The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 7
Author
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4275
2012/10/24 13:29:36 (permalink)

The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13

One of the best things to come out of a Contingent Meet ‘N Greet is the discussion of where and when the next Meet ‘N Greet will be held.  Last week’s tour of Milwaukee’s Bay View neighborhood was no different.  AlyceinRoadfoodland, a long distance Contingent member from California, made it known that she would be returning to the area in February, 2013, and asked if anyone wants to do another tour at that time.

As it turns out, I’d been thinking lately about a unique little excursion.  Borne out of a combination of laziness and civic boosterism, I’ve been pondering a run through my current hometown of Des Plaines, Illinois.  We’re a fairly unassuming suburb of Chicago, yet we have some really outstanding dining choices ranging from humble Hot Dog stands to semi-fine dining options.  There’s an abundance of ethnic restaurants and grocery opportunities as well.

I’ll start compiling a list of possibilities now and we can whittle it down between now and February 23rd, a Saturday.

Save the date folks.  Des Plaines will never know what hit them.

Buddy
post edited by BuddyRoadhouse - 2012/10/24 13:31:08

192 Replies Related Threads

ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8490
    Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 2012/10/24 13:59:17 (permalink)
    I am in!

abe_froeman
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 707
    Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 2012/10/24 16:57:30 (permalink)
    Already on the calendar.

Just an FYI for anyone who wasn't privy to the conversation on Saturday- February 23rd is pretty set-in-stone.  Alyce is coming in for a Bull's game that Thursday, so unless that doesn't pan out for some reason, that's the date we're going. 

*Fingers crossed for no blizzards that day*
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5148
    Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 2012/10/24 21:00:07 (permalink)
    abe_froeman

Don't hate on the DQ, yo.

I'm looking forward to hearing Quijote say, "Des Plaines!  Des Plaines!"
    quijote
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 649
    Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 2012/10/24 21:21:46 (permalink)
    ScreamingChicken

abe_froeman

Don't hate on the DQ, yo.

I'm looking forward to hearing Quijote say, "Des Plaines!  Des Plaines!"

Hey, I'm not that short. Don't hate on the Q!

Buddy, I'm looking forward to this DP tour-- I just hope the weather cooperates.

chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3308
    Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 2012/10/24 21:26:09 (permalink)
    So let's see....
    Paradise Pup for a char cheddar burger....Buddy, you can walk there.
    Hala Kahiki Lounge for a "Suffering Bastard"....Buddy, you can walk there, too.
    Gene & Jude's for a dog and fries....Buddy, Nina & I will carry you there after a few at Hala Kahiki.
    Russell's for a BBQ beef sandwich...,Buddy, we'll drive you there since there are no sidewalks.
    Johnnie's for a beef and Italian ice.....Buddy, you can walk there, too.
    Jimmy's for a Polish & fries.....Buddy, we'll drive you since North Avenue is sketchy and it's residents detest those wearing cowboy boots. After that, we'll hail you a cab.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 2012/10/25 00:51:22 (permalink)
    Paradise Pup's Char Cheddar Burger is definitely on the list!  While those other places might be worth a visit sometime (except Russell's phony barbecue), they're not in Des Plaines, thus disqualifying them from this particular tour.  Believe me, there's enough in this town to fill two or three tours.  Specific examples coming soon.

Buddy
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3759
    Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 2012/10/25 01:11:23 (permalink)
    I envision dining a la snow-covered trunk.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 2012/10/25 02:03:14 (permalink)
    Bring some of that Central Florida heat up here and warm things up for us.  And don't forget the Gooey Butter Cake.

Buddy
    stricken_detective
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2330
    Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 2012/10/25 08:47:24 (permalink)
    And the Key limes...
    abe_froeman
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 2012/10/25 09:24:40 (permalink)
    Ugh, Russell's.  Barbeque del Gringo.  If you can't smell smoke outside or *inside* the restaurant, it ain't barbeque!

The early bird stop should be L & L Snack Shop...probably can't be a regular stop because it's soooo small, as you can see from their Yelp pictures, and it fills up fast- there's no way you could get all of us in there at once.  It will be worth getting there early.  Split food with someone else, though, because their portions are HUGE!
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4544
    Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 2012/10/25 10:26:02 (permalink)
    abe_froeman, Be sure to order the Italian Beef Omelet at L & L.  And don't let Buddy take credit for its creation.

irisarbor
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 610
    Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 2012/10/25 10:32:23 (permalink)
    I cast my vote for Hala Kahiki Lounge!!!
    I love tropical drinks.

post edited by irisarbor - 2012/10/25 11:06:52
    abe_froeman
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 2012/10/25 11:03:44 (permalink)
    joerogo

abe_froeman, Be sure to order the Italian Beef Omelet at L & L.  And don't let Buddy take credit for its creation.

