Daily cost to run a food truck

Hamburger
2012/10/11 01:19:10
Is anyone willing to share a daily P&L  report? What your sales and overhead is.  What I am mainly after is utility cost.  I know what my food cost is but I am unsure of what the fuel cost will be to run a generator and the cost of propane for a lunch shift.

My food truck will just be an extension of my current restaurant.  The equipment for propane will be a 36" griddle and 2 40lb fryers.  Of course I will have various electric lights and cash registers.  The heavy use on electric would 2-4' prep tables and an air conditioner.

Any help would be appreciated.  PM me if you do not want to post here.  Thanks
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
Re:Daily cost to run a food truck 2012/10/11 08:41:29
You will be comparing apples to oranges, there are just far to many variables between food trucks, trailers, generators, power consumption, weather, hours operated, the volume of food produced, equipment used, insulation, the list is never ending.
roadkillgrill
Cheeseburger
Re:Daily cost to run a food truck 2012/10/11 13:02:32
Just saying... Seems you didn't do your homework first. A truck is more than just throwing a bunch of electric guzzling equipment inside. It's research and planning. ie, my prep table draws .9amps, my refrigs draw 1.1amps. What is the capacity of your battery pack? none? Ever considered changing out the jets in your griddle? how about a <1amp variable speed exhaust fan at 750cfm. Thats when you figure consumption, in the planning stage. or just buy a $6k generator that's under 69dba with a 1000hr life expectancy and replace it twice a year. yeah we know we're tough....
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Daily cost to run a food truck 2012/10/11 13:27:50
Which Weatherford restaurant is yours? I've eaten at the T-Bone Steakhouse and Jerry's. I loved them both. Jerry's turns out mighty fine breakfasts and the T-Bone Steakhouse was a real find. Fact is, I'd drive a couple of hundred miles for one of the strip steaks or chicken fried steaks at the T-Bone.
cue
Hamburger
Re:Daily cost to run a food truck 2012/10/11 13:37:23
I know I am not comparing apples to apples.  I am in MY planning stage and I am trying to get some rough figures together.  Later in MY planning I will break everything down.  But this is where I am at at this point in time in MY PLAN.  This is the info I need at this point in time.

I have no idea if it is going to be $50. or $350.  I am just trying to get a baseline.

Thank you for your help
chefbuba
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Daily cost to run a food truck 2012/10/11 14:23:34
My nut is $75 a day, plus the cost of food.
roadkillgrill
Cheeseburger
Re:Daily cost to run a food truck 2012/10/11 16:24:26
sorry for the roughness, but looking back we get some that dont know what they are doing. Did not realize you were established. You may not want mine (lol) but if planned out it wont be that much. I dont use fryers tho. I can run off battery pack and 16,000watt inverter for 6-8 hours lights/refig/fzrs.exhaust. Water heater and griddle only thing on lp. 40# every 3 weeks. Thus I'm under $5/day, plus truck fuel, which depends on destination. Only time genpac is needed is for AC or at an event when I need everything on at once. I can recharge battery pack from the engine in 15 minutes. Yes it costs more up front, but your bottom line will love you for it. my apologies for jumping the gun and best of luck
THE WILD DOG
Re:Daily cost to run a food truck 2012/10/11 16:35:10
MY FOOD TRUCK DOESN'T GO ANYWHERE UNTIL IT HAS 50$WORTH OF GAS A DAY PLUS 20-30 A DAY IN GENERATOR, THEN THERE IS PROPANE, AND THAT RUNS ME ABOUT 120 A MONTH. AND THEN ON TOP OF THAT THERE IS STAFF PAY, AND FOOD COSTS, MY FOOD COSTS ARE ABOUT 500 EVERY TWO WEEKS SO FAR AND MY TRUCK IS BEEN RUNNING FOR ABOUT 2  MONTHS...  AND OWNING A FOOD TRUCK IS NOTHING LIKE OWNING A RESTAURANT OR A CART, OR A TRAILER, IT IS IT'S OWN ANIMAL AND YOU AREN'T BUILDING UP ONE SPOT, YOU ARE BUILDING UP SEVERAL. AND SORRY FOR THE CAPS, TOO LAZY TO UN CAP IT
cue
Hamburger
Re:Daily cost to run a food truck 2012/10/11 16:35:34
Chefbuba
Is this for lunch and dinner or just lunch?  What is your major equipment that you run off of electric and propane?
chefbuba
Re:Daily cost to run a food truck 2012/10/11 18:04:16
I'm only open for lunch five hours. Six days.
Propane flat grill, oven, char broiler, fryer.
Two door r/I, 4' sand table, 8' hood & two hole steam table on 110. Average $300 month in propane, power is about $50.
I'm stationary for the most part.
cue
Hamburger
Re:Daily cost to run a food truck 2012/10/12 00:12:36
chefbuba

I'm only open for lunch five hours. Six days.
Propane flat grill, oven, char broiler, fryer.
Two door r/I, 4' sand table, 8' hood & two hole steam table on 110. Average $300 month in propane, power is about $50.
I'm stationary for the most part.

Exactly what I needed, thank you.  This will give me a good idea.
cue
Hamburger
Re:Daily cost to run a food truck 2012/10/12 00:15:53
Michael Hoffman

Which Weatherford restaurant is yours? I've eaten at the T-Bone Steakhouse and Jerry's. I loved them both. Jerry's turns out mighty fine breakfasts and the T-Bone Steakhouse was a real find. Fact is, I'd drive a couple of hundred miles for one of the strip steaks or chicken fried steaks at the T-Bone.

I own a restaurant in a neighboring city.  I do not want to get into which one it is until my truck is up and running, in case other restaurant owners in the area frequent this board.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Daily cost to run a food truck 2012/10/12 10:44:24
Gotcha. Thanks.
THE WILD DOG
Re:Daily cost to run a food truck 2012/10/12 16:00:07
oooook