The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

L.A. Confidential

Change Page: << < ..11121314 > | Showing page 11 of 14, messages 301 to 330 of 414
mar52

• Total Posts: 7593
Re:L.A. Confidential Fri, 12/28/12 4:57 PM (permalink)
Lisa, 108ยบ is sometimes considered cool in Palm Springs as you probably know. 

Cliff, I am in awe of all of your trips and reports.

I was on the tram only once and that had to be over 40 years ago.  It didn't rotate then. 

It scared me and I don't know that I'll ever do it again.

Have a wonderful New Year's!

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6068
    Re:L.A. Confidential Sun, 12/30/12 9:48 PM (permalink)
    Went on the Palm Springs Tram this past summer. Weather up there was warmer then...Great view......loved Palm Springs and Palm Dessert.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15058
      • Roadfood Insider
      Re:L.A. Confidential Mon, 12/31/12 6:35 AM (permalink)
      BB
        I am a bit late in my posting here, Sorry. In the two photos...Marilton with the telescope, and the one with the wind turbines down in the Pass, NOTE the dark line going from right to left in the scene... That, My SoCal Visiting Friend is the actual...Mainline... Core of the San Andreas Fault !  Home of the "BIG ONE" that has yet to come. It passes (no pun intended) thru the mountains here forming the enterance to the L A Basin from the "Low Desert"...then forms Cajon Pass (My Mayordom) where it cuts thru the Mountains again, giving the I-15 access to the HIGH Desert and Las Vegas.  Lots of spectacular geologic stuff to see in that area !!
      Great report, brings back a lot of fun memories.

billyboy

• Total Posts: 2363
        Re:L.A. Confidential Mon, 12/31/12 7:19 AM (permalink)
        Cliff, this report just keeps getting better and better.  Love the food but the views are breathtaking!  

Is it just me or does anyone else think that the rules at El Gallito are pretty fair?  Seating only when the whole party is there and the cash only standard at many restaurants.  I can understand the chips and salsa thing but I think many people don't actually like reading the explanation on the menu.  

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
          Re:L.A. Confidential Mon, 12/31/12 8:19 AM (permalink)
          We experienced the same seating situation recently-most of the party had to be present. However, chips and salsa were brought out immediately, and credit cards are accepted.

ayersian

Re:L.A. Confidential Mon, 12/31/12 2:22 PM (permalink)
            Cliff, inspired by your trip to Randy's, we took our own trip here to see all the giant donuts!  Not surprisingly, Randy's is the only shop open 24 hours...  Chris

ayersian

Re:L.A. Confidential Mon, 12/31/12 2:47 PM (permalink)
              wanderingjew

I agree, there is nothing like Ugly Roll Sushi or California Roll Factory that exists here in Rhode Island, I certainly can't get anything nearly as good here...

WJ, you haven't had sushi in Boston, then.  I can give you some recommendations, you know...   Chris

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7379
                • Roadfood Insider
                Re:L.A. Confidential Mon, 12/31/12 4:53 PM (permalink)
                ayersian

wanderingjew

I agree, there is nothing like Ugly Roll Sushi or California Roll Factory that exists here in Rhode Island, I certainly can't get anything nearly as good here...

WJ, you haven't had sushi in Boston, then.  I can give you some recommendations, you know...   Chris

Ayersian

Old school sushi yes, but I'm skeptical when it comes to wacky rolls. 

The irony is we  have a very respectable Cal Mex joint right here in East Greenwich called Tio Mateo's (the owners are from California) 

And just about all the burger joints within a 5 mile radius of me can do serious dances around the best of the best in Southern California.

Sandra and I both went to a new burger joint called The Office Kitchen and Bar yesterday for lunch in Warwick...
                we both gave it a huge thumbs up.    Hoping maybe you and Amy can join us there in the near future.
                 http://www.facebook.com/p...en-Bar/375132342555446

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3698
                  Re:L.A. Confidential Tue, 01/1/13 3:40 PM (permalink)
                  buffetbuster

CJ-
                  Yeah, we can do that.  I did make it to 32 states in 2012, which means that The Travelin Man kicked my a** this year.

Muuhhwaahahahahahaha!

