UV WATER TREATMENT

BBQCanuk
  • Total Posts : 23
  • Reward points : 0
UV WATER TREATMENT - Thu, 09/6/12 9:12 AM
Has anyone had to install a NSF UV Water Treatment system?  Just had my pre-opening inspection and it was noticed that my water test showed positive for coliforms (not e-coli).  Now I have to get a NSF approved system which looks like I will be paying $1500.00 and up.  One thing after another trying to open up but I certainly understand the safety of our water.  Any recommendations on a good system?

Dr of BBQ
  • Total Posts : 3716
Re:UV WATER TREATMENT - Thu, 09/6/12 9:31 AM
I don't know anything about a UV water system but where did your water come from? Was it a private well? Can you just get your water somewhere else? Is it your tank? Share some more information with us please.

BBQCanuk
  • Total Posts : 23
Re:UV WATER TREATMENT - Sat, 09/8/12 8:59 AM
Hello Dr
One of the downsides of living where I am is that there is no municipal water system (I do not live in town).  I get my water from a natural spring (with several other homes).  There is no problems with a deep well, but when you run into shallow systems there is potential for harmful bacteria and parasites (gardia etc.).  The water comes into the takeout from a pipe from up the mountain.  The area where the water collects is in a natural rock enclosure which has been in use for over 100 years.  Even if I had a well drilled I would still have to have the UV filter on as it seems that this is going to be the requirements for all water not on a municipal water system.  The bacteria that can live in the water cannot be killed through filtering or chlorine.  When I purchased the takeout there were no water issues.  The HD is treating my takeout as a new build so I fall under all the new regulations in Nova Scotia.  I sure wish I knew this months ago as now I have missed the tourist season here. 

Dr of BBQ
  • Total Posts : 3716
Re:UV WATER TREATMENT - Sat, 09/8/12 9:16 AM
Wow sorry to hear you missed your season.

HDs can be a pain especially when a new owner takes over an existing business that was grandfathered in for years. And too late for you but a buyer of any food truck, trailer, or BM operation, should always do a walk through with the HD before they sign anything.

My only advice is go to your HD and ask them for specific requirements and then get online and start searching for a system that meets the specs. And once I found one before I bought anything I'd go back to the HD and show them pictures, specs, all the information, and be sure your good to go before you spend the money. And then get a good estimate on how much it's going to cost to install the system.

It sucks I know but the more you try and work with the HD on this issue the easier they will be on any other issues.

Good luck
jack