The Olympics Draws Attention to British Food/Recipes

Foodbme
  • Total Posts : 9526
  • Reward points : 0
The Olympics Draws Attention to British Food/Recipes - Mon, 08/6/12 5:09 PM
The Olympics has drawn attention to British food and recipes. Since Britain and America are separated by a common language, we Yanks seldom become acquainted with British Fare. Who knew about Bacon Butty, Onion Bahji, Chelsea Buns and Bacon Wrapped Toads in a Leek -Filled Hole???
Who knew that House of Parliament Sauce (HP Sauce) was a favorite Condiment?
Serious Eats has put together a list of British favorites.
How many of these have you eaten?
How many of them would you try to make?
What's your favorite?
 http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/07/classic-british-foods-recipes.html?utm_source=Serious+Eats+Newsletters&utm_campaign=15595ffc69-Chick_Fil_A_at_Home_Bacon_Butty_8_6_2012&utm_medium=email

mar52
  • Total Posts : 7590
Re:The Olympics Draws Attention to British Food/Recipes - Mon, 08/6/12 5:41 PM
I guess there is a lot of Eastern Indian influence in the British cooking.

chewingthefat
  • Total Posts : 6093
Re:The Olympics Draws Attention to British Food/Recipes - Mon, 08/6/12 5:52 PM
Marmite!

lleechef
  • Total Posts : 6204
Re:The Olympics Draws Attention to British Food/Recipes - Mon, 08/6/12 6:44 PM
I really do like steak and kidney pie.

Foodbme
Re:The Olympics Draws Attention to British Food/Recipes - Mon, 08/6/12 6:54 PM
Researching further, I found this:
"The original recipe for HP Sauce was invented and developed by Harry Palmer, from whom the initials "H. P." derive. It was first known as "Harry Palmer's Famous Epsom Sauce". Palmer, an avid gambler at the Epsom races, was forced to sell the recipe (to cover his debts) to F.G. Garton, a grocer from Nottingham. F.G. Garton's Sauce Manufacturing began to market HP Sauce in 1903. Garton called the sauce HP partly due to its local reputation, but also because he had heard that a restaurant in the Houses of Parliament had begun serving it (indeed, bottle labels today carry a picture of the Palace of Westminster). Garton sold the recipe and HP brand for the sum of £150 and the settlement of some unpaid bills to Edwin Samson Moore."

Foodbme
Re:The Olympics Draws Attention to British Food/Recipes - Mon, 08/6/12 7:00 PM
chewingthefat

Marmite!

A Sticky, Salty, Yeasty Sludge!

mar52
  • Total Posts : 7590
Re:The Olympics Draws Attention to British Food/Recipes - Mon, 08/6/12 10:11 PM
Marmite Not.

FriedClamFanatic
  • Total Posts : 1491
Re:The Olympics Draws Attention to British Food/Recipes - Tue, 08/7/12 11:47 PM
Having lived in the UK for 5 years, I have experienced the best and worst of British Cuisine.  Adding to that my dislike of eggs and low fondness for fish, there are several of the recipes I have shied away from.

BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A Bacon Butty is a Gift to Mankind from the GAWDS!  With or without "Brown Sauce"  My American version uses butter and PB. Nowhere near authentic, but damn good

British Sausage..an acquired taste........I have some in my freezer, but I';d much prefer a Cumberland Sausage

HP.a classic.......also Braxton's Fruity Sauce. I have both.

The Indian influence is obviously from the Raj......andf the fact that most meat back them was pretty horrendous without being doused in "something"( think origins of US BBQ)..today the meat is better, but still is helped along by HP or other equivalents

Went to one local party where the hors d-ouveres were crackers with butter and peanutbutter on them...........try it..you'll like it!..especially if you add a bit of gourmet sea salt for accent. Then I started buying the Jules De Stroop Wafer Cookies here in the US and putting it on them.....the combo of sweet and salty is wonderful....although not for appetizers..more a late night snack.

Savoury pies.....pasties...hot pots....all can be good or awful,  I will tell you I never enjoyed lamb much before the UK.....lamb here in the US always seemed fatty and slightly "off-taste".  In the  UK, it was much much leaner and could be divine!

Once upon a time, Brits were known for cooking stuff to death.  That has changed in most places

Oh.and since Foodbyme mentions the "common language" but does appropriately refer to "Brits vs English", there are some folks there that speak a different language and you wanna get a quick insult, and most likely lousy food and service, never use the word "English" in Scotland or Wales...........and to a certain extent, the Isles of Man or the Jersey Islands either

Foodbme
Re:The Olympics Draws Attention to British Food/Recipes - Wed, 08/8/12 2:06 AM
FriedClamFanatic,
I recently saw a show on English History that covered the Channel Islands.
I assume that's the Jersey Islands???? Sounds like a great place to visit.
It was very interesting as is all English, Irish, Scottish and Welsh History. 
http://www.pbs.org/programs/michael-woods-story-england/
I also assume the Jersey & Guernsey cows originated here?
<message edited by Foodbme on Wed, 08/8/12 2:24 AM>

FriedClamFanatic
  • Total Posts : 1491
Re:The Olympics Draws Attention to British Food/Recipes - Thu, 08/9/12 6:54 AM
Yes, the Jersey Islands and the Channel Islands are the same..sort of...Jersey is the largest island in the group.  We are planning to visit there in the Spring.  Will be our first trip there. Thanks!

