"HURRY" the end is near

pnwchef
  • Total Posts : 2251
  • Reward points : 0
"HURRY" the end is near - Sun, 09/2/12 11:47 AM
The Star of the show on this sandwich is the tomato, I can't say this on most months of the year. I woke up this morning, Sept 2nd, there was a chill in the early morning air. I walked in the garden with my French roast coffee steaming from my cup. I looked down at the tomatoes and thought " Holy Crap" the season is almost over, I need to hurry and take advantage of these juicy red tomatoes. In a few months from now, this sandwich will  be a fond memory, a day when the tomato was the star of the show. Winter will come, tomatoes will be bought, we will slice into these store bought greenhouse tomatoes and dream back a few months when the garden tomato was in season. I think of how I would love a juicy Beefsteak tomato on my BLT, I can only wish, it's not going to happen. It would have been better to have the memory of this tomato, than to buy a tomato that was grown and harvested with no taste. Life is full of beginnings and ends, but real happiness is found some place in the middle. The tomato is a perfect example of how I waste my life. In the beginning of the year I can't wait for the first tomato, soon after that I have so many, they are wasted, some spoil and rot on the vine, I act like they will last forever. At the end I have to hurry, make up for lost time, eat as many as I can before it's to late. I think i do this with all the living things around my house, I better take a closer look before it's to late..............Give your tomato a hug today, who ever he or she may be.................This is a BLT that I had at breakfast, sitting next to the tomatoes I love.

While eating this sandwich, I thought I had a tear on my cheek, but it was only Mayonnaise.

lleechef
  • Total Posts : 6259
Re:"HURRY" the end is near - Sun, 09/2/12 12:20 PM
I agree 100%.  I too had a BLT the other night.  I could have thrown away the bacon and the lettuce and just eaten the tomato.  They have been so good in Ohio this year.  I don't remember the last time I made a lettuce salad, we've been eating tomato-basil salads, sometimes with fresh mozzarella.  I too will hate to see these beauties disappear.  Perhaps that really was a tear and not the mayo!

stricken_detective
  • Total Posts : 2330
Re:"HURRY" the end is near - Sun, 09/2/12 12:20 PM

chewingthefat
  • Total Posts : 6103
Re:"HURRY" the end is near - Sun, 09/2/12 1:01 PM
Damn that looks as good as it gets Bill!

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17852
Re:"HURRY" the end is near - Sun, 09/2/12 1:18 PM
lleechef

I agree 100%.  I too had a BLT the other night.  I could have thrown away the bacon and the lettuce and just eaten the tomato.  They have been so good in Ohio this year.  I don't remember the last time I made a lettuce salad, we've been eating tomato-basil salads, sometimes with fresh mozzarella.  I too will hate to see these beauties disappear.  Perhaps that really was a tear and not the mayo!

Oh, sure. Throw out the bacon. I cooked the bacon. Throw out the toast, too, why don't you. I made that, too. Have a BLT on toast without the bacon and the toast. Go ahead.

pnwchef
  • Total Posts : 2251
Re:"HURRY" the end is near - Sun, 09/2/12 1:47 PM
lleechef I agree, the tomato was the best part of this sandwich. lleechef, thanks from all of us, it looks like your training is paying off, Michael found the recipe for making toast.   

Michael Hoffman
Re:"HURRY" the end is near - Sun, 09/2/12 1:51 PM
Score one for the refugee from Connecticut!

lleechef
Re:"HURRY" the end is near - Sun, 09/2/12 4:13 PM
The recipe for making toast.........oh, I had to print that out for him.  He kept getting it wrong.

Michael Hoffman
Re:"HURRY" the end is near - Sun, 09/2/12 4:30 PM
Now, cut that out!

lleechef
Re:"HURRY" the end is near - Sun, 09/2/12 4:33 PM
I tried cutting out the recipe but he lost it. 

Michael Hoffman
Re:"HURRY" the end is near - Sun, 09/2/12 4:52 PM
Dadgum it!

agnesrob
  • Total Posts : 1790
Re:"HURRY" the end is near - Wed, 09/5/12 8:45 AM
Great pictures! I had a BLT for breakfast this morning. So good!

Mosca
  • Total Posts : 2936
Re:"HURRY" the end is near - Wed, 09/5/12 10:29 AM
On Sunday last, I sat down with a bowl full of assorted tomato varieties and a shaker of salt. I cut each tomato into slices, lightly salted them, and enjoyed the different flavors from the different varieties. Some are tart, some are sweet, some taste "warm", that is the only way I can describe it. All were delicious. I probably ate half a dozen tomatoes.

carlton pierre
  • Total Posts : 2500
Re:"HURRY" the end is near - Wed, 09/5/12 12:04 PM
Man, some awesome pics for sure.  I'm not a tomato fan but those looked so darn good!

baileysoriginal
  • Total Posts : 758
Re:"HURRY" the end is near - Wed, 09/5/12 10:30 PM
My very good neighbor next door has supplied us with tomatoes for many years and I have to say that this year's were the absolute best - even though we had extreme temps and very little rain he raised the best tasting and blemish free tomatoes ever.

Last weekend he broke the news that it was about over - the tomatoes were a bit smaller and were on the downhill slide - he's ready to pull the plants and plant a big mixed green patch.  I'm going to miss eating fresh tomatoes every day but after this brutal summer I'm ready for cooler temps, college football, pots of greens and everything else pertaining to autumn.