Hot!Sharkii's Food truck

Hamburger
2012/08/17 14:46:59

Sharkii's is a partnership which   Consist of myself Ricardo and Christina . We will be one of the younger owner/ operator teams in the Central Florida area, she is 26 and I am 20 years old. We will be based out of Central Florida.
The Sharkii's concept is simple we will be serving tacos with an international twist. We will carry the classics from chicken, beef, and pork. Some of the not so classic offerings will be duck, turkey, shrimp, calamari, tripe, and our signature shark tacos.. 
We are looking hopefully at a late December opening date. We will keep everyone updated on the status of the build. 

The one issue we face is being young, but the way i look at it knowledge is power. We know what we want and how to achieve it. We as a team go most of the truck events weekly learning from the other vendors on what to do and not do. The one main thing we notice is that not all of their business models are the same but most of them have many similarities.  Some vendors are real helpful with question and helping out, but some are not. They are where they are besause they put in the work and long hours and we admire that :)  We have have done all our research and questioning the health department, fire marshal, police department, county, city , all up and down the ladder. One of the biggest helps has been this Road food furum . I have read every single thread on the Restaurant proffesionals forum and just wanted to say THANK YOU to all of the inviduals that contributed their time and knowledge to help other's out.

The truck is a 1998 Chevy p-30 step van with 41000 miles on it. WE got the truck at a great price after looking around for over a year. THe inside is 12ft x 6.5 ft x 76 inches. As of right now the truck is an empty canvas ready to be built so excited  :) We have purchased most of the equipment, now we are ready put the puzzle together. 

Once again Thank you everyone on this great forum for all the knowledge and helpful information you provide :)

