Fountain Pens

bartl
  • Total Posts : 1208
  • Reward points : 0
Fountain Pens - Sat, 08/18/12 10:25 PM
Several posts on the "Things Forgotten" thread prompted me to write this one.

How many people here use fountain pens? For years, I used the cheap Sheaffer's, but I finally decided that I wanted a decent pen, without a lot of bells and whistles. At a business supply store (pre-Staples and Office Depot), I lucked out with a salesperson who hooked me up with a Lamy Safari. Great pen, has a grip that makes it easy to hold at the correct angle (if you're right handed), and has a special cartridge for use with bottled ink.

Bart

edwmax
  • Total Posts : 2012
Re:Fountain Pens - Sun, 08/19/12 9:31 AM
Sheaffer doesn't seem to be cheap any more.    I've been looking for a pen, they are in the $30 to $60 range.   ... Even used pens seem to have a high resell value.

MetroplexJim
  • Total Posts : 3704
Re:Fountain Pens - Sun, 08/19/12 10:30 AM
I always sign contracts with my broad-nibbed Waterman 'le man'.

MetroplexJim
  • Total Posts : 3704
Re:Fountain Pens - Sun, 08/19/12 10:33 AM
edwmax

Sheaffer doesn't seem to be cheap any more.    I've been looking for a pen, they are in the $30 to $60 range.   ... Even used pens seem to have a high resell value.

E-Bay is a great place to shop for fountain pens.  As always, be sure to pick a reputable seller; counterfiets are out there - especially on the "high end" pieces.

cavandre
  • Total Posts : 1597
Re:Fountain Pens - Sun, 08/19/12 11:02 AM
I really don't like fountain pens...I think it has to do with being forced to use them in Catholic grade school & too many ruined white shirts.

Sundancer7
  • Total Posts : 13385
Re:Fountain Pens - Sun, 08/19/12 12:44 PM
I have to honestly say that I do not enjoy writing.l  I use my word processor on my computer and usually, the only writing I do is sign my name and date.

I guess one of the reasons is that as I get older, my writing becomes more illegible and sorta shaky.  When I did write, I did not use a fountain pen but I used a fine tip permanent black ink roller ball.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17801
Re:Fountain Pens - Sun, 08/19/12 1:33 PM
I remember my uncle standing in line for three hours at Macy's on 34th Street to buy two Rocket Pens, one for me and one for my cousin. They were supposed to be the first-ever ballpoint pens. I loved ballpoints because I no longer had to fill fountain pens from ink bottles. Of course, nothing was as much fun has having inkwells in desks at school for dipping your non-fountain pen just about every third word. Even better, being able to dip Claire Hummel's curls in my inkwell as she sat in front of me in third grade.

mar52
  • Total Posts : 7591
Re:Fountain Pens - Sun, 08/19/12 2:23 PM
My fountain pen is a Parker Cisele.  I love everything about it....  except that I get the ink all over my fingers when I use it. 

So it resides in a leather holder with it's Cisele cousins... the ballpoint and pencil.

kland01s
  • Total Posts : 2835
Re:Fountain Pens - Sun, 08/19/12 2:31 PM
I have a lovely Parker fountain pen and pencil set, engraved and given to me by a former employer! It's been in it's lovely case since that day I left them in 1979. I spent my working life mostly working in engineering. Way back when I started in 1969 the drawing pens were all like a fountain pen and a real art to refill them. One of the older fellows back then was a real artist drawing with the drawing pens from a traditional drafting set of tools. Davydd probably knows what I'm talking about.

mar52
  • Total Posts : 7591
Re:Fountain Pens - Sun, 08/19/12 2:43 PM
kland01s, I think I know what you mean.  They had a different type of nib which you pushed in to release the ink.

I also have a German purchased Mont Blanc that doesn't look like those purchased here.  It leaks all on its own with no assistance by me.  It resides in a drawer.

iluvcfood
  • Total Posts : 395
Re:Fountain Pens - Sun, 08/19/12 3:04 PM
I used to collect Vintage fountain pens but havent done so in quite awhile.
This is the newest one I own and it was purchased about 10 years ago.
Its a Parker with 18k Gold nib.
Before computers ever entered my life I used to fill this one with Burgandy ink and write letters! Now all I ever use it for is for signing cards that I send out from time to time!

bartl
  • Total Posts : 1208
Re:Fountain Pens - Sun, 08/19/12 3:22 PM
You can still get the cheap (but not quite as cheap) Sheaffer's; they're called "calligraphy pens" and are about $8 each (back in the mid-80's, I paid about $3 each). But the nibs do go bad, so it's better getting a good quality but not fancy fountain pen (I still recommend Lamy Safari for right-handers, which I've seen on Amazon for as little as $22).

As far as not getting ink all over your fingers, it's just a matter of a little practice (and an advantage; nobody ever asks to borrow your pen. At least more than once).

As far as dip pens go, when I was doing artwork, I used to do the pencils in non-photo blue (I still have a couple of them in unused condition, although the erasers are long dried out), and the inks using crowquill pens and india ink. They now have felt-tipped markers for inking work.

Bart

sudie
  • Total Posts : 228
Re:Fountain Pens - Mon, 08/20/12 6:23 AM
I Love my Parker fountain pens. I currently have two stainless ones that I paid about $20 each for. I need two, as I often misplace one. When I taught, i used to tall my kids I couldn't teach if I couldn't find my pen. Even first and second graders had a hard time buying that, but I always felt undone when my pen wasn't close at hand. There's just something wonderful about writing with a fountain pen.

Tampico
  • Total Posts : 84
Re:Fountain Pens - Mon, 08/20/12 7:30 AM
I love old Parker 51's. 

carlton pierre
  • Total Posts : 2500
Re:Fountain Pens - Mon, 08/20/12 8:04 AM
As someone already mentioned I developed a dislike for fountain pens in grade school.  I do love and collect interesting pens but stay away from the fountain variety.