Also, I have seen a basketball team from Puerto Rico with the nickname "Gallitos." The translation that they provided was "Gamecocks," which I am sure is as close as any other suggestions. 

The Travelin Man

Re:L.A. Confidential Tue, 01/1/13 3:47 PM (permalink)
                    ayersian

Cliff, inspired by your trip to Randy's, we took our own trip here to see all the giant donuts!  Not surprisingly, Randy's is the only shop open 24 hours...  Chris

In that neighborhood, they're probably afraid to close.

mar52

Re:L.A. Confidential Tue, 01/1/13 3:53 PM (permalink)
                      TTM is correct:  Compton is a city to be feared!

The Travelin Man

Re:L.A. Confidential Wed, 01/2/13 10:26 AM (permalink)
                        I thought Randy's was in Inglewood?

mar52

Re:L.A. Confidential Wed, 01/2/13 2:42 PM (permalink)
                          Randy's is in Inglewood.  One of the other Big Donut buildings is in Compton.

buffetbuster

Re:L.A. Confidential Wed, 01/2/13 2:50 PM (permalink)
                            mar52-
                            I have a fear of heights, but the Aerial Tramway gave me no issues at all.  Yet, Mariton, who typically does not have a problem with heights, was a little nervous.  Not sure why this was so.  And Happy New Year to you, too!

leethebard-
                            Was there a big difference in temperature from the top of the mountain in the Summer, also?

ayersian-
                            Thanks so much for the mention in Roadfood Digest post!

MayorAl-
                            Thanks so much for telling us about that being the San Andreas fault.  We had absolutely no idea.  I have never felt an earthquake myself and I would be just fine leaving it that way. 
                            <message edited by buffetbuster on Mon, 01/6/14 2:09 PM>

buffetbuster

Re:L.A. Confidential Wed, 01/2/13 3:58 PM (permalink)
                              Friday November 30, 2012 (cont.)

I was awake from my nap when Mariton returned to show me the new purse she bought while out shopping.  We relaxed around the room until it was time for dinner.  We had 9:30 reservations at LG's Prime Steak House

Since it was only about four blocks away, we decided to walk.

Okay, here is something I don't understand.  This is a very nice upscale restaurant and you would expect there to be some kind of dress code.  And most of the people were dressed appropriately.  But, there was one table in which it surprised me with what they were wearing.  Two of the women wore flip-flops.  One man had on a hoodie, sweatpants and a baseball cap.  Now, I am a very casual person by nature.  I wear a hooded sweatshirt everyday to work during the Winter and jeans and a t-shirt during the Summer.  And I'm not a big fan of getting dressed up for dinner.  But, isn't it kind of expected at a restaurant like LG's?  Maybe I am blaming the wrong party, since it is up to the restaurant to enforce some kind of dress code.  Maybe I am making too big of a deal out of this, since how they were dressed had no effect on our dinner.  It is just a little pet peeve of mine.

I was not planning on taking photos of my food, since in a dark, upscale restaurant, the flash can be very intrusive and distracting.  Once we saw how empty the restaurant was and that there was no one sitting near us, I changed my mind.  We were seated in one of the big comfy booths, which gave us a good view of the rest of the interior. 

They had the doors to the patio open, which allowed some of the cool night air inside.  We really liked the atmosphere.

We started off the meal with the grilled citrus shrimp appetizer. 

The shrimp were firm, while the asparagus wasn't overcooked like most restaurants do.  We particularly loved the bright orange and sweet red chili sauce and were looking forward to dipping the warm, soft bread

into it.  Unfortunately, when our steaks arrived, the plate with the leftover sauce was whisked away before we knew what was happening.  What a shame!

Mariton chose the eight ounce filet mignon,

which she described as being incredibly tender.  She oohed and aahed with every bite, while dragging the beef through the steak juice.  My steak was the 24oz. prime porterhouse known as the "Crown in the Jewel". 

According to the menu, it has been dry-aged on the premises and you can see it gets served on a black plate.  They say the dry aging process gives the steak a nutty taste, but I honestly did not pick up on this.  Both sides were wonderful, but that strip side had just the right amount of chew and intense beef flavor.  A fantastic steak!  I like mushrooms with my steaks, so I ordered the sauteed mushrooms as a side. 

