Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Five and dime store lunch counters?

Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 2 of 4, messages 31 to 60 of 95
Hepcat

• Total Posts: 374
Re:Five and dime store lunch counters? Thu, 10/18/12 10:45 AM (permalink)
ces1948

I seem to remember some lunch counters having small cans of campbell's soup on display. You picked one and they would heat it up for you, I guess in a sauce pan. Anyone remember that?

Absolutely! Most places had a heating unit supplied by Campbell's as part of the display stand as well. It consisted of two tall stainless steel cups with plastic handles which plugged into the unit and heated the soup electrically. This didn't require grill space as would a separate saucepan. After usage, a quick rinse in water and the unit would be ready for the next customer.

brisketboy

• Total Posts: 1058
    Re:Five and dime store lunch counters? Thu, 10/18/12 10:56 AM (permalink)
    WOW, I remember that, tomato and chicken noodle were the only selections I ever saw. But yeah, that is so cool, I have not been down this memory lane in quite some time.

Hepcat

Re:Five and dime store lunch counters? Thu, 10/18/12 11:00 AM (permalink)
      kaszeta
      Yes, the former "Post Office Fruit Luncheonette" in Manchester, NH still had this in 2003 (they closed several years ago, and the building has been refurbed as the "PO Fruit Diner", but, to my knowledge, hasn't actually reopened yet), with special electric warming mugs that plugged into a little unit. 

That place was a perfect 1950s time capsule

Mmmmmmmm! My kind of place! Particularly if you add waitresses in light green uniforms with lacy aprons and perky little hats! Perky little waitresses are nice too of course.

Hepcat

Re:Five and dime store lunch counters? Thu, 10/18/12 11:02 AM (permalink)
        brisketboy

....I have not been down this memory lane in quite some time.

I'm good at that!

HollyDolly

• Total Posts: 1066
          Re:Five and dime store lunch counters? Thu, 10/18/12 11:12 AM (permalink)
          I remeber going with a friend and her mom to Woolworth's at Wonderland Mall and eating there back in San Antonio in the 1960s. Now Joske's at Las Palmas Shopping Center was a department store, but they had a lunch counter we would eat there  when ever momma got her hair done .I most of the time got their enchiladas.Also , I believe the Boston Stores in Milwaukee had a lunch counter too years ago.I seem to recall eating there a few times whne we visited relatives in Milwaukee,and we would go out shopping.
          There is in Seguin ,Texas a dime store that has a lunch counter, though i never ate there.Maybe I'll take a trip out to Seguin this Saturday just for fun.I thoink it was the Vivoroux store,which had a fire quite a few years ago.They did rebuild the store, but maybe it's in the place next door.

aloysius50

Re:Five and dime store lunch counters? Thu, 10/18/12 11:44 AM (permalink)
            rumaki

Going to the Woolworth's lunch counter was a ritual when I was a child in the early 1960s.  When I was in grade school (grades 1-6), our first day of class was only a half day. We'd get our school supplies list, and my mother would take me to Woolworth's to get my supplies and to have lunch.  I always had a hot dog on a buttered, toasted, New England-style bun, and a fountain Coke (which was a real treat, because our parents only allowed us, usually, to have one soft drink a week, on Saturday evenings).

One of the department stores in Rochester, NY (where I had my first job after getting my law degree), McCurdy's, had a lunch counter like the one you described. This was in 1979-81; I have no idea whether it still does or not, or whether the store still exists. 

And the old Marshall Fields State Street store (now Macy's) in Chicago (where I went to college) also had one, but not in the basement -- it was upstairs.

Sadly, not only is McCurdy's gone but most of downtown Rochester is now empty. Last year they tore down Midtown Plaza (one of the first indoor malls in the US) to put up office buildings.
            <message edited by aloysius50 on Thu, 10/18/12 11:45 AM>

kaszeta

Re:Five and dime store lunch counters? Thu, 10/18/12 1:09 PM (permalink)
              Hepcat

Mmmmmmmm! My kind of place! Particularly if you add waitresses in light green uniforms with lacy aprons and perky little hats! Perky little waitresses are nice too of course.

When it was open (they closed in 2009), the same pair of sisters (named Effie and Kay, I kid you not) had been running that counter since 1962, without a break aside from their annual week off each July.  The place closed when they decided to retire due to health concerns (Kay died in 2010).

3 Olives

• Total Posts: 101
                Re:Five and dime store lunch counters? Thu, 10/18/12 4:58 PM (permalink)
                Hepcat

didn't mind as I could peruse Great Garloo and the Aurora monster model kits in the toy department, the goldfish, budgies and little turtles in the pet department and the bulk candies.

