TV Shows that should be made available in repeats

Double Chili Cheeseburger
2012/08/06 19:20:44
Sometimes, a canceled TV show gets revived. And sometimes, it gets remade (usually badly). But some TV shows are not going to be duplicated, but, often because they were canceled too soon, are not found in reruns, either.

Maybe it was a show you really loved. Maybe it was from the days before VCR's became common, and it on a night you were never home. Perhaps it was a show that you only realized it existed in the last few episodes. Or maybe it was an early effort from a later favorite performer.

In any case, what are some TV shows that are currently not available that you would want to see made available in repeats? Here are a few of mine:

THE ROGUES: Criminals stealing from other criminals in the cause of good, with movie stars like David Niven, Charles Boyer, and Gig Young (and a very young Larry Hagman filling in when the stars were busy making movies). Canceled because it was too expensive to make, I was a bit too young at the time to really appreciate it.

TRIALS OF O'BRIEN: Peter Falk's first Colombo-type character, killed by being opposite the wildly popular MAN FROM UNCLE. Some, including Peter Falk, thought it was better than COLOMBO.

HANK: Comedy about a college drop-"in"; a brilliant student whose parents died before scholarships were based on financial need, and had to support himself and his younger sister, while continuing to come up with schemes to attend classes at the college where he runs the local (get ready for this, Roadfooders!) food cart.

Fire away!
Bart
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:TV Shows that should be made available in repeats 2012/08/06 19:24:43
Huh...I don't have any I haven't been able to find either on DVD or Netflix. I do sorely miss Warner Brothers Saturday morning cartoons, though.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:TV Shows that should be made available in repeats 2012/08/06 21:21:25
"The Adventures of Terry and the Pirates"
 Rowan and Martin's Laugh-IN
 My Favorite Martian
"China Smith" (Dan Duryea)
I would like to see some of the old cartoons too...The ones that used the Warner Bro. characters, Bugs, Porky, Daffy, Elmer etc, fighting WWII against the Sterotype Axis Bad-guys.
mar52
Sirloin
Re:TV Shows that should be made available in repeats 2012/08/06 22:15:37
Bart, I thought I was the only one who watched Hank.  I heard the star of that show was murdered... Dick Kallman,

Coronet Blue

McMillan and Wife

I also liked the other school shows...  Room 222 and Mr. Novak.

mar52
Sirloin
Re:TV Shows that should be made available in repeats 2012/08/07 00:40:52
I forgot another....

That Was The Year That Was.
ScreamingChicken
Filet Mignon
Re:TV Shows that should be made available in repeats 2012/08/07 09:03:31
mar52

Bart, I thought I was the only one who watched Hank.  I heard the star of that show was murdered... Dick Kallman,

IMDB knows all, Mar...
BelleReve
Re:TV Shows that should be made available in repeats 2012/08/07 15:05:52
A couple of TV shows, and would like to see some of the older TBS and PBS mini series, brought back again but not in a "marathon" stye of six hours at a stretch, but once a week until they run their course.  I know there are more but these are some that come to mind: 

Northern Exposure - I never saw it from the beginning, just some of the last shows

Frank's Place -  I believe this is in the works, but they have to rework the music that's in the background of each show. 

Shogun
Centennial
A Town Like Alice

mr chips
Filet Mignon
Re:TV Shows that should be made available in repeats 2012/08/07 15:11:04
The Rogues is on meTV early Sunday morning.

kland01s
Filet Mignon
Re:TV Shows that should be made available in repeats 2012/08/07 15:30:42
BelleReve

Northern Exposure - I never saw it from the beginning, just some of the last shows

Amazon has the whole series in a boxed set. A few years back I was working part time and got home about 2 pm every day. TBS (I think) was playing Northern Exposure every afternoon at 3 from the 1st episode to the end. One of the best series ever next to China Beach.
mbrookes
Re:TV Shows that should be made available in repeats 2012/08/07 17:27:09
From the Seventies.... Fernwood Tonight. I have tried to find tapes or discs, but to no avail.
BelleReve
Re:TV Shows that should be made available in repeats 2012/08/07 18:10:44
kland01s - thanks for the info. 

Just recently one of the channels showed a couple of MTM shows, which I just happened on, but never saw them listed in the guide again, but would love to see more.

mar52
Sirloin
Re:TV Shows that should be made available in repeats 2012/08/07 18:11:59
Thanks for the reminder, MBrookes...

Mary Hartman, Mary Harman...    which is my all time favorite.
mar52
Sirloin
Re:TV Shows that should be made available in repeats 2012/08/07 18:13:57
Brad, thatnks for that link.  How tragic.  I really liked him.

