Hurricane Sandy.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Sirloin
2012/11/02 21:40:17
Maybe this isn't the right place but, I'm asking you to please donate what you can to the Red Cross for Hurricane Sandy Relief.

I've been away from NYC for many years but, a large chunk of my heart is still there.

Please! Do what you can. When Katrina hit New Orleans, I donated money to the Red Cross.

When tornadoes ripped thru the mid-west, I donated to the Red Cross.

So please, do whatever you can to ease the unbelievable hardship of the people of the Jersey Shore , Staten Island, and wherever assistance is needed on the North East coast of the USA!

Thank you, my friends.

billyboy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Hurricane Sandy. 2012/11/03 00:09:21
Thanks Twinwillow!  A lot of people are still reeling from this disaster in NYC.  Many people are still without power and water. Many of the emergency repsonders are putting in long hours and are exahusted and hungry.  Anything you can do is greatly appreciated!  Thanks!
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Hurricane Sandy. 2012/11/03 03:52:09
While I admire your efforts, I prefer to give my donations to the Salvation Army.  
They have a much lower Administrative cost so more money gets to the people who need it.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:Hurricane Sandy. 2012/11/03 10:51:36
It doesn't make any difference who you donate to. The fact that you donate to any official organization that will provide help is all that matters.
Thank you.

My closest cousin lives in Woodmere on the south coast of Long Island about 22 miles from Manhattan. She's only 3-1/2 miles from the Ocean. She just got her power back on late yesterday and says the devastation is unbelievable and surreal. 
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Hurricane Sandy. 2012/11/03 11:42:43
Thanks Twinwillow.

Any help to any of the charities is greatly appreciated. It's such a grave situation that is much more of a challenge than other emergencies that happened in the area. People in this area are so used to being the first to jump and help out in any way they can. It's very difficult to travel around because most of the power was out...the public transportation system is either down or still recovering...there are gas rations...and so many communities are in grave situations...in very cold weather.

For certain communities completely devastated in unbelievable conditions like Staten help right now means helping them survive. Recovery is a luxury after survival.

Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:Hurricane Sandy. 2012/11/03 11:48:16
CC, thank you for your words putting things in perspective.
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Hurricane Sandy. 2012/11/03 13:15:43
Prayers for your family!

If anyone in the area wants to help...FEMA is handing out this box which is worth weight in gold in many areas without the need compared to our neighbors & emergency workers saving their lives while risking their own...

MREs....

Our neighbors need our help in any/every way possible. In our case it's Staten Island which is this close to us. So we count blessings round it up and get it over there by car motorcycle or foot. 

I promise it will make you feel better about being surrounded by a disaster.

post edited by CCinNJ - 2012/11/03 13:16:48
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:Hurricane Sandy. 2012/11/03 15:06:19
CC - Thank you for your caring thoughts for my family in NY. Do you know of anything I can do to help get those FEMA boxes distributed?
post edited by Twinwillow - 2012/11/03 15:09:13
ChrisOC
Re:Hurricane Sandy. 2012/11/03 21:55:56
My home is in Ocean City NJ.  Sandy hit us with 2 feet of water throughout our one story home.  We lost all of our furniture and most of our clothes.  Believe me if you can help in anyway it will be greatly appreciated!
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:Hurricane Sandy. 2012/11/03 22:11:51
Chris, my prayers are with you and your family. God bless you. I'm not a wealthy person. I live on SS but, I'll do a little more and hopefully some of my donations will filter down to you and your family. Stay strong and hopefull.
It will take time but eventually, I hope all of this will be just be a bad memory.
Is FEMA helping at all?
joerogo
Filet Mignon
Re:Hurricane Sandy. 2012/11/03 22:59:57
Having lived through Irene/Lee last September, I say to all my RF friends, do not count on FEMA.  Here is the gist of what we had to live with:

If you have flood insurance, FEMA gives you NOTHING!

If you do not have flood insurance, the maximum payout from FEMA is around $30,000. 

If you had a vacation home or rental property that you owned, you get NOTHING!  FEMA only pays if it is your primary residence.

If you are a renter, FEMA give you NOTHING!

If you are a business owner, FEMA gives you NOTHING!  You will have to deal with the SBA.  Their rates are higher, sometimes much higher than a bank, but at least they are willing to lend.

