Moonshine Store gathering in November

Double Cheeseburger
2012/10/02 09:37:20
Carolina Bob (and maybe) Screaming Chicken and I will be heading to the Moonshine Store in Illinois (near Vincennes, Indiana) on the morning of the first Saturday of November.  If anyone wants to join us, chime in.

Here is our destination:

http://themoonshinestore.com/

post edited by Louis - 2012/10/02 09:40:56
ScreamingChicken
Filet Mignon
Re:Moonshine Store gathering in November 2012/10/02 09:42:41
Still a maybe for the Chicken at this time but it's penciled on the calendar.

If I/we are able to go it'll probably be a Friday/Saturday overnight trip with a couple of other destinations.  Krekel's is a 7-location in Decatur and Springfield, and a friend of mine in Charleston, IL says the Downtown Diner in Mattoon serves a good breakfast...
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Moonshine Store gathering in November 2012/10/02 09:55:17
Although it is extremely unlikely, it isn't impossible we will join you.  If we do, it will be a last minute decision,based on what is going on at work.  Worst case scenario, I get to see your fine report and photos.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Moonshine Store gathering in November 2012/10/30 02:14:53
I will be unable to make it, but this thread needs bumped. Looking forward to hearing about this place.
ScreamingChicken
Filet Mignon
Re:Moonshine Store gathering in November 2012/10/30 07:58:53
Still unsure here...with everybody having jobs that involve weekends it's possible I might not have a car.
Louis
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Moonshine Store gathering in November 2012/10/30 11:16:42
Bob and I made plans last night.  We will meet this coming Saturday morning in the Marriott motel parking lot in Vincennes between 10 and 10:30 (EST).  As soon as we drive west a mile and cross the river into Illinois, we will be in CST zone.  So it will only be in the 9 o'clock hour--which is plenty of time to drive there and have a long, leisurely meal before they close down at 12:30.  So if anyone wants to come, let me know.  Come what may, we intend to pig out and have a good time.

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Moonshine Store gathering in November 2012/10/30 11:20:19
Jealous!  Have a great time guys!
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Moonshine Store gathering in November 2012/10/30 14:17:07
Hey, just in case you guys aren't full after the Moonshine Store, the Roadfood approved Richard's Farm is not too far away!
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:Moonshine Store gathering in November 2012/10/30 18:44:59
I'd love to join you guys, but I'd never make it back up to Chicago in time for work.  If you ever go on a weekday when I'm not working, count me in!

Have fun!

Buddy
Louis
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Moonshine Store gathering in November 2012/10/30 19:20:31
In the last half of most any month with generally pleasant weather, I can go most anytime on a weekday.  It's only about a 90-minute drive north for me.

Thanks for the Richard's Farm site, Cliff!  That might be worth checking out.  I've driven through Casey on my way back from Wisconsin; I didn't know there was something there I should have checked out--but I do now!

post edited by Louis - 2012/10/30 19:26:57
carolina bob
Filet Mignon
Re:Moonshine Store gathering in November 2012/10/30 21:16:21
Cliff and Buddy, I'm sorry you won't be able to join us, but I hope, Brad, that you're able to... it"s always "the more the merrier" with a Roadfood gathering. And I'm glad to learn that Richard's Farm is nearby. I knew about the place from the Sterns' books, but I had no idea it was just a short drive from the Moonshine Store.  
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Moonshine Store gathering in November 2012/10/31 04:29:02
It sounds like you guys might be doing a double header!  It has been seven years my visit to Richard's Farm, but I remember them having a very impressive dessert menu, among other things.
ScreamingChicken
Filet Mignon
Re:Moonshine Store gathering in November 2012/11/01 10:35:34
Bob and Louis, unfortunately I'm not going to be able to attend.  Too many factors are conspiring against me.