Twenty-five years have passed.  I hope the murderer is still in jail or a victim, himself.
FriedClamFanatic
Re:TV Shows that should be made available in repeats 2012/08/08 00:32:38
The Rogues was a classic

I also liked the New Orleans based comedy that starred the guy who played Venus Flytrap on WKRP
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
Re:TV Shows that should be made available in repeats 2012/08/08 06:10:46
The Fugitive

ScreamingChicken
Filet Mignon
Re:TV Shows that should be made available in repeats 2012/08/08 09:06:41
"The Fugitive" is another MeTV offering and around here it's on at 11pm (Central) on Sunday nights.
post edited by ScreamingChicken - 2012/08/08 09:08:11
BelleReve
Re:TV Shows that should be made available in repeats 2012/08/08 13:03:07
FCF - the show was called Frank's Place with the main star Tim Reid from WKRP.   It played in the late 80's and only 22 episodes were made.  It was a great show, a lot because of the background music setting the tone, but purchasing the music rights make it too prohibitive from bringing it back in reruns, but there's supposedly plans to rework the music.  
ken8038
Re:TV Shows that should be made available in repeats 2012/08/08 14:41:59
I'd like to see the 1970's series The paper Chase rerun again. It's not been on for probably 20 years, and only the first 2 seasons have been released on video.

Also, there was a late night music TV show in the late 80's. I think it was on NBC for an hour each week. NOT Friday Night Videos, but instead featured low-key live performances by people who usually didn't turn up on TV.

Dam if I can remember the name of it, but I haven't seen it since. For some reason I remember Harry Connick Jr. being a sort of a regular on it, before he was famous.
bartl
Re:TV Shows that should be made available in repeats 2012/08/08 21:44:24
mayor al
 My Favorite Martian

Well, My Favorite Martian is available on Hulu Plus (www.hulu.com). It's $8 a month (I get it so that I can watch TV shows on my cell phone), but you can get a free trial.

Bart
bartl
Re:TV Shows that should be made available in repeats 2012/08/08 22:07:44
ScreamingChicken "The Fugitive" is another MeTV offering and around here it's on at 11pm (Central) on Sunday nights.

Unfortunately for me, MeTV is not available where I live.

Bart
Extreme Glow
Double Cheeseburger
Re:TV Shows that should be made available in repeats 2012/08/09 06:30:36
FriedClamFanatic

The Rogues was a classic

I also liked the New Orleans based comedy that starred the guy who played Venus Flytrap on WKRP

Frank's Place, still remembered fondly in NOLA.
http://www.nola.com/treme...to_franks_place_c.html
Cream Corn
Junior Burger
Re:TV Shows that should be made available in repeats 2012/08/09 07:39:41
Brisco County Jr
Vince Macek
Double Cheeseburger
Re:TV Shows that should be made available in repeats 2012/08/09 08:35:24
Regarding the old 'Looney Tunes', you can find a lot of them on YouTube, including plenty that I guarantee will never show up on broadcast tv anymore.

A couple of shows from the '90s with very short runs I liked were 'Maximum Bob' with Beau Bridges as a small-town Florida judge, and 'Buddy Faro' with Dennis Farina as a cool 'Rat Pack' era PI back at work in modern times. Both quirky, but in a good way.

I didn't know 'Frank's Place' was being held up due to music rights issues - between that and 'WKRP' I wonder if Tim Reid has a music curse on him.
bartl
Re:TV Shows that should be made available in repeats 2012/08/09 15:32:31
Cream Corn Brisco County Jr

Bruce Campbell is kind of like Brian Dennehy and Vincent Price in that he has a way of making anything he appears in, no matter how bad it is, a little better than it would have been otherwise.

Bart
Vince Macek
Double Cheeseburger
Re:TV Shows that should be made available in repeats 2012/08/09 17:30:23
bartl

Cream Corn Brisco County Jr

Bruce Campbell is kind of like Brian Dennehy and Vincent Price in that he has a way of making anything he appears in, no matter how bad it is, a little better than it would have been otherwise.

Bart

Agreed - and I'd add John Candy to the list. He always seemed to be instigating a good time with the viewer.
jman
Re:TV Shows that should be made available in repeats 2012/08/09 18:04:06
My vote is for Voyagers!
josefinajoisey
Hamburger
Re:TV Shows that should be made available in repeats 2012/08/14 09:49:13
Belle Reve, I agree about "A Town Like Alice"...one of my all time favorites. Also "Uncommon Women and Others", "Emergency", and the "Bugaloos".
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:TV Shows that should be made available in repeats 2012/08/14 10:18:23
I wish Banacek was a longer-running series. I have it on DVD...but that's not the same. When it did run in re-runs it shared a slot with Columbo ...McMillan (sometimes bonus & wife) I can't think of the name of the show with the guy on the horse.