My thoughts and prayers go out to all of you.  Rest assured, friends, family and private organizations are going to get you through this.  Also, do not be in a rush, get the correct info(in writing) before beginning repairs.  FEMA and the flood insurance they oversee will fine and penalize you and your town for not following their rules which they themselves do not know.  God Bless you all.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:Hurricane Sandy. 2012/11/03 23:17:26
Thanks Joe for all the information you provided regarding FEMA.

CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Hurricane Sandy. 2012/11/03 23:39:16
FEMA is deployed in the early areas declared a disaster with food & water. The rest is up to the people in the close communities that are not a disaster compared to other people living close enough to get to...with whatever resources that can be provided...by any/every means right away. That includes cash is king..screw waiting for a write-off. Especially in the early days...before all the charities show up...and get situated.

I'm sure people woke up the other day thinking they would not be on the line to get care packages because they had enough to get by...until power was restored. Well...they were on line...because for whatever reason it was not very quick to reach the people in desperate need...close enough.

We'll get anything and everything we can over the bridge with a NYC marathon of our own. We have official vehicles willing to help the cause. I'm sure more will follow...because helping is much quicker than listening to the "my Grandparents arrived in America and were welcomed by Staten Island" yada yada....over & over.
post edited by CCinNJ - 2012/11/04 00:01:27
joerogo
Filet Mignon
Re:Hurricane Sandy. 2012/11/04 16:28:40
Also, every time you talk with FEMA,(most likely on the phone)keep good notes.  Every employee has to give you their identification number and the locator number of your conversation.  Write them down along with notes about the conversation.  You will never talk to the same person twice.

If a FEMA rep comes to your home, just keep in mind, he/she is not your friend.  They will have a laptop with them and they will log in everything you say.  Ask to see what they have written and make any changes you think are necessary.  One wrong sentence from the FEMA rep could put you back at square one, which you will have to find out for yourself because nobody will tell you.

Oh, and take lots and lots of pictures of your damage.
Uncle Groucho
Cheeseburger
Re:Hurricane Sandy. 2012/11/04 16:31:00
My Sister in Leonardo got her power back on last night, Today my 2 nieces and her friends went to my Hometown of Keansburg NJ to volunteer, They are applying for the national honor society and need the hours, this will be a humbling experience for them.
This is a hard way to learn about Life but I am proud of them and their friends.
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Hurricane Sandy. 2012/11/04 16:58:43
It's especially important to be very careful about FEMA because we have never had a natural disaster to require extensive FEMA services in this area and they are not exactly situated and are just saying that people will be "in the neighborhood" shortly ( after the initial food/water is handled). We are still having slow times with perishable foods getting back in to the area.

We're still under a curfew and waiting for the next storm to come on Wednesday. If you are close and can volunteer that's a wonderful thing and everyone is appreciative for that. If you live outside the area have family or friends in the area...don't travel in. It's like a war zone for hundreds of miles. Help from outside the area is best served by donations to the organizations that are doing their best to get to places themselves...under difficult challenges in certain areas.

In Roadfood terms if you love the Roadfood in the area or have always wanted to come to visit any certain restaurant in the area....make a donation to charity for the cost of that meal. That would help a great deal.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:Hurricane Sandy. 2012/11/04 16:58:58
joerogo, Thank you! The information you've provided regarding FEMA is invaluable! Hopefully, Roadfooders from the storm area will have access to your comments!

Ps, My cousin got her power back on in Woodmere, L.I. Friday but she had to go to the grocers to get a WI-FI signal so she could return my first email of concern to her from when the "Frankenstorm Sandy" hit and knocked out everything.
post edited by Twinwillow - 2012/11/04 17:03:53
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Hurricane Sandy. 2012/11/04 17:20:35
That's great Twinwillow! Some of the local businesses in the area went above and beyond for us. I was interviewed by the local paper yesterday about the amazing job of the local fruit store owner that traveled to the Bronx every night to get milk bread eggs and our beloved fruit. I was so happy to do it...because he did not even have a scale and not only went to the trouble to do that...he undercharged us a considerable amount for it.

http://mobile.nj.com/advn...m?contentguid=PIQl1elq
post edited by CCinNJ - 2012/11/04 17:25:30
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:Hurricane Sandy. 2012/11/04 17:27:50
CC, God bless him. And all the others trying to make everyday life a little easier for the storm victims.
I'm praying for all of you!
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Hurricane Sandy. 2012/11/04 17:33:59
Thanks Twinwillow. God Bless him indeed. It's people like that who make it much easier. He was waving his hands behind the reporter...so I would not pour it on. He deserves all the praise he can get...and while he has always had customers he will always have customers for life.
post edited by CCinNJ - 2012/11/04 17:37:32
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:Hurricane Sandy. 2012/11/04 17:40:44
CCinNJ

Thanks Twinwillow. God Bless him indeed. It's people like that who make it much easier. He was waving his hands behind the reporter...so I would not pour it on. He deserves all the praise he can get...and while he has always had customers he will always have customers for life.

