At the Car Wash...

jcheese
  • Total Posts : 738
  • Reward points : 0
At the Car Wash... - Fri, 08/24/12 6:27 PM
Had a kid stop by a weekly spot I do and ate a couple dogs. Liked them so much, he went and got his boss.His boss owns a car wash and said he needs something like my set up there. Busiest days are Fri. &Sat.
Don't wanna tie up my Sat's cuz I do events, so I said I could set up every Fri. there. Went by and checked it out today to check logistics, etc. He said I shoulda been there today cuz they must have had 100 cars go thru.
I'd be right on the street with easy pull in-pull out, and good visibility.
So, was just wondering if any one else does car wash's and had any tips or comments. I know rainy day's will be wash outs, but a bonus is he says he's busiest in winter.

Foodbme
  • Total Posts : 9526
Re:At the Car Wash... - Fri, 08/24/12 7:51 PM
Go for it!
Concentrated Traffic
People who'll have time to grab a Weenie.
If you have someone who can hand out a little flyer with a coupon when they get out of their cars all the better!
Need to give quick service.
If it doesn't work, you can always move!
Arrange to be there on Saturdays if you don't have an event.

jcheese
Re:At the Car Wash... - Fri, 08/24/12 8:10 PM
Gonna go for it, starting tomorrow (Sat. is open) as a test. People get out of their car and sit and wait. A lot do it on their lunch hour. Even snacks and drinks would work, or just conversation as they're waiting. Quick service is my specialty.
My Thursday gig ends Nov. 1st, events die off, so I think I can do this Thurs,Fri,Sat Fall and winter, early Spring.(Weather permitting)
Also, does some advertising on local TV and Radio and he said he could tie me into it. I'm building my brand name around here, so it's a win-win for both of us.

"A Dawg and a Wawsh!!".......

RCDoggin
  • Total Posts : 24
Re:At the Car Wash... - Fri, 08/24/12 8:14 PM
JC, there's a car wash around the corner from me that does just a massive business on the weekends.  The line to get in snakes down the road and and causes problems getting in and out of the Rite-Aid next door. 

I've thought of that spot many times but here's the deal:  It's a drive-thru and the people stay in their cars.  They can park and get out to vacuum but it's not a full service CW where people sit around waiting for their cars to be finished.  

I've wondered if I would just end up watching them all drive by the cart.  What type is it?  Maybe someone could help us both out with some insight on this one.

BTW, 100 cars doesn't sound like much even if the kid doesn't have the exaggeration gene.

Tristan225
  • Total Posts : 350
Re:At the Car Wash... - Fri, 08/24/12 9:14 PM
Ya, 100 is not really that many but it's worth a try, especially in the winter. Maybe in a spot like that you could set up a shelter and heat it.

jcheese
Re:At the Car Wash... - Fri, 08/24/12 11:33 PM
It's a full service joint where you get out and wait for yer car. Even if yer not hungry you may come and talk about when you are. Exposure to 100 people is major in this One Horse Town.

djdawg
  • Total Posts : 439
Re:At the Car Wash... - Sat, 08/25/12 2:59 PM
That sounds awesome....does rain really affect people getting out that much?  Here in the NW, rain is a part of life 9 months of the year and from what I hear from others, many sell more hot dogs during the winter than any other time.  Sounds like a great set up!

CCinNJ
  • Total Posts : 7742
Re:At the Car Wash... - Sat, 08/25/12 3:15 PM
Is it a brushless (by hand) Car Wash or automatic?

Do they offer extended services past the basics? Oil change detailing etc?

BpCBlake
  • Total Posts : 436
Re:At the Car Wash... - Sat, 08/25/12 3:44 PM
doggin at the car wash, oooohhhhh.
hmm,  sounds likje a familar song I heard once.

DadsDogs
  • Total Posts : 629
Re:At the Car Wash... - Sun, 08/26/12 3:49 AM
CCinNJ

Is it a brushless (by hand) Car Wash or automatic?

Do they offer extended services past the basics? Oil change detailing etc?

Hi CC, post number 3 by jcheese says customers get out of their cars and wait.  That seems like a great opportunity to sell some dogs I think.  I've done car washes before and they were profitable.  Good Luck jcheese!!!   DD

Foodbme
Re:At the Car Wash... - Sun, 08/26/12 4:28 AM
Anxious to hear how Saturday went!

Foodbme
Re:At the Car Wash... - Sun, 08/26/12 4:34 AM
Tristan225

Ya, 100 is not really that many but it's worth a try, especially in the winter. Maybe in a spot like that you could set up a shelter and heat it.

