Macy's Parade

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Double Chili Cheeseburger
2012/11/10 15:24:24
Hello, old-timers, new-timers, good-timers, et al.
I'm traveling next week with a marching band to the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.  Their itinerary is set in stone. Mine is more flexible.  We'll be staying at the Embassy Suites in Secaucus, and moving numerous times across the river.  The parade route is between 77th and 34th, so I'll be all up and down midtown for a few days.  I'd love to hear suggestions from friends, old and new, about both sides of the river.
Poverty Pete
post edited by Poverty Pete - 2012/11/10 15:35:50
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Macy's Parade 2012/11/10 19:14:49
Since you're in Secaucus, There's a number of good Cuban places in Jersey City. It's been years since I've been in the NYC area so don't remember the names. A large Cuban population there.
http://www.urbanspoon.com/nf/53/5330/5218/North-Jersey/Jersey-City/Cuban-Restaurants
And, of course, if you've never been to Carnegie Deli, that's just east of Broadway on 7th Av & 55th St.
http://www.carnegiedeli.com/home.php
post edited by Foodbme - 2012/11/10 19:19:15
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Macy's Parade 2012/11/10 19:18:57
Your Hotel is surrounded by a ton of chain food...but a very quick (5 minute ) trip to Union City for excellent Cuban food. Jersey City is mess right now. So is Hoboken.

http://www.elartesanorestaurant.com/menu.html
http://cuban-food-usa.com/ny_el_artesano.html

http://offthebroiler.word...havana-sandwich-queen/
post edited by CCinNJ - 2012/11/10 21:01:51
ken8038
Re:Macy's Parade 2012/11/10 21:47:42
As CC said, some places on the NJ side of the river are a wild card right now a/c Hurricane damage.

For Spanish/Portuguese food real near to where you are staying, Segovia is very very good, and thier website says they are Open:
http://www.segoviarestaurant.com/

In Midtown NY, one place I reaaly like for it's "secret place" ambiance (it's a walkup on the 2nd floor) with excellent pizza and other Italian in a nice old-school  atmosphere is Lazzara's at 221 W 38 St:
http://lazzaraspizza.com/html/home.php

Let us know where you wind up.
Poverty Pete
Re:Macy's Parade 2012/11/11 08:21:14
CC, can I walk to any of these neighborhoods?  Or is public transport reliable?  I've already figured I can make it to Hoboken to the delis, if they're open.  I think I need a svengali to to swoosh away the impediments,
Poverty Pete
post edited by Poverty Pete - 2012/11/17 07:38:04
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Macy's Parade 2012/11/11 10:10:07
Embassy Suites is located within the Harmon Meadow Plaza. There are quick (like a mile) shuttles to the Secaucus Junction Light Rail Station right from Embassy Suites. From there you would take the Light Rail train to the connecting Hudson-Bergen LIght Rail stop for Hoboken. Along the way down the line there is a stop that puts you right close to the Cuban food in Union City. That would be the Bergenline Ave. stop in Union City.

They are both very quick trips. I will check if all the stations are stopping along the line (our Light Rail stops are still down) but if they any are down there will be shuttle service to the destination within the trip...and it will be announced on the platform and on the train a million times.

I will be in Hoboken by the time of your trip. I'll be more than happy to guide you along the way through beloved <<<Hoboken>>>
post edited by CCinNJ - 2012/11/11 10:22:37
pnwchef
Re:Macy's Parade 2012/11/11 11:29:08
Sounds like a nice trip, I hope you have a great time. These are not between 34th and 77th but to me they say New York. Peter Lugers, to me says New York and also serves a great Porterhouse steak. My family ad I were there last summer, my family liked it so much we are planning our trip around it this yr. This is a short cab ride and well worth the trip, after all we traveled 3000 miles to get there. Another one in Manhattan is Defonte's Sandwich shop in Gramercy area 3rd and 21st. This one also say New York. Fresh made Italian hoagie rolls, Melt in your mouth Roast beef, Fried Eggplant and Mozzarella, pilled on your sandwich. They also have many other sandwiches that will tempt you taste buds. If your not going to be in nYC very long, Manhattan will take up all your time with great sights and attractions............Have fun..............pnwc...............P.S. call Peter Lugers today and see if you can get reservations, it maybe to late, they are about a month out. If you don't mind eating a late lunch early dinner they may be able to squeeze you in.
Poverty Pete
Re:Macy's Parade 2012/11/11 13:16:20
CCinNJ