Holy crap, I had no idea such a thing even existed there.  I usually stick to pancakes/eggs/a meat or two when I go there, but I like Italian beef pizza, so why not this?  I'll keep it in mind next time we go!
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 2012/10/25 15:14:56 (permalink)
    Russell's, what was I thinking? Jello, maybe!
    AlyceinRoadfoodland
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 31
    Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 2012/10/26 19:50:55 (permalink)
    abe_froeman

Already on the calendar.

Just an FYI for anyone who wasn't privy to the conversation on Saturday- February 23rd is pretty set-in-stone.  Alyce is coming in for a Bull's game that Thursday, so unless that doesn't pan out for some reason, that's the date we're going. 

I don't want to start anything here but I am coming in to see the Miami Heat not that other team!
    ChicagoIrish
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 74
    Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 2012/10/26 21:01:11 (permalink)
    AlyceinRoadfoodland
    I don't want to start anything here but I am coming in to see the Miami Heat not that other team!

Nothing wrong with wanting to see the second best team in the East 
    AlyceinRoadfoodland
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 31
    Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 2012/10/27 14:55:30 (permalink)
    ChicagoIrish

AlyceinRoadfoodland

And I guess that team would be the Chicago Bulls 95-96?
    ALL GOOD
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 76
    Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 2012/10/27 17:57:01 (permalink)
    How about Bob Chinn's ???
    stricken_detective
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2330
    Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 2012/10/28 04:13:22 (permalink)
    AlyceinRoadfoodland

ChicagoIrish

AlyceinRoadfoodland

And I guess that team would be the Chicago Bulls 95-96?

You just made me choke a little bit on my pre-hangover drink. Choke. Like the Bulls. hahahaha

Bob Chinn's is not in Des Plaines. We're sticking to Des Plaines.
    post edited by stricken_detective - 2012/10/28 04:15:19
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3160
    Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 2012/10/28 17:57:28 (permalink)
    I'm going to pass on this outing.
    post edited by MilwFoodlovers - 2012/10/31 11:54:58
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3160
    Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 2012/10/28 17:57:29 (permalink)
    I'll be back then from Jamaica. If the outing isn't too heavily based on ff, I'm in.
    Is Burt's a possibility?
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 2012/10/28 18:39:15 (permalink)
    I'm assuming "ff" is "Fast Food"?  There will be some high quality fast food (Burgers, Hot Dogs, and Polish) stops, but there will also be plenty of ethnic (Vietnamese, Mexican, Salvadoran, Eastern European, etc.) locations mixed in.  Also, some non-eating grocery stops, including the market where I get those great barrel pickles and kielbasa I've brought to several of JRPfeff's gatherings.

My plan is to list and describe, between now and the end of January, all the noteworthy places we can visit .  All the stops will be up for discussion and we can make an itinerary based on the group's wishes.

Hope you'll make it.

Buddy

P.S. Due to the size of our group and the nature of Burt's business model, a visit there is probably not in the cards.

B.
    post edited by BuddyRoadhouse - 2012/10/28 18:40:38
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8490
    Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 2012/10/28 19:40:57 (permalink)
    What I am looking forward to is Des Plaines, Buddy's stomping grounds. While Bay View has changed( for the better) that was my neighborhood for almost 20 years, and i was proud to be down there with you all.What I am saying is Buddy wont disappoint me!

JRPfeff
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2715
    Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 2012/10/28 20:37:20 (permalink)
    Burt's ala trunk could be a chilly possibility.  We could even do a pizza comparison with that other place.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 2012/10/28 20:40:00 (permalink)
    Tell you what, if there aren't enough worthy Roadfood stops in Des Plaines, we'll see if we can't work out a carry out order from Burt's and "that other place" for an ala trunk taste test.

Buddy
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 2012/10/31 02:58:03 (permalink)
    I think I’ll start discussing options for stops now, giving you some brief descriptions of the places under consideration, plus some pros and cons for each.  I’ll try to group them in categories and we can narrow down the final choices over the next four months.

Despite Des Plaines' pedestrian existence, when it comes to quality fast food, we have an embarrassment of riches.  We have four top notch Hot Dog Stands, plus a new high end Burger Joint, American Wildburger, that will open in the next few weeks (Report on that to come).  The Hot Dog options include the aforementioned Paradise Pup, Mr. Pup, Rand Red Hots, and Happy Dogs.  I’ll try to give as honest an account of each without showing any personal bias.

Here’s the breakdown:

Paradise Pup
    Why we should go: The Pup has one of the best Cheeseburgers in the entire Chicagoland area.  Char grilled to order and served on a challah bun with Merkt’s cheese and all the toppings; it is spectacular!  Also, great Char Dogs and seasonal shakes.

