Helpful ReplyRibeye on the Big Green Egg

Junior Burger
2012/08/07 19:13:56
Instead of the reverse sear, here is the method I use for ribeyes on the BGE.
Start with a nice thick steak. Ribeyes from Costco seem to be the right thickness and marbling for this method. Seasoned up with Fiesta Uncle Chris' Steak Seasoning.

Lit up the BGE in two places. I remove the chimney entirely and open the damper all the way. We're shooting for 600-700.

Once we get up to temp, put the chimney on and leave the damper wide open. We want high heat without high flame.

Time to put on the steak. Leave the damper open, and close the chimney as much as you need to to stop flare-ups. I CAREFULLY peek down into it to make sure I'm not flaring too much. Exactly two minutes from the meat first hitting the grill, open and quickly rotate 45 degrees.

After another 2 minutes or a little less, flip the steak. You should have nice, even diamonds.

After another, you guessed it, 2 minutes, rotate again 45 degrees. Shut the damper and open the chimney and pull it when it passes the poke test. Oddly enough, about two minutes. Let it rest for 5-10 minutes and should be perfect.

This method has been amazingly consistent. Ribeyes and New Yorks work best, though tenderloin works fairly well too.
Plated up with some roasted taters and a zucchini mushroom bacon hash.

Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:Ribeye on the Big Green Egg 2012/08/07 21:31:22
Yummo!
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Ribeye on the Big Green Egg 2012/08/07 21:39:19
Nice presentation and instruction.

I see that you fried your BGE gasket.  Do you find this to be a problem?  I guess it doesn't matter as long as you're not using it as a smoker.

I'd love to see more of your BGE dishes.

Welcome to Roadfood!
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Ribeye on the Big Green Egg 2012/08/08 03:59:55
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Ribeye on the Big Green Egg 2012/08/08 07:22:27
Excuse me, but what you call a "rib-eye" is in fact "NY Strip".

In any case, welcome, from the Big D, to Roadfood!!!
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:Ribeye on the Big Green Egg 2012/08/08 08:03:59
Doesnt look like a NY strip to me....and I know my ribeyes!!Looks fantastic, doc!!
joerogo
Filet Mignon
Re:Ribeye on the Big Green Egg 2012/08/08 08:18:14
docbigsky, 10 years and 2 posts?  You sure are a chatty bugger

Perfect steak.  Nice use of the egg.
pnwchef
Filet Mignon
Re:Ribeye on the Big Green Egg 2012/08/08 12:35:51
Doc, looks like you BBQ every 5 yrs, if you have to or not. Great looking steak, come in more, we could use a good BBQ steak guy giving us a good reason to fire up the coals...................Take care................pnwc
pnwchef
Filet Mignon
Re:Ribeye on the Big Green Egg 2012/08/08 13:00:54
If you cut off between the white line you end up with the center portion of the ribeye. I had a butcher that did this for me when I offered Ribeye steaks for parties. When your dealing with large amounts of people, you don't want all the fat associated with a normal cut ribeye, at a nicer banquet. People don't like dealing with fat. When you use a large Rib, the center cut ribeye looks some what like a New York steak.......pnwc

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Ribeye on the Big Green Egg 2012/08/08 13:04:32
Dagnabit! You beat me to it.

WHOOPS! So did Ann.
post edited by Michael Hoffman - 2012/08/08 13:45:52
docbigsky
Junior Burger
Re:Ribeye on the Big Green Egg 2012/08/08 13:58:00
mar52

I see that you fried your BGE gasket.  Do you find this to be a problem?  I guess it doesn't matter as long as you're not using it as a smoker.

I've been putting it off for too long. Really the only reason I've procrastinated this far is that, for reasons I can't figure out, it doesn't leak. Must be sealed by soot. Definitely on the task list for September!
docbigsky
Junior Burger
Re:Ribeye on the Big Green Egg 2012/08/08 14:18:31
pnwchef

If you cut off between the white line you end up with the center portion of the ribeye. I had a butcher that did this for me when I offered Ribeye steaks for parties. When your dealing with large amounts of people, you don't want all the fat associated with a normal cut ribeye, at a nicer banquet. People don't like dealing with fat. When you use a large Rib, the center cut ribeye looks some what like a New York steak.......pnwc

Wow. The meatectives are on the case. I'm impressed with everyone's sleuthing skills. You are correct, chef. This particular steak I obtained from our restaurant. We hand-cut all our steaks, and our cutter trims the cap off the ribeyes for restaurant presentation. A grocery store butcher would leave it on, because otherwise he tosses into his grind bucket and sells it as burger for $1.50/lb, as opposed to $9-ish for steaks. Plus, if we leave it on it causes the grill to flame up too much, and when we've got 30 steaks on at a time, that's not good. :)

