Chili has kidney beans, if not its not chili, period.

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Cheeseburger
Re:Chili has kidney beans, if not its not chili, period. 2012/10/08 14:08:40
eruby

senor boogie woogie
Yup. Chili has beans. No beans, it isn't chili. It is meat sauce. That is what makes chili, chili, the beans. I cant believe the people on here who eschew the one thing that makes chili, chili. No beans, why bother?

Chili has beans or it ain't chili. Period. You Texan meat sauce makers don't know ****. (that is with an S of course, you can figure the rest. Please meat sauce makers, don't pass your crap as chili, go execute another illegal alien and let the real cooks abide.
And a Martini can only have Gin. No Gin, it isn't a Martini.

Now I agree with that! My son in law likes vodka martinis, and when he asks me if I want a martini, I say, yeah, if I can have a REAL one!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Chili has kidney beans, if not its not chili, period. 2012/10/08 14:24:47
It was determined some time ago that a drink made with vodka and vermouth is a Stalini.
billyboy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Chili has kidney beans, if not its not chili, period. 2012/10/08 14:48:23
Vodka martinis were good enough for Sean Connery's James Bond and they're good enough for me!
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Chili has kidney beans, if not its not chili, period. 2012/10/08 15:12:56
Oh the Vodka. Pour it in a glass. Stir. Pour it out. Get another glass.
Russ Jackson
Re:Chili has kidney beans, if not its not chili, period. 2012/10/08 18:23:07
Davwud

TJ Jackson

Russ Jackson
There is plenty of room in hell as well. This reminds me of the roadfood commandments I once posted. And this clearly is stated in the 12th Commandment.
http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/My-13-Commandments-of-Food-Do-you-Agree-m352254.aspx

Nah. 

Most of those commandments are siimple intolerance of the views/tastes of others, which is in direct opposition with the overall mission of Roadfood.

Roadfood = praise for regional differences in foods

Your "rules" = mostly (I think most of us can agree with the "no double dipping" rule) intolerance for differences in foods, including (in this case) regional ones

I don't like some of these things either, but that doesn't mean I command others not to like them

Agreed.

I do not decide how YOU enjoy your food.

I expect the same consideration.

DT

Pleas remember the thread is MY 13 COMMANDMENTS...DO YOU AGREE? These are rules I live by. Even though all do not they should.LOL
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:Chili has kidney beans, if not its not chili, period. 2012/10/08 19:32:11
Love how this thread went from chili to martini's, lol! According to my parents, who were martini "experts", Mr. Hoffman is right. A Stalini was named after Stalin, who only drank vodka drinks. The original martini was made with gin.......plain and simple.And again, chili, in my neck of the woods, is made with kidney beans. But have enjoyed other versions , especially the Cinncinati way! Dieffernt from what I grew up with, but oh, so good!
cementhead
Cheeseburger
Re:Chili has kidney beans, if not its not chili, period. 2012/10/08 19:45:32
Senor Boogie Woogie sure does stir the pot and then dissappear. I love it! He probably makes the best pot of beanless chili you ever had.
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
Re:Chili has kidney beans, if not its not chili, period. 2012/10/08 19:48:09
@BillyBoy: James Bond is an imaginary person. A vodka martini is an imaginary martini.

:-)
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Chili has kidney beans, if not its not chili, period. 2012/10/08 19:49:11
I bet he's got the best...pot.
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
Re:Chili has kidney beans, if not its not chili, period. 2012/10/08 19:50:27
I put kidney beans in the stuff I call chili. It's not authentic. Pinto beans ON THE SIDE might be.

Michael, are you secretly Irish?
ces1948
Re:Chili has kidney beans, if not its not chili, period. 2012/10/08 20:13:59
Well I've eaten chili with pinto beans, black beans, red kidney beans and white kidney beans (not at the same time) it's all good.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
Re:Chili has kidney beans, if not its not chili, period. 2012/10/08 20:36:49
Russ Jackson
Pleas remember the thread is MY 13 COMMANDMENTS...DO YOU AGREE? These are rules I live by. Even though all do not they should.LOL

That's cool - but- one does not usually command one's self - one commands others.