If I was there, I'd kiss him. On the cheek, of course.
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Hurricane Sandy. 2012/11/04 17:51:18
I'll give him a hug. Now my friends are all calling me "the hungry"
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:Hurricane Sandy. 2012/11/04 17:55:06
CCinNJ

I'll give him a hug. Now my friends are all calling me "the hungry"

joerogo
Filet Mignon
Re:Hurricane Sandy. 2012/11/04 19:40:16
Who is Colleen Kurtiak?  Should we be calling you CK?  
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Hurricane Sandy. 2012/11/04 19:48:44
Yes. Gov. Christie will have a special announcement about it tomorrow.
joerogo
Filet Mignon
Re:Hurricane Sandy. 2012/11/04 19:51:59
Chris Kristie?
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Hurricane Sandy. 2012/11/04 19:55:36
Chris Kristie Cream. Now I will be flagged.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Hurricane Sandy. 2012/11/04 20:21:09
I'm really curious about where FEMA might be getting its hands on Operation Gratitude packages. Operation Gratitude is a volunteer organization that uses the donations it gets to send "care" packages to troops overseas.

http://www.operationgratitude.com/
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Hurricane Sandy. 2012/11/04 21:54:22
This is our first natural disaster and they don't say much of anything but here you go...and would you like pulled buffalo chicken or sloppy joe meals in the pack?
billyboy
Re:Hurricane Sandy. 2012/11/04 22:07:24
I was just in the Oakwood Heights neighborhood on Staten Island today helping with the clean-up, food distribution and whatever I could.  Many groups and people who were in town to run the NYC Marathon over the weekend organized to have a "marathon of service" in various neighborhoods that were hit the hardest (Coney Island, The Rockaways, New Dorp and Oakwood Heights (both on Staten Island, etc...).  The generosity, grace, resilience and spirit that I witnessed was both moving and humbling.  So much more work to be done before this is even close to being back to normal.  If you are at all able to donate manpower and time to help people clean-up, bring them supplies and moral support they can sure use it.  Thanks so much.
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Hurricane Sandy. 2012/11/04 22:20:52
Thank you and God Bless you Billyboy. They appreciate it so much....and they are in desperate need of any and every support. It's getting easier to help now that the power is back. It's hard to even recognize where you are in many sections of Staten Island.
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Hurricane Sandy. 2012/11/04 23:25:45
The packages were delivered by The National Guard & GI Go Fund in addition to FEMA MREs.

http://www.prweb.com/rele...2/11/prweb10090222.htm

Thank you National Guard. Thank you Operation Gratitude. Thank you GI Go Fund.
post edited by CCinNJ - 2012/11/04 23:55:07
mamaduck43
Cheeseburger
Re:Hurricane Sandy. 2012/11/05 11:28:10
Foodbme

While I admire your efforts, I prefer to give my donations to the Salvation Army.  
They have a much lower Administrative cost so more money gets to the people who need it.

Everyone has the right to make their own decision as to where their donations go...  However, per "Charity Navigator" which has done extensive research, when everything is factored in, the American Red Cross is rated at a 92% efficiency rate as to money used in their charity programs....  The Salvation Army is rated at 82%.....

There are different reporting standards for many different charities because of religious affiliations and tax regulations....

And just for comparison - - this is their rating for some other organizations...
  • American Legion: 55%
  • Veterans of Foreign Wars: 84%
  • Disabled American Veterans: 77%
  • Military Order of Purple Heart Service Foundation: 35%
  • Vietnam Veterans of America: 25%
    Read more at http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/charities.asp#YFOvWw6q9ppFqqLD.99
  • Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    Re:Hurricane Sandy. 2012/11/05 11:56:14
    Thank you, mamaduck. Good information!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Hurricane Sandy. 2012/11/05 12:46:07
    Speaking of the National Guard, as CCinNJ was, dozens of members of the National Guard and the Army and Air Force have been kicked out of the Lexington Armory where they've been billetted to sleep bewteen shifts of hurricane relief in order to make room for Victoria's Secret models. You see, there'll be a Victoria's Secret runway show on Wednesday. Some 300 uniformed personnel have been sleeping at the armory since Hurricane Sandy struck. They've even brought in a generator -- for the show.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/military_helpers_stripped_mLCcBppGJPy9IMwjH2ZgCN
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:Hurricane Sandy. 2012/11/05 18:52:46
    The brave men & women of the National Guard rescued Hoboken (including many of our loved ones) as well as several other communities in the area. Without their help the death toll in Hoboken would not be 0. We could never equal the return for that but we will certainly look for any way to let them know how much we appreciate it. The National Guard would forever be welcome to stay here...anytime.