I will be in Hoboken by the time of your trip. I'll be more than happy to guide you along the way through beloved <<<Hoboken>>>

CCinNJ, I totally accept your kind offer!  I expect to be arriving in Secaucus early afternoon on Tuesday, the 20th.  I'll have to keep to some sort of schedule, but haven't seen it as yet.  This is going to be fun.  I haven't seen you since the giant pork chop at Knockum Hill.  Since buffetbuster was also there, I didn't see much of the chop, either.

Pnwchef, I'm taking notes on DeFonte's, but doubt that I'll get over to Brooklyn to see PL.  Great idea, though.  A shopping trip to Zabar's is very likely, too.

Wandering Jew, grab a train  and take a day off. I'll find you a nice cup of coffee.

Any and all others welcome to come join in the festivities.

CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Macy's Parade 2012/11/11 15:09:03
Honey...ya ain't seen me by any giant pork chop. I'm scared of giant pork chops. I bet they are bigger than me.

We'll have oodles of fun. You'll enjoy outstanding Roadfood..good laughs.. beautiful views of NYC...and a cocktail or so. I'll get you marching outta order!

You can teach me all about making Root Beer.
post edited by CCinNJ - 2012/11/11 15:48:35
Poverty Pete
Re:Macy's Parade 2012/11/11 19:30:47
ken8038

For Spanish/Portuguese food real near to where you are staying, Segovia is very very good, and thier website says they are Open:
http://www.segoviarestaurant.com/

Ken,  Segovia sounds like an excellent choice. I mapquested it, and even I can do that without getting lost.  Have you had the paella?
Poverty Pete
Re:Macy's Parade 2012/11/11 19:32:37
CCinNJ

You can teach me all about making Root Beer.

If I were going to be there long enough, I'd brew a batch for you.
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Macy's Parade 2012/11/11 20:30:36
How long does it take to brew a batch of the "Root Beer" you were drinkin at or before Knockum Hill?  

That must be an excellent marching band to make it to the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. Congratulations!
Poverty Pete
Re:Macy's Parade 2012/11/11 20:49:28
CCinNJ
  That must be an excellent marching band to make it to the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. Congratulations!

Thanks, they are indeed an excellent group of band students.  If you watch the parade, they'll be wearing orange and black, from Father Ryan High School in Nashville, Tn.
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Macy's Parade 2012/11/12 00:22:02
A few great NYC experiences in the zone of where you will be...

53rd & 6th for some of the best NYC street food...

http://newyork.seriouseat...venue-street-food.html

Day or night...excellent. People not-pick or nit-pick even this or that...but you won't go wrong on that corner...day or night. If the weather is nice...the price is right...the portions are large delicious....and a true NYC experience.

Gray's Papaya is another experience in the zone....on 72nd and Broadway. You have to have a hot dog and a papaya drink while in NYC. It's the law!!  Open 24 hours a day...and night.

http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/Review/5253-5357/grays-papaya
post edited by CCinNJ - 2012/11/12 00:57:31
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Macy's Parade 2012/11/12 00:54:25
Poverty Pete
CCinNJ

Thanks, they are indeed an excellent group of band students.  If you watch the parade, they'll be wearing orange and black, from Father Ryan High School in Nashville, Tn.

Brings back pleasant memories. I lived in Brentwood TN from 79 to 83.
Remember that Fr. Ryan was an excellent school with some pretty good sports teams. Not surprised that the Band is good too!
Lived in NJ and worked in NYC from 73 to 79 and attended 2 Macy's parades. You and the kids are gonna love it!
I'll be in Franklin, TN for Tranksgiving and will watch the parade from there!
post edited by Foodbme - 2012/11/12 00:58:29
ken8038
Re:Macy's Parade 2012/11/12 08:06:37
<<Ken, Segovia sounds like an excellent choice. I mapquested it, and even I can do that without getting lost. Have you had the paella?
I may have tasted it as a sample from someone else's plate, but I'm not sure. I've been there a few times, and I usually go for the shrimp in garlic or green sauce.
I'm sure you'll enjoy it, if that's where you wind up.

