Soda?

cookin1
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
Soda? - Fri, 10/12/12 6:33 PM
What is your best selling soda's, and how many different flavors do you stock?

Tristan225
  • Total Posts : 350
Re:Soda? - Fri, 10/12/12 6:40 PM
Don't know, I sell pop, like Pepsi, Mountain Dew, Coke, Diet Coke and water.   

Hungry Dog
  • Total Posts : 24
Re:Soda? - Mon, 10/29/12 8:25 PM
I would like to know that as well. I was planning on Coke, Diet Coke, 7-up and bottled water. I thought Mountain Dew would be a good choice as well especially if you expected a lot of kids. Also I thought a premium Root Beer would be good in small quanitys.

chefbuba
  • Total Posts : 1952
Re:Soda? - Mon, 10/29/12 9:27 PM
You carry what sells best in YOUR area. When you get going, if you get bombarded for Pepsi product requests, well, then it's time to switch. If 10 people a day are asking for Dr Pepper, time to stock it.

Lost Nation
  • Total Posts : 105
Re:Soda? - Tue, 10/30/12 6:20 AM
I sell Coke, Mt Dew, water,Diet Coke and Sprite (also in that order). Last season I sold a few more options and it was a PIA for me, stocking them and storing them in my trailer.

This seems to work, if someone wants a Pepsi they order a water (most margin) or a sprite.

I sell cans  of soda and the pint like size bottle of water for $1

RJT
  • Total Posts : 400
Re:Soda? - Tue, 10/30/12 6:53 AM
Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, Mt. Dew, Dr. Pepper, Hawiian Punch, Mug Root Beer

Is my line up of selections that never changes...

bellehill
  • Total Posts : 133
Re:Soda? - Wed, 10/31/12 2:32 PM
best selling  coke mt- dew .         we stock coke dt/ coke 7-up   pepsi dt/pepsi  mtn dew and water .                                                                                                    

cookin1
  • Total Posts : 4
Re:Soda? - Fri, 11/2/12 1:14 AM
Thanks to all for the help.

Hepcat
  • Total Posts : 374
Re:Soda? - Sat, 11/3/12 3:54 PM
Lost Nation
I sell Coke, Mt Dew, water,Diet Coke and Sprite (also in that order). Last season I sold a few more options and it was a PIA for me, stocking them and storing them in my trailer.

This seems to work, if someone wants a Pepsi they order a water (most margin) or a sprite.

Since Coke and Pepsi are the two best selling brands of soda pop, I see no reason not to stock them both. Moreover, Coke and Pepsi breed some incredibly hard core loyalists. If you don't have their brand, sure they may switch to water but they'll be annoyed, and they might not return.

What I'd be more inclined to drop is the Diet brand. You can sell the higher margin bottle of water to the diet drink crowd, or stock those juices that are mixed with sparkling water and sell them for $1.50.

<message edited by Hepcat on Sun, 11/4/12 12:58 PM>

Lost Nation
  • Total Posts : 105
Re:Soda? - Sat, 11/3/12 7:13 PM
Customers don't come to my BBQ stand (I also sell dogs) to buy soda
Hepcat

If you don't have their brand, sure they may switch to water but they'll be annoyed, and they might not return.

RJT
Re:Soda? - Sat, 11/3/12 9:13 PM
I have to agree with you. All major restaurants carry a specific brand (all Coke or all Pepsi) so I think McDonalds, Burger King, Subway, etc have it figured out. I see no reason to carry both Coke and Pepsi. There are hundreds of drink brands, flavors, varieties, etc so you will NEVER please everyone 100% with drinks selection and no need to try. Carry a basic lineup of "popular" drinks for your given area and people will make do with what you have.

Make minor adjustments as needed but only make adjustments after many people request something or you go many day’s weeks without selling something. I hardly ever sold any water so I dropped carrying it and still rarely get asked for it.

Lost Nation

Customers don't come to my BBQ stand (I also sell dogs) to buy soda
Hepcat

If you don't have their brand, sure they may switch to water but they'll be annoyed, and they might not return.

chefbuba
Re:Soda? - Sat, 11/3/12 10:29 PM
Hepcat

Lost Nation

Since Coke and Pepsi are the two best selling brands of soda pop, I see no reason not to stock them both. Moreover, some people can be incredible loyalists to their brand. If you don't have their brand, sure they may switch to water but they'll be annoyed, and they might not return.