Great Garloo was the best toy I ever owned! My Mom would take me to Rea and Derrick for a grilled cheese, fries, and cherry Coke.

rumaki

• Total Posts: 967
                  Re:Five and dime store lunch counters? Thu, 10/18/12 6:05 PM (permalink)
                  aloysius50:
                  I am chagrined to hear that about downtown Rochester.  I worked at what was then Nixon Hargrave, in the Lincoln Tower.  I often took the bus or walked to work (I had an apartment off Park Avenue), but if I drove, I parked in Midtown Plaza.  I loved going to B. Forman's there to buy my office clothes. I suppose B. Forman is gone, too!

carolina bob

• Total Posts: 3420
                    Re:Five and dime store lunch counters? Thu, 10/18/12 10:11 PM (permalink)
                    3 Olives

Great Garloo was the best toy I ever owned! My Mom would take me to Rea and Derrick for a grilled cheese, fries, and cherry Coke.

The Great Garloo... what a fantastic toy. Two feet tall, green and scaly, and he did what I commanded him to do. Marx brought Garloo out for Christmas of '61, the same time that Ideal released the almost-as-big Robot Commando. Being a monster movie fan, I wanted them both ( "Garloo Vs. Robot Commando", a Roger Corman production. Now playing at a drive-in near you! ) but they were both a bit pricey, so I had to choose one or the other. Needless to say, it was Garloo that was under the tree Christmas morning. I had a heck of a lot of fun with him for a couple of months, until he fell off of the kitchen table....     

will_work_4_bbq

• Total Posts: 400
                      Re:Five and dime store lunch counters? Thu, 10/18/12 10:37 PM (permalink)
                      Here you go Hepcat:
                      http://www.urbanspoon.com/u/menu/1426765?p=1

They even have the soups!

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4899
                        Re:Five and dime store lunch counters? Thu, 10/18/12 11:23 PM (permalink)
                        Hepcat

ces1948

I seem to remember some lunch counters having small cans of campbell's soup on display. You picked one and they would heat it up for you, I guess in a sauce pan. Anyone remember that?

Absolutely! Most places had a heating unit supplied by Campbell's as part of the display stand as well. It consisted of two tall stainless steel cups with plastic handles which plugged into the unit and heated the soup electrically. This didn't require grill space as would a separate saucepan. After usage, a quick rinse in water and the unit would be ready for the next customer.

I remember those soup displays.

Twinwillow

Re:Five and dime store lunch counters? Thu, 10/18/12 11:33 PM (permalink)
                          I don't know if they did this in your towns but in Brooklyn, they used to sell what was called a Charlotte Russe pastry just outside the front door of the five and dime Woolworth stores. It was a round white cardboard container with a wavy top. It held a piece of sponge cake on the bottom and whipped cream on the top.
                          You pushed it up from the bottom to eat all of it. It was only 10 cents and sooooo good!
                          <message edited by Twinwillow on Fri, 10/19/12 2:03 PM>

Twinwillow

Re:Five and dime store lunch counters? Thu, 10/18/12 11:38 PM (permalink)
                            Found pictures of them on Google images! 

http://www.capitalnewyork...k-city-charlotte-russe

http://www.tildas.com/ima...tte%20Russe%20Cups.JPG
                            <message edited by Twinwillow on Thu, 10/18/12 11:52 PM>

Hepcat

Re:Five and dime store lunch counters? Fri, 10/19/12 12:24 AM (permalink)
                              aloysius50

Sadly, not only is McCurdy's gone but most of downtown Rochester is now empty. Last year they tore down Midtown Plaza (one of the first indoor malls in the US) to put up office buildings.

Downtown Toronto is still vibrant, but the shopping available today in downtown London, Ontario is just a shadow of what was available 25 years ago. Gone from the downtown area are both Woolworth stores, the Kresge store, the Metropolitan store and the Zellers store. Gone are the full fledged Eaton's and Simpson's department stores as well. Gone from the East London strip a kilometre down Dundas Street are the Metropolitan and Kresge (or was it Woolworth?) stores. Gone too is East London's full fledged Hudson's department store.

The only department store that remains is venerable old Kingsmill's which traces its beginnings to the latter part of the nineteenth century. Here's a picture from 1962 of the exterior of Kingsmill's:

And the interior these days:

Kingsmill's is the only building I know that still has an old fashioned elevator with an operator.

Downtown London has been basically transformed into an entertainment area. It's sad though the way the downtown shopping districts in so many cities have died in the face of competition from suburban malls. I'm a downtown kitty myself and I miss the downtown stores.