Great Chefs series starting with New Orleans in the 80s. It was a superb and set in professional kitchens with no nonsense and sometimes no English. Narrated in fine fashion by Mary Lou Conroy.
Louis
Double Cheeseburger
Re:TV Shows that should be made available in repeats 2012/08/14 10:25:59
I'd like to see "Search" again, a (not now anyway) futuristic detective/adventure show of the early 1970s with Hugh O'Brien, Doug McClure and Tony Franciosa.

post edited by Louis - 2012/08/14 10:27:18
ScreamingChicken
Filet Mignon
Re:TV Shows that should be made available in repeats 2012/08/14 15:18:02
josefinajoisey

Also "Uncommon Women and Others", "Emergency", and the "Bugaloos".
"Emergency" will be returning to MeTV this fall.

CCinNJ

I wish Banacek was a longer-running series. I have it on DVD...but that's not the same. When it did run in re-runs it shared a slot with Columbo ...McMillan (sometimes bonus & wife) I can't think of the name of the show with the guy on the horse.
"Banacek", "McMillian & Wife", "Columbo", and "McCloud" (Dennis Weaver, the guy on the horse) were all part of the "NBC Mystery Movie" lineup (Saturday nights IIRC) in the '70s.
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:TV Shows that should be made available in repeats 2012/08/14 16:17:14
I was watching a Columbo with special guest star George Hamilton...while in labor with my youngest son. That was fun. Shushin the Doctor who never watched Columbo. If you miss the first 15 minutes...you're lost.
BelleReve
Re:TV Shows that should be made available in repeats 2012/08/16 14:17:30
I thought of a few more:

Mary Tyler Moore
Bob Newhart - both series
Masterpiece Mystery - the earlier shows that Diana Rigg hosted
Julia Child - her first series, and later when she hosted "Baking With Julia"
Pride and Prejudice - with Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehrle

Doc Martin - has anybody seen it?  It's a BBC comedy-drama series which never came on our local PBS channel. The premise is that Doc Martin was a renowned vascular surgeon in London before suddenly developing an aversion to blood, so  he accepts a GP position in a small seaside town called Portwenn (Port Isaac, Cornwall).  He's a great doctor but has no beside manner, very brusque, doesn't suffer fools, etc, and then there's a recurring cast of eccentric townspeople.  He does have one connection and that's his Aunt Joan who lives there (Barbara Bush's twin British sister).  You can get it through Netflix, or sometimes the local library.  Each season has 2-3 discs.

Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:TV Shows that should be made available in repeats 2012/08/16 16:41:26
BelleReve
Doc Martin - has anybody seen it?  It's a BBC comedy-drama series which never came on our local PBS channel. The premise is that Doc Martin was a renowned vascular surgeon in London before suddenly developing an aversion to blood, so  he accepts a GP position in a small seaside town called Portwenn (Port Isaac, Cornwall).  He's a great doctor but has no beside manner, very brusque, doesn't suffer fools, etc, and then there's a recurring cast of eccentric townspeople.  He does have one connection and that's his Aunt Joan who lives there (Barbara Bush's twin British sister).  You can get it through Netflix, or sometimes the local library.  Each season has 2-3 discs.

We get it here regularly on our local PBS Station. You need to Badger your local PBS station to pick it up. Send them a BIG Donation!!!
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:TV Shows that should be made available in repeats 2012/08/16 17:01:28
They should have kept the cameras rolling on The Restaurant with Rocco DiSpirito. Drama stress and difficult people. What's not to love?
kland01s
Filet Mignon
Re:TV Shows that should be made available in repeats 2012/08/16 17:27:07
Foodbme

BelleReve

We get it here regularly on our local PBS Station. You need to Badger your local PBS station to pick it up. Send them a BIG Donation!!!

Our PBS shows Doc Martin too, Saturday nights at 8 and Sunday afternoons on WTTW, channel 11 Chicago!
BelleReve
Re:TV Shows that should be made available in repeats 2012/08/19 12:04:43
on Doc Martin - I had to laugh, I thought it was something special that others didn't know about, and Foodbme you are so right about those pledges, it's certainly not for lack of trying, our PBS station has several pledge drives throughout the year and a yearly art auction that  preempts all their shows for about 10 days.    
kland01s
Filet Mignon
Re:TV Shows that should be made available in repeats 2012/08/19 14:43:35
In honor of Julia Child's 100th birthday, last Sunday our local PBS showed 4 episodes from French Chef year 1. They were done by the original Boston station and remixed this year so I'm guessing we might be seeing the original series available sometime soon. For very large PBS donation I'm sure! BTW, Doc Martin got preempted last night for WTTW's latest fundraiser.  
mr chips
Filet Mignon
Re:TV Shows that should be made available in repeats 2012/08/19 21:02:49
ken8038

I'd like to see the 1970's series The paper Chase rerun again. It's not been on for probably 20 years, and only the first 2 seasons have been released on video.