Ricardo
Sharkiis@live.com

pnwchef
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Sharkii's Food truck 2012/08/17 16:24:57
Ricardo, welcome to roadfood and good luck in your new adventure. Don't worry about your youth, worry about the quality of your food. You have 3 1/2 months to learn, that isn't enough time to be a jack of all trades in the cooking world, but, it is enough time to be good at a few items on a food truck. Learn how to cook everything now, try out different sauces, methods of cooking, presentations of your finished food items. Most food trucks only have  a few items, they keep it high quality, simple, and visually appealing. Be the best of the few items you offer, this is how you will be judged..................the best.................pnwc
sharkii's
Hamburger
Re:Sharkii's Food truck 2012/08/17 17:14:50
Thank you . Quality and customer service are our two most important things on our agenda. Well I do have experience in cooking and catering. I use to be an assistant manager in a couple of different places in south fl. That is exactly what we are doing. we have a taste night at our house with friends and family and have them write us a review .
sharkii's
Hamburger
Re:Sharkii's Food truck 2012/08/17 17:17:28
one of the things we are having some issues with is on trying to figure out fundraiser percentages.Going to do some more research on them.
sharkii's
Hamburger
Re:Sharkii's Food truck 2012/08/19 11:13:11
can anyone post pictures up for me if I email it to them?
BTM676
Cheeseburger
Re:Sharkii's Food truck 2012/08/21 16:21:25
" _mce_src="http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/null" />
marco226
Cheeseburger
Re:Sharkii's Food truck 2012/08/21 17:14:11
welcome to roadfood. nice truck very clean. good luck to you.
sharkii's
Hamburger
Re:Sharkii's Food truck 2012/08/21 19:23:53
Thank you . Good luck to both of you with your build. I got the door done today so one more item off the checklist.
BTM676
Cheeseburger
Re:Sharkii's Food truck 2012/08/22 09:06:04
sharkii's
Hamburger
Re:Sharkii's Food truck 2012/08/22 23:31:37
cutting out the window opening tomorrow. really excited about it. any warnings before I cut it out?? any tips on framing The window ?
sharkii's
Hamburger
Re:Sharkii's Food truck 2012/08/22 23:33:58
wanting to build a big shark fin to put on top of the truck but don't know how to go about it. maybe have a welder make me one?
sharkii's
Hamburger
Re:Sharkii's Food truck 2012/08/22 23:47:06
cutting out the window opening tomorrow. really excited about it. any warnings before I cut it out?? any tips on framing The window ?
BTM676
Cheeseburger
Re:Sharkii's Food truck 2012/08/22 23:54:54
i framed out the window first then cut. I used the frame as a guide. Measure 20 times cut once. lol
sharkii's
Hamburger
Re:Sharkii's Food truck 2012/08/23 00:20:38
how did you frame out the window? I'm curious. I have a metal guy near by and he sells me metal cheaper than anywhere else. do you have any pics?
BTM676
Cheeseburger
Re:Sharkii's Food truck 2012/08/24 12:06:25
Yeah i have pictures on my thread page one or two. First you have to measure your window and the lenght of the wall. I worked from the back of the truck to the front. but its about where do you want your window located. I framed everything out and then cut the window out using the beams as a guide. oh i spaced out my beams 12 inch on center.  
sharkii's
Hamburger
Re:Sharkii's Food truck 2012/08/24 22:40:23
I will look over your thread again. Well I got a frame welded 52x32 for the awning that I am cutting out. Then the window we are thinking of framing it in before we cut out the hole so we can use it as. Guide. We are building a plexiglass typeof window. How much did that window from home depot come out to ?? I got the frames for the propane tanks done as well today and painted the rear bumper. It is such an adventure working on getting everything correct and how you want it.
sharkii's
Hamburger
Re:Sharkii's Food truck 2012/08/24 22:44:15
What do you guys think of putting up a coming soon banner on the truck with the Facebook page and all of our info? I work at walmart so I can park it when I'm at work. Do you guys think its a good idea?
sharkii's
Hamburger
Re:Sharkii's Food truck 2012/09/08 13:16:51
Cutting out the window opening today . Wish me luck everyone.
BTM676
Cheeseburger
Re:Sharkii's Food truck 2012/09/12 22:09:49
So how the window turn out?
sharkii's
Hamburger
Re:Sharkii's Food truck 2012/09/12 23:01:40
Window is almost done. Awning came out great. My phone is broken so I have no way to take pics. This week I'm looking into purchasing the ac, the water heater and water pump. Any ideas ?
BTM676
Cheeseburger
Re:Sharkii's Food truck 2012/09/13 00:29:15
I dont have an AC unit. I have a 4 gal hot water tank and a 12volt 3.5 ish water pump. I forgot the name, its on my thread. Both work great and the pump was/is  impressive. I have alot of flow and the pump isnt loud at all,  which is nice. lol  Use PEX tubing for your plumbing. its so easy to use its great stuff.
sharkii's
Hamburger
Re:Sharkii's Food truck 2012/09/17 01:15:08
Well I'm in fl so ac is a must. I will use the flex pipe. I can get it at lowes. I put up all the insulation. This weekend and painted the back and front bumper. Hoping to get all the electric done this week. We are going to be installing 1 inch led color changing rope lights all around the outside of the truck. Got. a killer deal on 50 ft of rope , controllers,and all hardware and stuff for 120 dollars from a sign shop that's selling its inventory.
sharkii's
Hamburger
Re:Sharkii's Food truck 2012/09/22 00:00:43

sharkii's
Hamburger
Re:Sharkii's Food truck 2012/09/22 00:19:45
sharkii's
Hamburger
Re:Sharkii's Food truck 2012/09/22 13:54:52
I need to install the rope light on the truck. Anyone have any ideas on how to install them without having to drill 1000 holes all around the truck?? I'm stuck on this and need some ideas.
buffy1711
Hamburger
Re:Sharkii's Food truck 2012/09/22 23:12:08
Are you installing them on the outside of the truck?
sharkii's
Hamburger
Re:Sharkii's Food truck 2012/09/22 23:16:45
Yes on the outside. Right over the window lip all around the truck.
sharkii's
Hamburger
Re:Sharkii's Food truck 2012/09/23 23:44:57
Do steam tables need to be under the hood system?
sharkii's
Hamburger
Re:Sharkii's Food truck 2012/09/23 23:46:33
looking at this table . It is a 2 well . I should be able to get it for under 100.
sharkii's
Hamburger
Re:Sharkii's Food truck 2012/09/25 19:02:12

The awning is still not completely done. Need to find the springs for it to open , but I am having a hard time finding a bracket . The total cost was a little over 100 to build it. I bought all of the supplies at Lowe's. I am currently working on the sliding window screens.

