCinNJ

Since bologna & boloney are pronounced the same I think we'd be safe calling it bologna.

Au Contraire, Garlic Baloney Breath!
            Bologna is pronounced - Ba - Lone - AAAA
            Baloney is pronounced - Ba Lone - EEEEEEE

CCinNJ

Re:Fried Bologna And Roadfood.com Sun, 08/12/12 1:41 AM (permalink)
              Bologna & boloney are pronounced the same in NJ. Unless it's about Bologna Italy. But these people all eat PORK ROLL...without mayonnaise or white bread. I don't think they would be jumped for Miracle Whip. It's not a hot dog.

Your boloney may have a first name but it's also spelled bologna.
              <message edited by CCinNJ on Sun, 08/12/12 1:43 AM>

3 Olives

• Total Posts: 101
                Re:Fried Bologna And Roadfood.com Mon, 08/13/12 4:24 PM (permalink)
                They sell quite a few bologna sandwiches at the Texaco a few miles from where I live. You can have any toppings you want on a bun or  biscuit (the biscuit is bigger than a bun).  However, I prefer the liver mush, egg, cheese, and tomato biscuits.
                It's a Texaco, but more like a grill with gas pumps.

Foodbme

Re:Fried Bologna And Roadfood.com Mon, 08/13/12 4:48 PM (permalink)
                  3 Olives

They sell quite a few bologna sandwiches at the Texaco a few miles from where I live. You can have any toppings you want on a bun or  biscuit (the biscuit is bigger than a bun).  However, I prefer the liver mush, egg, cheese, and tomato biscuits.

From The Christian Science Monitor:
                  "Thought to be a descendant of scrapple, livermush was most likely brought south through the Appalachian mountains by German settlers."
                  They most likely brought their Bologna Recipes with them as well!

Foodbme

Re:Fried Bologna And Roadfood.com Mon, 08/13/12 4:54 PM (permalink)
                    CCinNJ

Bologna & boloney are pronounced the same in NJ. Unless it's about Bologna Italy. But these people all eat PORK ROLL...without mayonnaise or white bread. I don't think they would be jumped for Miracle Whip. It's not a hot dog.
                    Your boloney may have a first name but it's also spelled bologna.

From www.grammarist.com 
                    Bologna is a meat. The word is short for bologna sausage, a type of sausage made of finely ground meat that has been cooked and smoked.
                    Baloney is nonsense. It is an early 20th-century American coinage derived from bologna. It may also be influenced by blarney, which in one of its definitions means nonsense or deceptive talk.
                    Dictionaries differ on whether baloney and bologna are homophones in English. Some say both should be pronounced “baloney,” while others say bologna should be pronounced like the Italian city, Bologna (“boloan-ya”), where the sausage originates. All authorities agree that the two spellings have different meanings.

3 Olives

Re:Fried Bologna And Roadfood.com Mon, 08/13/12 5:05 PM (permalink)
                      Foodbme

3 Olives

"Thought to be a descendant of scrapple, livermush was most likely brought south through the Appalachian mountains by German settlers."

My Dad was Pennsylvania Dutch - loved scrapple, souse, head cheese, sausage, etc. - me, too.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17845
                        Re:Fried Bologna And Roadfood.com Mon, 08/13/12 5:21 PM (permalink)
                        Mortadella!

Foodbme

Re:Fried Bologna And Roadfood.com Mon, 08/13/12 5:32 PM (permalink)
                          3 Olives

Foodbme

3 Olives

My Dad was Pennsylvania Dutch - loved scrapple, souse, head cheese, sausage, etc. - me, too.

Guess What??
                          By default, that makes you PA Dutch too!
                          Earlier, you mentioned your Grandparents were from the Williamsport area. My predecessors come from the Williamsport-Renovo area as well. They migrated there by poling rafts up the Susquehanna River!!
                          So, let's drink a beer to our Ancestry!!!

Foodbme

Re:Fried Bologna And Roadfood.com Mon, 08/13/12 5:42 PM (permalink)
                            Michael Hoffman

Mortadella!

Mortadella to you too!!!
                            You are correct sir!
                            "In Germany, "regular" bologna is referred to as Mortadella, and is mostly identical and made out of the same meats as its American counterpart, although it often contains pistachios. The original, larger and less finely ground Mortadella is called italienische Mortadella."
                            Mortadella's roots can be traced back to Bologna, Italy! So there we have the complete cycle and that ain't no Baloney!

