Low Carb Pizza...Hated It

howard8
  • Total Posts : 355
  • Reward points : 0
Low Carb Pizza...Hated It - Wed, 03/3/04 8:39 AM
Last nite my girlfriend brought home a low carb pizza. It came equipped with a fact sheet comparing calories, carbs etc. to regular pizza. I don't have the fact sheet with me today in my office or I would comment on the comparison.
The pizza was a large with peppers and sausage.
It was covered with mozzarella and the crust was very thin. (I love thin crusted pizza)
I'm thinking the cheese must have been a low fat variety since there was no visible oil on the pie and also no taste.
The pizza looked good.
It tasted like you may remember if you ever tried eating cardboard.
No taste whatsoever.
I mean frozen pizza would have been tastier.
The cost was $18.
Anyone out there tried low carb pizza?
Anyone like it?

TJ Jackson
  • Total Posts : 4481
RE: Low Carb Pizza...Hated It - Wed, 03/3/04 8:55 AM
Mind naming the pizza joint this particular pie came from?

As an aside, the one that makes me laugh the most is the Donatos' no crust pizza. I mean, that's fine and dandy if people want to eat sauce, cheese, and toppings with no crust, the laughable part is that Donatos still wants to call it a pizza. It is no longer a pizza when there is no crust, imho.

howard8
  • Total Posts : 355
RE: Low Carb Pizza...Hated It - Thu, 03/4/04 9:19 AM
TJ:
The pizza came from a place in Lafayette, NJ named Mama's. To be even handed, they do make a pretty good regular pizza as well as tasty Italian dinners. As far as this low carb pizza goes, I would have preferred pizza in a cup or bucket as long as it had some pizza taste.

4fish
  • Total Posts : 214
RE: Low Carb Pizza...Hated It - Thu, 03/4/04 9:10 PM
I tried a low-carb pizza from the Papa Murphy's take-and-bake shop last week and thought it was decent. I didn't see any fact sheets telling me exactly how many carbs I was getting, though. Probably would have better for me if I hadn't eaten the whole thing, too!

Pwingsx
  • Total Posts : 2170
RE: Low Carb Pizza...Hated It - Fri, 03/5/04 5:54 PM
I LOVE the idea of pizza without a crust. I never eat the outside of my crust, my family calls it pizza bones. I could do without the crust on the bottom too. I also prefer hamburger without the bun and sandwich insides without bread. They're nothing more than a vehicle to pile all the good stuff on.

So, all you bread and pasta lovers out there -- some of us are actually happy!

2005Equinox
  • Total Posts : 219
RE: Low Carb Pizza...Hated It - Sun, 03/28/04 3:54 AM
Papa Murphys low carb pizza is good. I like a thin crust so that is a good thing.The all meat is especially good.

Kodachrome
  • Total Posts : 37
RE: Low Carb Pizza...Hated It - Tue, 03/30/04 6:32 PM
http://www.donatos.com/NoDoughInfo.htm

Had this last night...I love donatos...love this too.

tnts
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Low Carb Pizza...Hated It - Fri, 04/2/04 8:38 PM
I don't know if everybody has these, but Godfather's low carb pizza is awesome. It has very thin crust as well but it is very tasty. The three varities that I looked at (cheese, pepperoni and all meat) have between 7-8 carbs per slice compared to around 31 carbs in a slice of regular pepperoni pizza. Give it a try!

janisko
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Low Carb Pizza...Hated It - Thu, 06/3/04 9:19 PM
Don't kid yourself about the NO crust pizzas. I had one and was absolutely amazed. We were in Chicago at Lou Malnati's, which I consider to be the best the city has to offer. My plan was to eat the toppings and skip the crust <painful thought> but they offered a no crust pizza. They make authentic Italian deep-dish with the meat normally on top of the cheese. Trust me here... It's better than anything in the city known for it's pizza! The crustless had the meat on the bottom. It was just as tasty as their regular and was crusty on the bottom. The best part... At a restaurant that isn't exactly inexpensive the individual crustless was only $5.00! I couldn't believe the taste or the price.

mountain traveler
  • Total Posts : 130
RE: Low Carb Pizza...Hated It - Fri, 06/4/04 12:09 AM
One of the first pizza places in my area to make a low-carb pizza was Altieri's in Stow, Ohio. The owner told me he was a type II diabetic
and loved pizza so much he couldn't give it up. So he came up with the idea of a no dough pizza.(Long before Donatos did or any of the major chains.)I have not tried it yet. I just got used to the veggie pizzas with whole wheat crust. If his no dough is as good as the veggie, I can do w/o the crust.

Route 11
  • Total Posts : 752
RE: Low Carb Pizza...Hated It - Fri, 06/4/04 9:16 AM
Low-carb pizza =

Kristi S.
  • Total Posts : 712
RE: Low Carb Pizza...Hated It - Fri, 06/4/04 9:49 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Route 11

Low-carb pizza =

To go with your low-carb Coke.

precop1a
RE: Low Carb Pizza...Hated It - Fri, 06/4/04 10:30 PM
There's a place the next town over in Highland, IL called DiMaggios. The make a no crust low carb pizza that is great! (their regular pizza is nothing to sneeze at either.) They do a buffet on Saturday and Wednesday night, and usually have no crust on it. It has spinach and all kinds of meat and TONS of cheese. I swear this thing weighs as much as a crusted pizza. If you're ever in the area, I highly recommend checking it out. <drooling on self>

Route 11
  • Total Posts : 752
RE: Low Carb Pizza...Hated It - Sat, 06/5/04 11:19 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Kristi S.

quote:
Originally posted by Route 11

Low-carb pizza =

To go with your low-carb Coke.

Soon I'll disappear when I turn sideways...just kidding!

I'm not a backer of low-carb junk food. What's the point?

Jennifer_4
  • Total Posts : 1508
RE: Low Carb Pizza...Hated It - Sat, 06/5/04 1:14 PM
Thanks guys... I wasn't craving real pizza til now...

janisko
RE: Low Carb Pizza...Hated It - Sat, 06/5/04 3:17 PM
quote:
Originally posted by precop1a
I swear this thing weighs as much as a crusted pizza. If you're ever in the area, I highly recommend checking it out. <drooling on self>

That's how it is at Lou Malnati's. We couldn't believe the quality. I got a recipe for one that I'm making tonight but something tells me that without the pizza oven it won't even be close. Guess we'll have to haul ourselves the hour and a quarter down to Chicago and get the real deal!

janisko
RE: Low Carb Pizza...Hated It - Sat, 06/5/04 3:19 PM
quote:
I'm not a backer of low-carb junk food. What's the point?

It's low carb but NOT junk food. It's just made without a crust so that low-carbers can still eat pizza.