Hot!L.A. Confidential

Page: << < ..1112131415 > Showing page 14 of 15
Author
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10474
Re:L.A. Confidential 2013/01/13 13:41:28 (permalink)
lleechef-
Thanks so much for letting me know that about the Mission Inn.  I will try and find the article on line.

Here is the article.
post edited by buffetbuster - 2013/01/13 14:32:01
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4306
Re:L.A. Confidential 2013/01/13 14:08:37 (permalink)
Wow, what a great Roadfood trip report, Buffetbuster!

I haven't been to LA since 2008, and I'm getting an urge to return, now.  I wanted to go to Killer Shrimp, but they were out of business.  I got to Apple Pan, but they were closed on Sunday.  So was Langer's
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:L.A. Confidential 2013/01/13 14:15:26 (permalink)
Hey MiamiDon, you may want to change your Roadfood password.  It appears TheTravelin Man has hacked into your account!
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4116
Re:L.A. Confidential 2013/01/13 16:25:06 (permalink)
Well, BB, here's some of the differences between Cole's and Phillipe's:

Cole's Beef dip with cheese

Phillipe's lamb dip

Tray with beets and cole slaw at Phillipes

Cole's spicy garlic sweet potato fries

Cole's Interior

Phillipe's Counter

So, what do you think?
post edited by EdSails - 2013/01/13 16:26:56
agnesrob
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1790
Re:L.A. Confidential 2013/01/13 17:02:00 (permalink)
As always, when I come to the end of your reports I feel like I am at the end of a favorite book! Thanks so much for taking the time to post all of the reports you do!
MacTAC
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 432
Re:L.A. Confidential 2013/01/13 17:21:24 (permalink)
buffetbuster

Hey MiamiDon, you may want to change your Roadfood password.  It appears TheTravelin Man has hacked into your account!
LOL!

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:L.A. Confidential 2013/01/14 15:29:05 (permalink)
EdSails-
Thanks so much for the photos.  They both look good to me.  I really like the look of Cole's with the dark wood and the booths.  My previous visit to Cole's was late at night, we were tired and that probably didn't help our opinion of the place.  I need to give them another shot. 
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
Re:L.A. Confidential 2013/01/16 23:46:44 (permalink)
I was prepared to like Cole's. It was opaque, a dark bar with little light and the looks of a 50's club. There was a 5-dollar manhattan available if we ordered a large sandwich. The location in the jewelry district of downtown L.A. makes it seem almost as if in another city and time. The sandwich, however, was not all that special. Phillipe's while also atmospheric, has a much better sandwich. Cole's was just okay. it wasn't a ripoff, the manhattan was good but Trudy and i preferred a  prime rib French dip at London's in Pasadena,, a delightful t sandwich that stirs the memory.
post edited by mr chips - 2014/01/25 03:17:35
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:L.A. Confidential 2013/01/17 20:57:03 (permalink)
mr chips-
I hope you take the time to write about your recent adventures in Southern California, either here or in your own trip report.  Looking forward to reading about where you ate.
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
Re:L.A. Confidential 2013/01/18 19:01:36 (permalink)
I will Cliff. I took ill in California and today is the first day i have had much energy in the last week.
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:L.A. Confidential 2013/01/18 19:07:09 (permalink)
Good to hear you are felling a little better.
mr chips

I will Cliff. I took ill in California and today is the first day i have had much energy in the last week.

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:L.A. Confidential 2013/01/18 19:08:24 (permalink)
Glad to hear you are feeling better Jim and looking forward to the report.
EliseT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2888
Re:L.A. Confidential 2013/01/22 18:47:37 (permalink)
There are a number of Roscoe's locations. Unless you hit the one in Hollywood, they are unpredictable.

Glenn1234
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 578
Re:L.A. Confidential 2013/10/21 17:41:49 (permalink)

Wow!  It was great to be able to re-read though this comprehensive report again!   

Janet and I will be heading out to Southern California again this upcoming Thanksgiving.   I found it a funny coincidence that we flew out there on Thanksgiving Day 2 years ago (2011), and the first place we ate was DuPar's (they were one of the few places open that day).    Then, a year later (2012), BuffetBister flew out on Thanksgiving Day and hit DuPar's as his first stop. 