3 Olives

Re:Fried Bologna And Roadfood.com Mon, 08/13/12 5:56 PM (permalink)
                              Foodbme

3 Olives

Foodbme

3 Olives

Guess What??
                              By default, that makes you PA Dutch too!
                              Earlier, you mentioned your Grandparents were from the Williamsport area. My predecessors come from the Williamsport-Renovo area as well. They migrated there by poling rafts up the Susquehanna River!!
                              So, let's drink a beer to our Ancestry!!!

I'll drink one with you. I love PA Dutch food!

Tampico

• Total Posts: 84
                                Re:Fried Bologna And Roadfood.com Mon, 08/13/12 6:28 PM (permalink)
                                What is it that makes fried bologna so interesting? Slice 1/4 inch, fry in skillet with butter or lard, put on cheap white bread, cheap processed american cheese slice, top with onion slice and tomato. If you want to kick it up put it on a cheap white hamburger bun. Is there something I am missing? I like a fried bologna sandwich as much as anyone but making it a destination or something special? I have to drive by G&R about 10 times a year so I stop there maybe twice out of the 10. I cannot think of a more basic item that can be reproduced by anyone with a skillet. Its not like they do anything different than anyone else.  Some people even put Miracle Whip the worst product on the planet or God forbid Ketchup. Maybe someone could start a thread: What do you put on your Fried Bologna Sandwich? No that would be an interesting thread.

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
                                  Re:Fried Bologna And Roadfood.com Mon, 08/13/12 6:52 PM (permalink)
                                  :)  yes indeed,Mr Hoffman---MORTADELLA!!!!!!!

<message edited by tiki on Mon, 08/13/12 6:53 PM>

Foodbme

Re:Fried Bologna And Roadfood.com Mon, 08/13/12 7:27 PM (permalink)
                                    Tampico

What is it that makes fried bologna so interesting? Slice 1/4 inch, fry in skillet with butter or lard, put on cheap white bread, cheap processed american cheese slice, top with onion slice and tomato. If you want to kick it up put it on a cheap white hamburger bun. Is there something I am missing? I like a fried bologna sandwich as much as anyone but making it a destination or something special? I have to drive by G&R about 10 times a year so I stop there maybe twice out of the 10. I cannot think of a more basic item that can be reproduced by anyone with a skillet. Its not like they do anything different than anyone else.  Some people even put Miracle Whip the worst product on the planet or God forbid Ketchup. Maybe someone could start a thread: What do you put on your Fried Bologna Sandwich? No that would be an interesting thread.

Comparing G&R Bologna with regular Boloney is like comparing a Filet with 80/20 hamburger!
                                    To paraphrase Jim Carvelle, Bill Clinton's Campaign Guru, "It's the Baloney, Stupid"!!
                                    I'm not calling you stupid, just paraphrasing, if ya know what I mean.

Tampico

Re:Fried Bologna And Roadfood.com Mon, 08/13/12 8:11 PM (permalink)
                                      Foodbme

Tampico

Comparing G&R Bologna with regular Boloney is like comparing a Filet with 80/20 hamburger!
                                      To paraphrase Jim Carvelle, Bill Clinton's Campaign Guru, "It's the Baloney, Stupid"!!

Stopping in to experience G&R's Bologna aids the mystery meat taster in expectation of the bologna flavors. The bouquet or aroma - is the major determinate of perceived flavor in the mouth. Once inside the mouth, the smells are further liberated by exposure to mouth heat, and transferred retronasally to the olfactory receptor site. It is here that the complex taste experience characteristic of a bologna actually commences. Coupled with a proper smoky note, outer char or crust the once thought simple meat is turned into something more sublime than just a basic table meat originally meant for the poor and under-privileged. G&R Tavern is the epi-center for what all other Bologna strives to be. 