Foodbme
Re:The Olympics Draws Attention to British Food/Recipes - Thu, 08/9/12 4:47 PM
I found HP Sauce, Marmite, Spotted Dick, Bangers and other British foods at Fresh & Easy Neighborhood Markets. F & E is a subsidary of Tesco, the world's 3rd largest Retailer that's based in the UK. Fresh & Easy's 185 stores are located in CA, AZ and NV and expanding Eastward.
So if you live in or visit those states, check them out.
They're kind of the English version of Trader Joe's with a lot of fresh "To Go" foods.
http://www.freshandeasy.com/

hatteras04
  • Total Posts : 1070
Re:The Olympics Draws Attention to British Food/Recipes - Fri, 08/10/12 10:22 AM
My wife and I spent 10 days in Cambridge/London in June and had several really good meals (and a couple of bad ones).  The biggest highlight was the sunday roast and yorkshire pudding that we had at The Pembroke in Earls Court.  I had beef and my wife had the chicken with bread sauce.  Both were outstanding.  The other thing I really enjoyed was having Welsh Rarebit in a pub across from the Tate Modern for lunch.  A pub lunch with a pint is a wonderful thing.

brisketboy
  • Total Posts : 1055
Re:The Olympics Draws Attention to British Food/Recipes - Fri, 08/10/12 11:09 AM
My company has sent me to Cornwall Plymouth specifically and I really got to like Cornish Pastys. That's something I would like to see duplicated here in the states.

Foodbme
Re:The Olympics Draws Attention to British Food/Recipes - Fri, 08/10/12 11:25 AM
brisketboy

My company has sent me to Cornwall Plymouth specifically and I really got to like Cornish Pastys. That's something I would like to see duplicated here in the states.

Theye are many places to get Cornish Pasty's in the U.S. Here's one.
http://www.cornishpastyco.com/

brisketboy
Re:The Olympics Draws Attention to British Food/Recipes - Fri, 08/10/12 11:46 AM
Thanks for the info. My sister lives in Mesa and this is great because I visit her a lot. The pictures on the website look really great. What's even funnier is that the first item on the menu is the name of a pasty shop on the high street in Plymouth.

tcrouzer
  • Total Posts : 430
Re:The Olympics Draws Attention to British Food/Recipes - Fri, 08/10/12 12:54 PM
From that article, I've made (plain) Toad in a Hole, Roast Beef and Yorkshire Pudding, Bacon Butty, Chelsea Buns, Kedgeree, and Scotch Eggs. I have also made the following:
Bangers and Mash
Welsh Rarebit
Cornish Pasties
Cock-a-Leekie Soup (Scotland)
Glamorgan Sausages (Welsh)
Welsh Cakes
Lancashire Hotpot
Cauliflower Cheese
Barmbrack
Chutney and Cheese Sandwiches
bunches of scones and many more recipes from Great Britain..... but NO marmite!

Foodbme
Re:The Olympics Draws Attention to British Food/Recipes - Fri, 08/10/12 1:31 PM
brisketboy

Thanks for the info. My sister lives in Mesa and this is great because I visit her a lot. The pictures on the website look really great. What's even funnier is that the first item on the menu is the name of a pasty shop on the high street in Plymouth.

There are 17 English/Irish Pubs listed in the Valley on Urbanspoon.
http://www.urbanspoon.com/f/22/2121/Phoenix/English-Irish-Restaurants
Besides Cornish Pasty, one of my favorites is The Harp Pub & Restaurant, also in Mesa. In Dana Park - Corner of Val Vista & Rt 60. Less than a mile from my cottage! I can stagger home!
They also have Pasty's.
http://www.theharpaz.com/
<message edited by Foodbme on Sun, 08/12/12 4:58 AM>

brisketboy
Re:The Olympics Draws Attention to British Food/Recipes - Fri, 08/10/12 2:53 PM
There is also the Prince of Wales in St. Augustine which is in fact run by an English couple. Don't know if it's there as the place was up for sale during my last visit (2010). Served a great Ploughman's.

Foodbme
Re:The Olympics Draws Attention to British Food/Recipes - Sun, 08/12/12 4:57 AM
Had my first taste of HP Sauce today!
I grilled some hamburgers and put it on them after cookintg 
My first Reaction???? Tastes like A-1 Steak Sauce!!
If I had taken a blind taste test not knowing what I was tasting, I'd have probably said, "A-1 Steak Sauce."