At the end those are chicken empanadas with sharkiis green sauce .

reese77
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Sharkii's Food truck 2012/09/25 20:29:19
The awning looks really nice, nice job. Is the black base for the LP tank supported on the bottom?
sharkii's
Hamburger
Re:Sharkii's Food truck 2012/09/25 20:41:23
Thanks. Yes it iis supported on the bottom and if you look closely it is also supported on the frame of the truck.
BTM676
Cheeseburger
Re:Sharkii's Food truck 2012/09/28 23:52:27
Everything is looking good dude!
OurCoffeeTruck
Hamburger
Re:Sharkii's Food truck 2012/09/29 19:52:07
Looking really good. You should try to find some local plumbing suppliers for the pipe and fittings. I have found that our lowes will be severel times more expensive than any supply house for fittings, pipe, etc
sharkii's
Hamburger
Re:Sharkii's Food truck 2012/09/29 21:46:54
Thank you:) well on Thursday I went to a food truck builder in my area and spent the whole day with them helping them and getting Some ideas. Well I think they gave me some great prices so I am going to have them work on it. They are doing my gas lines for 400 . The electric for 400 and the plumbing for 200 as long as I bring in the tanks.When they do the electric they will put up my walls and the stainless backing for the Hood area. What do you guys think on the pricing? I got some work done on the screens , will finish tomorrow and post more pictures.

sharkii's
Hamburger
Re:Sharkii's Food truck 2012/10/01 21:52:32
http://www.facebook.com/sharkiistruck

Everyone please like and share our page . More pics of the build on facebook.
sharkii's
Hamburger
Re:Sharkii's Food truck 2012/10/27 20:31:44
Got some work done on the truck. Still missing the plumbing, gas lines, stainless back wall , hood system. Once you have stuff inside it feels like you have so much more done.

Sorry for the blurry pics.
OurCoffeeTruck
Hamburger
Re:Sharkii's Food truck 2012/10/27 21:17:42
lookin good. are you going to finish the floor or leave it the aluminum?
sharkii's
Hamburger
Re:Sharkii's Food truck 2012/10/27 21:28:01
Leave it aluminum for now. It is in real nice shape. Need to save up money to purchase the hood system . How is your build coming along?
OurCoffeeTruck
Hamburger
Re:Sharkii's Food truck 2012/10/27 23:35:44
Slower than I want. Been really busy doing other things. Hopefully this next week we'll be able to get a lot more done. We shall see. Our floor was trashed so we had to cover it with quarter inch osb. How much did your insulation wind up costing?
Buck & Vi's
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Sharkii's Food truck 2012/10/28 06:03:31
sharkii, wheres the food trk builder in your area?
sharkii's
Hamburger
Re:Sharkii's Food truck 2012/10/28 11:48:39
We wanted to add a floor but it was in such good shape that we didn't make the expense but always have the option to.how big is your truck though? I only have 12x7 of working space.

A couple of builders are in the orlando area. Close to international drive area.
OurCoffeeTruck
Hamburger
Re:Sharkii's Food truck 2012/10/28 12:54:56
ours is about 14.5' long X 6.5' wide X 6.25' tall inside the kitchen area. I can't tell by the pictures but are you eliminating the door to your cab? We are and It's going to work out really well for us with counter space. When do you think you will be opening for business?
sharkii's
Hamburger
Re:Sharkii's Food truck 2012/10/28 13:55:30
We are still debating on it. Nothing is secured yet so we can still play around with it. We have a target opening of late february. Our whole licensing process can be done in less than a month. What did you seal it with?? Our insulation came out to 60 dollars total. Only because my fiancee works at lowes and she gets some deals sometimes.
OurCoffeeTruck
Hamburger
Re:Sharkii's Food truck 2012/10/30 15:55:54
We just put some construction adhesive down and screwed it off. Hopefully spray foaming will seal off the rest of the cracks in the walls and roof. We are hoping to be done by the end of the year. HA. We'll see.
j.lamboy
Junior Burger
Re:Sharkii's Food truck 2014/06/20 03:32:51
Hi, Sharkii's Im in the Oviedo FL area. Looking for a resealable price on doing some work to my truck. Please let me know of the guys that you posted.. Thank you