Menu Verbage for wait time

Junior Burger
2012/10/08 12:39:23
I have a very small cafe where you order at the counter and we deliver the food to the table.  I use all fresh ingredients, and every order is made to-order.  Because they order at the counter, it seems my customers' perception is that it is fast food, so the only complaints I ever hear are about the wait time (approx 10-15 mins).  I would like to put a statement on my menu or at the counter like "All menu items are prepared fresh to-order.  This takes time... but it will be worth it" or something.  I have seen in another cafe "Each order prepared to order.  If you are in a hurry, we look forward to seeing you another time" which I thought was a little harsh?  Looking for ideas, opinions, etc.  Thanks!
kman160
Cheeseburger
Re:Menu Verbage for wait time 2012/10/08 12:50:41
We're not slow
We're not fast
We're half fast
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Menu Verbage for wait time 2012/10/08 12:53:50
I'd leave of the part about see ya another time.

Keep it simple or funny.

We prepare all dishes from scratch...to serve you the best quality meal. Please understand that the average time to do so is....

Or...
Hey you're retired. What's the rush?

You never rushed your Grandma...so sit down & wait.
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
Re:Menu Verbage for wait time 2012/10/08 15:10:01
LLNelson

I have a very small cafe where you order at the counter and we deliver the food to the table.  I use all fresh ingredients, and every order is made to-order.  Because they order at the counter, it seems my customers' perception is that it is fast food, so the only complaints I ever hear are about the wait time (approx 10-15 mins).  I would like to put a statement on my menu or at the counter like "All menu items are prepared fresh to-order.  This takes time... but it will be worth it" or something.  I have seen in another cafe "Each order prepared to order.  If you are in a hurry, we look forward to seeing you another time" which I thought was a little harsh?  Looking for ideas, opinions, etc.  Thanks!

I would not put it on the menu, I would put it in an very obvious place on or above the counter. If you put it on your menu, it will be lost by some. Have you ever watched how people read menus? There have been studies done on this and it's amazing what they see or miss.

One or two lines "All menu items are prepared fresh to-order. " and I would add "We appreciate your Patience".

"All menu items are Prepared Fresh to-Order. "
                              "We appreciate Your Patience".
post edited by Dr of BBQ - 2012/10/09 08:24:22
roadkillgrill
Cheeseburger
Re:Menu Verbage for wait time 2012/10/09 02:32:35
This actually hangs in my truck

Moral of the story, make it funny, and you can say anything. and you make fun of it also.

The way I got around that is I pushed call in orders, but then learned the tricks
roadkillgrill
Cheeseburger
Re:Menu Verbage for wait time 2012/10/09 02:47:30
or..
Now that I have your attention...
Good Food takes time to prepare

Hamburger
Re:Menu Verbage for wait time 2012/10/11 00:20:34
I will be doing the same thing when my place opens.  I thought about having a poster sized sign somewhere on one of the walls with menu items listed top to bottom and the time it takes to get the order out.  This way if you are in a hurry the expectation has already been set and you can order cheese sticks instead of stuffed shrimp.  

Other things I'm thinking of:

We have no fast food, only fresh quality!

(Your business name here), We do it right the first time! or We take the time to do it right! or  We take the time to make the taste that makes you smile!

Call ins are always welcome!

We are not interested in selling fast food, only fresh quality!

I never mind waiting for fresh food, I prefer to wait.  There was a place here (Catfish Connection) that used to be so busy that on Fri and Sat you would have to call in 2 hours early to get your food.  Take out only and they were busy every single weekend without fail.

Hope some of this helps you.  
LLNelson
Junior Burger
Re:Menu Verbage for wait time 2012/10/28 13:23:51
Thanks everyone!  Ready to weigh in on another question?
Split charges.  Again - I am a very small Cafe, and my portion sizes are standard to large.  Both of the Chef's I've had are adamant about not charging split charges, yet they complain when we get so many splitters.  Especially when we offer a small salad and a large salad, and they order a large and split it.  If it's an entree that comes with a side, the Chef hates to send out a cheap looking plate with a 1/2 a side, so the customer usually ends up getting two sides.  As the owner it's frustrating, but is it worth the $2 per split to upset existing loyal customers?  I get that it's two plates, two sets of utensils, two napkins etc... but it's also an occupied seat. 
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Menu Verbage for wait time 2012/10/28 13:58:18
If this happens often...your portion sizes are large.

I'm not about charging phantom charges for loyal customers just trying navigate portion sizes. Many people have zero desire to take away leftovers...and some people struggle to open a wallet...over anything.

If you have no additional charges for accommodating to-go orders...a split charge or share charge is going to be met with a fight.

You can have a policy that if an entree is split...it comes with one salad or side (however you do it). Additional salad/sides will not be split by the restaurant. Additional sides or salads are offered...at additional charges. Or...here's the entree...here's a plate. Here's a salad...and an extra plate. Especially for salads. Requests for splitting a salad. Jesus.
post edited by CCinNJ - 2012/10/28 14:13:58
Buck & Vi's
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Menu Verbage for wait time 2012/10/29 16:08:00
I had the same prob. people started ordering 1/2 order of fries, or 1/2 loaded potato.. I quit doing them I just told them that by the time i buy the potato spen .08 for the box then sell the thing for 1.00 i dont make anything so i had to stop the practice,, most understand.....the ones that dont ??......
edwmax
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Menu Verbage for wait time 2012/10/30 06:44:35
For funny add another sign.

.... It your in a hurry, we can serve Banquet or Hungry-Man dinners in 5 minutes.  Price $10. ...
... Fresh made, good food takes 15 to 20 minutes ...
edwmax
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Menu Verbage for wait time 2012/10/30 08:12:47
Or  ... maybe

Fast Food served HOT in 5 minutes.  Your choice Banquet or Hungry-Man ... $10

Otherwise, fresh made, good food takes 15 to 20 minutes. A few items may take a little longer.
pnwchef
Filet Mignon
Re:Menu Verbage for wait time 2012/10/30 11:37:59
IMHO, give them something to munch on while waiting. When a customer walks into the Restaurant and orders at a walk up counter, it feels like a long waiting for the food no matter how long it takes. 10 minutes is to long, come up with a munchy, these people are hungry, have nothing to do, treat them as a guest, like they really are...................pnwc
post edited by pnwchef - 2012/10/30 11:44:19