My local roadfood weekend

Filet Mignon
2012/10/12 14:19:37

Ten of us (rwo cars) had a great Roadfood weekend. Saturday, we started out with breakfast at the Waffe House in Frederick, MD. We arrived late so there were plenty of seats and we were spread out at three tables for great waffles,and and all the rest.. We then went to an interesting farm stand and bouught loads of fresh vegetable. Ater that , we stopped at an orchard for apples, great cider andd some locally produced cheese

Next was the important part of the day! We went to a corm maze in Thurmont, Md, and the kids loved it. There was over eight acres of corn maze with 18 checkpoints.. The most fun for the guys was shooting pumpkins out of this cannon affair which shot the pumpkins a good half mile away. Then it was back over to route 15 and Chuubyst's barbeque. Wow! What great food we had: . I decided on the fried chicken and this has to be the best in Maryland' and second est ever. pork belly. corned beef, ribs, pulled pork, fried chicen. barbequed chicken and cream of crab soup.. The people that ordered the corned beef and pork belly thought that it was amazing...........................we can't wait to go back in3weeks. Thank you Tom for the great visit' !!
Sunday, my niece and family came to stay overnight on their way to D>C> to tour. They treat seven of us to dinner that night at EW Becks, a local restaurant in historic Sykesville. I love it there because they will make your hamburgers anyway you would like them I has a great medium rare burger with bacon , blue cheese and very nicely grilled onions on it. Many opted for cream f crab soup (terrific here) and crabcakes (not as good as mine but they were happy).
Monday, my son had the day off so we went to Lexington market and I had two dozen oyers! He oped for a great lump crabcake. We then went to an Italian maaaaaarket and picked up loads of aUge (homemade), cold meats and cheesae, capers and some Ruby pasta. We had a mid-afternoon lunch at Sabatino's in "Little Italy". We shared their famous Bookbinder's salad which is the best Italian salad in town. The waitesss plated the salad for us and did the same for the pasta with whitel clam sauce. I love this restaurnt , but I cannot believe that they serve such dreadful Italian bread! I amost felt like going out to the car and geeting a loaf of the really good Italian bread that we had purchased at the Italian market..
We brought home pizza from our favorite local pizza place for dinner for the rest of the family. UI\I was completely saturated with food so just had a martini for my dinner!

Excuse any errors...................have had three eye opertions since March, and one more to go.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:My local roadfood weekend 2012/10/12 14:37:11
Greymo it's wonderful to see you posting again. And it sounds like you had a really great weekend. But Ruby pasta? I'd give anything to be able to find some around here once again. I can see the Littlest One begging for the giant meatball to go with it.
eruby
Double Cheeseburger
Re:My local roadfood weekend 2012/10/12 14:52:07
Nice weekend Greymo!

Did you consider Barbara Fritchie's instead of The Waffle House?  Seems you were going over that way anyway to get to Rt 15 (not that there's anything wrong with Waffle House).

One of these days I will make it to EW Beck's.  I've never heard anything bad about that place.
post edited by eruby - 2012/10/12 14:53:48
kland01s
Filet Mignon
Re:My local roadfood weekend 2012/10/12 15:14:34
Nice that you went to Chubby's! I saw his menu on line and I would love to go there someday but that won't happen.... I can't drive anymore.
mar52
Sirloin
Re:My local roadfood weekend 2012/10/12 15:31:34
Hi Greymo! 

What a weekend! 

Thanks for sharing it and letting us know that you're doing well.

The fact that you went BACK to Chubby's soeaks volumes! 

Maybe one of these days we can meet you there.  Well years....
Re:My local roadfood weekend 2012/10/12 17:45:22
Thanks Greymo, it was great seeing you, Art, and your family and friends. Your Grandaughter, Ms. Lacrosse, is absolutely stunning, Art needs to keep a sharp eye out as the boys will come calling in droves. Glad you all enjoyed the grub!
Tom

ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:My local roadfood weekend 2012/10/12 18:50:08
Great to see you again, my friend!Wonderful report!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:My local roadfood weekend 2012/10/12 20:21:56
I'm trying to get her to play for Ohio State when she finishes high school. Come to think of it, it's about time for some new OSU shoelaces. Oh, and she's Ms Stick, not Ms Lacrosse. Don't forget, she's a basketball player, too.
post edited by Michael Hoffman - 2012/10/12 20:26:36
Re:My local roadfood weekend 2012/10/13 12:43:53
Michael Hoffman

I'm trying to get her to play for Ohio State when she finishes high school. Come to think of it, it's about time for some new OSU shoelaces. Oh, and she's Ms Stick, not Ms Lacrosse. Don't forget, she's a basketball player, too.

Her dad, Art, wants her to go to Mt. St. Mary's Univ. about 1/8 of a mile from me, I agree, great school, MY alma mater!

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:My local roadfood weekend 2012/10/13 13:24:12
Her dad doesn't want her going where he can't play helicopter parent. That kid's going to be getting full-ride offers from top schools.
Re:My local roadfood weekend 2012/10/13 18:21:39
Michael Hoffman

Her dad doesn't want her going where he can't play helicopter parent. That kid's going to be getting full-ride offers from top schools.

No doubt!

mr chips
Filet Mignon
Re:My local roadfood weekend 2012/10/13 19:16:33
Wishing your granddaughter well, Mr. Hoffman. 
mr chips
Filet Mignon
Re:My local roadfood weekend 2012/10/13 19:17:39
Greymo, enjoyed your report a great deal. empathize with your eye surgery. I've had two last treatments and aim due for another in a month or so.