Hot water heater for concession trailer?

lizbert
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
Hot water heater for concession trailer? - Sun, 11/18/12 6:12 PM
Hi guys,
I am new to the forum here. I have a question, hoping someone here can help.
Regarding hot water heaters in a concession trailer, what constitutes the heater being an indoor one. Everywhere I look I see them saying outdoor use only, or not mentioning whether it can be used indoors or not.
I am not looking for anything too big, just 1.5GPM or so.

Does anyone here know what validates one to be properly used within a concession trailer?

Thanks in advance.

djdawg
  • Total Posts : 439
Re:Hot water heater for concession trailer? - Sun, 11/18/12 6:55 PM
I think a lot of us use Eccotemp hot water heaters (or a similar brand) and most of them work in conjunction with propane...and since it's illegal to use the larger type of propane tanks indoors....then...that's probably the reason.  I had considered (but then quickly dismissed it) of having my Eccotemp inside of my cart but it definitely needs venting since very hot air comes out the top. 

Clarify your concession trailer situation....do you just want it built inside but the trailer will be serving people outside?  Sounds like it's a walk in type of trailer?  The Eccotemp type are mounted outside and you can certainly run hoses, etc to serve your needs if the sink is inside.... 

lizbert
  • Total Posts : 2
Re:Hot water heater for concession trailer? - Mon, 11/19/12 8:47 AM
Thanks for the reply.
This is indeed a walk in trailer, with sinks, water pump, hot dog cooker etc.
The propane tank was going to be located in the trailer as well (is this illegal?).
This will be a transported trailer potentially moving daily to various locations.

Are there no solutions for keeping the heater inside with a flu piped to the outside?

Or is the norm to bring the heater and propane tank out and back in every time to setup shop?

I assume you don't leave it mounted on the outside of the trailer all of the time?

I am very new to this so any information helps.

Thanks!
<message edited by lizbert on Mon, 11/19/12 8:50 AM>

edwmax
  • Total Posts : 2015
Re:Hot water heater for concession trailer? - Mon, 11/19/12 9:30 AM
lizbert
The propane tank was going to be located in the trailer as well (is this illegal?).

Are there no solutions for keeping the heater inside with a flu piped to the outside?

Thanks!

Illegal ... per most, if not ALL US Codes (mechanical & gas, or HD) ... Yes   ... Code are written for safety reasons ... your's as well as the public.

2nd question: Yes there are gas HW heaters made to be used inside.  Even instant-on gas HW heaters are available.

djdawg
Re:Hot water heater for concession trailer? - Mon, 11/19/12 9:55 AM
lizbert...my heater is mounted on the outside of my cart....permanently...in all types of weather...no issues whatsoever.  Find a thread I did called "finished cart pics" or something similar and you'll see how it's mounted....

djdawg
Re:Hot water heater for concession trailer? - Mon, 11/19/12 9:58 AM
Here ya go...you can see it mounted on the bottom right.... 

SDJunkMan
  • Total Posts : 21
Re:Hot water heater for concession trailer? - Mon, 11/19/12 10:31 AM
You could use a water heater made for an RV.  It would require a opening cut into the side of your trailer.  You could probably also mount your propane tank in a sealed box that is vented and accessed from the outside of the trailer like RV's use.  I use a small electric unit in my trailer, but I usually have access to electricity where I set up.

Jeff

hella good tacos
  • Total Posts : 112
Re:Hot water heater for concession trailer? - Tue, 11/20/12 7:07 PM
I have one similar to djdawgs.  mine is in a compartment on my cart with vent holes. I got mine on ebay for 120.00 with free shipping.