Certainly the much more famous set of commandments.......you know, this set of 15

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YX-gqRdK_8

was intended to be obeyed by others

so it kinda comes off that way

use more smileys next time, eh? 

sorry dude
post edited by TJ Jackson - 2012/10/08 20:40:47
eruby
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Chili has kidney beans, if not its not chili, period. 2012/10/09 08:22:01
"I never have more than one drink before dinner. But I do like that one to be large and very strong and very cold and very well-made." -  Ian Fleming’s James bond

“Martinis, my dear are dangerous. Have two at the very most. Have three and you’re under the table. Have four and you’re under the host.”  -  Dorothy Parker

There is something about a Martini,
A tingle remarkably pleasant;
A yellow, a mellow Martini;
I wish that I had one at present.
There is something about a Martini,
Ere the dining and dancing begin,
And to tell you the truth,
It is not the vermouth--
I think that perhaps it's the gin.    Ogden Nash  -   A Drink With Something In It

I like chili with beans and I like chili without beans.

I like Coney dogs, but I don't like raw onions so I suppose Coney dog mayvens would call me a heretic.

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Chili has kidney beans, if not its not chili, period. 2012/10/09 11:40:42
MiamiDon

Michael, are you secretly Irish?

I'm secretly living in Dutch Harbor where I moonlight as the writer of the police blotter. My father always said I was named for everyone who might really have been my father.

lleechef
Sirloin
Re:Chili has kidney beans, if not its not chili, period. 2012/10/09 11:58:04
Michael is in Dutch Harbor writing for dutchharbortelegraph.com?  I thought he just went to the store to get cat food!
Re:Chili has kidney beans, if not its not chili, period. 2012/10/09 13:01:37
lleechef

Michael is in Dutch Harbor writing for dutchharbortelegraph.com?  I thought he just went to the store to get cat food!

Actually he went to the store to get a jar of Bush's beanless Chili!
SeamusD
Re:Chili has kidney beans, if not its not chili, period. 2012/10/09 13:56:01
I put black and red beans in my chili. Sometimes jalapenos and cilantro. And just a little cheese, not the tons I see in the preceding pictures, I want chili with a little cheese, not cheese with a little chili. I do whut I wawnt!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Chili has kidney beans, if not its not chili, period. 2012/10/09 14:07:23
Oh, fear not. That isn't chili in the photos. That's a three-way or four-way or five-way. The cheese is merely one of the "ways."
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
Re:Chili has kidney beans, if not its not chili, period. 2012/10/09 14:30:56
Michael Hoffman
cheese is merely one of the "ways."

Or rather, part of the ways
hatteras04
Re:Chili has kidney beans, if not its not chili, period. 2012/10/10 12:01:37
Last Friday, at Sage Restaurant in Columbus I had a creation of Ian Fleming in one of his books - a Vesper.  It was part gin, part vodka and part lillet blanc, shaken with a twist (I guess the original in the book had kina lillet instead of lillet blanc but that is no longer available).  Anyways, it was good but I wasn't sure of the point.  The gin flavor dominates the vodka so it just ends up tasting like dilluted gin.  Next time I'll just go back to all gin.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Chili has kidney beans, if not its not chili, period. 2012/10/10 12:31:14
All gin is good. I make my martinis by pouring the gin in the same room that once contained an unopened bottle of vermouth.
HollyDolly
Re:Chili has kidney beans, if not its not chili, period. 2012/10/10 12:54:25
Twinwillow, you have it right.In Texas beans in chili is verbotten. Read Robb Walsh's book, Tex Mex,which has the history of many mexican dishes,as well as recipes. The Chili Queens of San Antonio didn't put beans in their chili.
My mom would make chili, and somewhere I have her old recipe.Momma used ground beef, hamburger meat ,and did add red kidney beans to hers. She got the recipe from I think the San Antonio Light or some place. She only served her chili with plain white rice. No cheese, onions, or anything else,except maybe a salad. Now, with winter coming, may have to dig the recipe out and make it in the slow cooker. You can also still buy gebhardt's Chili Powder,which is also mentioned in the book,as is Austex Mexene Chili powder,another old brand. Here at H.E.B.Grocery stores they have ground meat for chili.It's a little more chunky or coarsely chopped than regular ground beef.
Chili parlors used to be all over the place. Recall my dad talking about  a chili parlor in Hot Springs,Arkansas back when he was growing up there back in the 1920s and early 30s.There also was an older mexican gentleman who sold tamales too.Grandpa would sometimes buy them for the family.
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Chili has kidney beans, if not its not chili, period. 2012/10/10 14:16:47
Michael Hoffman

All gin is good. I make my martinis by pouring the gin in the same room that once contained an unopened bottle of vermouth.