Also, there was a late night music TV show in the late 80's. I think it was on NBC for an hour each week. NOT Friday Night Videos, but instead featured low-key live performances by people who usually didn't turn up on TV.

Dam if I can remember the name of it, but I haven't seen it since. For some reason I remember Harry Connick Jr. being a sort of a regular on it, before he was famous.

I think you are talking about "The Midnight Special" which a few years ago was being sold in infomercials. mary tyler moore and bob newhart  are also on METV which just recently became available in the Portland area.
ken8038
Re:TV Shows that should be made available in repeats 2012/08/24 22:37:03
I just saw your response. Thanks, but it was not Midnight Special. This was a really low key Late Sunday Night/Early Monday Morning show on the NBC network. I've tried a few searches, but since I'm not sure at all about the actual title of the show, I can't find anything about it.
BelleReve
Re:TV Shows that should be made available in repeats 2012/08/26 11:40:51
Mr. Chips - thanks for mentioning METV, I have it, but had never paid much attention to it, our local listings has Newhart on Mondays, which am looking forward to seeing, and watched an old Twilight Zone show the other day 
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:TV Shows that should be made available in repeats 2012/08/26 16:36:32
New York Hot Tracks?
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:TV Shows that should be made available in repeats 2012/08/26 16:55:15
It's like that...and that's the way it should be...

MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
Re:TV Shows that should be made available in repeats 2012/08/26 17:36:22
Extreme Glow

FriedClamFanatic

The Rogues was a classic

That show is what got me to go to New Orleans.
Chez Helene was well served.
I found someone on the internet that burned me copies of all the episodes. They still hold up well.
Extreme Glow
Double Cheeseburger
Re:TV Shows that should be made available in repeats 2012/08/27 17:55:07
Seeing as how William Windom died recently, I would like to see "My World and Welcome to It".  I remember it fondly even though I was a kid when it came on in 1969.
Vince Macek
Double Cheeseburger
Re:TV Shows that should be made available in repeats 2012/08/27 19:06:08
Extreme Glow

Seeing as how William Windom died recently, I would like to see "My World and Welcome to It".  I remember it fondly even though I was a kid when it came on in 1969.

That would be nice to see again - I just got news of his death watching an original 'Star Trek' episode on the 'MeTV' channel where he guest-starred as a ship's captain. MeTV will be running 'Night Gallery' starting next month which pleases me greatly. Windom starred in a great episode 'They're Tearing Down Tim Reilly's Bar'. Yeah, I'm gonna have to stock up on VHS tapes and get into recording mode.
bartl
Re:TV Shows that should be made available in repeats 2012/08/28 23:01:15
I've been watching Night Gallery on hulu.com (where I can watch TV shows on my cell phone while waiting for my parking spot to be legal).

Bart
stricken_detective
Re:TV Shows that should be made available in repeats 2012/08/29 01:22:11
Eight is Enough (only season 1 has been released)
Welcome Back, Kotter (ditto)
The White Shadow

Brotherly Love
Sons of Tucson
The War At Home
Ned and Stacey
Bewitched
I Dream of Jeannie
Gilligan's Island
Ozzie & Harriet
Love Boat
Fantasy Island
Falcon Crest
Battlestar Galactica (not that remake, the original)

I realize most of these are on DVD. Doesn't matter, would be nice to have them on Me-TV.

And does anyone know why they just gloss over the mother dying in Eight is Enough? They barely mention it...one day she is out of town on a job & a few episodes later poof! she is dead.

mr chips
Filet Mignon
Re:TV Shows that should be made available in repeats 2012/08/29 22:38:21
Interesting news about an old TV show here in portland. KPTV here in portland has run Perry Mason in the noon to 1 p.m time slot since September of 1966(sic). On september 4th this will stop. A 46 year run for the same show in the same time slot has not happened before in the U.S. and is not likely to happen again. 

FriedClamFanatic
Re:TV Shows that should be made available in repeats 2012/08/29 23:01:47
Extreme Glow

FriedClamFanatic

The Rogues was a classic

What i would have given to be at that!.......thanks!
FriedClamFanatic
Re:TV Shows that should be made available in repeats 2012/08/29 23:19:47
I love watching old skits of Erni Kovacs..............Sid Caesar(espec with Imogene Coca)............Carol Burnett.........but they are better than watching the full re-runs.........and someone should do a compendium of the old Dean Martin "I gotta go to da couch now" routines......and the Rockford Files phone answering machine.

I forget which show paved the way with doing "outakes" as the credits rolled, but it was hilarious......was it Tim..um..I forget, Mr. Handyman for Binford? And I will never forget being in the theater and about to getting up at the end of "Grumpy Old Men" when they started with the outakes.the whole audience sat back down and roared
FriedClamFanatic
Re:TV Shows that should be made available in repeats 2012/08/29 23:25:14
BTW..found a short version of the Rockford Files:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MC778A548o