What I'd be more inclined to drop is the Diet brand. You can sell the higher margin bottle of water to the diet drink crowd, or stock those juices that are mixed with sparkling water and sell them for $1.50.

Always have a diet.  If you have coke and I like pepsi, I'll buy the coke and be ok with it. But... I'm diabetic, and want a soda with my dog, don't care what it is, as long as it's diet. No diet, I'm not coming back.
There are a lot of people that don't need to drink diet, they just do. When I was still selling drinks, diet was 50% of what I sold. 

Hepcat
Re:Soda? - Sun, 11/4/12 1:03 PM
Lost Nation
Hepcat

Customers don't come to my BBQ stand (I also sell dogs) to buy soda.

Easy to say but do you operate in a vacuum with no competition? What about the fellow in the next stand?

RJT
All major restaurants carry a specific brand (all Coke or all Pepsi) so I think McDonalds, Burger King, Subway, etc have it figured out. I see no reason to carry both Coke and Pepsi.

Not a good comparison. You know very well that the chains have fountain drinks and they sign exclusivity agreements with a single supplier in exchange for sweetheart pricing. That's not so in the case of BBQ stands and hot dog carts.

RJT
There are hundreds of drink brands, flavors, varieties, etc so you will NEVER please everyone 100% with drinks selection and no need to try.

Noone's saying you need to carry everything. Just carry the two most popular brands, that's all. It's common sense.

<message edited by Hepcat on Sun, 11/4/12 1:25 PM>

bellehill
  • Total Posts : 133
Re:Soda? - Sun, 11/4/12 5:52 PM
we use 3 coolers 1st one coke / dt coke / 7-up. 2nd cooler pepsi / dt pepsi /mt dew. 3rd cooler all water. alot of folks can not have sugar.

RJT
Re:Soda? - Sun, 11/4/12 6:40 PM
Its your cat, skin it how you see fit.

I carry what I carry with no issues and my sales are fine. I have very little complaints about drink selections. Like others have said I dont go to McDonalds to get a specific soft drink I go to get a Big Mac. I go to my favorite BBQ joint not because they have a certain soft drink but because they have good BBQ, friendly staff and no me by name. 99% of the world will "make do" with a drink selection at any restaurants and be ok with it.

I like to keep things stream lined and my logistics smooth so I choose to sell one brand and 6 flavors that represent a good mix and variety.

In the end most vendors will figure out what works for them in their area best.

Hepcat

Lost Nation
Hepcat

Customers don't come to my BBQ stand (I also sell dogs) to buy soda.

Easy to say but do you operate in a vacuum with no competition? What about the fellow in the next stand?

RJT
All major restaurants carry a specific brand (all Coke or all Pepsi) so I think McDonalds, Burger King, Subway, etc have it figured out. I see no reason to carry both Coke and Pepsi.

Not a good comparison. You know very well that the chains have fountain drinks and they sign exclusivity agreements with a single supplier in exchange for sweetheart pricing. That's not so in the case of BBQ stands and hot dog carts.

RJT
There are hundreds of drink brands, flavors, varieties, etc so you will NEVER please everyone 100% with drinks selection and no need to try.

Noone's saying you need to carry everything. Just carry the two most popular brands, that's all. It's common sense.

<message edited by RJT on Sun, 11/4/12 6:42 PM>

SDJunkMan
  • Total Posts : 21
Re:Soda? - Mon, 11/5/12 10:31 AM
Coke, Diet Coke, Pepsi, Mt Dew are my best sellers, in that order.  Besides water, I also carry 7up, Root Beer, Orange, Dr Pepper, and the diet versions of those from time to time (when I get them on sale cheap!).  In the summer Minutemaid Lemonade in a can sells pretty good too.