Now again, Janet and I will be flying out on Thanksgiving Day (2013).    Yup, we plan to hit Du-Par's first. 

Buffetbuster -  You need to plan to fly out there for Thanksgiving 2014 to keep the pattern going! 

Glenn

love2bake
  • Total Posts : 1477
Re:L.A. Confidential 2013/10/22 07:43:32 (permalink)
I'm glad Glenn bumped this report!  I've been wanting to visit SoCal again for a while now, but postponed it because of a job this summer.  This report is one I'll be "mining" to help me refine my plans.

When you mentioned the "smooth" corned beef, it reminded me that most of the corned beef and pastrami out here are not brisket, as is prevalent back east.  Rather, I believe some major producer(s) use eye of round or some similar type cut, which makes for a very different product.  Maybe someone else can expand on this, but that's what I've seen the most of out here.  I'm not a fan of it.
BackRhodes
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 726
Re:L.A. Confidential 2014/01/12 14:34:16 (permalink)
mar52
Did your pancakes separate horizontally when cutting them?  Asking because it has happened the last few times I went there.  Doesn't detract from the taste or enjoyment...  I just wonder why.

Underdone...???   Grill a little too cool...???
BackRhodes
Double Cheeseburger
Re:L.A. Confidential 2014/01/12 14:52:32 (permalink)
mr chips 
i preferred a  prime rib French dip at Loondon's in Pasadena,, a delightful t sandwich that stirs the memory.

I'll have to check this place out...even though I'm a country boy that avoids LA like the black plague...

At least Coles gives you Au Jus to actually dip in...

Mar & I have had a debate in the past about the practice of dipping the meat first, then putting it on a bun, which in my opinion creates a real soggy **mess** ...

I went to Philippe's because it was within walking distance to LA Union Station...(If I'm in that area again I'll go eat Mexican on Olvera Street instead)...

I don't really care about the "who invented the F.D." advertising wars...but I **do** know what I like, and what I like is a F.D. that is moist but NOT pre-dipped, on a dry bun/roll and a bowl of Au Jus to actually dip it into... Coles & Philippes are the only places on earth I've seen where they pre-dip the sandwich, and I'll never go there again...

In my **jaded** opinion the very BEST French Dip is at "Jax by the tracks" in Truckee...so big you could easily feed two people...their CFS is also recommended...

BackRhodes
Double Cheeseburger
Re:L.A. Confidential 2014/01/12 15:14:55 (permalink)
buffetbuster 
it is sad but true that El Gallito was as good if not better than any we have here in Pittsburgh. 

That must have come as a real shock, huh...???

A friend of mine is a yak rancher in northern Maine...poor boy has not had real Mexican food since 2000 when here in CA...

I just don't think of anyplace east of the Big Muddy as having decent Mexican food, while I could be wrong and there might be a **few** places authentico, as a native of CA & traveled around the southwest eating where Campesino's eat I cannot fathom Mexican food in Philly...just as not every Mexican food place in the SW is great...as always, our  results will vary...

PS..."Pico De Gallo" is also a salsa, and even the title of a song...
post edited by BackRhodes - 2014/01/12 15:16:32
BackRhodes
Double Cheeseburger
Re:L.A. Confidential 2014/01/12 15:31:22 (permalink)
buffetbuster

LG's Prime Steak House.  

Okay, here is something I don't understand.  This is a very nice upscale restaurant and you would expect there to be some kind of dress code.  And most of the people were dressed appropriately.  But, there was one table in which it surprised me with what they were wearing.  Two of the women wore flip-flops.  One man had on a hoodie, sweatpants and a baseball cap. 

Welcome to California...some folks are very casual 24/7/365...also, many of them not only do not know HOW to dress for dinner, they also just don't HAVE the clothes to do it. I know people like that guy in the hoodie & sweatpants, and that's all he wears...

buffetbuster
Now, I am a very casual person by nature.  I wear a hooded sweatshirt everyday to work during the Winter and jeans and a t-shirt during the Summer.  And I'm not a big fan of getting dressed up for dinner.  But, isn't it kind of expected at a restaurant like LG's?  Maybe I am blaming the wrong party, since it is up to the restaurant to enforce some kind of dress code.  Maybe I am making too big of a deal out of this, since how they were dressed had no effect on our dinner.  It is just a little pet peeve of mine. 

