Potbelly Sandwich Works

Double Chili Cheeseburger
2004/03/09 06:37:53
Is anyone familiar with this relatively small chain which operates in Chicago, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan, and the Washington DC area.

I passed by a location last week in downtown DC and my attention was drawn to their signboard out front advertising sandwiches at $3.79. They serve the usual cold cuts and tuna and chicken salad. They also have peanut butter & jelly. Everything is served on a fresh baked 6" long, wide flat italian like roll, which at least for the meats, is then toasted and then topped any way you like. Nothing really new in all that, but my italian tasted great, just the right size, and at that price, a real winner in my book. Probably just as much meat as Quiznos, and 2 bucks less. Q has a nice product, but your sandwich will never look like they picture it, less inside, and not a good value. I sure wouldn't mind a Potbelly in my area.

www.potbelly.com
glennpan
Hamburger
RE: Potbelly Sandwich Works 2004/03/09 09:05:08
We have Potbelly Works in our area, and I have to say that I am not a big fan. They are always packed, and I think that their menu is really limited.

My last trip in there, I ordered a pizza bread, which comes out of the production line toaster like everything else. The mayo jockey stationed at the end of the line was such a drone that they were asking if I wanted mayo on my sandwich and practically spreading it on at the same time. I said, "mayo! on a pizza?! no thanks." She just shrugged and said, "some people like it that way I guess." Yipes.
kland01s
Filet Mignon
RE: Potbelly Sandwich Works 2004/03/09 09:19:18
I have been to one in Geneva Commons, a upscale mall on Randall Road in Geneva, Illinois. I have had the Roast Beef and the Vegetarian, both of which I found to be bland. There are probaly 15-20 restaurants in this mall that has been opened about a year and a half. The layout of this concept places all of the restaurants along one road, some stand independant like Red Lobster and California Pizza Kitchen but most are in a cluster, side by side. The Cosi's already went out of business and Baja Fresh never opened. I expect Potbelly to follow because they just don't match up to the other offerings.
Dipstick
Cheeseburger
RE: Potbelly Sandwich Works 2004/03/09 10:30:05
Thanks for the tip, Signman! By the site you provided, there's a store about 3 miles from work. Will stop for lunch soon and will let you know!
Badwaiter
Junior Burger
RE: Potbelly Sandwich Works 2004/03/09 12:45:16
Don't forget the shakes. I'm partial to the Orero shake. A veggie sub with everything becomes a warm, cheesy, spicy, (thanks gardinera!) oozing, delicious mess. I certainly bemoan the lack of a local sub place by me but if I have to choose between Subway, Quiznos or Mr. Sub, Potbelly wins hands down. The "Wreck" is good too and the price is right.
rbpalmer
Cheeseburger
RE: Potbelly Sandwich Works 2004/03/09 15:48:04
I just had lunch at the one in downtown DC today, across from the MCI center. The tuna salad sandwich was good, and the strawberry milkshake was excellent. The sandwich was kind of small, but what can you expect for $3.99? All-in-all, a very good experience, and a place that I'll definitely be going back to.
rbpalmer
Cheeseburger
RE: Potbelly Sandwich Works 2004/03/09 15:49:34
I just had lunch at the one in downtown DC today, across from the MCI center. The tuna salad sandwich was good, and the strawberry milkshake was excellent. The sandwich was kind of small, but what can you expect for $3.79? All-in-all, a very good experience, and a place that I'll definitely be going back to.
rbpalmer
Cheeseburger
RE: Potbelly Sandwich Works 2004/03/09 15:50:56
I just had lunch at the one in downtown DC today, across from the MCI center. The tuna salad sandwich was good, and the strawberry milkshake was excellent. The sandwich was kind of small, but what can you expect for $3.79? All-in-all, a very good experience, and a place that I'll definitely be going back to.
signman
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Potbelly Sandwich Works 2004/03/09 16:21:22
RB, That's the same location I went to. I agree, it's not a big sandwich by normal sub standards, but I will bet that the amount of meat is close to what you get at Quiznos, only it's two bucks cheaper. At $3.79 it represents a terrific value.