<message edited by Hepcat on Fri, 10/19/12 1:06 PM>

totillie

• Total Posts: 71
                                Re:Five and dime store lunch counters? Fri, 10/19/12 1:41 AM (permalink)
                                My mom was one of three 'sandwich ladies' at the long-gone Woolworth's in the West Warwick, RI mall - back in the early 70's. Complete with the 'sandwich ladies in the front window for all to see' setup. When I was home from Uni for weekends, we used to go over to the mall at about 1 PM and hog the window and make faces at her. And then go in and eat. They were damn good sandwiches!

Twinwillow

Re:Five and dime store lunch counters? Fri, 10/19/12 12:23 PM (permalink)
                                  @totillie: The best thing about (any) sandwich back in those days was, you didn't have to stretch your mouth wide open to take a bite.

Hepcat

Re:Five and dime store lunch counters? Fri, 10/19/12 12:25 PM (permalink)
                                    carolina bob

3 Olives

Great Garloo was the best toy I ever owned! 

The Great Garloo... what a fantastic toy. Two feet tall, green and scaly, and he did what I commanded him to do. Marx brought Garloo out for Christmas of '61, the same time that Ideal released the almost-as-big Robot Commando. Being a monster movie fan, I wanted them both ( "Garloo Vs. Robot Commando", a Roger Corman production. Now playing at a drive-in near you! ) but they were both a bit pricey, so I had to choose one or the other. Needless to say, it was Garloo that was under the tree Christmas morning. I had a heck of a lot of fun with him for a couple of months, until he fell off of the kitchen table....     

It was at the downtown Kresge store in 1961 or early 1962 that I first saw a Great Garloo. I was enchanted and pointed it out to my mother, but at a price of close to $15 it was just not to be.

Here's the TV commercial for Great Garloo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0p0WRhAp9o 

Here's his rival Robot Commando:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_awi5nS7w8Y

I mean how could a young fellow resist?

tfrielin

• Total Posts: 440
                                      Re:Five and dime store lunch counters? Fri, 10/19/12 12:37 PM (permalink)
                                      During its hey day in the '60s, the Eastwood Mall in Birmingham, AL had no shortage of lunch counters.

For starters, my favorite was at Kresge's--you could get aa burger, fries and a cherry Coke there for maybe, eighty cents.

Then you had the counter at Newberry's. and across the Mall from that you had the counter at the Ligget Rexall Drug Store.

And if that wasn't enough, you had yet another lunch counter at Kidddieland--the pinball/amusement place in the Mall.

Finally, if you walked across the parking lot to the Eastwood Bowling Alley you had still another lunch coounter--for us tykes who couldn't partake of the fabled Boom Boom Room there---that had to wait until later years.

Sadly, all gone now--the Eastwood Mall was razed in 2006 for yet another Super Walmart.

tfrielin

Re:Five and dime store lunch counters? Fri, 10/19/12 12:55 PM (permalink)
                                        Heartbreaksoup

There's a pretty good lunch counter at ADD Drugs in Athens.  A couple of hundred mils southwest, of course, there's Dinglewood Pharmacy in Columbus, but I don't really believe that anybody actually buys anything there other than lunch.

Absolutely--ADD Drug's lunch counter is still going strong here in Athens. They drop the fries and grill the burger (get a Double Burger) when you order them---just like in the old days.  The two very nice lunch ladies will take care of you--just as if it was 1965 again.

Hepcat

Re:Five and dime store lunch counters? Fri, 10/19/12 1:00 PM (permalink)
                                          will_work_4_bbq

Here you go Hepcat:

http://www.urbanspoon.com/u/menu/1426765?p=1

They even have the soups!

That's fabulous! But why are you keeping the location of Green Valley Drugs a secret? And what's the food there like? Is the atmosphere just right too?

tfrielin

Sadly, all gone now--the Eastwood Mall was razed in 2006 for yet another Super Walmart.

That sucks big time. All those lunch counters gone to make way for another, shudder, Walmart.

tfrielin

Re:Five and dime store lunch counters? Fri, 10/19/12 1:47 PM (permalink)
                                            Yankeedoodle

Ahhh The hotdog baskets at Woolworth. I'd go look at toys until it was served while my mother waited. She'd get a turkey club. we also had a McCRory's for banana splits...you'd pop a balloon and and get a slip to pay any where from a penny (never happened to me) to 99 cents (almost always). They also had the grilled dogs on a buttered toasted bun....MMMMMMMMMMMM.

How about Gilcrest's Drug Store in Mt. Broook Village?  surely, that's still still there, no?