Hepcat
Re:Soda? - Tue, 11/6/12 12:02 PM
I conducted a poll on soda pop last year:

http://www.universalmonsterarmy.com/forum/index.php?topic=13957.0

On the basis of this poll and market share stats overall, I'd be inclined to stock these brands:

Coca-Cola
Pepsi-Cola
Canada Dry Ginger Ale
7-Up
Mountain Dew
Orange Crush
A & W Rootbeer
Dr. Pepper
Diet Coke
Water

Ice Cream Man
  • Total Posts : 1370
Re:Soda? - Tue, 11/6/12 1:08 PM
If you did in my area you would have a lot of dead stock.
Canada Dry and 7 Up is just for mix.

Hepcat
Re:Soda? - Tue, 11/6/12 1:28 PM
Well that would bring my list down to more manageable size. Dr. Pepper also isn't as popular here in Canada as further south so I wouldn't stock that one in the Toronto area either.

BpCBlake
  • Total Posts : 436
Re:Soda? - Tue, 11/6/12 4:46 PM
I would sell what is selling in the area. name brands or generic. what ever sells. I see videos of hot dog carts in big citys that carry dozens of brands and flavors. but the average big city cart is like a catering cart size thou.
<message edited by BpCBlake on Tue, 11/6/12 4:47 PM>

jcheese
  • Total Posts : 739
Re:Soda? - Thu, 11/8/12 5:30 PM
Here's some of my thoughts....
I never pay more than .25 a can. Pepsi and/or Coke products are almost always on sale. They rotate. As long as I have cola I don't find it matters much which.
DO need to have diet, tho I try not to buy too much cuz I don't drink it and it has a shorter shelf life. Diet Coke is the 2nd best selling soda in the country so I always have that.
Keeping it simple would be a regular and diet cola and regular and diet "clear" , like Sprite would be enough. Add one or two local favorites. For me that would be Dr. Pepper and Mtn. Dew.
That said.....at festivals I'll add Root Beer and Orange cuz kids like them. I may even throw in some others, like, grape or Creme Soda, etc.
My very first event I brought 11 different flavors and lined them up on top my cart. Had a lot of folks buy only soda, especially kids. Kind of helped "decorate" my cart, too.
Nowadays I don't list what sodas I carry. When people ask, I point them to the cooler and let them dig around til they find what they want (or settle for). Can't say I've ever had a thirsty person buy nothing cuz I don't have their fave. They may settle for water.

bartl
  • Total Posts : 1208
Re:Soda? - Fri, 11/9/12 11:30 AM
One thing about polls. What people say they want and what they will actually buy are often not the same thing. Far too often, they say what they think they SHOULD want rather than what they actually want.

Bart

djdawg
  • Total Posts : 439
Re:Soda? - Fri, 11/9/12 11:58 AM
I do Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Dr. Pepper and bottled water.  I was SHOCKED at how well Dr. Pepper sells...especially among women...seriously.  It could be my #1 seller....

Lonestar Dogs
  • Total Posts : 37
Re:Soda? - Sat, 11/10/12 5:56 AM
DjDawg has the same mix I'm carrying. Coke, Diet Coke, Dr. Pepper, Sprite, Water. In Texas folks will just plain shoot ya if you don't have their Dr. Pepper! That being said...bottles or cans? I'm starting out with 20 oz bottles at a $1.50. Has anyone decided if bottles or cans sell better?

~Lonestar

chefbuba
Re:Soda? - Sat, 11/10/12 10:21 AM
The question is which has more profit, cans or bottles? Cans can be had for about .25

djdawg
  • Total Posts : 439
Re:Soda? - Sat, 11/10/12 11:37 PM
Wow I'm not sure where you guys are getting your pop at .25 a can?  Do you get direct deliveries from them?  I don't buy enough to do that so I'm either getting them at Walmart or Cash and Carry...usually average .35-.40 + a can.  Lonestar...I prefer cans just because it's a personal preference.  Plastic bottles don't cool down like cans do...the cans take up less space then bottles....and people buy pop from me just because it's "ice cold"...plastic bottles never get cold enough for my taste.....

chefbuba
Re:Soda? - Sun, 11/11/12 12:45 AM
Watch the sales at all the stores...Freddys, Safeway, whatever else is local to you.
I used to check the store ads every Wed morning online for soda sales and other stuff.
Costco is 9.99 for 36.... no tax (Astoria)so .28... but if you watch the sale ads every week, you will find stuff on sale. Another good place to check is Rite Aid & Walgreens, not somewhere you would think of buying soda, but they also have regular sales.