They seemed to be in some kind of wine sauce and were the perfect accompaniment with our steaks.  The side of sweet potato fries

was less successful and needed something to dip them in.

The service was very good, but there was one awkward moment.  You know how in a nice restaurant like LG's there is one main waiter, but several others helping out with clearing plates or filling up water glasses.  When our waiter introduced himself, he also introduced the woman at our table (I think she was dropping off the bread) as his fiancee.  The waitress looked like she wasn't in on the joke and quickly pointed out that she was already married.  Just a weird little moment.

We were so full, we skipped dessert.  And we passed the sign for date shakes

in the window of Palm Springs Fudge and Chocolates (which gets a mention in the 500 Things To Eat book), but the last thing we needed at this point was another date shake.  We walked back to the hotel and called it a night.

LG's Prime Steakhouse
                              255 S. Palm Canyon Drive
                              Palm Springs, CA
                              760-416-1179      
                              <message edited by buffetbuster on Wed, 01/2/13 4:05 PM>

buffetbuster

Re:L.A. Confidential Wed, 01/2/13 4:07 PM (permalink)
                                A question for lleechef.....

Have you ever eaten at the two burger joints previously mentioned, Tyler's in Palm Springs or George's Bar in Cathedral City?  I am curious whether we missed anything special.

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6208
                                  Re:L.A. Confidential Wed, 01/2/13 4:08 PM (permalink)
                                  bb
                                  I have eaten at LG's many times and always enjoyed it....glad you and Mariton did too!!

JRPfeff

• Total Posts: 2367
                                    • Location: Pewaukee, WI & Fuquay-Varina, NC
                                    Re:L.A. Confidential Wed, 01/2/13 8:55 PM (permalink)
                                    buffetbuster

Okay, here is something I don't understand.  This is a very nice upscale restaurant and you would expect there to be some kind of dress code.  And most of the people were dressed appropriately.  But, there was one table in which it surprised me with what they were wearing.  Two of the women wore flip-flops.  One man had on a hoodie, sweatpants and a baseball cap.  Now, I am a very casual person by nature.  I wear a hooded sweatshirt everyday to work during the Winter and jeans and a t-shirt during the Summer.  And I'm not a big fan of getting dressed up for dinner.  But, isn't it kind of expected at a restaurant like LG's?  Maybe I am blaming the wrong party, since it is up to the restaurant to enforce some kind of dress code.  Maybe I am making too big of a deal out of this, since how they were dressed had no effect on our dinner.  It is just a little pet peeve of mine.

I was not planning on taking photos of my food, since in a dark, upscale restaurant, the flash can be very intrusive and distracting.  Once we saw how empty the restaurant was and that there was no one sitting near us, I changed my mind.   

buffetbuster,

These two paragraphs could be opposite ends of the same problem.  Flip-flops & ball caps keeping the well dressed clientele away, or a poor business climate making it necessary to drop the normal dress code standards.  Could also be that anything goes with late night (bedtime) reservations.

jrp

buffetbuster

Re:L.A. Confidential Thu, 01/3/13 8:20 AM (permalink)
                                      Saturday December 1, 2012

Only about six blocks away, we walked to our breakfast destination, Sherman's Deli & Bakery

This is quite a dessert case they have when you first walk in,

which immediately got me thinking to save room for dessert.  The inside

is nondescript and looks like just about any family restaurant.  With this being fairly early in the morning, it was strangely quiet except for the people at the table next to us discussing the David Wright signing with their waiter.  All of whom had thick New York accents.

After such a big dinner the night before, Mariton had no interest in a big breakfast.  She settled on a plain bagel with cream cheese. 

I went for the corned beef and eggs. 

Although certainly not on the same level as the corned beef we recently had at Second Avenue Deli or Carnegie Deli, this corned beef was really good and better than anything I can get in Pittsburgh.  But something about it seemed just a little bit off.  Trust me, I am far from a corned beef expert, but the texture of it seemed, for the lack of a better term, too smooth. 