Unrelated fun fact: Bob Louis was the sports director at Rockford's WTVO back in the '70s and '80s.
post edited by ScreamingChicken - 2012/11/01 10:37:03
Louis
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Moonshine Store gathering in November 2012/11/01 11:49:20
That's OK, Brad.  Next time you come down this way, let me know ahead of time, and I'll see if we can get together to hit these same spots--and maybe more.

post edited by Louis - 2012/11/04 08:31:28
Louis
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Moonshine Store gathering in November 2012/11/04 09:03:02
Well guys, Bob and I went to the Moonshine Store and Richard's Farm on Saturday.  We met in Vincennes, Indiana, drove about 35-40 miles northwest and arrived there about an hour later.  I might add to anyone going here: Unless you are familiar with the area, don't go without a GPS.  You'll never find it.

It's really nothing more than an old country store.  When you enter, you are met with a single room.  People are milling around, standing up as they wait for their food or just visiting with other people.  You walk to the back of the room where the stove is located and tell them what you want.  Then wait around standing up until they prepare it.  You take your meal up to the counter, show the lady what you bought, pay for it and sit down.

There are no tables inside.  You eat on one of the benches inside--or one of several picnic tables outside.  You get your bottle of soda pop from a cooler near the front door.  That's about all there is to the Moonshine Store experience.  It was about 40 degrees outside and the sky looked as if it were about to rain; so we opted to eat inside.

Now as to the food, Bob and I got a hamburger.  The burger was thicker than usual--about a half-inch or better.  It was initially juicy.  But I can't say it was all that tasty.  It wasn't bad, it was just pretty average in taste.  Bob agreed.

We both agreed that if anyone wants to come to the Moonshine Store, do so for experiencing the atmosphere.  There aren't too many of these sorts of eating establishments around any longer.  But don't expect to be bowled over with the food.  It's nothing more than what it really is: an old general store that cooks hamburgers (and a few other items) in the back.  But just remember: they shut the grill off at 12:30 sharp.  No exceptions.

Next we took Buffetbuster's suggestion and went to Richard's Farm.  We arrived there in about 15 minutes or less after leaving the Moonshine Store.

Bob had a chicken sandwich and some cole slaw.  I had a Hammy Whammy (something); it was razor-thin ham covered with melted cheese.  Even though a sandwich, I quickly found out it was better without the bread.  I enjoyed my side order of creamed spinach a lot more.

I then ate a slice of persimmon pudding; I don't know why they called it "pudding" because it was a piece of persimmon pie.  It was good; it tasted like spiced apples (or something close to that).

I then ate about half of their bread pudding.  Again, the pudding is a cake, this time covered with a lot of white whiskey sauce.  I would have eaten the whole thing, but the whiskey sauce was so mild that I wasn't encouraged to finish it.  Real bread pudding has so much whiskey sauce on it that your lips will glow for the next half-hour.

Overall, we both agreed that the food was OK but not worth a special stop.

Bob took some pictures, but you'll have to wait until he moves back to Chicago next spring or summer before you can look at them.

post edited by Louis - 2012/11/05 21:40:33
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:Moonshine Store gathering in November 2012/11/04 14:21:37
Sorry the trip was so underwhelming, but sometimes you "take one for the team".  Thanks to you and Bob for saving folks a trip to the Moonshine.

On a happier note, the Roadfood clan (Buddy, Daddy, and Mrs.) spent Friday at Starved Rock State Park in north central Illinois, finishing up the day at Ron's Cajun Connection.  Internet chatter reports Ron's to be some of the best Cajun food outside Louisiana.  I'd be reluctant to make that bold a statement, only because my exposure to Cajun and/or Creole food in Louisiana is fairly limited.  What we had was damn good though.

Everything (butterflied shrimp, chicken tenders, oysters on a Po' Boy) that was fried was light and crispy with no oily aftertaste.  The shrimp and crawfish etouffees were rich and deeply flavored.  Jamblaya was almost creamy in texture and quite tasty.  Even the blackened catfish was beautifully seasoned and not overly salty the way some blackening seasonings can be.  The oyster Po' Boy was good, although not as generously stuffed with oysters as the one we had at Johnny's in NOLA.

As average as the burgers at The Moonshine sound, I still wish I could've joined you guys on Saturday.