It's been a long time since I've seen a place enforce dress codes. Does the restaurant want a profitable bottom line, decorum that Miss Manners would approve of, or something in the middle...???

After living in tourist oriented places here in "the west", it's not unusual for folks to dress casual while on vacation, and most vacationers probably have limited room in luggage for spiffy clothes, especially for those that fly in...

I'm a casual guy that is also sometimes amazed at what people will wear (in many situations) but that's life in modern times where the "dumbing down" continues unabated...
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:L.A. Confidential 2014/01/12 16:13:36 (permalink)
BackRhodes,
one of the nice things about Philippe's is they don't make the sandwiches until you ar at the counter. You can ask for them dipped, double-dipped (both halves) or dry. I am sure they would be happy to give you a bowl or au jus on the side if you asked for it. 

Based upon what you said on another thread, I would stay away from Olvera Street for food. It's is basically tourist food and not what you or I seem to like and get for Mexican food. They probably do put sour cream on tacos at some of the places on Olvera Street. Lots of margaritas and hard shell tacos and combo plates made for American tastes. If you don't want Philippe's, walk past Philippe's parking lot and you'll come to CBS Seafood, an excellent Chinese restaurant that's the border of Chinatown. That might be a better choice. they have dim sum. It would hold it's own in SF's Chinatown. 

You are really getting me excited about my trip to Jax's in a few weeks---now I don't know whether to get the CFS or the French dip! 

You hit it right on the dress----I'm a casual guy too, but if I go to a decent restaurant I will dress appropriately. Same thing on a cruise---I always bring a tux. I think it's poor taste to go to a place like LG's dressed like a gangbanger. Dumbing down is right!
easydoesit
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 554
Re:L.A. Confidential 2014/01/13 13:26:03 (permalink)
Just a note on the dress thing -- eruby has a great thread now on New Orleans, and had some fine food at Galatoire's. 

We were in New Orleans some months after Katrina, with much of the city still closed down or rebuilding.  We stayed on Bourbon Street, and one noontime were walking by Galatoire's and decided to go in.  My wife looked fine, as always, but I was wearing a golf shirt and jeans.  We knew they required coats there, and went to the maitre'd and said we wanted to respect their customs, but did we look okay to sit down.

They were VERY gracious, and seated us at a prominent table.  Almost without exception, the other customers were dressed in better attire, but we were made to feel nothing except very welcome.

And what a meal!!  And that bread!

chewingthefat
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6186
Re:L.A. Confidential 2014/01/14 17:24:02 (permalink)
love2bake

I'm glad Glenn bumped this report!  I've been wanting to visit SoCal again for a while now, but postponed it because of a job this summer.  This report is one I'll be "mining" to help me refine my plans.

When you mentioned the "smooth" corned beef, it reminded me that most of the corned beef and pastrami out here are not brisket, as is prevalent back east.  Rather, I believe some major producer(s) use eye of round or some similar type cut, which makes for a very different product.  Maybe someone else can expand on this, but that's what I've seen the most of out here.  I'm not a fan of it.

The Pastrami at Langer's is made from the Navel, fantastic cut for the best Pastrami!They get it from Burbank's RC Fine Provisions, the same place I get my Pastrami, thru Sysco, who I hate doing business with.

EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:L.A. Confidential 2014/01/14 17:29:46 (permalink)
chewingthefat

love2bake

The Pastrami at Langer's is made from the Navel, fantastic cut for the best Pastrami!They get it from Burbank's RC Fine Provisions, the same place I get my Pastrami, thru Sysco, who I hate doing business with.