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Macy's Parade 2012/11/12 09:23:34
CCinNJ

We'll have oodles of fun. You'll enjoy outstanding Roadfood..good laughs.. beautiful views of NYC...and a cocktail or so. I'll get you marching outta order!

CCinNJ you are going to love Poverty Pete. He is one great guy.

Poverty Pete
Re:Macy's Parade 2012/11/12 17:41:09
Cheers, Mr. Hoffman!   And hugs to Lisa.
Poverty Pete
Re:Macy's Parade 2012/11/12 19:02:00
CCinNJ,  How do you and bacon get along?  Are you on good terms with one another?
   Also, will I be near the downtown Hoboken Farmer's Market on Tuesday?
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Macy's Parade 2012/11/12 19:39:44
Poverty Pete

Cheers, Mr. Hoffman!   And hugs to Lisa.

Same to you. Hugs given.
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Macy's Parade 2012/11/13 11:05:14
Bacon was over this morning...for Breakfast. We get along great...as far as I am concerned..

The Farmers Markets will be open. I'm not sure if the Downtown location will be held at the regular location...or the Uptown location on Tuesdays. I'll know on Friday. 

Either way...no problem. You could toss a piece of fruit from one location and reach the other location. Hoboken is one square mile.

Poverty Pete
Re:Macy's Parade 2012/11/14 15:37:55
Michael,

Is that a smiley face at the end of your response?

Marriage is really agreeing with you, isn't it?   It's good to see.
FriedClamFanatic
Re:Macy's Parade 2012/11/14 17:27:17
CCinNJ

Bacon was over this morning...for Breakfast. We get along great...as far as I am concerned..

The Farmers Markets will be open. I'm not sure if the Downtown location will be held at the regular location...or the Uptown location on Tuesdays. I'll know on Friday. 

Either way...no problem. You could toss a piece of fruit from one location and reach the other location. Hoboken is one square mile.

Lawd.gets down on his knees and praises CC for that glorious photo.........just wish I had been there to munch one down!
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Macy's Parade 2012/11/14 18:01:22
A Divine assist from Bagel Time & Deli in Matawan...

I am happy that Mr. Hoffman is happy but I was as happy as the Bennison's cookie from the Contingent Dog Days of Summer Tour (taken by Gyp) that my juicer was unplugged.... 

post edited by CCinNJ - 2012/11/14 18:02:56
Poverty Pete
Re:Macy's Parade 2012/11/14 19:11:31
CCinNJ,

Your juicer was unplugged?  By the storm?  Are things getting back to normal?  You're still going to make me march crooked, right?
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Macy's Parade 2012/11/14 20:29:23
Of course!
You'll be fine by Thanksgiving! As long as you are not holding the Cat in the Hat Balloon. He marched his own route at the 1997 Parade.

My house was the hotline for the Sisters of St. Andrew's back in the day.

I've been told I have to eat Breakfast...not just drink juice. It worked Jack LaLanne.

post edited by CCinNJ - 2012/11/14 20:33:59
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Macy's Parade 2012/11/15 18:55:31
Poverty Pete

Michael,

Is that a smiley face at the end of your response?

Marriage is really agreeing with you, isn't it?   It's good to see.

It is, indeed a smiley face. But never fear. I'm still a mean, nasty, angry curmudgeon. And yes, marriage is agreeing with me. Trouble is, my wife always disagrees with me. I think that's her job.
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Macy's Parade 2012/11/15 19:27:36
How many kids are in the Marching Band?
Poverty Pete
Re:Macy's Parade 2012/11/15 21:23:30
They are small in number, but enormous in stature.  I think there will be about 90 in the parade. I also think they will be the smallest band that day.
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Macy's Parade 2012/11/15 21:52:11
They will be the best band of the day...and if any of them can play football the Titans could use the help. That's our favorite football team.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Macy's Parade 2012/11/16 11:21:26
The Titans? As in the Tennessee Titans? Or were you perhaps referring to the New York Titans, currently called the New York Jets
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Macy's Parade 2012/11/16 11:44:32
Tennessee Titans. The only song to make my crybaby son James  stop  was the Houston Oilers fight song. So we sang that song...and he is a fan of the Titans. Pretty uniforms too. NO same ol' Jets for us.  

