Green Lantern Restaurants/Coffee Shops!

Hepcat
  • Total Posts : 374
  • Reward points : 0
Green Lantern Restaurants/Coffee Shops! - Fri, 09/28/12 3:06 PM
The Green Lantern is a popular name for coffee shops and good old fashioned restaurants in many places.

The Green Lantern Restaurant in London, Ontario on the southeast corner of Hamilton Road and Adelaide Street might have first caught my eye from the Hamilton Road bus in 1961-62 on one of my very occasional visits to the doctor. Being a fan of Green Lantern from the comics, the sign attracted me. The restaurant evidently dated back to the 1920's in that location.

I would eventually find that it was just a good old-fashioned diner serving traditional comfort food. Around 1990 its original location was redeveloped into a strip mall but the restaurant reopened in that same strip mall. While it lost some of its charm, it still retained proper low counter and booth seating. Several fabulous pictures of the location circa 1920 featuring young boys also made their appearance on the wall when it reopened.

Two or so years ago though, it was forced from its lease on Hamilton Road at Adelaide and had to relocate to Commissioners Road at Adelaide. I'm afraid it may have thus lost even more of its charm since the new location was previously a bar. For one thing, I don't believe it features proper low counter with stool seating at the new location. It still gets very good reviews on Urbanspoon and TripAdvisor though. I'll have to try it again on my next visit to London.

Can anyone else tell us about their local Green Lanterns?

<message edited by Hepcat on Sat, 09/29/12 9:31 AM>

ScreamingChicken
  • Total Posts : 4737
Re:Green Lantern Restaurants/Coffee Shops! - Fri, 09/28/12 3:15 PM
There's a Green Lantern in McFarland, Wisconsin.

carolina bob
  • Total Posts : 3420
Re:Green Lantern Restaurants/Coffee Shops! - Fri, 09/28/12 3:40 PM
If I remember correctly, the planet Oa is the homebase for over three thousand Green Lanterns.

kevincad
  • Total Posts : 399
Re:Green Lantern Restaurants/Coffee Shops! - Fri, 09/28/12 4:23 PM
carolina bob

If I remember correctly, the planet Oa is the homebase for over three thousand Green Lanterns.

Yes, and they had power rings!

Hepcat
Re:Green Lantern Restaurants/Coffee Shops! - Fri, 09/28/12 4:48 PM
carolina bob

That's why it's a good name. Talk about an instant customer base for a coffee shop! 

This was the first Green Lantern comic I ever read:

And this was the first one I ever bought:

The ones I've scanned here are not the same copies of course.

The Green Lantern Restaurant in London has particularly good rice pudding with raisins. Other than that, it just serves good basic food at reasonable prices in an unpretentious atmosphere. It's just always felt so right to me.

<message edited by Hepcat on Fri, 09/28/12 4:50 PM>

Hepcat
Re:Green Lantern Restaurants/Coffee Shops! - Fri, 09/28/12 6:14 PM
ScreamingChicken

There's a Green Lantern in McFarland, Wisconsin.

The one in McFarland looks well worth visiting for its fried chicken and walleye alone! It is considerably more upscale than the one in London which is a more basic sausage-eggs-homefries breakfast, BLT sandwich, banquet burger, clubhouse sandwich, hot turkey sandwich and meat loaf kind of place.

BuddyRoadhouse
  • Total Posts : 4086
Re:Green Lantern Restaurants/Coffee Shops! - Fri, 09/28/12 10:33 PM
There's a Green lantern Tavern in the Detroit suburbs.  They were once voted to have the best pizza in the Detroit metro area.  I ate there once.  All I can say is, if they were voted "Best", it's a group damnation of Detroit area pizza.

Buddy

Hepcat
Re:Green Lantern Restaurants/Coffee Shops! - Sun, 09/30/12 5:51 PM
The atmosphere of a good Green Lantern Coffee Shop should be somewhat like that suggested by this cover featuring the original Green Lantern from the forties:

The two covers I posted previously hint at an atmosphere that's too futuristic and not old time enough for a proper Green Lantern Coffee Shop.