The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

A Guide To Making The Best Boudin You Will Ever Put In Your Mouth

scrumptiouschef

• Total Posts: 639
A Guide To Making The Best Boudin You Will Ever Put In Your Mouth Wed, 10/24/12 2:00 PM (permalink)
Recipe:
Ingredients
4 c. Rice, medium grain
7.5 c. Stock, pork
6 bunches Onion, green, tops only, chopped finely
3 lbs Pork belly, roasted, finely chopped
12 oz Liver, pork, cooked and finely chopped
8 each Intestines, pig, soaked in hot water
Salt
Pepper, black
Pepper, cayenne
Method
* bring stock to boil
* Add rice, cook according to package directions
* Blend hot rice with onion tops, pork belly, and liver, season heavily with salt and peppers
* Thread intestine onto extruder, tie knot in end, feed rice mixture into feeder funnel at top of machine, as stuffed intestine reaches 6" in length, spin it to form sausage shape, continue til intestine reaches end
* Repeat til intestines are depleted

pic + tasting notes http://www.scrumptiousche...Ever-Put-In-Your-Mouth

FriedClamFanatic

• Total Posts: 1496
    Re:A Guide To Making The Best Boudin You Will Ever Put In Your Mouth Fri, 05/24/13 10:59 PM (permalink)
    Lovely!!!  Not being Cajun or even close to it, I had some in NO a few years back and fell in love..........only to find I should have waited about 50-100 miles West on the way to visit my son and his wife in Houston.

I noticed on your Website you mention other variations ( I think I actually had Crawfish ones)......does the Boudin refer to the rice inclusion?  To be honest, up until that trip I had shied away from it since I thought the boudin referred to blood and in blood sausages or black pudding......not my favs

scrumptiouschef

Re:A Guide To Making The Best Boudin You Will Ever Put In Your Mouth Sat, 05/25/13 11:22 AM (permalink)
      Boudin sausage always has rice, that's what makes it boudin-except for boudin blanc de rethel, a French variation that contains no starch. There is boudin noir, boudin rouge and boudin blanc.
      <message edited by scrumptiouschef on Sat, 05/25/13 11:23 AM>

scrumptiouschef

Re:A Guide To Making The Best Boudin You Will Ever Put In Your Mouth Wed, 03/12/14 10:57 PM (permalink)
        We're stoked to be putting out a brand new boudin next month at our East Austin Charcuterie Project Pop Up. We're combining Benton's Country Ham with smoked shrimp,+green onions, Hatch chiles, pork stock and long grain rice.

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3552
          Re:A Guide To Making The Best Boudin You Will Ever Put In Your Mouth Wed, 03/12/14 11:32 PM (permalink)
          Scrumptiouschef, it looks good. For a home cook, where do you think I could find the pig intestines? 

FriedClamFanatic

• Total Posts: 1496
            Re:A Guide To Making The Best Boudin You Will Ever Put In Your Mouth Wed, 03/12/14 11:39 PM (permalink)
            EdSails

Scrumptiouschef, it looks good. For a home cook, where do you think I could find the pig intestines? 

Try Sausagemaker.com.........they have lots of different casings

EdSails

Re:A Guide To Making The Best Boudin You Will Ever Put In Your Mouth Wed, 03/12/14 11:55 PM (permalink)
              FriedClamFanatic

EdSails

Try Sausagemaker.com.........they have lots of different casings

Thanks, FriedClamFanatic. I will check them out. I'd like to find a local option also, so I can just go and buy a little to try out the technique. 

scrumptiouschef

Re:A Guide To Making The Best Boudin You Will Ever Put In Your Mouth Thu, 03/13/14 12:27 AM (permalink)
                We bought 'em off Amazon til we found a grocery store (HEB) that carried them. Soak in the fridge for 24 hours for maximum pliability, rinse very, very thoroughly and have at it.

mar52

• Total Posts: 7593
                  Re:A Guide To Making The Best Boudin You Will Ever Put In Your Mouth Thu, 03/13/14 12:47 AM (permalink)
                  I think you can also make boudin patties with no need for casings.

I love boudin and buy it whenever I see it which isn't that often.

Or, I buy it from Poches.  I like their seasoning the best.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9540
                    Re:A Guide To Making The Best Boudin You Will Ever Put In Your Mouth Thu, 03/13/14 2:38 AM (permalink)
                    EdSails

Check with some meat markets/supermarkets that make their own sausages. They'll usually sell you some. Keep them moist until ready to use.

EdSails

Re:A Guide To Making The Best Boudin You Will Ever Put In Your Mouth Thu, 03/13/14 3:20 AM (permalink)
                      scrumptiouschef

We bought 'em off Amazon til we found a grocery store (HEB) that carried them. Soak in the fridge for 24 hours for maximum pliability, rinse very, very thoroughly and have at it.

I'll try one of the meat markets here and see if I can buy just a few for a test. Thanks.

brisketboy

• Total Posts: 1055
                        Re:A Guide To Making The Best Boudin You Will Ever Put In Your Mouth Thu, 03/13/14 10:54 AM (permalink)
                        Scrumptiouschef I missed your pop-up cause I was out of town. That would have been one of my absolute go-to events. Having said that, who in your estimation makes and/or sells the best boudin in town. And I don't mind driving.

scrumptiouschef

Re:A Guide To Making The Best Boudin You Will Ever Put In Your Mouth Thu, 03/13/14 12:22 PM (permalink)

scrumptiouschef

Re:A Guide To Making The Best Boudin You Will Ever Put In Your Mouth Thu, 03/13/14 1:36 PM (permalink)
                            mar52

I think you can also make boudin patties with no need for casings.

I love boudin and buy it whenever I see it which isn't that often.

Or, I buy it from Poches.  I like their seasoning the best.

Poche's boudin is good but their real strength is their meat n 3 cafeteria line. We always stop there on the way to NOLA to load up some big plates and sit in their taxidermy lounge.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                              • No New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                              • Read Message
                              • Post New Thread
                              • Reply to message
                              • Post New Poll
                              • Submit Vote
                              • Post reward post
                              • Delete my own posts
                              • Delete my own threads
                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com