The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Chicken Fingers with Honey baby sauce

colve.nier

• Total Posts: 8
Chicken Fingers with Honey baby sauce Tue, 10/9/12 2:49 AM (permalink)
Hi everyone.............................
Here i want to share my favorite dish with you.

Ingredients:
Chicken Finger:
1 pound(s) chicken tenders (The package might call them "loins")
1 cup(s) flour
1 teaspoon(s) salt
1/2teaspoon(s) pepper
1/4teaspoon(s) baking powder
1 egg
Cooking spray
Honey Baby Sauce:
1/4cup(s) honey
1/4cup(s) spicy brown mustard

Directions:
1.Preheat the toaster oven to 375 degrees. Rinse the chicken under running water in the colander, and blot it dry with the paper towels. The drying part is important because the coating won’t stick to wet chicken, so don't skip it.
2.Combine the dry ingredients in one of the shallow dishes. (Since this recipe uses baking powder, you need to measure out the dry ingredients carefully.) Use the fork to mix them together.
3.Use the fork to beat the egg lightly in the other shallow dish. Now the fun part: dredge each piece of chicken first in the flour (shake off any extra), then in the egg, and then back in the flour. Finally, place the chicken on the baking sheet. Lightly spray the tops of the dredged chicken with oil.
4.Bake for 15 minutes. Flip the chicken pieces over with the tongs. Lightly spray them with oil, and bake another 5 minutes until golden brown.
5.To make sauce: Combine honey and mustard in a small bowl. If you're sharing, let each person have their own little bowl of sauce.
6.Let the chicken fingers cool before you dip them in Honey Baby Sauce. Chow down.

DawnT

• Total Posts: 1286
    Re:Chicken Fingers with Honey baby sauce Tue, 10/9/12 4:56 AM (permalink)
    I laud your effort for sharing with us as a relatively new poster. I have no criticism of your recipe and if it works for you, great. Yours is not only low fat, but very energy efficient if you're using a toaster oven. I do the same using a convection oven during the summer months at home. It's hard enough to cook for one or two, especially if there are dietary restrictions. Recipes like this are sorely needed.  

I thought that I'd suggest a bit of enhancement you might want to try that we developed based on our patron's feedback. I used to offer a low fat alternative to our regular servings for those that were trying to mind a diet or had dietary issues. You can't accommodate everyone with special needs, but you can try.  One of those entrees was oven baked chicken fingers or thin sliced cutlets. Flour based breaders can be enhanced to give a better texture more like deep fried when baked with a little secret. Crushed corn flakes or old, stale baguette bread cut up and run through your food processor until it's fine. Croutons work well too. My ratio was 1 cup fine crumbs to 1/4 c self rising flour. You already have the baking powder in yours. I used seasoned flour for the first undercoat and then egg substitute wash for breading with the seasoned crumb/flour mixture. I would also add 1/2 tsp each of paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and sugar to what you already have in mine. We did ours at a higher temp of 425 degrees for a total of 12-13 minutes because it seemed to produce a better texture with the commercial vegetable spray we used. Cayenne substituted for the black pepper in a smaller amount makes a nice, spicy alternative or use a hot sauce added to the egg wash. For more plump, you can brine the strips for no more then 30 minutes or less with ice before breading for a juicier chicken finger.  A modification using parmesan cheese added worked great for Tilapia fillets and using butter flavored spray. Ten minutes is good. Also we butterflied and flattened shrimp leaving on just the tail using the above as another alternative. Instead of using our usual honey mustard or Chipotle ranch which is much too high in fat b/c of mayo that we served with the deep fried version, we ended up using Ken's Lite honey mustard dressing for the chicken. We had enormous success with these three. These don't hold well, so they need to be plated and served as quickly as possible.

colve.nier

• Total Posts: 8
      Re:Chicken Fingers with Honey baby sauce Fri, 10/12/12 1:58 AM (permalink)
      DawnT

I laud your effort for sharing with us as a relatively new poster. I have no criticism of your recipe and if it works for you, great. Yours is not only low fat, but very energy efficient if you're using a toaster oven. I do the same using a convection oven during the summer months at home. It's hard enough to cook for one or two, especially if there are dietary restrictions. Recipes like this are sorely needed.  

I thought that I'd suggest a bit of enhancement you might want to try that we developed based on our patron's feedback. I used to offer a low fat alternative to our regular servings for those that were trying to mind a diet or had dietary issues. You can't accommodate everyone with special needs, but you can try.  One of those entrees was oven baked chicken fingers or thin sliced cutlets. Flour based breaders can be enhanced to give a better texture more like deep fried when baked with a little secret. Crushed corn flakes or old, stale baguette bread cut up and run through your food processor until it's fine. Croutons work well too. My ratio was 1 cup fine crumbs to 1/4 c self rising flour. You already have the baking powder in yours. I used seasoned flour for the first undercoat and then egg substitute wash for breading with the seasoned crumb/flour mixture. I would also add 1/2 tsp each of paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and sugar to what you already have in mine. We did ours at a higher temp of 425 degrees for a total of 12-13 minutes because it seemed to produce a better texture with the commercial vegetable spray we used. Cayenne substituted for the black pepper in a smaller amount makes a nice, spicy alternative or use a hot sauce added to the egg wash. For more plump, you can brine the strips for no more then 30 minutes or less with ice before breading for a juicier chicken finger.  A modification using parmesan cheese added worked great for Tilapia fillets and using butter flavored spray. Ten minutes is good. Also we butterflied and flattened shrimp leaving on just the tail using the above as another alternative. Instead of using our usual honey mustard or Chipotle ranch which is much too high in fat b/c of mayo that we served with the deep fried version, we ended up using Ken's Lite honey mustard dressing for the chicken. We had enormous success with these three. These don't hold well, so they need to be plated and served as quickly as possible.

Hi Dawn.................... Thanks for your suggestion. I surely remember your suggestion and try it next time in mine recipes.

DawnT

• Total Posts: 1286
        Re:Chicken Fingers with Honey baby sauce Fri, 10/12/12 2:39 AM (permalink)
        I  don't know where you're located or if you have access to store bought, boxed Kellog's Cornflakes Crumbs that I mentioned as a default. Using old bread is very economical if you can obtain day(s) old bread from a bakery, so are herbed croutons past their prime and dessicated a bit in an oven from absorbed moisture. 

You may want to search the archives on my posts over the years regarding immersion fried, pan fried, and pressure fried chicken. Spice and herbing differ in results between the methods. Oven baking is less tolerant to herb and spicing where the oil and/or pressure blooms the spicing. You're less tolerant to baking besides the spices listed and have a better chance introducing flavors in a brine or rub if you're baking. Seafood boils seeped ahead of time can add a fantastic dimension used as a part of a brine. Hope this gives you some ideas.  

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
          • No New Messages
          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
          • Locked w/ New Messages
          • Locked w/o New Messages
          • Read Message
          • Post New Thread
          • Reply to message
          • Post New Poll
          • Submit Vote
          • Post reward post
          • Delete my own posts
          • Delete my own threads
          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com