Kentucky Hams.........Where's The Best.........

Double Cheeseburger
2012/09/02 18:03:51
Thanks.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Kentucky Hams.........Where's The Best......... 2012/09/02 18:16:25
Littleman

Thanks.
??????????????
Paul E. smith
Knoxville, TN

Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Kentucky Hams.........Where's The Best......... 2012/09/02 18:21:45
In Kentucky!
Littleman
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Kentucky Hams.........Where's The Best......... 2012/09/02 18:28:16
Where's the best country hams for sale in Kentucky.  What's the name of the joint.  I know about Broadbent's.  Any others.
Birdhunter
Hamburger
Re:Kentucky Hams.........Where's The Best......... 2012/09/02 20:00:33
I live in Wisconsin and winter in Florida.
Here's where I stop, Newsom's Old Mill Store in Princeton.
website,  www.newsomscountryham.com
The boneless country hams are salt cured, and pricely but can't go by that place.
George

Louis
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Kentucky Hams.........Where's The Best......... 2012/09/02 21:20:21
Trigg county in Kentucky has had a long tradition of always having the best country hams in the state.

Duncan Hines had his own country ham business as a hobby which he ran out of his home in Bowling Green, Kentucky, and Trigg county is where he bought his hams from in the 30s and 40s and early 50s.  He knew several of the farmers in that area who would supply him with country hams when his own supply would unexpectedly run out.  (His were as good as theirs.)

Trigg county, Kentucky, even has a country ham festival each year.  Of course, what is considered the "best" in Kentucky is a subjective judgment, because of the individual way each ham is prepared; the quality can vary because of a whole host of factors including the amount of attention to the product as well as the weather.

My suggestion is that you Google the words "Trigg county" and "Kentucky" and "country ham" and see what you turn up.

As for myself, I usually buy from Meacham Country Hams in Union county, but that's because it's close by (less than 30 minutes) and it's a good approximation of what I will find 100 miles south of me toward the Kentucky-Tennessee border, where Trigg county is located.

post edited by Louis - 2012/09/02 21:21:30
rumaki
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Kentucky Hams.........Where's The Best......... 2012/09/03 13:31:52
I second Meacham. I have their ham at Beaumont Inn in Harrodsburg, where the innkeepers have a separate shed where they further age the hams before serving them.

http://www.beaumontinn.com/kentucky_ham.htm

scrumptiouschef
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Kentucky Hams.........Where's The Best......... 2012/09/03 13:43:29
a little more info right this way http://travel.nytimes.com...3talk-pork-t.html?_r=0
Louis
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Kentucky Hams.........Where's The Best......... 2012/09/03 17:07:47
Thanks, scrumptiouschef, for that New York Times article.  I'll have to check out Blackberry Farm.

And thanks, rumaki, for that little tidbit about the Beaumont Inn.  I've eaten at the Beaumont Inn several times, but I did not know that their supplier was only 30 minutes from my front door.

When I published the Duncan Hines biography a decade ago, the Beaumont Inn had a prominent place in the book.  It was Hines' favorite Kentucky restaurant because of their country ham and "yellow-legged" fried chicken.  The Dedman family ran the inn in the 1920s and 1930s and they still run it today.

For what it's worth, Duncan Hines needs to be considered America's first roadfooder.  What Jane and Michael Stern have been doing since the 1970s, he was doing in the first half of the 20th century, except I think he had far more impact than they (and you have to read the book to understand why).

As a matter of fact, it was through an off-hand comment the 1992 edition of Roadfood that I first learned about Duncan Hines and his role in America's culinary heritage (It was in the text concerning the MacDonald Tea Room in Missouri, which is no longer around, but has a great story to tell).

Oh, one thing after looking at that country ham in the video accompanying the link you sent on the Beaumont Inn: in my opinion, the thinner the slice of the country ham, the more you appreciate it as it dissolves on the tongue.  It's best served when it's razor thin and room temperature.

post edited by Louis - 2012/09/03 17:09:44