Operation Gratitude was one of the first means of supplies to reach us. We will get a tally of boxes sent...and add several to the total...in return though cash donation as well as every paraband we can find. I have parabands and never knew there are at least 7 ways to survival with a paraband.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Hurricane Sandy. 2012/11/05 19:17:00
    You are something else, CCinNJ. Good on ya!

FYI: Operation Gratitude is a wonderful organization. I've been contributing to it for several years. I've spoken to a number of men and women who have served in Iraq and Afghanistan, including my grandson, and heard lots of praise for Operation Gratitude.

Oh, and those parabands are great.
    post edited by Michael Hoffman - 2012/11/05 19:18:32
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    Re:Hurricane Sandy. 2012/11/05 19:49:44
    I cannot believe the devastation "Sandy" has wrought upon the Rockaway's in Queens. The Rockaway's were my summer hangout area during the summers of my teens.

I actually spent most of my freshman year of high school at Far Rockaway H. S. before moving a few miles away to Cedarhurst in Nassau County on the south coast of Long Island and finishing HS at Lawrence High School in 1958. That area, being only 3 miles from the Atlantic, was also terribly devastated by hurricane Sandy.

I am proud to say, I was a member of the US National Guard reserve in 1962. Serving my active duty at Ft. Knox, Ky. and, Fort Meade, Md.

The news about the reservists being kicked out of their armory is being told on the early evening news as I write.
    post edited by Twinwillow - 2012/11/06 12:16:44
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:Hurricane Sandy. 2012/11/06 07:29:08
    A very special thank you to our Roadfood friend Rich Decker (Lost Nation) of Lost Nation Smoke Company for participating in Operation BBQ Relief and extending a helpful hand to me personally. I thank him for that and he has a friend for life.

http://www.lostnationvt.com/

http://www.operationbbqrelief.org/

During the month of November there are various ways to support Operation Gratitude through Hickory Farms...including a donation to Operation Gratitude with every Facebook "like" for Hickory Farms. Please do that and spread the word....

Plus, if you “Like” its page on Facebook during the month of November, Hickory Farms will donate $.10 to Operation Gratitude (Max. donation $10,000 valid through 11/30/12). Please ask all your friends to “Like” the page too — those dimes will add up fast and make a huge difference for our Military.

http://opgrat.wordpress.c...arms-for-the-holidays/
    post edited by CCinNJ - 2012/11/06 08:11:58
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Hurricane Sandy. 2012/11/06 10:59:51
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    Re:Hurricane Sandy. 2012/11/06 12:11:17
    Michael, Thank you for the links regarding Operation Gratitude.
    I'll make good use of their services. 
    josefinajoisey
    Hamburger
    Re:Hurricane Sandy. 2012/11/06 19:30:19
    Hi everyone,
    I'm a social worker, Proud NJ resident, and Roadfooder. In Northern NJ, a great resource is 211......the web site URL is www.nj211.org
    They have a lot of information regarding Sandy issues. Also, if you have a Facebook account, the page "Jersey Shore Hurricane News" gives amazing up to date information about immediate happenings, and how to lend a hand.
    I absolutely agree that Charity Navigator is a great way to check that your donation is being applied where it needs to be.
    If I can be of any help, just ask, and I'll do my best to get you the info you need.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:Hurricane Sandy. 2012/11/06 21:57:02
    Thanks Josefina!

Those are great resources to have share...and save.

You must be VERY busy these days.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:Hurricane Sandy. 2012/11/07 10:29:34
    There are at least 12 ways to survival with the parabands...