Everything's relative!
2010 Population in Fieldale VA - 879
Meet your neighbors at the car wash!
100 cars is a lot!

CCinNJ
Re:At the Car Wash... - Sun, 08/26/12 11:13 AM
The great news is that the summer is the slower season vs. fall winter & spring...and that's coming to a close. Brushless (by hand) washes take much more time vs. automatic washes...that take a few minutes through and out.

Customers that pay for their cars to be washed are customers that usually don't hesitate to buy a hot dog because it will be a quarter less expensive 3 miles away or they can make them at home and save crowd. All of the carts and trucks by car washes do very well here.

jcheese
Re:At the Car Wash... - Sun, 08/26/12 1:39 PM
Ok, here's the scoop...
First off, it started raining on my way there, not a good sign. Got there and set up 6 feet away from the curb on a corner with traffic light. On the main drag in this area, had a lot of cars waiting at the red light. (Got to work on my aroma therapy)
Rained lightly for first hour or two. Very little Car Wash business....BUT....had quite a few cars pull in for a dog. Real easy pull in and out, almost like a drive-thru. My vehical kinda blocked the view of my cart, but can fix that.
All in all I made about what I consider the minimum worth getting out of bed for.
But....again....the potential looks awesome! The CW owner was more excited about this than I was, I think. He's gonna put me in his radio and TV ad's (no cost to me). Gonna promo both biz's back and forth.
Bonus #1...a restroom, approved water source and water dump.
Bonus #2...across the street from a bakery, for fresh buns and maybe a mile from a wholesaler. Lotsa small businesses nearby including a bank next door and the PO across the street. No fast food within a 1/2 mile or so.
Bonus # 3 Tho I used my umbrella, when it gets cold there's a spot where I can set up my ez-up right next to the building to block the weather. And there is an electrcal outlet right there! (Think lights, microwave, coffee pot, radio, refridgeration, hot plate, etc.)
I got more, but I'll let yall absorb this.

RCDoggin
  • Total Posts : 24
Re:At the Car Wash... - Sun, 08/26/12 3:17 PM
Wow!  Way bitchin'!

jcheese
Re:At the Car Wash... - Sun, 08/26/12 5:15 PM
Tho my profile says Fieldale, Martinsville, VA is the area I'm in. NASCAR fans should know what it's famous for. Others may know it has the highest unemployment rate in the state. But people have shiny cars! This guy does detailing and does it good. On Race Weekends he even does the RaceCars......
OK, back to bonus'.....
#4....Excellent spot for loyalty cards since people come back, like, weekly to shine their ride.
#5....They open at 9 AM and he mentioned a lot come in then. So, maybe coffee, cocoa, and pastries may work while I'm setting up.(Especially in cold weather) seeing as I'll have ELECTRICITY. Also, I've been working on a Breakfast Dog, maybe it would fly here. Or at least try it and get opinions.
But, really, the CW customers, I don't think, will be my main customers. It's the heavy traffic area that is gonna work for me. I've researched this town for the last year and every place I thought was good had some drawback or obstacle.

My business plan all along was to start slow doing small events and perfecting my menu and procedures before getting a regular street corner gig. I've managed to build up my Brand and taylor-make my menu to what folks around here want. A cool thing is a few of the people that stopped by knew me from other gigs and were thrilled to see me. Even some word of mouth people showed up(Heard yer Chili is the best in town....and they were right).
Although I've commited myself to only Fridays for now, I can easily add more days. If I can build up business for the CW on slow days......WE BOTH WIN!!

CCinNJ
Re:At the Car Wash... - Sun, 08/26/12 5:30 PM
Bologna Burgers...Eliott Sadler & The Burton's Martinsville!

BpCBlake
  • Total Posts : 436
Re:At the Car Wash... - Sun, 08/26/12 6:09 PM
hot dogs are really just little personal bolognas.

jcheese
Re:At the Car Wash... - Sun, 08/26/12 6:15 PM
CCinNJ

Bologna Burgers...Eliott Sadler & The Burton's Martinsville!

Actually the next thing I was gonna try was Grilled Bologna! I know how I would like them, just gotta get the local concensus.
Me, I would do an onion bun, smeared with Baconaise, dotted with mustard. Lay pickle slices on, a full sized tomato slice, a slice of Swiss, a little lettuce. But, that's me.
Realistically, gotta go from -40 to cooked. Thinking dropping in a brew to warm up quick, then throwing on grill.
May be this weeks "experiment".
My Thurs. gig is a market that sells fresh tomatoes. Grab some.
My Friday CW gig has a couple of kids working, and I decided to feed them free.BUT, they gotta be my guinea pigs. Life just gets better.