Honestly, I don't recall seeing it from anything except from brisket. Langers is a guilty pleasure I go for every once in a while. Katella Deli and Brent's are both definitely brisket. 
ces1948
  • Total Posts : 1512
Re:L.A. Confidential 2014/01/24 21:44:35 (permalink)
I'm looking at a booklet from Boar's Head deli products and they have a corned beef and pastrami from top round as well as what they describe as a first cut corned beef and pastrami brisket. I'm pretty sure our local Boar's Head sources (mainly Publix) sells only the top round version. I'll have to double check next time I'm in the store.
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3763
Re:L.A. Confidential 2014/05/15 13:34:19 (permalink)
Had the opportunity to re-visit LA and show some work colleagues around. They loved the La Brea Tar Pits - being science-y types and all. 

As for meals, I was able to hit Pie 'n Burger in Pasadena, Apple Pan, Du-Pars (which, despite it not being Thanksgiving, still served me some pancakes), Randy's Donuts, and Killer Shrimp. The guys I was with loved all - most especially Killer Shrimp and the Apple Pan last night. One of the other guys found a Japanese fondue restaurant near the convention center that was also a hit - unfortunately, the name escapes me right now.

Funny story from Apple Pan: Guy comes in with his girlfriend and sits to our left just as we're finishing burgers and ordering pie. I had told my colleagues that the banana pie was the way to go, despite the name of the place being the Apple Pan and them having apple pie on the menu. Guy looks at me and asks if all three of us are ordering the banana cream pie and I tell him yes. He looks at his girlfriend and says "all the years I've been coming and ordering the apple pie...looks like I gotta try the banana cream now." We sat there long enough to see them get their banana cream pie, which they split (freakin' amateurs). I looked over with a raised eyebrow and the guy just gave me the Nod of Approval. I do love turning other people on to gems.

I am off to San Diego for one night tonight and then back to the OC for some college baseball tomorrow and Saturday before heading up to northern Cal for Sunday, Monday and Tuesday.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:L.A. Confidential 2014/05/15 13:53:26 (permalink)
Good stuff TTM!  Though I am still confused why Du-Par's was offering pancakes and it wasn't even Thanksgiving.

You know that the banana cream pie at Apple Pan is good when you, Mr. apple pie himself, goes in a different direction.
Glenn1234
Double Cheeseburger
Re:L.A. Confidential 2014/05/19 13:36:33 (permalink)

I didn't know that Du-Par's was even open any other day than Thanksgiving.  ;)    I've been there twice ... Thanksgiving 2011 and Thanksgiving 2013.  Pancakes both times!   Weren't you guys there for Thanksgiving 2012?  There needs to be a new rule that at least one roadfooder must eat pancakes at Du-Par's on Thanksgiving every year.

Glenn

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:L.A. Confidential 2014/05/19 15:06:40 (permalink)
Glenn1234-
Looks like it is my turn for 2014!
Glenn1234
Double Cheeseburger
Re:L.A. Confidential 2014/05/19 22:14:57 (permalink)
buffetbuster

Glenn1234-
Looks like it is my turn for 2014!

Yup. 
Of course, a major reason for going to Du-Par's on Thanksgiving Day is that it is one of the few decent places open.  It was just coincidental that Janet and I happened to be out in the L.A. area  around Thanksgiving for 2 of the past 3 years. 

Glenn

EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:L.A. Confidential 2014/05/19 22:46:16 (permalink)
AS TTM mentioned, he came to the OC this weekend for B&B (baseball and burgers). He met me at one of my newer favorite places, Slater's 50/50. The signature patty is the 50/50, with 50% ground beef and 50% ground bacon. Here's TTM with his first Slater's 50/50 burger:

Just to be on the safe side, TTM ordered bacon on his cheeseburger. 

I've been wanting to try a New Mexico Chile burger but haven't had the chance yet. Instead, I made up my own New Mexico burger at Slaters. I started with a 2/3 lb. 50/50 patty, topped it with fire-roasted green chiles, mexican Cotija cheese, grilled onions and------Frito's. It made an amazingly good combo. 

You can see how nicely cooked the patty is"

And how nicely the toppings worked. 

We ordered onion rings to share.

I just wish we had room for their famous Bacon Brownie!

I look forward to having TTM comment on the meal. TTM, thanks for joining me!
post edited by EdSails - 2014/05/20 01:17:15
Page: << < ..1112131415 > Showing page 14 of 15
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1