Eating out and the Price of Gas

Sirloin
2012/10/09 01:18:34
I saw two things today that I've never seen before.... ever.

At the gas station across the street for Union Station in Los Angeles the price of a gallon of regular gas was $5.49.  Guess I was lucky when I filled the tank at $4.65. 

This price was about 75¢ a gallon above all other stations in the city.  Guess that's why the NBC news van was there.

The other thing I saw was this:

No lines and hardly any people at Phillipe's.

I've been going to Phillipe's for probably 40+ years and never, ever has there been no one in line. 

There were a few people eating, but the lines!  There weren't any.

I know that the gas price across the nation isn't as bad as in Los Angeles, but are you seeing its affect on restaurants in your area?

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Eating out and the Price of Gas 2012/10/09 12:23:44
Well, there was almost a whole empty counter at the Waffle House this morning. It had to be the price of gasoline. It cost me $2.69.9 a gallon when I stopped on the way to breakfast.
Re:Eating out and the Price of Gas 2012/10/09 12:55:46
I hope for a change in gas prices among some other things.
SeamusD
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Eating out and the Price of Gas 2012/10/09 13:36:10
I only frequent a couple restaurants these days, and they're "neighborhood" places, where I assume most people are very local and walk to, so I still wait for a table most of the time. I don't spend a lot of money on gas, so it doesn't affect my dining out as far as money is concerned.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Eating out and the Price of Gas 2012/10/09 13:45:04
chewingthefat

Oh, wait, my mistake. You meant new paving for your parking area.

joerogo
Filet Mignon
Re:Eating out and the Price of Gas 2012/10/09 14:32:44
The prices of food and energy are out of control.
Re:Eating out and the Price of Gas 2012/10/09 17:48:36
Michael Hoffman

chewingthefat

Oh, wait, my mistake. You meant new paving for your parking area.

Of course!!! And some other things.

ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:Eating out and the Price of Gas 2012/10/09 18:17:47
I think Bob and I will drive to Ohio to fill up our tank! LOL! Gas is $4.69 here........
iluvcfood
Cheeseburger
Re:Eating out and the Price of Gas 2012/10/09 18:18:50
Price of gas hasnt seemed to bother anyone in this area!  People tend to go out and eat regardless of the price of gas! 
Thanks to Mr. Brown the gas prices will be dropping!  Today it went down .10

Edited to add:  Here we dont have to pay to park everywhere you go like you do so that makes a difference.
post edited by iluvcfood - 2012/10/09 18:20:30
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:Eating out and the Price of Gas 2012/10/09 18:34:34
I lied, as usual-dont drive these days......$3.69 here in Wisconsin.....I remember last year, however, visiting Al and Janet in southern Indiana, gas was at least a dollar cheaper on our way home from there....made our visit even sweeter!

Davydd
Sirloin
Re:Eating out and the Price of Gas 2012/10/10 08:35:11
The way to beat the price of gasoline is to drive a vehicle with diesel.

I paid a high of $5.96/US Gal. for diesel on the Klondike Highway in the Yukon, Canada and it was still about $0.40 cheaper than regular gasoline. I look at it this way. I spent about $3,000 for fuel driving to Alaska for the northernmost breaded pork tenderloin sandwich.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Eating out and the Price of Gas 2012/10/10 11:37:59
Diesel prices in Ohio and Pennsylvania run higher than gasoline prices.
tiki
Filet Mignon
Re:Eating out and the Price of Gas 2012/10/10 11:53:25
Here in Checotah Ok--diesel $4.099 a gal--gas $3;559 a gal--so at 50cents MORE for diesel--unless your diesel engine gets a lot better mileage then my Toyota's 34 mpg in the winter w/o the ac--i will stick with gas for now.--oh--32 in the summer with the ac

Davydd
Sirloin
Re:Eating out and the Price of Gas 2012/10/10 16:06:56
Diesel is uniformly less expensive than regular gasoline in all of western Canada. Up until about 6 years ago diesel was always less expensive in the US as it rightfully should be since it is a less refined product from the same source of oil.

For equivalent energy content gasoline would have to sell for $3.49/gal. to beat diesel at $4.099/gal. There are other factors involved but that is for energy content. Rarely in my travels this year have I found gasoline that much cheaper. In fact last spring in many places in the Midwest regular gasoline was actually more expensive than diesel for a brief period. Diesel prices don't fluctuate as much or as fast as gasoline in the market.

My turbo diesel RV campervan outperforms similar weight gasoline campervans at the rate of 21 mpg vs 16 mpg. Do the math.
porkbeaks
Re:Eating out and the Price of Gas 2012/10/10 16:40:42
Michael Hoffman

Well, there was almost a whole empty counter at the Waffle House this morning. It had to be the price of gasoline. It cost me $2.69.9 a gallon when I stopped on the way to breakfast.

$2.69? Is that a typo? http://www.columbusgaspri.s.com/Gahanna/index.aspx
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Eating out and the Price of Gas 2012/10/10 16:55:51
No typo. I paid $2.69.9 a gallon for a tankful of regular unleaded gasoline at the Giant Eagle Get Go station on North Hamilton Road in Gahanna using earned fuel perks.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Eating out and the Price of Gas 2012/10/10 17:12:31
We filled at Costco last saturday for $3.38 9/10th. No extras there...just used their card to pay.  Today at the local Kroger gassed Janets car for $3.69 a gallon, but that included a 10 cent a gallon discount for 'Kroger Points' earn by buying groceries.
BTW I like that...the more ice cream and bakery treats I eat, the cheaper the gas for my truck (
Davydd
Sirloin
Re:Eating out and the Price of Gas 2012/10/10 17:28:30
I just checked where I usually go for gas for my car and diesel for my RV when I am home. Regular was $3.799 and diesel was $4.049.
love2bake
Re:Eating out and the Price of Gas 2012/10/10 18:55:49
ann peeples

I think Bob and I will drive to Ohio to fill up our tank! LOL! Gas is $4.69 here........

I'm with you!  $4.35 at the "bargain" place on the SF peninsula.
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
Re:Eating out and the Price of Gas 2012/10/11 18:13:51
I am sentenced to be here in Houston this week. They have some of the cheapest gas I have seen in my travels this fall - around $3.45/gal, with no needed extra perks or discounts. Houston, though, usually has pretty cheap gas, since there is less travel time to the refineries.

I head to Denver and Phoenix next. Denver was moderately more expensive than Houston last week, but I haven't been to PHX since last year.