BTW, never cooked for a paycheck--purely amateur. My role has always been front of the house and admin. I do have some great culinary minds around me to draw on, however!
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Ribeye on the Big Green Egg 2012/08/08 17:10:14
docbigsky

pnwchef

Wow. The meatectives are on the case. I'm impressed with everyone's sleuthing skills. You are correct, chef. This particular steak I obtained from our restaurant. We hand-cut all our steaks, and our cutter trims the cap off the ribeyes for restaurant presentation. A grocery store butcher would leave it on, because otherwise he tosses into his grind bucket and sells it as burger for $1.50/lb, as opposed to $9-ish for steaks. Plus, if we leave it on it causes the grill to flame up too much, and when we've got 30 steaks on at a time, that's not good. :)

BTW, never cooked for a paycheck--purely amateur. My role has always been front of the house and admin. I do have some great culinary minds around me to draw on, however!

I stand corrected. 

Thank you gentlemen, Michael, & Ann for the "schooling"!
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Ribeye on the Big Green Egg 2012/08/08 17:33:55
MetroplexJim
Excuse me, but what you call a "rib-eye" is in fact "NY Strip".
In any case, welcome, from the Big D, to Roadfood!!!

Everything you want to know about your Cuts of Beef!
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-new-york-strip-steak.htm#
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:Ribeye on the Big Green Egg 2012/08/08 19:59:26
Like i said, I know my ribeyes! Frankly, dont likr NY strips, too much-...

ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:Ribeye on the Big Green Egg 2012/08/08 20:02:27
No big deal, Jim. Am a rib eye fan.........

Mosca
Filet Mignon
☄ Helpful
Re:Ribeye on the Big Green Egg 2012/08/08 22:56:19
Regarding the gasket, I put off doing mine for a long time; I thought it would be a real PITN. When I finally did it, it was ridiculously easy. Total work time, aside from allowing the glue to dry, was 30 minutes tops. I used the nomex gasket, which has held up really well this summer. I've set the 500* cast iron grate right on the gasket, and nothing happened to it.

Regular method vs reverse sear, no big deal. Craig "Meathead" Goldwyn, webmaster at Amazingribs.com and popularizer of reverse-sear, did a cookoff against Weber house chef Jamie Purviance, comparing both methods, and there are advantages each way. The final verdict was "different, but neither necessarily better." There's a great video on the website.
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Ribeye on the Big Green Egg 2012/08/09 00:34:40
I replaced my gasket last year but I went in a different direction.

It took me awhile because I didn't remove the lid.  (and I'm a girl   )

I used a Rutland gasket and Peratex Ultra Copper gasket in a tube as the adhesive.  The Rutland gasket is thicker so I only put a bottom gasket (no gasket on the lid) and it's perfectly sealed.  I purchased both on Ebay.

I've had it up to 700ยบ for pizza and the gasket still looks perfect.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Ribeye on the Big Green Egg 2012/08/09 03:57:36
With al the "Gasket" Conversations seen on here, you'd think the BGE people would have come up with a solution for their gasket problem. (Or maybe they just want to sell more gaskets)
It's like my Whirlpool refrigerator. I paid about $900 for it. The icemaker filter is supposed to be replaced about every 6 months at $50 a pop = $100 a yr.
Pay more for the filters than I did for the reefer in 10 years, IF it lasts that long!
marzsit
Cheeseburger
Re:Ribeye on the Big Green Egg 2012/08/09 07:58:54
Foodbme

With al the "Gasket" Conversations seen on here, you'd think the BGE people would have come up with a solution for their gasket problem. (Or maybe they just want to sell more gaskets)
It's like my Whirlpool refrigerator. I paid about $900 for it. The icemaker filter is supposed to be replaced about every 6 months at $50 a pop = $100 a yr.
Pay more for the filters than I did for the reefer in 10 years, IF it lasts that long!

my dad had the same problem with his icemaker living in las vegas. water in your area is pretty nasty stuff, the solution is to install a large external filter with a small pore element (5 micron or less) in the water line going to the fridge.
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Ribeye on the Big Green Egg 2012/08/09 16:08:40
Foodbme, I just stopped buying the water filters and all seems okay.

When the water and ice taste funny I might buy another.  So far it's been a year without a problem.

When I did get them I bought them online here:

http://www.discountfilterstore.com/

Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Ribeye on the Big Green Egg 2012/08/10 00:31:33
mar52
Foodbme, I just stopped buying the water filters and all seems okay.
When the water and ice taste funny I might buy another.  So far it's been a year without a problem.
When I did get them I bought them online here:
http://www.discountfilterstore.com/

THANX!!!! for the site!
The one mine uses is about 1/2 price from what I've been paying!!!