Foodbme

Re:Fried Bologna And Roadfood.com Mon, 08/13/12 9:28 PM (permalink)
                                        Tampico

Foodbme

Tampico

Stopping in to experience G&R's Bologna aids the mystery meat taster in expectation of the bologna flavors. The bouquet or aroma - is the major determinate of perceived flavor in the mouth. Once inside the mouth, the smells are further liberated by exposure to mouth heat, and transferred retronasally to the olfactory receptor site. It is here that the complex taste experience characteristic of a bologna actually commences. Coupled with a proper smoky note, outer char or crust the once thought simple meat is turned into something more sublime than just a basic table meat originally meant for the poor and under-privileged. G&R Tavern is the epi-center for what all other Bologna strives to be. 

WOW!!!
                                        Did you or Hemingway write that?????

Michael Hoffman

Re:Fried Bologna And Roadfood.com Tue, 08/14/12 4:11 AM (permalink)
                                          Neither. It was lifted from a treatise on wine tasting. Google it.

Tampico

Re:Fried Bologna And Roadfood.com Tue, 08/14/12 7:12 AM (permalink)
                                            Michael Hoffman

It was a joke. You obviously did not get it.

Foodbme

Re:Fried Bologna And Roadfood.com Tue, 08/14/12 4:57 PM (permalink)
                                              Tampico

Michael Hoffman

I got it!
                                              I laughed!
                                              I was just wondering if I should give you an "A" for your wittiness.
                                              Since you plagiarized it, I'll have to give you a "C".
                                              Normally it would be a "F" but since you went to the trouble to find it, I gave you partial credit!

3 Olives

Re:Fried Bologna And Roadfood.com Tue, 08/14/12 6:27 PM (permalink)
                                                Seems to be a lot of tension over fried bologna.

photog

Re:Fried Bologna And Roadfood.com Wed, 08/15/12 12:36 AM (permalink)
                                                  Anyone seen pickled pimiento loaf recently? I can't find any.

CCinNJ

Re:Fried Bologna And Roadfood.com Wed, 08/15/12 12:40 AM (permalink)
                                                    Iron Chef MIchael Symon has both schools of fried bologna on the menu at B Spot...

Old School fried bologna with pickles, mustard, american cheese 6.00

New School fried bologna with Russian dressing, pickled onions, sweet hot pickles, sunny-side-up egg 6.00

http://www.bspotburgers.com/menu/

My girlfriend looks like Iron Chef Cat Cora...and never heard of fried bologna.

Don't they have that in Texas? She ran away for 17 years and lived in Texas before coming back to the land of Pork Roll...and honey.

Michael Hoffman

Re:Fried Bologna And Roadfood.com Wed, 08/15/12 4:46 AM (permalink)
                                                      photog

Anyone seen pickled pimiento loaf recently? I can't find any.

If you mean pickle and pimiento loaf then sure. It's available in all the supermarkets around here.

Tampico

• Location: Tecumseh, MI
                                                        Re:Fried Bologna And Roadfood.com Wed, 08/15/12 7:04 AM (permalink)
                                                        Foodbme

Tampico

Michael Hoffman

I got it!
                                                        I laughed!
                                                        Normally it would be a "F" but since you went to the trouble to find it, I gave you partial credit!

I am not sure you can plagiarize wikopedia. I got some of it from wiki sommelier. It was so funny I couldn't resist.

Foodbme

• Location: Gilbert, AZ
                                                          Re:Fried Bologna And Roadfood.com Wed, 08/15/12 2:56 PM (permalink)
                                                          Tampico

Foodbme

Tampico

Michael Hoffman

I got it!
                                                          I laughed!

I am not sure you can plagiarize wikopedia. I got some of it from wiki sommelier. It was so funny I couldn't resist.

There's such a thing as Wiki Wine?????

claracamille

• Total Posts: 414
                                                            • Location: Idpls, IN
                                                            Re:Fried Bologna And Roadfood.com Sat, 08/25/12 3:44 PM (permalink)
                                                            It just so happens that I have 4 THICK slices of bologna that I am going to use to make WV hot bologna sandwiches for supper tonight:
                                                            I cut 3 small slits on the bologna, add to a skillet, brown quickly on bpth sides,turn down the heat & cook through.  Remove from pan & make a hot/sweet BBQ sauce in the same skillet: catsup, brown sugar, lemon juice, lots of cayanne & sriracha sauce,bring to boil, reduce, then lower heat,add fried bologna & cook un til covered & glazed.  I serve on a big toasted bun with onion,lettuce & fresh tomato, pickle on the side.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 2 of 4, messages 31 to 60 of 91

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com