Grocery store layout

Sirloin
2012/08/20 18:30:51
Isn't the vinegar "usually" next to the salad dressing and mayonnaise?

I usually shop at Ralph's which is Kroger.

Today I stopped at Albertson's.  Nothing was were it should be.  I was walking up and down the aisles looking for things.

The vinegar was off by itself and the milk was in a reach-down into refrigerator in the middle of the store.
Paper goods and poisons were next to pet food.

Huh?

Got my exercise today walking those aisles.

CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Grocery store layout 2012/08/20 18:37:08
They always hide the evaporated milk. It could be in 10 different places.
jman
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Grocery store layout 2012/08/20 19:08:05
If you think that's screwy, try shopping at Meijer.  Their freezer and dairy sections are located in the middle of the store and are surrounded by non-grocery items.
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:Grocery store layout 2012/08/20 19:09:01
I pretty much always go to Meijer, and it seems like every 4-5 months they move everything. But it doesn't matter what store I shop, I can never seem to find certain things. Take molasses. I would think, logically, molasses would be found in the baking aisle. But I have found it there, near the syrup, near the granola bars, near the peanut butter, in one of the ethnic aisles, and (this was my favourite), next to the dog food.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Grocery store layout 2012/08/20 19:10:22
Walmart insures that they will get increased customer traffic flow by moving stuff around now and then.  So the jell-o is no longer where it was, It is now in another aisle. About the only sections to remain 'permanent' are the meat and deli.
We shop at a local chain, owned by Kroger, but has it's own management....but the floor layout is the same as the Kroger stores.
iluvcfood
Cheeseburger
Re:Grocery store layout 2012/08/20 19:35:58
We used to shop exclusively at Albertsons and before that when it was Big Bear market.
Now we shop pretty much all the time at Ralphs as Albertsons prices have sky-rocketed! 
For our fresh veggies and fresh fish, chicken, beef and sausage we go to Sprouts! Best and freshest and cheapest in town.
On a sidenote..........the Albertsons that is close to us has a HUGE selection but as Mar said......  the store is layed out all weird!
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
Re:Grocery store layout 2012/08/20 20:09:31
Sideways or vertical aisles? Wehave a couple of big stores whose aisles go sideways instead of up and down.Seems to follow your path through the store.  Much more comfortable.
Maybe Davy wil weigh in. He should have some insight into store design.
post edited by 1bbqboy - 2012/08/20 20:11:14
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Grocery store layout 2012/08/20 21:12:29
The way that certain stores are laid out certainly affects some folks certainly Mamaw Smith.  She is 90 and she refuses to shop any where except Food City.  Why???  She indicates that she knows where every thing is.  Like most stores of their size, they have a particular way of marketing.  I took her to Krogers and although the same thing was there, no way.  She bought nothing.  Back to Food City???

I guess I will get old also???  You bet.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Grocery store layout 2012/08/20 22:21:47
I know that name brands jockey for eye level position or items that everyone buys like tomato soup are on the bottom rows because you'll bend over to get them (not real reason) but when they're on weird aisles it just seemed wrong.

Used to be produce was on the left, milk was in the back and I knew which way to walk.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Grocery store layout 2012/08/21 02:43:23
All the higher margin items are on the outer perimeter of the store -Veggies, meats, deli, bakery. Milk in the back of the store so you need to go by other items to get to it. Frozen Foods generally in the center of the store.
Kids cereals generally at about 4', just at kid seat height, adult hi-end cereals on top shelves, generic cereals on the bottom shelves. All by design.
kland01s
Filet Mignon
Re:Grocery store layout 2012/08/21 10:01:34
We shop at Woodman's which is a Wisconsin based store with maybe 15 outlets. It's huge warehouse sized store that is all grocery except for about 10 small aisles of things like shampoo, toothpaste and such. If you are looking for something, they might have 10 varieties. They even carry Buddy Roadhouse's BBQ sauces! It takes awhile to learn the lay of the land, soup might be in 4 places. You'll find it in the soup aisle, the ethnic aisle if it's Asian, Thai, Jewish or English, the Mexican aisle or the health food aisle. It all depends on the type or brand. Being a Wisconsin store, the cheese department is huge, maybe 12 normal sized dairy cases or more. I know a number of people who won't shop there because it's too much for them! Oh.... and the prices are lowest around.

http://www.woodmans-food.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/w..Woodman%27s_Food_Market

CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Grocery store layout 2012/08/21 10:32:38
As long as there's a self-checkout so my coupons scan faster...I like being in the Supermarket.

Has anyone been to Jungle Jim's?
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Grocery store layout 2012/08/21 11:34:06
CC
 We used to do a Jungle Jim's run a couple times a year, or if we had company that is interested in that sort of shopping. it is about 110 miles each way, so it became a destination store for us.Since our Costco opened here in L-ville we haven't been to JJ's unless we are passing thru that part of Ohio.  It remains an amazing place to shop for foodies !
Re:Grocery store layout 2012/08/21 14:12:58
Mar, I thought this thread was going to be about how you dealt with someone who gave you a bad time in the store!

6star
Filet Mignon
Re:Grocery store layout 2012/08/21 15:29:20
CCinNJ

As long as there's a self-checkout so my coupons scan faster...I like being in the Supermarket.

Has anyone been to Jungle Jim's?

I have been to Jungle Jim's a couple of times, but it has been quite a while ago.  I love going there, but it is usually quite a bit out of my way, since if I am going to Ohio, I am usually going to Cedar Point (Sandusky).