CCinNJ
Re:At the Car Wash... - Sun, 08/26/12 6:56 PM
I think it's a great idea! (I'm a girl from NJ...but I know my NASCAR...going back to #43 STP). Every time there's a race in Martinsville...the bologna burgers are all over SPEED channel.

jcheese
Re:At the Car Wash... - Sun, 08/26/12 7:31 PM
CC is a girl??!!
I always try to picture my RoadFood friends.Not that it matters, but it does give good insight. Maybe hearing from Big Ol' Bubba or a woman trying to stay slim can affect in my mind.
Should I not try to get fancy on the boloney burger?

CCinNJ
Re:At the Car Wash... - Sun, 08/26/12 7:38 PM
CC is a good-lookin girl...and the first one to tell ya that!

I'm in the archives...somewhere taking on the notion that 40 is old. Not for me...honey.

We here in NJ are partial to Pork Roll which is like a spicy version of bologna. Some compare it to Spam...but I never had Spam so that's a debate I can't have.

It sells Breakfast Lunch Dinner late-night whenever!

We usually don't have it fancy.

jcheese
Re:At the Car Wash... - Sun, 08/26/12 7:58 PM
OMG!...since we don't have Avatars, we may have other ideas. I guess it is good so we don't pre-judge.
So, should Baloney be simple, or kicked up a notch?

CCinNJ
Re:At the Car Wash... - Sun, 08/26/12 8:07 PM
I say simple & classic. It's a beloved favorite. If anyone wants to go foo foo...you'll find out soon enough by request. I've never seen anyone go foo too with Pork Roll...and we have some foo foo folks around here. They wouldn't be caught dead eating it...in the first place.

If you carry toppings anyway...people might want to try with something you carry.

CCinNJ
Re:At the Car Wash... - Sun, 08/26/12 8:16 PM
Ohhh...here's a nice article if you feel a little frisky about the bologna...

http://huggingthecoast.co...bologna-burger-recipe/

jcheese
Re:At the Car Wash... - Sun, 08/26/12 8:34 PM
Thanks for the link....CC

CCinNJ
Re:At the Car Wash... - Sun, 08/26/12 8:40 PM
You're welcome! Good Luck!

The other consideration is if there's anything in terms of little notions associated with things folks buy while at a car wash that the owner doesn't bother (can't be bothered) carrying...that all adds up for the vendors in this area.

RodBangkok
  • Total Posts : 385
Re:At the Car Wash... - Sun, 08/26/12 9:46 PM
Maybe a rack of those little green xmas trees I remember hanging from rear view mirrors, or does this belong in the things forgotten thread ? :)
<message edited by RodBangkok on Sun, 08/26/12 9:55 PM>

CCinNJ
Re:At the Car Wash... - Sun, 08/26/12 10:02 PM
That's a blast from the past. I haven't seen one of those since they matched avocado green station wagons.

chefbuba
  • Total Posts : 1951
Re:At the Car Wash... - Sun, 08/26/12 11:03 PM
CCinNJ

CC is a good-lookin girl...and the first one to tell ya that!

I'm in the archives...somewhere taking on the notion that 40 is old. Not for me...honey.

We here in NJ are partial to Pork Roll which is like a spicy version of bologna. Some compare it to Spam...but I never had Spam so that's a debate I can't have.

CCinNJ
Re:At the Car Wash... - Sun, 08/26/12 11:13 PM
Even with a new baby...not a day old!!

Foodbme
Re:At the Car Wash... - Mon, 08/27/12 2:21 AM
CCinNJ

Comparing Pork Roll to Spam is a disservice to Pork Roll.
Pork Roll is probably closer to Lebanon Bologna.
I commuted to NYC from NJ and would often pick up an Egg & Pork Roll on one of those great NY Rolls while walking from the Port Authority to the office @ 52nd & Broadway.
Who made those rolls? You could find them all over the city.
<message edited by Foodbme on Mon, 08/27/12 2:23 AM>

CCinNJ
Re:At the Car Wash... - Mon, 08/27/12 7:19 AM
It's a little different than in South Jersey (Philadelphia) where you hear the same names all the time. The rolls in NYC can come from anywhere... Manhattan Brooklyn Newark Long Island North Bergen etc. Bread is big big business in this area and the best is often served by small business that have been around for a long time...without making it to the radar outside an area or even a neighborhood. Try to find information on Prezioso Bakery. Unless you know...you don't find out easily unless there's a story written.

Even a tiny city like <<<Hoboken>>> has plenty of suppliers. Excellent suppliers.

Many that want to focus on wholesale learn to make other breads outside their own culture because there are so many popular varieties here and variations within the varieties.