What to serve?

Junior Burger
2012/11/11 06:39:11
I have been following this site for quite sometime and am seriously planning to set up a concession trailer for fairs/events. I've read and downloaded everything in the construction phase, but my big problem is what to serve.
I orignally wanted to do pizza, but equipment cost are way up there. I would like to get the most bang for the buck. I've also considered Philly cheese steaks, wings, sliders, dogs ect.
The events I would be working will be in the Mid to South east.

Great forum

Jim

Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
Re:What to serve? 2012/11/11 08:34:16
Jim,
Have you had any experience in the food service business? If not get some before you jump into the middle of something you don't or may not really like. Find someone in your area that is operation a trailer or truck. Apply for a job part or full time and work for 3 or even 6 months and learn all you can. Then make the call about your venture.
jack
pnwchef
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:What to serve? 2012/11/11 09:19:01
Hi Jim, welcome to Roadfood. As always Jack is on the money with his advice. What ever you decide to do, make sure its best of show. If its a Philly Cheesesteak, make it the best Philly Cheesesteak. If you don't have experience, then get some. You have all winter to get a job at a food service that offers the kinds of foods you want to make for your mobile operation and events. I don't care if you only know how to cook one food item. learn what makes it good, learn everything you can about it, threat this food item like the survival of your business depends on it, because it really does..............pnwc
post edited by pnwchef - 2012/11/11 11:37:24
Ice Cream Man
Re:What to serve? 2012/11/11 11:33:08
How about researching your market to see what's missing that would sell.
I see things that are missing and wonder why, then see if it's feasible.
You think the Pizza equipment is to expensive but what if that's what's missing. What if you could make a 100,000 a year selling Pizza, would that make the equipment way up there. You've got a cart without a horse.
love2bake
Re:What to serve? 2012/11/11 12:46:23
Sure--do your research--but if you can make a great cinnamon bun, people will love it.