post edited by CCinNJ - 2012/11/16 11:54:06
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Macy's Parade 2012/11/16 11:59:29
CCinNJ, you just made my day.
Poverty Pete
Re:Macy's Parade 2012/11/16 12:06:01
Houston Oilers Number One!
   I had season tickets back then.  They didn't pay the players like they do today.  Billy "Whiteshoes" Johnson had to work in a jewelry store during the off-season.
Poverty Pete
Re:Macy's Parade 2012/11/16 19:19:14
Foodbme

Brings back pleasant memories. I lived in Brentwood TN from 79 to 83.
Remember that Fr. Ryan was an excellent school with some pretty good sports teams. Not surprised that the Band is good too!

I was in the gym for the first time today.  I counted 50 state championship banners on the wall, in every sport I can think of.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Macy's Parade 2012/11/16 19:31:22
Poverty Pete

I was in the gym for the first time today.  I counted 50 state championship banners on the wall, in every sport I can think of.

PP

So it took you 60+ years to finally hit the gym! 
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Macy's Parade 2012/11/16 20:29:33
Plenty of Kickboxing classes in Hoboken...but Hoboken girls are like lethal weapons.
Poverty Pete
Re:Macy's Parade 2012/11/16 20:49:09
Dale,

I know!  It's hard to believe I have this trim, fit body without even working at it.  Nature just blesses a few of us that way.

I should be in Secaucus by noon Tuesday, with no responsibilities until Thursday morning.  I think first up, if it's open, will be Fiore's in Hoboken.  CC?
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Macy's Parade 2012/11/16 22:51:20
Absolutely Fiore's is (like the Oy-laz) number one!

Every sandwich is special at Fiore's. The daily special sandwich for Tuesday is Corned Beef. While it may sound like nonsense for Corned Beef to meet (as they say) "the mutz" on Italian Bread...it's crazy good. But..in addition to the CB there is always the fantastic variety of Italian cold cuts.

Some call the Roast Beef stoopid good. Since Thursday is Thanksgiving...let's hope for a little stoopid on Tuesday.
Poverty Pete
Re:Macy's Parade 2012/11/16 23:08:48
Then onward to the Farmer's Market to track down Picklelicious!

Then, CC, whatever you have in mind. Really!  I don't want to be a back seat driver.
post edited by Poverty Pete - 2012/11/16 23:11:12
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Macy's Parade 2012/11/16 23:19:22
Those pickles are FANTASTIC! All the Jersey Fresh players come to the Hoboken Farmers Market. It's like Garden City in the Garden State.

We can use the pickle chips as a buy-in for the big Bocce game.

You'll see everything Hoboken has to offer...that's open.

No line for the Cake Boss...on my tour of Hoboken.
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Macy's Parade 2012/11/17 08:40:58
Since you'll have transportation and a little time the Tick Tock Diner is a good Roadfood option for a NJ Diner any time of the day. It's a straight line drive and only about 10 miles away.

http://www.roadfood.com/R...ew/232/tick-tock-diner

http://www.theticktockdiner.com/

You just have to keep it simple...don't stray too far on the menu...and if you have special requests they work best in friendly declarative statement ...you're fine. Even if it's just for a cup of coffee.

post edited by CCinNJ - 2012/11/17 10:45:43
Poverty Pete
Re:Macy's Parade 2012/11/17 16:18:02
CCinNJ
  Some call the Roast Beef stoopid good. Since Thursday is Thanksgiving...let's hope for a little stoopid on Tuesday.

Do you know someone who could ask them to roast a beef on Tuesday?  Wouldn't *that* make a Roadfood legend for the ages?
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Macy's Parade 2012/11/17 17:48:16
Maybe if I start talking and talking and talking...poof. That usually works.

I remember when I was 5 years old....
post edited by CCinNJ - 2012/11/17 17:51:31
Poverty Pete
Re:Macy's Parade 2012/11/17 19:10:37
Colleen,
   Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to see to it that Fiore's roasts a beef on Tuesday for sandwiches.  You'll go down in history as a mover and shaker. You'll be famous as one who can alter the custom of culinary destinations.  You'll be remembered as a pioneer in Roadfood history.  I'll bring you a slab of Kentucky bacon.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Macy's Parade 2012/11/17 19:17:31
PP, I'm inclined to think that she can do anything.
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Macy's Parade 2012/11/17 19:22:53
Look at this face...

I'll cry...just like I did when I was 5 years old.

How could they say no?
billyboy
Re:Macy's Parade 2012/11/17 20:04:56
CC, you'll be the "Anti-Travelin' Man" if you can pull off that roast beef feat on Tuesday!!
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Macy's Parade 2012/11/17 20:09:57
I'll be there at 8am Monday morning...with my pom poms!
Poverty Pete
Re:Macy's Parade 2012/11/17 20:18:24
Billyboy, if Colleen can work her magic in Hoboken, will you make the trek to join the celebration?
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Macy's Parade 2012/11/17 20:24:49
C'mon Billyboy! I am not annoying in person. I promise.
billyboy
Re:Macy's Parade 2012/11/18 10:13:09
I'd love to (youse two have been on my RFers to meet list for a while!) but I'll have to play it by ear as I've been feeling flush the past few days.  When, where and what time is the meet-up?  
Poverty Pete
Re:Macy's Parade 2012/11/18 11:28:52
I don't think the plans are all that developed, yet.  I should be in Secaucus before 12:00 Tuesday. I'm good with whatever suits the needs of you, Colleen, and all others who want to join us.
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Macy's Parade 2012/11/18 12:26:55
I will be in Hoboken walking plan A tomorrow morning to make sure everything is good to go. I'll be up early and running so any time is perfectly fine with me. The Deli's usually close at 6pm so we can walk that walk first.

Crossing fingers (with a round of rosary) I think a good Welcome to <<<Hoboken>>> primer will be wonderful with visits to...

Fiore's (two more rounds of rosary and a promise of an extra Kidney if needed) and see what happens.

Hoboken Farmers Market....for Jersey Fresh provisions.

The BEST kept secret in Hoboken for the fresh mozzarella in town (seriously) hands-down the ....

M&P Biancamano Italian Deli

The NICEST people on the planet...everything you'd like to know about fresh mozzarella....and nice gathering place to sit & chat (no hood of the car stuff for us) and eggplant parmigiana that will make you wonder why you never heard of M&P Biancamano. Shhhh.

The support system for the Italian sandwich wonderland is the bread. So a visit to...

Dom's Bakery Grand

We stay so fresh here because we need to keep getting coal in our stockings to keep the coal ovens going.

Giorgio Pasticcerie or the BEST pastries in Hoboken (two doors down from M&P). Lovely family and a peaceful way to get ya cannoli on.

I am really sad that Filippo's on First will not be open (the storm) because it is such a fun place to gather...with wonderful pizza.

We can either go to Grimaldi's or Benny Tudino's is a trip of a place that serves a slice of pizza the size of <<<Hoboken>>>

Along the way we can stop at all of the wonderful places like Vito's...Lisa's...Luca Brasi's and I doubt anyone will have room for our wonderful version of a cheesesteak but Piccolo's Clam Bar is a legend that serves a Hoboken kinda cheesesteak that will spoil you for life.
post edited by CCinNJ - 2012/11/18 12:38:35
Poverty Pete
Re:Macy's Parade 2012/11/18 12:42:03
I should probably skip the free breakfast at the hotel Tuesday morning.
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Macy's Parade 2012/11/18 12:46:32
No juice for me on Tuesday.
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Macy's Parade 2012/11/18 12:55:03
Ohhh...and a big toast to wonderful new friends and Hoboken as a finale!!

If you don't drink not to worry...I'll have another!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Macy's Parade 2012/11/18 14:30:11
Oh, don't worry. Poverty Pete has been known to visit occasionally with John Barleycorn. I am reminded, for some reason, of bacon-infused bourbon behind a certain curtain in Nashville.
post edited by Michael Hoffman - 2012/11/18 14:31:17
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Macy's Parade 2012/11/18 14:39:45
Excellent! I have not had a drink in like a month...and I think I'm due.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Macy's Parade 2012/11/18 14:45:23
It's not that he was there that evening, but he did direct several of us to the right place to find said bacon-infused bourbon. And, considering that he knew about the booze, and about the curtain, well ... .
Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3