Oh well, as long as it tasted good.  The home fries were nice and crispy and delicious sour dough toast

came with the meal.

To drink, Mariton asked for a hot cocoa, but was brought hot tea instead, which was an easy problem to fix. 

I had the fresh squeezed orange juice

and in this part of the country, there really is no excuse for not having fresh squeezed orange juice.

Back to those desserts.....  The night before, Roadfooder MilwFoodLovers was nice enough to send me a link on Facebook letting me know that December 1 was national pie day.  I always thought that March 14 (3/14) was national pie day, but who am I to argue with another reason to celebrate pie!  The menu of desserts gives so many great choices, but I eventually decided on an old favorite, banana cream pie.  But instead of getting a big slice, it came as a mini-pie. 

And there were nuts on top.  And the pie seemed to be almost all whipped topping and very little banana.  Considering that dessert case and what I could have ended up with, this was a major disappointment.

Sherman's Deli & Bakery
                                      401 E. Tahquitz Canyon Way
                                      Palm Springs, CA
                                      760-325-1199

We took some time walk around Palm Springs, which really is a gorgeous town. 

And like Hollywood, they do have their own walk of fame, with stars right on the sidewalk. 

One thing that did seem new from the last time I was here was a giant Marilyn Monroe in a little park. 

We explored on foot for about an hour, but soon it was time to go.  We got back on I-10 and headed west.      
                                      <message edited by buffetbuster on Thu, 01/3/13 8:34 AM>

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                                        Re:L.A. Confidential Thu, 01/3/13 8:32 AM (permalink)
                                        I suspect, BB, that the corned beef at Shermans was deli corned beef.Looks just like what I carried in my deli. While the flavor can be good, its usually brought in from an outside source and not prepared on site.Just sliced to order on site. Glad you enjoyed it!

carolina bob

• Total Posts: 3420
                                          Re:L.A. Confidential Thu, 01/3/13 9:41 AM (permalink)
                                          I love that photo of the giant Marilyn Monroe statue. It looks like a scene from one of my favorite 1950s sci-fi movies, ATTACK OF THE 50 FOOT WOMAN.

buffetbuster

Re:L.A. Confidential Thu, 01/3/13 9:45 AM (permalink)
                                            Saturday December 1, 2012 (cont.)

Two hours later, we arrived at where we were having lunch, The Crab Cooker in Newport Beach.  This place hasn't appeared in a Jane & Michael Stern book since the 1986 Roadfood and Goodfood book.  With this being a beach community and it being a beautiful Saturday morning, we anticipated that parking would be an issue.  But, there was plenty of metered parking nearby.  Strangely, the meters would only take enough quarters for an hour max and not every meal can be eaten within an hour.

We liked the place immediately based on the bright red color of the outside.

And whatever you do, please do not look up here. 

Wait, you already looked?  Okay, never mind, let's just move on.  There is a sign

as you go in to remind you to watch your meters, because the parking authority apparently monitors this area heavily.

Immediately upon entering, you are in the fish market side of the business.  And all the seafood in the cases looked so good

and served as a great appetite inducer.  The dining area

is ultra casual and they have a great white shark

dressed as Santa hanging from the ceiling.

Considering how much we both love seafood and how little seafood we have eaten on this trip, we had to resist temptatation to order one of everything, a.k.a., the ChiTownDiner strategy.  Still, everything on the menu looked so long.  Here is half a page

of the menu.  Instead of ordering large entrees, we decided to order smaller portions of many things so that we could sample as much as possible.  First thing up was the fresh clams and oysters. 

Let me tell you, these things never had a chance.  This is quite possibly Mariton's favorite food and she put them away in mere minutes.  The only thing that slowed her down was the fiery hot horseradish sauce, which she said went right up her nose. 

Her eating the clams and oysters was fine with me, because it left me alone with the fresh shrimp and crab cocktail. 

This did indeed taste very fresh, especially the crab and I couldn't have been happier with it.  We both also enjoyed the smoked albacore tuna and salmon dish,

with big firm chunks of the fleshy fish, although there really wasn't that much of a smoked flavor to it.  The crabcakes,

small and with a fair amount of filler, were the weak link of the meal.