Use it for:
    * Lashing for shelter
    * Snares and traps
    * Fishing line
    * Anchor line
    * Sewing thread
    * Bow drill for fire starting
    * Trip line
    * Tie downs
    * Lanyard
    * Tourniquet
    * Sling
    * Splint

I'd have to find out if there are any color restrictions (I know the bright pink should be avoided) but they come in a variety of colors and I have a source with a fantastic price (same specs) but trying to figure out what color would work best.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Hurricane Sandy. 2012/11/07 11:18:50
    Be sure to have a good folding knife with a partially serrated edge and a tanto blade style.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:Hurricane Sandy. 2012/11/07 14:14:36
    "
    The color on the left seems like it would blend in with uniforms. I have the price down to $1 each so I will order plenty for donation.

Since it's snowing...I will practice and see how many emergency situations I could actually tackle myself. I will try to build a trip line for my squirrel frenemies.
    post edited by CCinNJ - 2012/11/07 14:15:48
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:Hurricane Sandy. 2012/11/07 14:56:59
    For Lee and all other Roadfood friends Operation BBQ Relief is operating in Brick.

Our Roadfood friend Rich is there now...as well as many other fine BBQ folks from across the land.

They are braving the cold & snow...and we thank them for rushing to help.
    post edited by CCinNJ - 2012/11/07 15:14:36
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Hurricane Sandy. 2012/11/07 16:58:57
    Is that what a paraband is? I am not familiar with them. Thanks to all for information on the proper places to donate! Love to you all.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Hurricane Sandy. 2012/11/07 18:19:13
    Paraband is just a brand name for a bracelet made using what the military calls 550 cord. Most people know it as parachute cord.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:Hurricane Sandy. 2012/11/07 18:38:18
    Thanks Kland!

The store Five Below sells Parabands and they have stores listed in your area.

http://www.fivebelow.com/
    jman
    Re:Hurricane Sandy. 2012/11/07 19:34:58
    The University of Kentucky Men's Basketball team is currently staging a telethon on the Lexington CBS affiliate WKYT.  All monies raised will go for food and shelter for victims in NJ and NY.  They are operating over 25 telephones as well as taking donations on-line.  After the first half hour they have raised over $120,000.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    Re:Hurricane Sandy. 2012/11/07 19:50:28
    All efforts have been fantastic..Bob and I donated $100.00, while a stretch for us in a big way, we felt what goes around, comes around....
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:Hurricane Sandy. 2012/11/07 20:41:16
    Thanks Jman! God Bless Kentucky and Go Wildcats. I hope they get an enormous standing ovation at Barclays Center in Brooklyn on Friday!

Thanks Ann! May it come back to you & Bob tenfold!
    jman
    Re:Hurricane Sandy. 2012/11/07 21:12:59
    CCinNJ

Thanks Jman! God Bless Kentucky and Go Wildcats. I hope they get an enormous standing ovation at Barclays Center in Brooklyn on Friday!

Thanks Ann! May it come back to you & Bob tenfold!

As part of the telethon, Papa John's, a KY corporation, pledged $1.00 for every pizza sold in their 3000 stores.  The Papa John's donation is expected to be at least $300,000 and they're shooting for a $1,000,000 total for the two-hour event.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:Hurricane Sandy. 2012/11/08 12:40:44
    Go Papa John!

I just got of the phone with the Mayor's staff. They love the idea of giving back to Operation Gratitude and as soon as the emergency duties settle down a little we'll have something organized from Bayonne to give back...as well as our own contributions.

I'm also calling the reporter who wrote the other story for the Jersey Journal and contacting the Bayonne Community News.

Thank you Mr. Hoffman for the details about Operation Gratitude.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    Re:Hurricane Sandy. 2012/11/08 13:32:31
    Now, with the current Nor-Easter storm, the people of the Jersey shore and New York need your help, again!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Hurricane Sandy. 2012/11/08 18:23:01
     CCinNJ

My pleasure. Operation Gratitude is a great organization, and I think it's wonderful that you've set about having it officially recognized and thanked.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    Re:Hurricane Sandy. 2012/11/08 18:40:55
    My old hometown of Lawrence, L. I., N.Y. was featured on tonights evening news on NBC. STILL WITHOUT POWER!
    jman
    Re:Hurricane Sandy. 2012/11/08 21:52:08
    I saw on the news that many of the FEMA offices were closed due to "bad weather".

http://www.dnainfo.com/ne...011&group_hood_id=
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:Hurricane Sandy. 2012/11/08 22:26:59
    If Lawrence has LIPA as a utility...Marone. LIPA is a four letter word on Long Island.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial