Coring a sandwich bun??

Hamburger
2012/08/14 12:18:40
Guys, 

After looking at the post with the Beli truck I started to look and look and here is some info. Guys name is Clayton Holbrook. Seems that the idea did not float or this would be one heck of an idea. 

patents

www.google.com/patents/US20040200361

www.google.com/patents/US7011859

The way to core the middle is with a stainless steel cylindrical (serrated edge) drill bit. He also uses a vacum to suck out the inside of the bread while its being cored.

The other problem I see is the way he puts in the filling. He uses the some type of food grade plastic sheet he calls the carrier sleeve. That then gets two plastic rings on each side to hold the content together. He pushes the content in (what if the bread breaks??) then hooks up the plug to the extractor and its done. Still makes me wonder if those plastic rings could end up inside while he takes out the sleeve.

Anyways, I would like to expand on this idea. I have been calling him but no answer. Its like he dropped of the face of the Earth a year ago.

John
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Coring a sandwich bun?? 2012/08/14 12:53:55
Thanks for the info John. A very interesting topic.

My brother holds hundreds of patents...from cat liter liners to toothbrush gadgets. Now that he's in private practice maybe he can design a sandwich corer for his favorite little sister...and my favorite brother-in law can build it.

I will make the sandwiches for them.
jcarbon
Hamburger
Re:Coring a sandwich bun?? 2012/08/14 14:18:16
CC,

I think its a very cool idea but not sure how fast you could make these in a commercial setting. Just seems like it would take you about 2 minutes per sandwich to prepare and thats a lot of time spent on one item. It does get points for making it simpler to eat with much less mess.

For some reason I feel there is got to be a faster way to put the content inside the bread.  
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Coring a sandwich bun?? 2012/08/14 15:54:01
I would be happy with one. They came up with a hot dog roller that I love. They would kill each other (or me) if they had to produce them for commercial sales.

I wish I could build. I can make this do that and that do this...but can't build this or that.
roadkillgrill
Cheeseburger
Re:Coring a sandwich bun?? 2012/08/15 02:00:52
Off the top of my head.
12" of 1" Stainless steel tubing...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-304-stainless-steel-12-long-straight-tubing-/271000684101?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f18e64645&vxp=mtr#ht_500wt_1180
Take to welder and have them cut 1/4" gap down 10". 
Dremel Cone Sharpener. Sharpen inside, forcing bread inwards, not outwards
I'd etch measurement marks for reference.
I'd leave it with no handle so it's easier to clean

For quick cleanout: dowel or something 3/4" on a base.

Save the innereds for croutons...

Good Luck

chilidan
Cheeseburger
Re:Coring a sandwich bun?? 2012/08/24 01:12:46
what about designing something(like a stainless tube)to put in the raw dough so when it's baked the hole will already be there?
roadkillgrill
Cheeseburger
Re:Coring a sandwich bun?? 2012/08/26 00:28:07
chilidan

what about designing something(like a stainless tube)to put in the raw dough so when it's baked the hole will already be there?

Should work. I'd proof it with the tube in place. I think you would end up witha crunchy interior. I believe my folks would rather have a soft interior. iono? I used to buy the IQF Hoagie rolls at Sams. They arent advertised to sell, but they dosell them. Not expensive either, . Thaw them, Proof them, Bake them. I do that for about 6 months each year. Also the dough makes WONDERFUL pizza dough. even make your own rolls with it.