Hepcat

Re:Five and dime store lunch counters? Fri, 10/19/12 1:59 PM (permalink)

Twinwillow

I don't if they did this in your towns but in Brooklyn, they used to sell what was called a Charlotte Russe pastry just outside the front door of the five and dime Woolworth stores. It was a round white cardboard container with a wavy top. It held a piece of sponge cake on the bottom and whipped cream on the top.

You pushed it up from the bottom to eat all of it. It was only 10 cents and sooooo good!

Evidently Charlotte Russe pastries were a New York specific institution for decades that faded almost entirely away in the seventies. Holtermann's Bakery on Staten Island is one of the very few places that still makes them:

I'd never heard of these Charlotte Russe pastries until Flowercat, who grew up in New York City, told me about them. Flowercat is/was a Roadfood member but she's forgotten her password and the email address she used to join is defunct so she can't get a replacement. Pity, because she can be a very prolific poster.

<message edited by Hepcat on Sat, 10/20/12 5:53 PM>

Twinwillow

Re:Five and dime store lunch counters? Fri, 10/19/12 2:34 PM (permalink)
                                                Hepcat

Twinwillow

I don't if they did this in your towns but in Brooklyn, they used to sell what was called a Charlotte Russe pastry just outside the front door of the five and dime Woolworth stores. It was a round white cardboard container with a wavy top. It held a piece of sponge cake on the bottom and whipped cream on the top.

Evidently Charlotte Russe pastries were a New York specific institution for decades that faded almost entirely away in the seventies. Holtermann's Bakery on Staten Island is one of the very few places that still makes them:

I'd never heard of these Charlotte Russe pastries until Flowercat, whose parents grew up in Brooklyn, told me about them. Flowercat is/was a Roadfood member but she's forgotten her password and the email address she used to join is defunct so she can't get a replacement. Pity, because she can be a very prolific poster.

In reference to your post, click on the link:
                                                http://www.capitalnewyork...k-city-charlotte-russe

cavandre

• Total Posts: 1597
                                                  Re:Five and dime store lunch counters? Fri, 10/19/12 2:47 PM (permalink)
                                                  The McCrory's in downtown Yonkers, NY used to have a Charlotte Russe stand just outside their lunch counter section. Just next door, the W.T. Grant served a mean roller dog on a buttered, toasted New England bun. Either (of both) made a great after school treat.
                                                  <message edited by cavandre on Fri, 10/19/12 2:48 PM>

Hepcat

• Location: Toronto, Ontario
                                                    Re:Five and dime store lunch counters? Fri, 10/19/12 2:59 PM (permalink)
                                                    cavandre

The McCrory's in downtown Yonkers, NY used to have a Charlotte Russe stand just outside their lunch counter section.

What's sad is that it's always the past tense.

Twinwillow

Re:Five and dime store lunch counters? Fri, 10/19/12 3:33 PM (permalink)
                                                      Hepcat

cavandre

The McCrory's in downtown Yonkers, NY used to have a Charlotte Russe stand just outside their lunch counter section.

What's sad is that it's always the past tense.

Sorry but, so true!

will_work_4_bbq

• Total Posts: 400
                                                        • Location: Birmingham, AL
                                                        Re:Five and dime store lunch counters? Fri, 10/19/12 4:08 PM (permalink)
                                                        That's fabulous! But why are you keeping the location of Green Valley Drugs a secret? And what's the food there like? Is the atmosphere just right too?

Not a secret at all!  As I mentioned, it is in Hoover, AL, a suburb of Birmingham.  I have only had the burgers and shakes which are outstanding.  The rest of the menu looks enticing as well, but it's hard to get by that sizzle of real beef on the flat top.  While it's not the largest lunch counter I can recall, it does give one a sense of times past with it's formica counter and stools.  I did a little research, and found that it has been in continuous operation since 1961!  Wow!

Hepcat

• Location: Toronto, Ontario
                                                          Re:Five and dime store lunch counters? Fri, 10/19/12 4:33 PM (permalink)
                                                          Sorry! I thought you were adding another name to the list as opposed to expanding on one from the first page. It sounds exactly like my kind of place though.

If only I could take a few months off work, buy a system wide pass on Amtrak or Greyhound, and just travel here and there. Or maybe get a small camper. But retirement for me is still a long way away!

totillie

• Total Posts: 71
                                                            • Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
                                                            Re:Five and dime store lunch counters? Sat, 10/20/12 1:04 AM (permalink)
                                                            @Twinwillow  --  exactly!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 2 of 4, messages 31 to 60 of 95

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com