You see signs on the outside and again on the menu bragging about the clam chowder, so of course we had to order a bowl of that.  By the time we finished the rest of the food, the chowder still hadn't arrived.  I reminded the waitress and she said she would go get us a bowl.  Ten minutes later, she came back with the check and I had to remind her again.  I felt sorry for her, because she really did fell bad about needing to be reminded twice.  The chowder

is a red chowder, but the menu never calls it a Manhattan clam chowder.  While the flavor of the broth was nice, there was much more vegetables than clams.  Mariton, who I don't think likes red chowders in general didn't care for it, but I still finished it easily.  It just wasn't in the same league as the great clam chowder we had at Brophy Brothers earlier in the trip.

The Crab Cooker
                                            2200 Newport Boulevard
                                            Newport Beach, CA
                                            949-673-0100

When we arrived back at the car, we had four minutes to spare on the parking meter.         
                                            <message edited by buffetbuster on Thu, 01/3/13 10:17 AM>

buffetbuster

Re:L.A. Confidential Thu, 01/3/13 9:53 AM (permalink)
                                              carolina bob

I love that photo of the giant Marilyn Monroe statue. It looks like a scene from one of my favorite 1950s sci-fi movies, ATTACK OF THE 50 FOOT WOMAN.
                                              Imagine how popular the movie Attack of the 50 Foot Marilyn would be?

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3704
                                                Re:L.A. Confidential Thu, 01/3/13 10:04 AM (permalink)
                                                Wow!  That shrimp & crab cocktail is definitely on my menu next time we visit N.B.  I'll order two and consider that to be my entre!

As it is so simple to "do it right" it always mystifies me why one can't - with the exception of a few 'high-end' restaurants - get a decent, everyday crabcake except in Baltimore/Annapolis. 

(The rest of the world seems to think a crabcake is a salmon croquette with crab instead of salmon).

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3704
                                                  Re:L.A. Confidential Thu, 01/3/13 10:09 AM (permalink)
                                                  buffetbuster

carolina bob

Imagine how popular the movie Attack of the 50 Foot Marilyn would be?

Imagine if those standing under Marilyn who "look up" should see this:

buffetbuster

Re:L.A. Confidential Thu, 01/3/13 10:29 AM (permalink)
                                                    MetroplexJim-
                                                    Very funny!  And I agree about the crabcakes.  In fact, I almost never order them outside of the Chesapeake Bay region, although Mariton did get a good one as part of a seafood platter at Hyman's in Charleston this past weekend.

lleechef

Re:L.A. Confidential Thu, 01/3/13 11:14 AM (permalink)
                                                      buffetbuster

A question for lleechef.....

Have you ever eaten at the two burger joints previously mentioned, Tyler's in Palm Springs or George's Bar in Cathedral City?  I am curious whether we missed anything special.

bb
                                                      I have been to Tyler's.  Several years ago I went there with RedPatti, Jeff and Zman.  We waited for over one hour for a table and it was definitely worth it.  Great burgers! 

<message edited by lleechef on Thu, 01/3/13 11:20 AM>

lleechef

Re:L.A. Confidential Thu, 01/3/13 11:32 AM (permalink)
                                                        I am SHOCKED by the price of the King Crab legs.....$39.95!!   I often found them at Stater Bros. Market in DHS for $6.99 which was cheaper than in Anchorage!

buffetbuster

Re:L.A. Confidential Thu, 01/3/13 12:51 PM (permalink)
                                                          lleechef- 
                                                          You expect to pay more in Southern California, but that does high for King Crab legs.  And thanks for the feedback on Tyler's Burgers.  It will be at the top of the "must eat" list next time in Palm Springs.
                                                          <message edited by buffetbuster on Thu, 01/3/13 12:53 PM>

The Travelin Man

• Location: Central FL
                                                            Re:L.A. Confidential Thu, 01/3/13 1:42 PM (permalink)
                                                            Obviously, they come from different parts of the world, but word on the street is that stone crab claws are at a huge premium this year because of the shortages brought in by the local fishing boats. Is there a similar shortage for king crab?

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: << < ..11121314 > | Showing page 11 of 14, messages 301 to 330 of 414

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com