That is what most who ask for a "very dry" martini really want. When bar-tending I  used to hold my finger over the top of the vermouth bottle and wave it over the gin. Most of the time the reception was that the martini was "perfect". 
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Chili has kidney beans, if not its not chili, period. 2012/10/10 14:19:25
When it comes to martinis the Sahara is too wet for me.
Russ Jackson
Re:Chili has kidney beans, if not its not chili, period. 2012/10/10 15:55:54
Dirty
1 teaspoon olive juice
3 Olives
3 oz Bombay Sapphire
1/2 cap vermouth 
Frozen Glass that was dipped in water prior to freezing

Dirty Mexican Martini (Russ Jackson Original)
1 teaspoon juice from jarred Jalapeno's
3 oz Bombay Sapphire 
3 Jalapeno rings on tooth pic
Frozen Glass that was dipped in water prior to freezing
Re:Chili has kidney beans, if not its not chili, period. 2012/10/10 17:31:08
Michael Hoffman

When it comes to martinis the Sahara is too wet for me.

When I make mine, I have my wife go in another part of the house, preferably the garage and write Vermou on a slip of paper, that makes it just about right! Once she spelled the whole thing out, kind of screwed it up!

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Chili has kidney beans, if not its not chili, period. 2012/10/10 17:55:26
What a great idea.
BackRhodes
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Chili has kidney beans, if not its not chili, period. 2012/10/30 20:35:53
Big_g

Texas Red ain't got no beans....you can serve beans as a side dish, but please not in the chili.

I agree...Senior Boogie Woogie is from TN...so maybe he somehow fell under the influence of some yankee cooks to the north of him...

Why contaminate perfectly good dipping chili with beans...

I *love* toasting up sourdough from San Francisco (which is widely available here), slothering butter on it, and dippin' it in chili as an appetizer, before scarfing down the main event ...
rockets
Junior Burger
Re:Chili has kidney beans, if not its not chili, period. 2013/02/28 09:27:53
senor boogie woogie

Yup. Chili has beans. No beans, it isn't chili. It is meat sauce. That is what makes chili, chili, the beans. I cant believe the people on here who eschew the one thing that makes chili, chili. No beans, why bother?

Chili has beans or it ain't chili. Period. You Texan meat sauce makers don't know ****. (that is with an S of course, you can figure the rest. Please meat sauce makers, don't pass your crap as chili, go execute another illegal alien and let the real cooks abide.

A great man once said; "If you're lookin' at beans you ain't lookin' at Chili", he was a Texan but I repeat myself.
post edited by rockets - 2013/02/28 09:34:14
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
Re:Chili has kidney beans, if not its not chili, period. 2013/02/28 09:48:43
rockets
A great man once said; "If you're lookin' at beans you ain't lookin' at Chili", he was a Texan but I repeat myself.

He (whoever he was) may well have been great in many ways

But he was intolerant of regional differences in cooking and tastes
pnwchef
Filet Mignon
Re:Chili has kidney beans, if not its not chili, period. 2013/02/28 10:00:34
I would have to agree, I make chili with beans because people expect chili to have beans. I feel beans are a filler and don't really add all that much to the final outcome. If I were to make a chili, not knowing what other people put in their chili, I would make the sauce and meat king. The sauce should be full of flavor with some heat, the meat should be  melt in your moth tender, but not fall apart. I would get some good Seattle Sour Dough Crusty Bread to mop up the gravy and tender morsels of meat. This would be a chili to eat with friends, while cracking open a few beers.............save the beans for soup where they just may add some flavor and texture.............
bartl
Re:Chili has kidney beans, if not its not chili, period. 2013/02/28 15:48:33
senor boogie woogie Yup. Chili has beans. No beans, it isn't chili. It is meat sauce. That is what makes chili, chili, the beans. I cant believe the people on here who eschew the one thing that makes chili, chili. No beans, why bother?

Chili con Carne: hot peppers with meat. Nothing about beans. Beans had been often served with chili, and there are those who mixed them on the plate.

Otherwise, the addition of beans to the recipe was popularized during the Great Depression of the 1930's as a method of extending the meat.

Bart
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2