Why we should think twice: Long lines, limited indoor seating (a big consideration for February), and they serve a frozen institutional variety of fries.  HOWEVER…You can get those fries layered with Merkt’s Cheddar, sour cream, and crumbled bacon.

Mr. Pup
    Why we should go : They have an extensive fast food menu including my fave, a great Grilled Chicken Sandwich.  Also, while they serve frozen institutional fries, they use a “steak fry” cut and cook it up absolutely perfectly.  Crispy, slightly chewy skin yields to a steaming hot fluffy/creamy interior that is French Fry Heaven.

Why we should think twice: Although the menu is extensive, and the Hot Dogs are good, it is still a fairly ordinary experience overall.  Sometimes it’s better to do less stuff and do it really well.

Rand Red Hots
    Why we should go: A brand new Hot Dog Joint in a refurbished classic Drive-In.  Rand Red Hots has chosen to go the “Gene & Jude’s” route on a number of levels:

They offer a very limited menu and put out an excellent product.  Steamed Dogs, Char Dogs, Polish, Maxwell St. Polish (The Maxwell is char-grilled and served with mustard, grilled onions, and sport peppers.  The standard is served with mustard, raw onion, and relish), and Tamales; plain or on the bun.  That’s it.  No burgers, no Gyros, no Fish Sandwich, no Chicken Nuggets.

They also follow the G&J model by wrapping fresh cut fries right up in the wax paper with the Hot Dog.  I like their fries better than G&J because they are less greasy and cooked a little more well done, giving them a firmer, crisper texture and better flavor.  Also, unlike Gene & Jude’s, you can get ketchup for your fries and no one looks at you like you just committed a murder.

Very good milk shakes, too; but not as many specialized flavors as Paradise Pup.

Why we should think twice: No reason at all.  Good food, easy parking, reasonable prices, and good service.

Happy Dogs
    Why we should go: Burgers almost as good as Paradise Pup, plus a full fast food menu.  I tried a Burger here a few weeks ago and was genuinely surprised at how good it was.  Fresh, hand packed beef served on a bun similar to PP’s version, plus it was griddled on all four sides!  They even managed to cook a ¼ lb. Burger to medium rare!  Also, fresh cut fries, a missing element at Paradise Pup

Why we should think twice: Parking can be tough around this place.  There are “No Parking” signs on both sides of the side street Happy Dogs is located on.  Very limited parking on the busy man street.  If we can overcome that issue, this might be a better alternative to Paradise Pup’s limited seating problem.

American Wildburger
    Why we should go: They’re not open yet, so I’ll need to post info as it becomes available.  They have a good concept: 100% organic, grass fed beef with fresh toppings, served at a reasonable price.  Also, Turkey and Chicken Burgers.  Fresh cut fries, too.  As business develops, they may follow “Hot Doug’s" path, offering gourmet and wild game meats, but in Burger form rather than encased meats.

Why we should think twice: Same as Paradise Pup; limited seating in a very small space.  More on American Wildburger once they’ve opened up.

That's it for the Fast Food entries.  I think we should pick two of the five; one for Burgers and one for Encased Meats.  Looking forward to the feedback and reasoning for your picks.

Next up, I'll start laying out some of the Ethnic Food options.  As I said before, just off the top of my head, we have multiple Mexican choices, Salvadoran, Eastern European, and Vietnamese.  More to come as I do my research.

Buddy
    post edited by BuddyRoadhouse - 2012/10/31 02:59:53
    JRPfeff
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2715
    Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 2012/11/02 16:54:11 (permalink)
    Buddy,

You are making this way too complicated and way too democratic.  A top-down directive on where ve vill eat from our fearless leader is the way to go.  Then we can point fingers if any place is less than stellar.

Jim

p.s. We found SE Wisconsin's latest dining hot spot today... the Villiage of Genesee Depot.  There are three really good diners/restaurants within two blocks.  Genesee Depot ain't much bigger than those two blocks.
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 2012/11/02 23:31:48 (permalink)
    Buddy,
    I like your choices and reasons. If you recall, in the early days, we had a small committee for our first tour and the second and third tour, I set up solo. You chose the tour of your back yard and that's good enough for me to go. Go for it!

CSD
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 2012/11/03 02:45:36 (permalink)
    I plan to do whatever I want anyway.  I just thought I'd fill the next four months with some pointless discussion of what's available and why it's worthy of our attention.  So, how about a little more futile input.

Buddy

P.S. I actually do value your opinions--up to a point--and appreciate whatever you have to say on the matter.  Up to a point.

B.
    Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 7
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1