BpCBlake
Re:Soda? - Sun, 11/11/12 1:10 AM
restaurant depot

Lonestar Dogs
  • Total Posts : 37
Re:Soda? - Sun, 11/11/12 9:44 AM
Restaurant Depot has cases of 20 oz sodas for about $14.50 a case. You're looking at 0.60 per soda, selling at $1.50. Most of the folks I've talked to in the past prefer a bottle over a can especially if they are going into the workplace. A 20 oz bottle with lid is considered a spill proof container in the workplace where a lot of companies won't allow an open can.

~Lonestar

brickboo
  • Total Posts : 330
Re:Soda? - Sun, 11/11/12 11:03 AM
My wife watches the ads mostly in the weekend paper, because we just get the weekend paper. Most of the time she says Walgreen or Albertsons' has the best sales on can soda. She has bought 3 (12) packs for $9.50 and she's bought 4 (12) packs for $10 at Walgreen. This is because on Wednesdays here in Western Colorado, they give a 15% discount even with the sale prices.. So we buy a lot of soda on Wednesdays I guess!

She says she's also bought at Kmart because of special sales. If she is in the Walmart neighborhood they will match a sale price from a competitor. So, it seems that Walmart is catching people on soda unless they match a sale price. I get Nathans' Hot Dogs from Walmart. They usually have the best price in our area for the dogs. So if you're not a smart shopper you can get burned. I've never noticed good deals on soda at Walmart nor Sam's Club. 
I joke with my friends that my wife comes out of the store with 2 baskets of groceries and they owe her a couple of bucks after she hands them the bag full of coupons. Ha ha!

Foodbme
  • Total Posts : 9552
Re:Soda? - Mon, 11/12/12 1:39 AM
Around here, Supermarkets sell coke & pepsi for $2.50 a 12 pak on sale.
That's .20 cents a can!

BpCBlake
Re:Soda? - Mon, 11/12/12 2:05 AM
beer!
hot dogs dont taste good cooked in soda.

jcheese
Re:Soda? - Tue, 11/13/12 1:47 PM
Food Lion has Pepsi products four 12 packs for $11.00. That's 22.9 cents a can.

Randy H
  • Total Posts : 36
Re:Soda? - Wed, 11/14/12 10:47 AM
Today in the Meijer add: 2-24pac of pepsi-coke products=$11.00  22.9 pc. well, before tax.

samy5
  • Total Posts : 33
Re:Soda? - Wed, 11/14/12 3:27 PM
coke and dr pepper are about 70% of the sales.

jcheese
Re:Soda? - Wed, 11/14/12 5:48 PM
Regional favorites are an option in addition to the regular faves.
One around here is Cheerwine. Similar to Dr. Pepper, but unique. It costs more than others and rarely goes on sale. When it does, I buy it up.I think people appreciate you catering to their tastes.
I went to their website to see if I could get some marketing materials.Only thing I saw that I wanted was bumper stickers for $1.00 each. OK, that'll work. But they wanted over $9.00 shipping!! I sent them a note, explaining I sell their stuff, and I ain't paying nine bucks. E-mailed me back saying they would send them to me for free.Also asked if I wanted something larger.
Lesson here....if you offer a product, get the supplier to kick in something.
Next stop....Baconnaise.

jcheese
Re:Soda? - Wed, 11/21/12 6:33 PM
So, they sent me 3 of the stickers and an extra sign for free. Postage was $1.10.
When I send my thank you e-mail I will be asking about coupons.

hella good tacos
  • Total Posts : 112
Re:Soda? - Fri, 11/23/12 12:15 AM
I am with Jcheese.

I buy whatever is on sale. I keep a couple of varieties, mainly a cola (coke or pepsi) a diet, sprite or 7up, a ginger ale or rootbeer and water.  I honestly sell more water than soda, but always keep it on hand.