Buddy

Ron's Cajun Connection
897 E. US Hwy. 6
N. Utica, IL 61373
(815) 667-9855
www.ronscajunconnection.com
post edited by BuddyRoadhouse - 2012/11/04 14:24:05
ScreamingChicken
Filet Mignon
Re:Moonshine Store gathering in November 2012/11/05 09:18:18
Thanks for the report, Louis.  I'd still like to visit there someday (perhaps as part of my Ohio trip next year) and now I'm wondering if maybe the burgers' reputation is based at least partially on the other offerings of the region.

Buddy, I've had the misfortune of trying to eat at Cajun Connection on a couple of summer Sundays and the place was jam-packed so I moved along.  It's still on my list if I can ever schedule things so that I'm in the area at a different time, although it's really not so far as to rule out a special trip since it only takes me an hour to get past Rockford.
Louis
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Moonshine Store gathering in November 2012/11/05 10:47:00
As you say, Buddy, sometimes we have to take one for the team.  Hey, somebody has to do these things!  Roadfooding is like panning for gold; you might have to go through several recommendations before you really hit pay dirt.  It's all part of the adventure.

If anyone wants me to take them there, I will.  It's only a 100-minute drive for me.  The food wasn't terrible.  It was just average.  Maybe one of their other items will be better.  But go for the atmosphere; that's the Moonshine Store's biggest asset.

carolina bob
Filet Mignon
Re:Moonshine Store gathering in November 2012/11/05 12:55:24
BuddyRoadhouse

Sorry the trip was so underwhelming, but sometimes you "take one for the team".  Thanks to you and Bob for saving folks a trip to the Moonshine.

Actually, Buddy, I don't feel that Louis and I "took one for the team". Granted, the burger wasn't much different than what you'd get at a good family restaurant, but I did enjoy it. What makes the Moonshine Store worth a visit, though, is the setting and the atmosphere; it's like going back in time several decades. The place reminded me so much of the general store that my aunt and uncle used to own in eastern Kentucky, except that the only meal you could eat there was a made-to-order bologna sandwich. I certainly don't regret visiting the Moonshine and would still recommend it for the experience. BTW, Louis' directions were off a bit; we headed northwest from Vincennes to get to the store. If we had headed northeast, we probably would've ended up having lunch at a Burger King in Bloomington Indiana ( scary thought, huh? ) 
post edited by carolina bob - 2012/11/05 13:13:58
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Moonshine Store gathering in November 2012/11/05 13:19:52
I am so glad you two made it to Moonshine Store.  Although the food wasn't special, it sounds like the atmosphere alone will get me there someday.

As for Richard's Farm, I remember having the pork chops for lunch and being impressed by their variety of desserts, many of which were unusual.  Persimmon pudding would definitely fall into that category for me.

Thanks for the fine report guys!
Louis
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Moonshine Store gathering in November 2012/11/05 21:38:50
Oops!  Typo on my part.  Bob's right.  It's northwest!  (Correction made above.)

post edited by Louis - 2012/11/05 21:41:15
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:Moonshine Store gathering in November 2012/11/05 22:21:02
ChickenDude,
We got into Cajun Connection a little after 5:30, just before the rush started.  There were actually several tables open and we sat right down.  Within twenty minutes the line was starting to form.  By the time we left, the line was literally out the door.

It was only based on my remembering your disappointments that we were able to get in; planning to arrive before the crowds.  I guess you took one (maybe two) for the Roadhouse team.  Thanks!

Buddy
kland01s
Filet Mignon
Re:Moonshine Store gathering in November 2012/11/06 09:43:00
BuddyRoadhouse

ChickenDude,
We got into Cajun Connection a little after 5:30, just before the rush started.  There were actually several tables open and we sat right down.  Within twenty minutes the line was starting to form.  By the time we left, the line was literally out the door.

It was only based on my remembering your disappointments that we were able to get in; planning to arrive before the crowds.  I guess you took one (maybe two) for the Roadhouse team.  Thanks!

Buddy

We always try to get to Ron's right when he opens.