Garlic

Hamburger
2012/09/12 17:46:16
Take 10 heads of Garlic. Remove skin and tough end. Place in a 10 X 13 Pyrex container. Pour 12 to 14 oz plain extra virgin olive oil over cloves. Add heavy pinch salt and a tablespoon raw sugar. Place into a pre-heated oven at 325 for 1 hour until turning light/medium brown. Set aside to cool. When room temp mash a little with a large fork.  Serve it on just about anything. Saute some cooked pasta into a couple tablespoons or more. Fish out cloves and spread on good bread with a little salt. Spread it on a cooked steak off the grill. Great on a burger. Bagels. 
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:Garlic 2012/09/12 23:08:27
As Guy Fieri would say, "I'd eat that on a flip flop".
Tampico
Hamburger
Re:Garlic 2012/09/13 21:45:56
This is one of the best things you will ever eat. It will store longer than it will last in your refrigerator in a jar. Use the infused oil to saute mushrooms. Last night I cooked some pasta. Browned off some sweet ground sausage. Then took 3 tablespoons of the oil and sauteed a mushroom medley. added the cooked pork, then the cooked pasta with a little crushed red pepper flakes, then added what would be equal to 15 cloves of the cooked garlic that I fished out of the oil. Sauteed it a little longer to fry the pasta a little added salt and served three people. Better than sex. Someone try it and get back to me. 
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Garlic 2012/09/13 22:00:28
I make it without the sugar and just a drizzling of olive oil.

Great mixed in to a lot of different things (love in mashed potatoes) or just spread on a cracker.

I do just one or two heads of garlic at a time.

I love the roasted cloves of garlic as a hamburger topping.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Garlic 2012/09/14 05:03:46
I just take a single head of garlic, douse it in olive oil, wrap it in foil and roast it. Easy. No cleanup. Delicious spread on bread or mashed into potatoes.

EDIT: I forgot. I slice off a little of the top of the head to allow the olive oil to get directly into the cloves before wrapping and roasting.
post edited by Michael Hoffman - 2012/09/14 13:56:22
carlton pierre
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Garlic 2012/09/14 08:27:27
2 things.  I just bought a jar of garlic paste yesterday at Jungle Jim's.  I'm anxious to try it.
I've found some stores now that sell cartons of peeled garlic cloves.  saves me a ton of work  and I just take them and bake them in the oven for an hour or so and have my own roasted garlic paste.
kland01s
Filet Mignon
Re:Garlic 2012/09/14 09:19:30
We do like Michael does with garlic, great on crusty bread!  We also buy frozen garlic from Trader Joe's, one little cube equals a clove. Great to drop a few cubes into a soup or rice and let them melt in.
Tampico
Hamburger
Re:Garlic 2012/09/14 12:00:27
Michael Hoffman

I just take a single head of garlic, douse it in olive oil, wrap it in foil and roast it. Easy. No cleanup. Delicious spread on bread or mashed into potatoes.

I have used this method as well many times and it creates a great sweet garlic taste. Just squeeze it out of the husk.  This method is a lot different. Plus you get a great garlic infused oil. And your house will smell great for a couple days. The raw sugar will be undetectable but is better when used. Try it you will thank me.
jcheese
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Garlic 2012/09/14 16:28:05
Mix roasted garlic and cream cheese in your mashed spuds.
joerogo
Filet Mignon
Re:Garlic 2012/09/14 17:58:06
carlton pierre

2 things.  I just bought a jar of garlic paste yesterday at Jungle Jim's.  I'm anxious to try it.
I've found some stores now that sell cartons of peeled garlic cloves.  saves me a ton of work  and I just take them and bake them in the oven for an hour or so and have my own roasted garlic paste.

FYI, Most of the peeled garlic is from China.  
totillie
Hamburger
Re:Garlic 2012/09/15 01:46:01
As is most of the frozen stuff that you find in the groceries.

The original *big* Gilroy, Ca garlic grower, Christopher Farms, has jarred pressed garlic, as well as peeled and jarred cloves in grocery stores - a large part of their crop is now grown in Arizona and Mexico.

The Trader Joe's jarred pressed garlic is also pretty much from Mexico.

There is nothing wrong with that,  for both enterprises, just stuff to know.

But the original recipe up there sounds amazing. !
carlton pierre
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Garlic 2012/09/17 08:18:41
joerogo

carlton pierre

FYI, Most of the peeled garlic is from China.  

Thanks, I was unaware of that as a possibility.  I buy from a  local store/chain ( FResh Market based in Asheville NC) that tends to support "local" farmers.  I'll check on that.